Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aliens Exist... 00:24 - Jun 24 with 27680 viewsTIB

Anonymous claiming NASA is soon to go public about the existence of extra-terriestial life. Thoughts?

[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 1:05]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Aliens Exist... on 00:38 - Jun 24 with 10158 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Was this a joke?

Would normally just dismiss as gibberish, but the video shared is no longer available. Can you please either find me a new link to the video or let me know what exactly is going on.
Aliens Exist... on 00:54 - Jun 24 with 10129 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens definitely exist, that's virtually not in question anymore.

Whether they have popped by to say hello is a completely different matter.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Aliens Exist... on 00:55 - Jun 24 with 10127 viewsTIB

Aliens Exist... on 00:38 - Jun 24 by BelvedereBrunswick

Was this a joke?

Would normally just dismiss as gibberish, but the video shared is no longer available. Can you please either find me a new link to the video or let me know what exactly is going on.

It was/is genuine on my part, Anonymous group are claiming NASA is preparing to announce the existence of aliens basically and they seem pretty legit about it.

Aliens Exist... on 00:58 - Jun 24 with 10112 viewsTIB

Aliens Exist... on 00:54 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Anonymous claiming the "discs" / "ufos" we see are aliens who are looking to settle in peace and are human-like, just larger.

The bit at 7mins is way too much to comprehend this late but sounds like they are saying "aliens" live around us but in a different dimension!?!
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 1:06]

Aliens Exist... on 01:01 - Jun 24 with 10092 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Aliens Exist... on 00:58 - Jun 24 by TIB

Anonymous claiming the "discs" / "ufos" we see are aliens who are looking to settle in peace and are human-like, just larger.

The bit at 7mins is way too much to comprehend this late but sounds like they are saying "aliens" live around us but in a different dimension!?!

What bit at 7 mins? Can't get the video to play.

Does it not work on mobile anyone? Thanks a lot.
Aliens Exist... on 01:03 - Jun 24 with 10084 viewsdee_bo

Aliens Exist... on 00:58 - Jun 24 by TIB

Can we get another link? That video is gone
Aliens Exist... on 01:06 - Jun 24 with 10070 viewsTIB

Link working now?

Aliens Exist... on 01:07 - Jun 24 with 10062 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Well you seem to have attracted two aliens to this thread already
Login to get fewer ads

Aliens Exist... on 01:12 - Jun 24 with 10045 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Aliens Exist... on 01:07 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Are you talking about me?

FAO TB - link working now. Sincere thanks.
Aliens Exist... on 01:15 - Jun 24 with 10037 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Aliens Exist... on 01:12 - Jun 24 by BelvedereBrunswick

Are you talking about me?

FAO TB - link working now. Sincere thanks.

Oui
Aliens Exist... on 01:15 - Jun 24 with 10038 viewsdee_bo

Aliens Exist... on 01:07 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

And one bell
Aliens Exist... on 08:04 - Jun 24 with 9821 viewssparks

Aliens Exist... on 00:54 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Don't think that's true at all. It seems likely but we simply don't know.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Aliens Exist... on 08:31 - Jun 24 with 9761 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 08:04 - Jun 24 by sparks

Virtually all experts think life exists, the numbers are too huge for us to be a one off.

With scientists finding planets around virtually every star solar systems seem commonplace.

So with 100,000,000,000 planets currently predicted in the Milky Way and with between 200,000,000,000 and 2,000,000,000,000 other galaxies the numbers are stacked heavily in favour of life.

We also know more about extremophiles now showing life can live in virtually anywhere which a source of energy.

I really should have said life rather than aliens but in the end if we are precise then you are correct, at the moment we can't confirm life elsewhere but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a scientist in the fields who doesn't think there is. Things have changed a lot over the last 20 years.

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 8:32]

Aliens Exist... on 08:48 - Jun 24 with 9710 viewsTractorWood

Aliens Exist... on 08:31 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Virtually all experts think life exists, the numbers are too huge for us to be a one off.

