Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
18:07 - Jun 24 with 38249 views_

on 21:30 - Jun 24 with 5491 views_

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:18 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

So, if it's the case that you don't need to add value from the work you do we obviously don't need private business to generate wealth. We can all work in the public sector instead. Hell, why even do that... we can all simply be given a couple of million by the government and live in luxury

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:30 - Jun 24 with 5491 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:20 - Jun 24 by MJallday

at 73 i doubt it

you realise he's talking about austerity to people who have just paid £200 to sit in a field.

hmmm

Sorry, but that really isn't a valid point.

Poll: Best Football Song

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 21:44 - Jun 24 with 5462 viewsstickymockwell

I cried watching that.
What a man

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:46 - Jun 24 with 5458 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:25 - Jun 24 by Swansea_Blue

The ranty fellow in the video isn't saying there's anything wrong with making money.

He seems to have a problem with the likes of Richard Branson taking money out of the country. The problem is how do you stop that? Are you going to block investment in foreign countries, and foreign investment here? IMO we should work with the EU on this and I know the Tories don't have a great record on this particular issue... now if JC was to propose something sensible here I would listen
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:53 - Jun 24 with 5437 viewsJ2BLUE

on 21:30 - Jun 24 by _

Piecing together his various posts I would guess he earns pretty good money and thinks he's a cut above anyone who doesn't for whatever reason. He wants an insurance based system to replace the NHS, probably because he could afford great insurance and the poor not being able to afford healthcare would suit him just fine.

I might be wrong but that's how he repeatedly comes across. Fits in perfectly with the 'if you're not doing great you're just not working hard enough' stuff. He'd be an idea American Republican.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:06 - Jun 24 with 5420 viewsFtnfwest

A step up from IRA rallies I suppose
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:08 - Jun 24 with 5416 viewsconnorscontract

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 18:24 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

His style is hitler, not his message

If I were analysing it for rhetorical similarities I wouldn't immediately go to Hitler.

If I were analysing him for style and image, I'd say there is no comparison with Hitler.

If we analyse it through Marshall McLuhan's maxim of "The medium is the message", what does that tell us?

1. Corbyn is moving about on a stage. He has an un-tucked shirt. There are all sorts of people moving around behind him, sometimes whispering to each other. This is ad-hoc stump speaking. It's lo-fi, immediate, raw. He looks at home and at ease. It doesn't look like someone at Central Office said "I'll tell you what, William, if you could go to a Theme Park and wear a baseball cap we really think that will chime with a key demographic". It looks like it was his idea. He doesn't look out of place, so it doesn't look silly.

2. Corbyn is speaking from notes, not reading a script. These are his words. He's not a Central Office clone who has spin doctors to write words for him to parrot. He has authenticity. This is a value which is very important to Generation X (30-40 somethings), and for for Generation Y (20's and 30's) and something which the over-curated Instagram/Social Media generation yearn for, because, well, it's like, OMG, exhausting... Older generations of voters preferred a more professional, detached and polished figurehead when they were a similar age (voting for the Saatchi'd Thatcher over un-reconstructed political street hustler Michael Foot, or amiable but prone-to-clunkers Kinnock.

3. Corbyn has gone to where the people are. He is conveying approachability, humanity, normalness. He's also projecting an assumption that if you are at (or watch) Glastonbury then it is quite normal for you to support him. This is cementing a "new-normal" for younger voters (just as so many of the older generation will have instinctively felt it was normal to vote Conservative having been through National Service.)

4. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. He's not at a fringe meeting at a conference, or speaking on stage at The Hay Literary Festival. This isn't niche. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. People listen to whoever is given that platform. The context awards him status, he is the focus of attention, and people are expectant.

5. He speaks for nearly quarter of an hour to a crowd who are supposed to only have a twenty second attention span. He's a decent speaker, but not as funny as Dennis Skinner, as brightly charismatic as the young Tony Blair, or as intense and powerfully concentrated as Martin Luther King. He has a certain rhythm, and can control the crowd to an extent. But he repeats redundant phrases "But, you know what..." and sometimes misses the rhythm and goes up in tone to early, leading him to get the crowd to applaud or cheer a bit too early, and leaving him shouting in a slightly too high squeaky voice. MLK was an experienced preacher in the Pentecostal tradition: his audiences were vocal and responsive. MLK would never crescendo too soon in his rhythmic flow.

