Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
18:07 - Jun 24 with 38252 views_

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:26 - Jun 24 with 6027 viewsVic

Who are 'the people'?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:27 - Jun 24 with 6024 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:23 - Jun 24 by stickymockwell

It says more about you that you noticed that Corbyn was happily pouring a pint with no black people around.
You know sometimes he will be around white people and other times he will be with other ethnicities. What's the point?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:26]

To be fair, I don't think he is saying it is an issue, but making the point that if it was Theresa May there would be plenty of lefties highlighting it. Which is probably true, unfortunately.

Poll: Best Football Song

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:29 - Jun 24 with 6020 viewsstickymockwell

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:11 - Jun 24 by ElderGrizzly

To a diverse audience too.... 🙄

Love the unfortunate placement of "Thatchers Gold" too 😂
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:12]

[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:31]

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:32 - Jun 24 with 6014 viewsElderGrizzly

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:23 - Jun 24 by stickymockwell

It says more about you that you noticed that Corbyn was happily pouring a pint with no black people around.
You know sometimes he will be around white people and other times he will be with other ethnicities. What's the point?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:26]

I didn't notice it...

You're after the wrong man here if you want to play the race card of course
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:37]
The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:35 - Jun 24 with 6010 viewsElderGrizzly

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:27 - Jun 24 by RoyKeanesDog

To be fair, I don't think he is saying it is an issue, but making the point that if it was Theresa May there would be plenty of lefties highlighting it. Which is probably true, unfortunately.

Precisely. The same with Tim Farron if he was with a certain demographic

This did make me laugh though, using the same photo

[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:36]
The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:41 - Jun 24 with 5995 viewsVic

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 22:08 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

If I were analysing it for rhetorical similarities I wouldn't immediately go to Hitler.

If I were analysing him for style and image, I'd say there is no comparison with Hitler.

If we analyse it through Marshall McLuhan's maxim of "The medium is the message", what does that tell us?

1. Corbyn is moving about on a stage. He has an un-tucked shirt. There are all sorts of people moving around behind him, sometimes whispering to each other. This is ad-hoc stump speaking. It's lo-fi, immediate, raw. He looks at home and at ease. It doesn't look like someone at Central Office said "I'll tell you what, William, if you could go to a Theme Park and wear a baseball cap we really think that will chime with a key demographic". It looks like it was his idea. He doesn't look out of place, so it doesn't look silly.

2. Corbyn is speaking from notes, not reading a script. These are his words. He's not a Central Office clone who has spin doctors to write words for him to parrot. He has authenticity. This is a value which is very important to Generation X (30-40 somethings), and for for Generation Y (20's and 30's) and something which the over-curated Instagram/Social Media generation yearn for, because, well, it's like, OMG, exhausting... Older generations of voters preferred a more professional, detached and polished figurehead when they were a similar age (voting for the Saatchi'd Thatcher over un-reconstructed political street hustler Michael Foot, or amiable but prone-to-clunkers Kinnock.

3. Corbyn has gone to where the people are. He is conveying approachability, humanity, normalness. He's also projecting an assumption that if you are at (or watch) Glastonbury then it is quite normal for you to support him. This is cementing a "new-normal" for younger voters (just as so many of the older generation will have instinctively felt it was normal to vote Conservative having been through National Service.)

4. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. He's not at a fringe meeting at a conference, or speaking on stage at The Hay Literary Festival. This isn't niche. He's on main stage at Glastonbury. People listen to whoever is given that platform. The context awards him status, he is the focus of attention, and people are expectant.

5. He speaks for nearly quarter of an hour to a crowd who are supposed to only have a twenty second attention span. He's a decent speaker, but not as funny as Dennis Skinner, as brightly charismatic as the young Tony Blair, or as intense and powerfully concentrated as Martin Luther King. He has a certain rhythm, and can control the crowd to an extent. But he repeats redundant phrases "But, you know what..." and sometimes misses the rhythm and goes up in tone to early, leading him to get the crowd to applaud or cheer a bit too early, and leaving him shouting in a slightly too high squeaky voice. MLK was an experienced preacher in the Pentecostal tradition: his audiences were vocal and responsive. MLK would never crescendo too soon in his rhythmic flow.

