Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aliens Exist... 00:24 - Jun 24 with 27682 viewsTIB

Anonymous claiming NASA is soon to go public about the existence of extra-terriestial life. Thoughts?

[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 1:05]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Aliens Exist... on 10:18 - Jun 24 with 7529 viewsBergholtBru

Aliens Exist... on 10:09 - Jun 24 by sparks

I understand the statistical argument, but its really not evidence of life. We might be unique, or exceedingly rare. Most experts think there is a good likelihood, but to say that they all think life exists is, I think, stretching it. Most would say we dont know- and would point to things like the Fermi paradox which raises some interesting questions. They would say, I imagine, that the likelihood is high, but not that they have any certainty.

I would say intelligent life "exceedingly rare", but given the number of "earthlike planets" that must exist IMO in the universe due the number of stars/galaxies there must be some somewhere.
Basic life probably more common and indeed in existence on these pages it would appear.
To believe that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is simillar to the old belief that the Earth is at it`s center. Then what about all the other universes?

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Aliens Exist... on 10:22 - Jun 24 with 7521 viewsStuartBrett8

It was worth clicking the link just for the comments from the deluded god squad :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Aliens Exist... on 10:39 - Jun 24 with 7498 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Aliens Exist... on 09:22 - Jun 24 by Guthrum

Thing is, we don't know enough yet about how life initiates to be able to say whether it would occur on an even statistical basis across the whole universe, or if chance factors (e.g. water-carrying asteroid impact at a particular stage in the development of a planet with exactly the correct chemical composition, the right distance away from the apropriate sort of star) might make it extremely rare.

Chances are more likely it's some sort of biochemical goo either very close (if such is found to exist almost everywhere), or more like 21 million light years away.

As for the theological implications, I can't think of any of the major world religions which specifically excludes the possibility of inhabited places elsewhere.

Aliens Exist... on 10:41 - Jun 24 with 7479 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 10:39 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Douglas Adams, sorely missed.

HHGTH is one of favourite books. The Radio 4 show from the 70's is genius as well.

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 10:44]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Aliens Exist... on 10:41 - Jun 24 with 7492 viewsbournemouthblue

Aliens Exist... on 10:22 - Jun 24 by StuartBrett8

It was worth clicking the link just for the comments from the deluded god squad :)

There's a full package of nutters trying to claim Aliens are fallen angels and that the bible mentions Aliens in various verses

For what it's worth, I think Anonymous have taken 1 + 1 and made 5 here

Nasa are more likely to confirm signs of microbial life than anything bigger than that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Aliens Exist... on 10:46 - Jun 24 with 7480 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Aliens Exist... on 10:41 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Douglas Adams, sorely missed.

HHGTH is one of favourite books. The Radio 4 show from the 70's is genius as well.

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 10:44]

Indeed. So long and thanks for all the fish was my second favorite of the series, after the first book
Aliens Exist... on 10:50 - Jun 24 with 7459 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 10:46 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Indeed. So long and thanks for all the fish was my second favorite of the series, after the first book

Dirk Gently is also excellent if you haven't read it.

SB

Aliens Exist... on 11:22 - Jun 24 with 7440 viewsTractorWood

Aliens Exist... on 09:22 - Jun 24 by Guthrum

Thing is, we don't know enough yet about how life initiates to be able to say whether it would occur on an even statistical basis across the whole universe, or if chance factors (e.g. water-carrying asteroid impact at a particular stage in the development of a planet with exactly the correct chemical composition, the right distance away from the apropriate sort of star) might make it extremely rare.

Chances are more likely it's some sort of biochemical goo either very close (if such is found to exist almost everywhere), or more like 21 million light years away.

As for the theological implications, I can't think of any of the major world religions which specifically excludes the possibility of inhabited places elsewhere.

Yeah Drake equation. Fascinating subject.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Aliens Exist... on 11:46 - Jun 24 with 7410 viewsTIB

Plenty on here for me to take away and read on further...sounds like a few of you should work for NASA

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Aliens Exist... on 11:49 - Jun 24 with 7410 viewsmuccletonjoe

same anonymous that will prove John lennon and Elvis Presley are both residents of an old peoples nursing home in backwater mississippi
Aliens Exist... on 11:53 - Jun 24 with 7399 viewsPJH

Aliens Exist... on 11:49 - Jun 24 by muccletonjoe

same anonymous that will prove John lennon and Elvis Presley are both residents of an old peoples nursing home in backwater mississippi

If so their music nights must be pretty special-Imagine!
Aliens Exist... on 12:16 - Jun 24 with 7371 viewsbluewein

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Aliens Exist... on 12:33 - Jun 24 with 7353 viewsDolly2.0

Aliens Exist... on 09:41 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Agreed on a number of those points, however.

It seems a lot of solar systems seem to have planets within the habitable zone (Look at Trappist) and that the habitable zone is widening as we find out more about life on our own planet. It's becoming much more frequent to find planets within the habitable zone now.

With regards to the type of star, that matters less. The habitable zone moves in proportion to the radiation given off by the star, so the habitable zone around Trappist is much closer in because it's a dwarf star. Still a relevant factor as you point out though.

It's incredibly unlikely we will hear radio waves, our civilisation will stop emitting them soon enough in favour of more point-to-point systems like lasers. There are other ways to detect civilisations though depending on their level of advancement from orbital structures to the composition of the atmosphere (the James Webb telescope will help with that analysis).

Studies have shown that the whole of the milky way could be colonised in around 1 million years by a civilisation with slower-than-light propulsion methods. However you are probably right that we won't be able to contact any existing civilisation. That does not mean given the numbers they don't exist.