BUT: that's all part of the charm. He's got a message he wants to get across and so goes out to speak to a crowd, rather than being someone who loves speaking to a crowd who needs to find excuses to get his fix. He's not the best speaker in Parliament, but it is perceived that he means what he says, and the crowd believes that he is worth listening to.

If anyone is interested, I may do some analysis of the content and crowd response tomorrow, rather than his "style" or what this particular medium of communication conveyed.
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:12 - Jun 24 with 5403 viewsElderGrizzly

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 18:59 - Jun 24 by BelsteadCav

Promising free stuff to youngsters, Talking to them online and at music festivals .... That's called Grooming

Well, there is previous for these beardy types....

Login to get fewer ads

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:15 - Jun 24 with 5389 viewsstickymockwell

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:08 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

If I were analysing it for rhetorical similarities I wouldn't immediately go to Hitler.

If I were analysing him for style and image, I'd say there is no comparison with Hitler.

If we analyse it through Marshall McLuhan's maxim of "The medium is the message", what does that tell us?

1. Corbyn is moving about on a stage. He has an un-tucked shirt. There are all sorts of people moving around behind him, sometimes whispering to each other. This is ad-hoc stump speaking. It's lo-fi, immediate, raw. He looks at home and at ease. It doesn't look like someone at Central Office said "I'll tell you what, William, if you could go to a Theme Park and wear a baseball cap we really think that will chime with a key demographic". It looks like it was his idea. He doesn't look out of place, so it doesn't look silly.

2. Corbyn is speaking from notes, not reading a script. These are his words. He's not a Central Office clone who has spin doctors to write words for him to parrot. He has authenticity. This is a value which is very important to Generation X (30-40 somethings), and for for Generation Y (20's and 30's) and something which the over-curated Instagram/Social Media generation yearn for, because, well, it's like, OMG, exhausting... Older generations of voters preferred a more professional, detached and polished figurehead when they were a similar age (voting for the Saatchi'd Thatcher over un-reconstructed political street hustler Michael Foot, or amiable but prone-to-clunkers Kinnock.

3. Corbyn has gone to where the people are. He is conveying approachability, humanity, normalness. He's also projecting an assumption that if you are at (or watch) Glastonbury then it is quite normal for you to support him. This is cementing a "new-normal" for younger voters (just as so many of the older generation will have instinctively felt it was normal to vote Conservative having been through National Service.)

4. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. He's not at a fringe meeting at a conference, or speaking on stage at The Hay Literary Festival. This isn't niche. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. People listen to whoever is given that platform. The context awards him status, he is the focus of attention, and people are expectant.

5. He speaks for nearly quarter of an hour to a crowd who are supposed to only have a twenty second attention span. He's a decent speaker, but not as funny as Dennis Skinner, as brightly charismatic as the young Tony Blair, or as intense and powerfully concentrated as Martin Luther King. He has a certain rhythm, and can control the crowd to an extent. But he repeats redundant phrases "But, you know what..." and sometimes misses the rhythm and goes up in tone to early, leading him to get the crowd to applaud or cheer a bit too early, and leaving him shouting in a slightly too high squeaky voice. MLK was an experienced preacher in the Pentecostal tradition: his audiences were vocal and responsive. MLK would never crescendo too soon in his rhythmic flow.

BUT: that's all part of the charm. He's got a message he wants to get across and so goes out to speak to a crowd, rather than being someone who loves speaking to a crowd who needs to find excuses to get his fix. He's not the best speaker in Parliament, but it is perceived that he means what he says, and the crowd believes that he is worth listening to.

If anyone is interested, I may do some analysis of the content and crowd response tomorrow, rather than his "style" or what this particular medium of communication conveyed.

Brilliant post.
He has a message though. He has a plan. He's not May.
I love him

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:18 - Jun 24 with 5385 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:08 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

Very good. He didn't say anything though and relied on pure left wing ranting.

The man presents problems that don't exist with no solutions either
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:19 - Jun 24 with 5380 viewsBinner

Excellent post. Just one item of contention...

Kinnock was awful; was manufactured by advisers in the way you are alluding regarding Hague and would've sold his granny into slavery for ten minutes as pm. IMO not in the least bit "amiable".