BUT: that's all part of the charm. He's got a message he wants to get across and so goes out to speak to a crowd, rather than being someone who loves speaking to a crowd who needs to find excuses to get his fix. He's not the best speaker in Parliament, but it is perceived that he means what he says, and the crowd believes that he is worth listening to.

If anyone is interested, I may do some analysis of the content and crowd response tomorrow, rather than his "style" or what this particular medium of communication conveyed.

He's always been a good campaigner - and this is what the snap election allowed him to do, in front of the whole country for the first time. No one really questions that.

However, HOWEVER - can he lead a united party under normal conditions? Let's see how he gets on when things settle down. Until the election he had failed miserably as leader of his party; until the election he had led it to its most important and divided point in its history. Until the election he'd shown tha he really wasn't interested in building a team and working with people who shared his political view.

So let's see what happens in the next few months. Personally, given what he was like until eight weeks ago I wouldn't trust him as PM..

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:47 - Jun 24 with 5983 viewsLankHenners

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:56 - Jun 24 by Luk38644

'The People's PM', choosing to address a load of drugged up kids in a field than honouring our armed forces on Armed Forces Day.

He knows where his bread is buttered, I'll give him that.

I just don't get this high-ground he's taking? He and his party lost to one of the worst Tory campaigns in modern-times yet he's 'The People's PM'? Bizarre.

Don't get me started on that bloody chant they've stolen from football, it's becoming the new Kolo/Yaya chant that started being used in every nightclub in the country ffs.

There's been a lot about 'the left' acting as if they've won, but 'the right' are acting like a bunch of sore losers. Constant whinging about 'Corbyn did this, Corbyn did that, Corbyn didn't do this, Corbyn didn't do that' isn't going to sway voters, only encourage people already on their side to act like bigger tossers than they already are and start calling young voters "drugged up kids in a field" etc. (not a direct dig at you, saw that and other similar comments on Twitter).

Whilst there are the odd oddballs that genuinely seem to believe it, things like calling Corbyn PM and singing the chant seem to be to be a wind-up tactic, which seems to be working an absolute charm and then some.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:47 - Jun 24 with 5979 viewsBinner

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:56 - Jun 24 by Luk38644

'The People's PM', choosing to address a load of drugged up kids in a field than honouring our armed forces on Armed Forces Day.

He knows where his bread is buttered, I'll give him that.

I just don't get this high-ground he's taking? He and his party lost to one of the worst Tory campaigns in modern-times yet he's 'The People's PM'? Bizarre.

Don't get me started on that bloody chant they've stolen from football, it's becoming the new Kolo/Yaya chant that started being used in every nightclub in the country ffs.

He wasn't able to do quite enough to take most seats in the election but he did far better than most people expected. He's had a good few months and is riding the crest of the wave. I think any politician would make the best of the situation in his position.

The real test will come when the lame duck eventually waddles out of Downing Street [do lame ducks waddle?] and someone more formidable moves in and restores order to the government machine. Then Corbyn will have to earn his corn as an effective opposition leader.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Login to get fewer ads

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:50 - Jun 24 with 5967 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:09 - Jun 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

I've probably produced more offspring than you too

You're a sperm donor ?.......does it pay well ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:55 - Jun 24 with 5945 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:35 - Jun 24 by ElderGrizzly

Precisely. The same with Tim Farron if he was with a certain demographic

This did make me laugh though, using the same photo

[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 23:36]

Haha, I'm not ruling him out just yet.

His approach to PR is unorthodox, but realistically it's just moving with the times, and keeping up with the new generations. Turns out we just needed a 68 year old bloke to do it.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 00:12 - Jun 25 with 5920 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 23:55 - Jun 24 by RoyKeanesDog

Haha, I'm not ruling him out just yet.

His approach to PR is unorthodox, but realistically it's just moving with the times, and keeping up with the new generations. Turns out we just needed a 68 year old bloke to do it.

