Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free Tuition Fees 09:35 - Jun 22 with 10208 viewsusm

Apparently, we would have to offer free tuition fees to all EU individuals if we introduced it, at least until we exit the EU (and probably for the unlimited "transitional period" thereafter." And presumably pay off all existing tuition fee loans.
Just as well they didnt get in.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Free Tuition Fees on 12:20 - Jun 22 with 3274 viewsSwansea_Blue

Free Tuition Fees on 11:58 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. As I said last week, regardless of whether austerity has harmed our ability to protect our citizens from terror attacks or whether it was responsible for the Grenfell tragedy I think we have reached the point where we can no longer run the country on the cheap.

As well intended as they are, Jezza's magic money tree policies have been taken apart by the IFS and will do more harm than good to the economy, which would then plunge us back into recession and heap even more austerity on the country.

We really need a third way. A centrist leader or party who will be business friendly, whilst at the same time investing the tax receipts into our public services.

A Blair 2.0?

You've become a massive libtard snowflake since you sent off that letter to dear Ruth

Anti-austerity, posting charity links. You'll be seeing the stupidity of Brexit soon....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Free Tuition Fees on 12:28 - Jun 22 with 3263 viewsconnorscontract

Indeed. As I said last week, regardless of whether austerity has harmed our ability to protect our citizens from terror attacks or whether it was responsible for the Grenfell tragedy I think we have reached the point where we can no longer run the country on the cheap.

As well intended as they are, Jezza's magic money tree policies have been taken apart by the IFS and will do more harm than good to the economy, which would then plunge us back into recession and heap even more austerity on the country.

We really need a third way. A centrist leader or party who will be business friendly, whilst at the same time investing the tax receipts into our public services.

A Blair 2.0?

Blair wasn't the Messiah, he was a really naughty boy.

In his case "Naughtiest thing you've ever done?" was "Running amok in oil-fields".
Free Tuition Fees on 13:33 - Jun 22 with 3221 viewsNo9

A Blair 2.0?

I take issue with you over the money tree because it isn't a money tree at all it is just re-directing what finances are generated via taxes etc. in fact whe I hear tories say this I do feel a bit insulted because i can read the ONS data.
As you will know the HoC Public Accounts Committe was seriously critical over the failures of HMRC to collect taxes from the wealthy but, that is just part of the equation.
We have had a blue government for about 7 years now and the public finances are worse than they were in 2010 - both the Chancellor and the treasury spokesman have confiemd the tories doubled the national debt - no argument.
In addition to this Rowntree says there are 19 millon people in the UK living in poverty, Shelter say 43% of dwellings are substandard.
I think you agree that this cannot go on ? By not spreading the money around things will get worse.
Handing out Corporate Welfare has made things worse not better.
I would encourage you to look at the £ Billions that have been givven away to wealthy Corps & individuals and ask if that largess could not havebeen better used?
I could go on and ask many more questions about governemtn waste that could be better spent but it would take up too mauch space, BUT it IS a major problem and the poor don't have the money to make it right
Free Tuition Fees on 13:39 - Jun 22 with 3216 viewsPilgrimblue

A Blair 2.0?

And that can only come from taxation. Jezza's plans would have wrecked the economy although he wouldn't have lasted long.
Scotland get away with free fees at the expense of more urgent needs and at our cost.
Tories need to raise income tax/NI to spread the load and while it maybe popular to increase Corporation Tax, we need to attract business and investment to pay for the wish list of the worst off.
Free Tuition Fees on 13:41 - Jun 22 with 3214 viewsNo9

Free Tuition Fees on 13:39 - Jun 22 by Pilgrimblue

And that can only come from taxation. Jezza's plans would have wrecked the economy although he wouldn't have lasted long.
Scotland get away with free fees at the expense of more urgent needs and at our cost.
Tories need to raise income tax/NI to spread the load and while it maybe popular to increase Corporation Tax, we need to attract business and investment to pay for the wish list of the worst off.

"Tories need to raise income tax/NI to spread the load"

Yes BUT, the prople at the bottom have nothing to give, the basic cost of living is too high for those on PT work & 0 hr contracts.
Free Tuition Fees on 14:43 - Jun 22 with 3185 viewsjontysnut

Free Tuition Fees on 10:59 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Shame you feel like that. University fees go towards everything you need to run and maintain a university, from the buildings to maintenance, utilities, academic staff, support staff, all the suppliers, etc.

Fee money tends not to go on research. Some of it may indirectly, as it covers academic staff salaries. But as a lot of research is undertaken outside of what most people would call a normal working week, it would be hard to quantify that component of it. Academics are expected to generate their own income for research through applying for research grants.

Universities are incredibly expensive places to run due to the large infrastructure costs, often in prime locations in Cities. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting appropriate contact time. And there's no excuse for uninspiring course content.

the Vice Chancellor of the University of Bath earned £451,000 in 2015/16
Free Tuition Fees on 14:46 - Jun 22 with 3178 viewsusm

A Blair 2.0?