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:28 - Jun 24 with 5349 viewsblue_oyster

Loved the bit where he quoted one of his 'favourite' poems......reading it from a piece of paper.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 22:32 - Jun 24 with 5338 views_

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:28 - Jun 24 by blue_oyster

Loved the bit where he quoted one of his 'favourite' poems......reading it from a piece of paper.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:37 - Jun 24 with 5319 viewsKeaneish

Politics at Glastonbury. The worst.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:38 - Jun 24 with 5319 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 21:53 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

Piecing together his various posts I would guess he earns pretty good money and thinks he's a cut above anyone who doesn't for whatever reason. He wants an insurance based system to replace the NHS, probably because he could afford great insurance and the poor not being able to afford healthcare would suit him just fine.

I might be wrong but that's how he repeatedly comes across. Fits in perfectly with the 'if you're not doing great you're just not working hard enough' stuff. He'd be an idea American Republican.

Darwinian survival of the fittest types are always full of it until they're not fit any more !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:44 - Jun 24 with 5283 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:37 - Jun 24 by Keaneish

Politics at Glastonbury. The worst.

To be fair politics has often featured at Glastonbury over the years.

Poll: Best Football Song

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:46 - Jun 24 with 5274 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:19 - Jun 24 by Binner

Kinnock was awful; was manufactured by advisers in the way you are alluding regarding Hague and would've sold his granny into slavery for ten minutes as pm. IMO not in the least bit "amiable".

Like father like son

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:56 - Jun 24 with 5260 viewsLuk38644

'The People's PM', choosing to address a load of drugged up kids in a field than honouring our armed forces on Armed Forces Day.

He knows where his bread is buttered, I'll give him that.

I just don't get this high-ground he's taking? He and his party lost to one of the worst Tory campaigns in modern-times yet he's 'The People's PM'? Bizarre.

Don't get me started on that bloody chant they've stolen from football, it's becoming the new Kolo/Yaya chant that started being used in every nightclub in the country ffs.
The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:56 - Jun 24 with 5258 viewsstickymockwell

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:28 - Jun 24 by blue_oyster

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams
your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:58 - Jun 24 with 5255 viewsconnorscontract

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:19 - Jun 24 by Binner

I don't agree re Kinnock. "Amiable" may not be quite the right word, but he was a sociable socialist, the life and soul of The Party when compared to Foot and Callaghan who preceded him, and John Smith who followed him.

Arguably it was when he went along with the spin doctors that he ran into problems: the Sheffield rally includes one of the few political moments more embarassing than Hague's baseball cap ("Do you feel AAAALLLLLRRRRRIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTT!!!!!) second only to George Galloway being a cat and licking Rula Lenska*.

I'm not sure i agree about the bit about him being willing to sell his granny into slavery: he began the process of "modernising" Labour after the constant strikes, power cuts and begging bowl to the IMF of the 70's. Was he selling his soul to do this, just to get power for himself? In doing so he risked his own position within the party, so I don't think so. Not awful, just always prone to a cock-up that Murdoch's rags could jump on.

*I've just realised there are probably people on the board who are too young to know what a George Galloway is, let alone a Rula Lenska. George Galloway was a rebellious Labour MP who went on Celebrity Big Brother. Rula Lenska was an actress who had usually played the fiery one in love triangles in prime time dramas in the 80's, and was on CBB with him. Then, one day, this happened:

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:01 - Jun 24 with 5245 viewsblue_oyster

on 22:32 - Jun 24 by _

Try not to be wrong, and do try to be civil.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:09 - Jun 24 with 5221 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:38 - Jun 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Darwinian survival of the fittest types are always full of it until they're not fit any more !

I've probably produced more offspring than you too
The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:11 - Jun 24 with 5215 viewsElderGrizzly

To a diverse audience too.... 🙄

Love the unfortunate placement of "Thatchers Gold" too 😂
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:12]
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:19 - Jun 24 with 5193 viewsimsureazzure

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 20:46 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

Of course it's propaganda - same as the other parties' is - and I particularly dislike the cult aspect of momentum, but most of us are bright enough to see through all that - and you actually weaken your own argument by using the nuclear weapon of likening him to Hitler & Goebels.

Lets have it right, I have not likened Corbyn to Hitler or Goebbels, I stated that the statement "peoples prime minister" was Goebbels like.
The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:23 - Jun 24 with 5182 viewsstickymockwell

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:11 - Jun 24 by ElderGrizzly

To a diverse audience too.... 🙄

Love the unfortunate placement of "Thatchers Gold" too 😂
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:12]

It says more about you that you noticed that Corbyn was happily pouring a pint with no black people around.
You know sometimes he will be around white people and other times he will be with other ethnicities. What's the point?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:26]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024