Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? 22:32 - Jun 22 with 9454 viewsVic

I hear many doomsday warnings, but no one says what the worst actually is. Will we become a third world country in Europe? Will we become like Romania or one of the former communist countries?

Genuine question.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 13:48 - Jun 23 with 1973 viewsNo9

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 13:10 - Jun 23 by blue_oyster

Then he's ignoring the fact that the trigger to leave was discussed in Parliament, and legislation passed which is constitutional.

Did you read what he published?
He deals with just what you note
What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 14:11 - Jun 23 with 1962 viewsblue_oyster

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 13:48 - Jun 23 by No9

Did you read what he published?
He deals with just what you note

Yes thanks. Did you?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 17:20 - Jun 23 with 1931 viewsVic

So basically no one knows!

Several of you mention queues at borders, etc, but I'm really not sure why this should be. I've traveled to several countries outside of the EU and rarely had any significant wait to get in or out of those countries so I'm not sure why it will be a problem for us here.

It's interesting that most comments seem to me to focus on the short term rather than long term. I've always thought that there would be negative short term consequences - probably a recession of some sort. But I also think that long term, i.e. In ten to twenty years time, we'll be fine and trading widely around the world again, and crucially for me, free from Brussels and EU beaurocracy, a proper sovereign nation again.

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 17:33 - Jun 23 with 1925 viewsSteve_M

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 17:20 - Jun 23 by Vic

So basically no one knows!

Several of you mention queues at borders, etc, but I'm really not sure why this should be. I've traveled to several countries outside of the EU and rarely had any significant wait to get in or out of those countries so I'm not sure why it will be a problem for us here.

It's interesting that most comments seem to me to focus on the short term rather than long term. I've always thought that there would be negative short term consequences - probably a recession of some sort. But I also think that long term, i.e. In ten to twenty years time, we'll be fine and trading widely around the world again, and crucially for me, free from Brussels and EU beaurocracy, a proper sovereign nation again.

And the same applies to any future benefits. Real tangible ones that affect people's living standards rather than ephemeral ones.

I was referring to delays for customs checking goods not so much for people. With integrated supply chains that is a big problem for many companies. We don't have the infrastructure to cope with that at UK ports at the moment and won't have by 2019.

It's easy to be blase about recessions when it's other people's jobs and other people's businesses disappearing as a result. This after much of the country has had only a limited increase in real wages since 2008.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 17:35]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 18:03 - Jun 23 with 1911 viewscaught-in-limbo

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 07:26 - Jun 23 by homer_123

Indeed - anyone that didn't vote that could have has no reason to complain.

Those that voted to Remain cannot complain either....the fact their campaign didn't galvanise enough people to vote is telling....let's face neither....neither the Remain or Leave side could actually really tell us with any certainty what the outcomes of staying and going are.

"let's face neither....neither the Remain or Leave side could actually really tell us with any certainty what the outcomes of staying and going are."

Presented with such little information from both sides it seems acceptable not to vote, yet you say those those who chose not to vote have no reason to complain.

Seems a little contradictory to me.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 18:09 - Jun 23 with 1911 viewsVic

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 17:33 - Jun 23 by Steve_M

And the same applies to any future benefits. Real tangible ones that affect people's living standards rather than ephemeral ones.

I was referring to delays for customs checking goods not so much for people. With integrated supply chains that is a big problem for many companies. We don't have the infrastructure to cope with that at UK ports at the moment and won't have by 2019.

It's easy to be blase about recessions when it's other people's jobs and other people's businesses disappearing as a result. This after much of the country has had only a limited increase in real wages since 2008.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 17:35]

Indeed, I doubt there will be many measurable tangiable benefits, for many years - if ever, but the issue of soveriegnty is much more important than financial benefits for me!

The current lack of customs infrastructure is an opportunity waiting for someone to grasp.

And yes, I agree with your comment about being blasé about recession. Let's hope it doesn't happen, or if it does it isn't too deep.

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 19:31 - Jun 23 with 1896 viewsHerbivore

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 08:43 - Jun 23 by hampstead_blue

It will be fine. The reason the press are spinning stories of doom is that when we leave, Europe in it's current state will be shown in it's true colours.

If you read "Adults in the Room" and "The weak suffer what they must", both about Greece and how Europe treated it's people, you will see that provided David Davis has a hefty set of balls we will give them a few bloody noses.

If we do get a good deal, this should be the end of Europe in it's current rotten state.

The louder and more rabid the press get, the better it is for the UK. They are getting fed BS on a grand scale by Europe.

Europe has so much to lose, we don't!!!

A chunk of the press was pro-Brexit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 21:02 - Jun 23 with 1873 viewsFreddies_Ears

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 18:09 - Jun 23 by Vic

Indeed, I doubt there will be many measurable tangiable benefits, for many years - if ever, but the issue of soveriegnty is much more important than financial benefits for me!

The current lack of customs infrastructure is an opportunity waiting for someone to grasp.

And yes, I agree with your comment about being blasé about recession. Let's hope it doesn't happen, or if it does it isn't too deep.

The very fact we could vote to leave proves that we never lost sovereignty. We have a Queen, and she is sovereign...

The Government's own art 50 paper stated that we had never lost sovereignty btw.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 21:03]
Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 21:04 - Jun 23 with 1871 viewsFreddies_Ears

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 08:43 - Jun 23 by hampstead_blue

It will be fine. The reason the press are spinning stories of doom is that when we leave, Europe in it's current state will be shown in it's true colours.

If you read "Adults in the Room" and "The weak suffer what they must", both about Greece and how Europe treated it's people, you will see that provided David Davis has a hefty set of balls we will give them a few bloody noses.

If we do get a good deal, this should be the end of Europe in it's current rotten state.

The louder and more rabid the press get, the better it is for the UK. They are getting fed BS on a grand scale by Europe.

Europe has so much to lose, we don't!!!

0/10
What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 22:08 - Jun 23 with 1851 viewsVic

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 21:02 - Jun 23 by Freddies_Ears

The very fact we could vote to leave proves that we never lost sovereignty. We have a Queen, and she is sovereign...

The Government's own art 50 paper stated that we had never lost sovereignty btw.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 21:03]

I think you know what I meant really didn't you! If not then I can only assume you are too young to remember when we could make our own laws and no one could overrule them, and our courts could pass judgements without having foreigners in another country telling us they are wrong.

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 22:20 - Jun 23 with 1850 viewsANNA3ROA

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 07:58 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Yet another reason to remain.

Take your head out of your rear and think?
What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 22:25 - Jun 23 with 1844 viewsm14_blue

What's the worst that can happen after Brexit? on 22:08 - Jun 23 by Vic

I think you know what I meant really didn't you! If not then I can only assume you are too young to remember when we could make our own laws and no one could overrule them, and our courts could pass judgements without having foreigners in another country telling us they are wrong.

Was it really that different then?

Which laws have been overruled that you would have liked to see passed?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024