Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tax question - tax on dividend income 13:23 - Jun 23 with 1326 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is dividend income treated differently from other income?

There is a £5000 allowance for dividend income, and up to £32K you only pay 7.5%

Seems odd to me that dividend income is treated more favourably than earned income.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:27 - Jun 23 with 1300 viewsblue_oyster

Higher tax stifles investment.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:28 - Jun 23 with 1300 viewslowhouseblue

corporation tax has already been paid on company profits - therefore there are double taxation issues.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:28 - Jun 23 with 1299 viewsLord_Lucan

Until recently I don't think there was any level of taxation up to well over £30k.

I only pay myself minimum wage and take everything else through dividends or directors loans.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:29 - Jun 23 with 1293 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The profit is already subject to corporation tax so any distribution that is then taxed (above a certain level) is arguably taxed twice.
Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:32 - Jun 23 with 1279 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:28 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Until recently I don't think there was any level of taxation up to well over £30k.

I only pay myself minimum wage and take everything else through dividends or directors loans.

Yes, previously you could earn approx £30k gross through dividends plus the personal allowance and pay no income tax at all (i.e.40ish k).
Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:46 - Jun 23 with 1238 viewsGeoffSentence

Thank you all, I see that there is some logic behind it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tax question - tax on dividend income on 13:49 - Jun 23 with 1230 viewsBOjK

One reason for the threshold might be to allow people to hold a small-ish number of shares without having to declare the dividend income on tax returns.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024