With scientists finding planets around virtually every star solar systems seem commonplace.

So with 100,000,000,000 planets currently predicted in the Milky Way and with between 200,000,000,000 and 2,000,000,000,000 other galaxies the numbers are stacked heavily in favour of life.

We also know more about extremophiles now showing life can live in virtually anywhere which a source of energy.

I really should have said life rather than aliens but in the end if we are precise then you are correct, at the moment we can't confirm life elsewhere but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a scientist in the fields who doesn't think there is. Things have changed a lot over the last 20 years.

SB

This. It's bordering on a statistical impossibility that we are the only planet with life.

People don't like being told they aren't special and there is a host of religious ramifications as 95% of people on Earth align themselves to a faith.

As SB implies there is little chance it will be some chap with antennae who wants to challenge us to a galaxy Olympics but more likely a badger like creature 21 light years away.

Given the statistics we should expect every possiblity and be surprised by nothing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Aliens Exist... on 09:11 - Jun 24 with 9665 viewsGuthrum

SB

Tho the numbers start getting smaller again when you add in factors such as the proportion of planets within habitable zones, having a suitable chemical makeup, the types of stars suitable for development of life and so on.

Moreover there is a difference between a lifeform developing somewhere and one previously established adapting to a marginal environmnent to which it has moved.

Once you get into the realms beyond the most basic forms of life (e.g. the presence of amino acids), then timing becomes an issue. After all, it's been less than 100 years out of 4.5 billion for this planet alone that there's been anybody here emitting detectable signals (and most of those are so weak the chances of spotting them against the background any distance away are virtually nil).

So the chance of a much older, still extant, advanced civilisation being within detectable range (and vice versa), which we have not ourselves spotted, having the technology to circumvent the laws of physics (able to traverse interstellar/intergalactic distances in less than thousands or millions of years) is tiny indeed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Aliens Exist... on 09:17 - Jun 24 with 9639 viewsblue_oyster

I suspect it's another pro-science story which are all the fashion at the moment.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Aliens Exist... on 09:22 - Jun 24 with 9619 viewsGuthrum

Aliens Exist... on 08:48 - Jun 24 by TractorWood

This. It's bordering on a statistical impossibility that we are the only planet with life.

People don't like being told they aren't special and there is a host of religious ramifications as 95% of people on Earth align themselves to a faith.

As SB implies there is little chance it will be some chap with antennae who wants to challenge us to a galaxy Olympics but more likely a badger like creature 21 light years away.

Given the statistics we should expect every possiblity and be surprised by nothing.

Thing is, we don't know enough yet about how life initiates to be able to say whether it would occur on an even statistical basis across the whole universe, or if chance factors (e.g. water-carrying asteroid impact at a particular stage in the development of a planet with exactly the correct chemical composition, the right distance away from the apropriate sort of star) might make it extremely rare.

Chances are more likely it's some sort of biochemical goo either very close (if such is found to exist almost everywhere), or more like 21 million light years away.

As for the theological implications, I can't think of any of the major world religions which specifically excludes the possibility of inhabited places elsewhere.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Aliens Exist... on 09:24 - Jun 24 with 9610 viewsDarth_Koont

Aliens Exist... on 09:17 - Jun 24 by blue_oyster

I suspect it's another pro-science story which are all the fashion at the moment.

Pronouns: He/Him

Aliens Exist... on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 9584 viewsFixed_It

Aliens Exist... on 08:04 - Jun 24 by sparks

So you want evidence?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Aliens Exist... on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 9580 viewsYaffle

Aliens Exist... on 08:48 - Jun 24 by TractorWood

Discussions around the Fermi Paradox (if the numbers stack up where are all the bloody aliens) and the that of the Great Filter (all the Alien life forms eventually fail before they can get here) are mind bending.

