Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 3 01:37 - Jun 22 with 10360 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A potentially bad day after two losers (including the NAP Happy Like A Fool) was rescued somewhat by Qemah winning the Duke Of Cambridge (I had £20 on at 5/2) and a 10/1 placer in the last race. So a small loss on the day of about £20 as well as some free bets in the end to follow the high of Tuesday. Still, three figure profit after the Wednesday racing ends is something I would’ve bitten your hand off for if offered before play on Tuesday. More importantly, I’ve had a good time. Cracking day out on day 1 at the track before enjoying the racing Wednesday with my brother, nan and grandad. Good fun to be had in the sun in the swimming pool in between racing too. You have to love Royal Ascot week in sunny June don’t you?
On to day three, Gold Cup day, and the middle day of the week. Many will know by the end of the day if they are heading for a winning or losing week. Racing wise, it’s the lowest quality racing day of the five in my honest opinion. The last race, the King George V Handicap, is the worst race of the week — by an absolute mile too.

2:30 — Norfolk Stakes (Group 2)
Wesley Ward has the favourite (McErin) but has had a mixed week so far. Arawak blew out in the Coventry before Lady Aurelia tore the King’s Stand field apart. Then, Nootka Sound blew out and Happy Like A Fool (his ‘best chance of the week’) was beaten before a 20/1 winner to end day 2. McErin will run better on turf according to his trainer but I think he should be taken on here. Santry is a bigger threat based on his second start to defy a penalty whilst True Blue Moon is also two wins from as many starts. Havana Grey won the National Stakes which is a good yardstick to where he is at and the fourth that day, Sound and Silence, won the Windsor Castle Stakes on Tuesday. The selection for me is CARDSHARP who will take them along quickly from the off. He failed to stay 6f at Epsom behind a useful sort in the Woodcote before winning nicely over 5f at Beverley and, as I had hoped that day, the drop in trip was perfect for him. He is a cracking price at 16/1 here in my opinion as I genuinely expected much shorter. He is a nice each way bet for this I think. Nine Below Zero looks like being a decent horse in his own right based on his impressive Windsor victory.

3:05 — Hampton Court Stakes (Group 3)
BENBATL was always seen as Godolphin’s Derby horse and ran a cracking race to finish 5th. Whilst the drop back in trip 2f doesn’t look particularly helpful on paper, the 1m 2f trip is quite a stiff trip and so it make not be as big an issue as you might expect. Mirage Dancer flew home behind Cliffs Of Moher in the Dee Stakes at Chester but he was so far off the pace, that isn’t a surprise really. He has potential to improve though. Irishcorrespondant was third in the Irish 2000 Guineas behind Churchill but I don’t think it was a race full of depth. Orderofthegarter was 6th but beaten only 3l in the French Derby. He did meet interference though and this is weaker. As races go, this should be a very interesting one though with the main four in the market all open to improvement and a change in luck.

3:40 — Ribblesdale Stakes (Group 2)
I had a small antepost play on Gracious Diana for the Oaks (as well as Shutter Speed) after her impressive maiden victory beating Mori. Unfortunately, she ran poorly next time when favourite at Newbury when appearing not to stay the trip on soft ground. She will be better I think on this ground but perhaps not good enough against some here in a decent race for fillies. Mori has won both starts after that defeat to Gracious Diana and is bred to be a superstar coming from the mighty Frankel and brilliant mare Midday. She beat Coconut Crème in the latter victory and should confirm that form. Alluringly was a solid third in the Oaks but that was run during a thunderstorm and ran at a frantic pace so is hardly a replica of the lovely weather and ground she will meet here. CORONET was further back that day before finishing well to come 5th. Whilst it is likely she will improve if stepped up to 1m 6f, the faster ground seems to her liking and this stiffer race should help. I can see her keeping on up the straight in good style and run them down. Astronomy’s Choice won a good maiden on debut before a solid third in a listed event when stepped up to 1m 2f and her breeding suggests this further test will benefit. She has also run both of her races on fast ground which shows she will surely run her race at the very least. I just am not sure that she will have the class of some in this.