Realistically if we contact/meet aliens they are likely to be robotic in nature or some form of von neumann machine.

It's a very interesting topic.

SB

"Realistically if we contact/meet aliens they are likely to be robotic in nature or some form of von neumann machine."

Why?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Aliens Exist... on 12:34 - Jun 24 with 7347 viewsDolly2.0

Aliens Exist... on 00:55 - Jun 24 by TIB

It was/is genuine on my part, Anonymous group are claiming NASA is preparing to announce the existence of aliens basically and they seem pretty legit about it.

"they seem pretty legit about it."

In what way do they seem pretty legit?

Aliens Exist... on 12:58 - Jun 24 with 7333 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Aliens Exist... on 12:33 - Jun 24 by Dolly2.0

"Realistically if we contact/meet aliens they are likely to be robotic in nature or some form of von neumann machine."

Why?

Chicken and egg isn't it, who created the robot?
Aliens Exist... on 13:31 - Jun 24 with 7305 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 12:33 - Jun 24 by Dolly2.0

Why?

Because time is irrelevant to a machine, in the case of robots they can idle for the long periods of travel and are far more versatile on where they can live. It could even be a machine with a consciousness from an original living being.

Von neumann machines are self-replicating machines, migrating to the next solar system, building more and expanding exponentially. It's the exponential expansion which means they will spread out faster and more liberally which means they are a likely suspect if we have contact.

There are a number of articles available on this, here is the first one that came up on Google:

https://www.space.com/34713-intelligent-aliens-machines-seti-search.html

SB

Aliens Exist... on 15:05 - Jun 24 with 7268 viewsDolly2.0

Aliens Exist... on 13:31 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Because time is irrelevant to a machine, in the case of robots they can idle for the long periods of travel and are far more versatile on where they can live. It could even be a machine with a consciousness from an original living being.

Von neumann machines are self-replicating machines, migrating to the next solar system, building more and expanding exponentially. It's the exponential expansion which means they will spread out faster and more liberally which means they are a likely suspect if we have contact.

There are a number of articles available on this, here is the first one that came up on Google:

SB

Cheers, makes sense when you explain it. Although it does sound like a sci-fi movie.

Aliens Exist... on 15:32 - Jun 24 with 7246 viewsblue_oyster

Aliens Exist... on 13:31 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Unless they rust, of course.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Aliens Exist... on 15:40 - Jun 24 with 7233 viewsDurovigutum

Aliens Exist... on 08:48 - Jun 24 by TractorWood

This. It's bordering on a statistical impossibility that we are the only planet with life.

People don't like being told they aren't special and there is a host of religious ramifications as 95% of people on Earth align themselves to a faith.

As SB implies there is little chance it will be some chap with antennae who wants to challenge us to a galaxy Olympics but more likely a badger like creature 21 light years away.

Given the statistics we should expect every possiblity and be surprised by nothing.

Brian Cox thinks we are alone. He's a scientist. He doubts the existence of God, but doesn't dismiss the possibility completely (as no good scientist should).
Aliens Exist... on 15:49 - Jun 24 with 7219 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 15:40 - Jun 24 by Durovigutum

Brian Cox thinks we are alone. He's a scientist. He doubts the existence of God, but doesn't dismiss the possibility completely (as no good scientist should).

Well, he thinks aliens have existed but that intelligent life has the tendency to kill itself off.

Quite an interesting position given we know of 1 intelligent species and they haven't killed themselves off yet.

SB

Aliens Exist... on 15:50 - Jun 24 with 7220 viewsWeWereZombies

Aliens Exist... on 15:49 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Well, he thinks aliens have existed but that intelligent life has the tendency to kill itself off.

Quite an interesting position given we know of 1 intelligent species and they haven't killed themselves off yet.

SB

But the probability is that we will not last as long as the dinosaurs...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Aliens Exist... on 15:52 - Jun 24 with 7217 viewsStokieBlue

Aliens Exist... on 15:50 - Jun 24 by WeWereZombies

But the probability is that we will not last as long as the dinosaurs...

A salient point, the dinosaurs were very successful but they were many species and they weren't intelligent. We at least have the ability and knowledge to attempt to do something about what caused their demise.

Although once/if humans leave the earth all bets are off. Once a species becomes multi planet, many of the large extinction events cannot kill off the whole population any more.

SB

Aliens Exist... on 16:04 - Jun 24 with 7197 viewscaught-in-limbo

Aliens Exist... on 15:32 - Jun 24 by blue_oyster

Unless they rust, of course.

I don't think you're accounting for Von Neumann anti-corrosion gel - they've been stock piling it for ages on Beta Pictoris.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Aliens Exist... on 17:15 - Jun 24 with 7171 viewsWeWereZombies

Aliens Exist... on 15:52 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

A salient point, the dinosaurs were very successful but they were many species and they weren't intelligent. We at least have the ability and knowledge to attempt to do something about what caused their demise.

Although once/if humans leave the earth all bets are off. Once a species becomes multi planet, many of the large extinction events cannot kill off the whole population any more.

SB

But will life from Earth go interplanetary before or after Homo Sapiens is subject to a speciation event (a bifurcation in our branch of the Tree Of Life)? And once we have different environments to adapt to will this increase mutations and we become the mere basis for other species?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Aliens Exist... on 17:28 - Jun 24 with 7151 viewsNewcyBlue

Aliens Exist... on 12:16 - Jun 24 by bluewein

I was waiting for that! Had the song in my head all day!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024