A British Macron ???

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Free Tuition Fees on 15:05 - Jun 22 with 3165 viewsSwansea_Blue

Free Tuition Fees on 14:43 - Jun 22 by jontysnut

Which was an 11% pay rise over the previous year. Same as any other business I suppose; the ones at the top always seem protected.

Login to get fewer ads

Free Tuition Fees on 20:23 - Jun 22 with 3125 viewsNo9

Free Tuition Fees on 14:46 - Jun 22 by usm

A British Macron ???

The right would not accept that
Free Tuition Fees on 01:18 - Jun 23 with 3097 viewsGiveusaWave

Free Tuition Fees on 10:40 - Jun 22 by Sarge

Hmm.

Universities, it seems to me, are colossal money wasters. I'm doing my masters at Imperial College, the fees are £11k. All I seem to get for that is free access to MATLAB (which would otherwise be ~£100 I think) and free access to journals and technical papers etc.

The quality of teaching is not good, the modules and projects are uninspiring and don't make use of the university's scientific facilities. So if they're not spending the tuition fees on tuition, what are they spending it on?

My guess is that my fees help fund their research, and in return I'm allowed to earn a degree with almost no help from them but that has their name on it.

Same situation with most of them. Doing mine at University of Liverpool. Exactly the same situation.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Free Tuition Fees on 08:47 - Jun 23 with 3071 viewslowhouseblue

Free Tuition Fees on 01:18 - Jun 23 by GiveusaWave

Same situation with most of them. Doing mine at University of Liverpool. Exactly the same situation.

unfortunately many universities see taught masters as a cash cow. they can repackage material from the final undergrad year add a bit around the edges and let their graduate students do some teaching. it can become a way of faculties meeting overheads - with big incentives to invent new masters courses and take more people.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Free Tuition Fees on 08:54 - Jun 23 with 3071 viewschicoazul

Free Tuition Fees on 11:31 - Jun 22 by itfcjoe

I've got a friend who works a t a university in recruitment - she says the money wasted is just unreal. There's no business mind to it, they'll get loads of signs and everything printed up for an open day at a significant cost; when the next one comes round they are lost and so they just get them re-done - countless examples of things like that.

The pay is really good too and massive expenses on trips abroad to check in on affiliate schools and teaching standards and try and recruit more students which from the sounds of things are mostly unnecessary.

I felt ripped off at £3k a year, and got nothing for it.

Should a Uni, or anything in the public sector for that matter, be run with a "business mind"? I imagine many local companies rely on the Uni you mention spending their money with them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Free Tuition Fees on 08:55 - Jun 23 with 3070 viewschicoazul

A Blair 2.0?

Blair was our Gadaffi, our Tito. Look what happened since he left.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Free Tuition Fees on 08:56 - Jun 23 with 3064 viewschicoazul

Free Tuition Fees on 14:43 - Jun 22 by jontysnut

Is that unreasonable? To me that sounds about right for running what I expect is a large complex organisation.

Free Tuition Fees on 08:58 - Jun 23 with 3062 viewschicoazul

Free Tuition Fees on 20:23 - Jun 22 by No9

The right would not accept that

This implies that a centrist unifier a "Macron" couldnt come from the right which, given the very large support for the Tory party at the last election, seems wrong.

Free Tuition Fees on 09:02 - Jun 23 with 3058 viewsSwansea_Blue

Free Tuition Fees on 08:54 - Jun 23 by chicoazul

Should a Uni, or anything in the public sector for that matter, be run with a "business mind"? I imagine many local companies rely on the Uni you mention spending their money with them.

They increasingly are. They're operating in a highly, and increasingly competitive market place. Even a medium-sized one is going to have a turnover of £250-300m per year. We recruit from the private sector for key roles in non-academic departments.

Free Tuition Fees on 09:41 - Jun 23 with 3045 views26_Paz

Free Tuition Fees on 10:40 - Jun 22 by Sarge

Hmm.

Universities, it seems to me, are colossal money wasters. I'm doing my masters at Imperial College, the fees are £11k. All I seem to get for that is free access to MATLAB (which would otherwise be ~£100 I think) and free access to journals and technical papers etc.

The quality of teaching is not good, the modules and projects are uninspiring and don't make use of the university's scientific facilities. So if they're not spending the tuition fees on tuition, what are they spending it on?

My guess is that my fees help fund their research, and in return I'm allowed to earn a degree with almost no help from them but that has their name on it.

Absolutely agree with this. I went to uni before top up fees so paid like £2k a year and even felt that was pricey for what I actually got! 9 hours a week of lectures delivered by totally uninspiring lecturers who clearly didn't want to be there god forbid they actually had to talk to someone rather than sit on their own writing some useless paper that no one will ever read (except to take a couple of quotes from to put in an essay to jump through the hoops required to get a degree)

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024