Personally I have a lot of time for the Great Filter hypothesis, the question is, how far along that particular road is mankind and is it possible to ever change that path. The absence of evidence of visits from afar would suggest it is not. Depressing really!
Aliens Exist... on 09:31 - Jun 24 with 9565 viewsJ2BLUE

I hope so. In my opinion it is 99.999999999999999999999% certain that life exists elsewhere. As long as contact is peaceful then bring it on. I suspect life will originally be found as single cell organisms or whatever the smallest possible life is.

The conspiracy theorists have long been out in front of this one. They think NASA are conditioning us to believe alien life exists in order to stage a fake invasion to enslave the Earth...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Aliens Exist... on 09:39 - Jun 24 with 9532 viewsBasuco

We know this already as one used to play for nodge!
Aliens Exist... on 09:41 - Jun 24 with 9520 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 09:11 - Jun 24 by Guthrum

Tho the numbers start getting smaller again when you add in factors such as the proportion of planets within habitable zones, having a suitable chemical makeup, the types of stars suitable for development of life and so on.

Moreover there is a difference between a lifeform developing somewhere and one previously established adapting to a marginal environmnent to which it has moved.

Once you get into the realms beyond the most basic forms of life (e.g. the presence of amino acids), then timing becomes an issue. After all, it's been less than 100 years out of 4.5 billion for this planet alone that there's been anybody here emitting detectable signals (and most of those are so weak the chances of spotting them against the background any distance away are virtually nil).

So the chance of a much older, still extant, advanced civilisation being within detectable range (and vice versa), which we have not ourselves spotted, having the technology to circumvent the laws of physics (able to traverse interstellar/intergalactic distances in less than thousands or millions of years) is tiny indeed.

Agreed on a number of those points, however.

It seems a lot of solar systems seem to have planets within the habitable zone (Look at Trappist) and that the habitable zone is widening as we find out more about life on our own planet. It's becoming much more frequent to find planets within the habitable zone now.

With regards to the type of star, that matters less. The habitable zone moves in proportion to the radiation given off by the star, so the habitable zone around Trappist is much closer in because it's a dwarf star. Still a relevant factor as you point out though.

It's incredibly unlikely we will hear radio waves, our civilisation will stop emitting them soon enough in favour of more point-to-point systems like lasers. There are other ways to detect civilisations though depending on their level of advancement from orbital structures to the composition of the atmosphere (the James Webb telescope will help with that analysis).

Studies have shown that the whole of the milky way could be colonised in around 1 million years by a civilisation with slower-than-light propulsion methods. However you are probably right that we won't be able to contact any existing civilisation. That does not mean given the numbers they don't exist.

Realistically if we contact/meet aliens they are likely to be robotic in nature or some form of von neumann machine.

It's a very interesting topic.

SB

Aliens Exist... on 09:43 - Jun 24 with 9500 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 09:29 - Jun 24 by Yaffle

Discussions around the Fermi Paradox (if the numbers stack up where are all the bloody aliens) and the that of the Great Filter (all the Alien life forms eventually fail before they can get here) are mind bending.

Personally I have a lot of time for the Great Filter hypothesis, the question is, how far along that particular road is mankind and is it possible to ever change that path. The absence of evidence of visits from afar would suggest it is not. Depressing really!

The great filter is interesting.

Let's hope the improbable event was in our past, perhaps the time when humans were down to around 2000-8000 individuals (hence our lack of genetic diversity).

We could easily have gone extinct then.

SB

Aliens Exist... on 10:09 - Jun 24 with 9421 viewssparks

SB

I understand the statistical argument, but its really not evidence of life. We might be unique, or exceedingly rare. Most experts think there is a good likelihood, but to say that they all think life exists is, I think, stretching it. Most would say we dont know- and would point to things like the Fermi paradox which raises some interesting questions. They would say, I imagine, that the likelihood is high, but not that they have any certainty.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024