4:20 — Ascot Gold Cup (Group 1)
Whilst last year’s winner Order of St George is a worthy favourite, I do not believe even money is value here. I do have him at 9/4 antepost in a few multiples after his defeat on his reappearance (seemingly expected by the yard as the vibes weren’t good before the race and he drifted markedly) so I wouldn’t be too dissapointed if he won but at 10/11, the price has gone for a single. The fact that he will go off at a bigger price than what Ribchester did in the Queen Anne is laughable really. Even though the French raider Vazirabad is not here, this is a better standard than most years for the premium European stayers race. There won’t be a more popular winner of the week than if Big Orange was to win. He is unbelievably game off the front which is a big plus and though this is his first try at the trip, he will surely stay. There are no doubts whatsoever about whether the Sagaro Stakes and Cesarewitch winner SWEET SELECTION will stay though and she looks to be improving. She also gets an allowance for being a filly. The same applies to the St Leger heroine Simple Verse who is definitely classy enough and is another gutsy runner in the race. I feel that if it does become a stamina sapping battle in the straight, the Ballydoyle favourite may not have the fight in him that my selection, Big Orange or Simple Verse have despite him being a previous winner.

5:00 — Britannia Stakes (Heritage Handicap)
The Royal Hunt Cup on Wednesday’s card is notoriously a nightmare for punters and it lived up to that with the winner at 25/1 and the placed horses at 16/1, 66/1 and 20/1. This race is arguably even harder with 32 horses lining up and they are 3 year olds up the straight mile too. Finding the winner looks extremely tough and it just isn’t one to go big on. The higher drawn numbers appear to be doing better in the straight course handicaps and the top three in the betting are all drawn in the top half. Son Of The Stars is at the head of the market based on his two all weather wins in as many starts and then a solid second to Ronald R who also runs here. Both have obvious chances. Tricorn has done well but this a big step up. The extra 1f looks to be against Keyser Soze whilst City Of Joy looks a big danger under Ryan Moore. Leader’s Legacy is up 5lb for a nice win at Haydock but he looked useful that day and shouldn’t be discounted. Horroob has shown a decent turn of foot on the all-weather but the step up to a mile doesn’t look helpful. Rusamaat has everything in his favour apart from his weight. It would be a tremendous effort to win off top weight but at least conditions are in his favour. MEDAHIM blew out in his only attempt at a mile which explains his big price but that was clearly not his true form that day and he has bounced back well on his latest start to rattle home as a close second over 7f. Surely the feared extra furlong will actually suit the horse? He is available at the time of writing at 25/1 but instead I have taken 22/1 with Betway who are paying 6 places. He is a decent price for an each way bet in a tough but big betting race.

5:35 — King George V Stakes (Handicap)
Whilst I don’t think it’s a particularly high class race, it is an open one to end day three. It is always the aim of the punter to find a possible group horse in a handicap and ATTY PERSSE (NAP) looks nailed on to be a group horse next season. Two wins from two races to start his career before a fair run in second last time out is a great start. He is well handicapped whilst also showing that he has plenty of improvement in him as he matures in each start suggests he is in with a cracking chance. The only negative is the draw. Tartini may go well but is frustrating at the end of his races even after travelling smoothly. He can’t be trusted even after this further drop in class for a horse originally fancied for the Derby before struggling in each start to get his head in front. His temperament doesn’t look great for sure though he has shown ability in patches. Homesman will likely go well off top weight for Ryan Moore. Daawy, Master Singer and Weekender look the remaining dangers.

My bets:
2:30 — CARDSHARP @ 16/1 each way
3:05 — BENBATL @ 9/2
3:40 — CORONET @ 15/2
4:20 — SWEET SELECTION @ 16/1 each way
5:00 — MEDAHIM @ 22/1 each way
5:35 — ATTY PERSSE (NAP) @ 11/2

Edit - I forgot to say...

Good luck all,
Keeeeeeeeeep winning!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 8:38]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 3 on 18:29 - Jun 22 with 813 viewsRyorry

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 3 on 17:44 - Jun 22 by The_Romford_Blue

You absolute beautiful man!!!

Get in there. Group horse in a handicap.

The NAP lands.

What a horse.

£450 profit from the start of the week

£230 profit today

Well done Rommy, super day for you :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 3 on 19:07 - Jun 22 with 791 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 3 on 18:29 - Jun 22 by Ryorry

Well done Rommy, super day for you :)

I'm delighted R

Absolutely delighted

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024