The great thing about this is that the Tories will really have to deliver something this term I.e in terms of housing and the economy to fight off the challenge. It's a shame we've got brexit muddying the water
The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 00:17 - Jun 25 with 5908 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 00:12 - Jun 25 by FrowsyArmLarry

The great thing about this is that the Tories will really have to deliver something this term I.e in terms of housing and the economy to fight off the challenge. It's a shame we've got brexit muddying the water

Indeed. At the very least he has removed the 'untouchable' status that the Tories seemed to have.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 00:23 - Jun 25 with 5900 viewsbluewein

Just for 5 minutes, I want to get away from the politicool side of the world and enjoy the better things in life. Music, friends, trying to genuinely enjoy life without being told what to think.

I thought the election being over would change that. Sadly, it seems like it's set to stay for a long, long time.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 00:27 - Jun 25 with 5885 viewsRyorry

The people's prime minister giving an impromptu speech at Glastonbury! on 23:19 - Jun 24 by imsureazzure

Lets have it right, I have not likened Corbyn to Hitler or Goebbels, I stated that the statement "peoples prime minister" was Goebbels like.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 02:45 - Jun 25 with 5836 viewsRyorry

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 22:56 - Jun 24 by stickymockwell

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams
your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I wonder if he realised the irony of one of his favourite poems being written by a man who, whilst undoubtedly a wonderful writer, was a product of his age and a great advocate of imperialism who didn't seem to fussed about some of the racism associated with that; and who also strongly opposed home rule for Ireland, writing in a letter to a friend that "Ireland was not a nation, and that before the English arrived in 1169, the Irish were a gang of cattle thieves living in savagery and killing each other while writing dreary poems" about it all (from Wiki). "In his view, it was only British rule that allowed Ireland to advance".

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:20 - Jun 25 with 5692 viewsStokieBlue

Out of interest, has Corbyn ever done or said anything you disagree with?

You talk of people having an open mind and balance but do you have it yourself?

If you do then no problem.

SB
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 16:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:21 - Jun 25 with 5688 viewsBorisOrTrevor

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 02:45 - Jun 25 by Ryorry

I wonder if he realised the irony of one of his favourite poems being written by a man who, whilst undoubtedly a wonderful writer, was a product of his age and a great advocate of imperialism who didn't seem to fussed about some of the racism associated with that; and who also strongly opposed home rule for Ireland, writing in a letter to a friend that "Ireland was not a nation, and that before the English arrived in 1169, the Irish were a gang of cattle thieves living in savagery and killing each other while writing dreary poems" about it all (from Wiki). "In his view, it was only British rule that allowed Ireland to advance".

Did you have insomnia when you wrote this?

BOT

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:23 - Jun 25 with 5678 viewsRyorry

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:21 - Jun 25 by BorisOrTrevor

Did you have insomnia when you wrote this?

No.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:38 - Jun 25 with 5655 viewsBorisOrTrevor

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:23 - Jun 25 by Ryorry

No.

Ok. I can think of better things to be occupying time at 2.45 am than considering the personal prejudices of a poet who has been publicly recited by Jeremy Corbyn. That's all.

BOT

on 16:41 - Jun 25 with 5643 views_

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:20 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

Out of interest, has Corbyn ever done or said anything you disagree with?

You talk of people having an open mind and balance but do you have it yourself?

If you do then no problem.

SB
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 16:21]

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:47 - Jun 25 with 5635 viewsmonytowbray

Everyone: "Politicians are so out of touch with the general public, specially the young. Someone needs to change that"

Also everyone: "What?! This Corbyn bloke appeals to young people and talks to the general every day public using means such as art and music?!" This isn't politics, it's embarrassing."

The right is scared because the realistic alternative has finally risen beyond the scare mongering and press lies. It's all very fun to watch, particularly when threads like this pop up. Keep up the great work.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 16:49]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 17:00 - Jun 25 with 5619 viewsRyorry

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:38 - Jun 25 by BorisOrTrevor

Ok. I can think of better things to be occupying time at 2.45 am than considering the personal prejudices of a poet who has been publicly recited by Jeremy Corbyn. That's all.

So can I quite frankly, but having been run off my feet over the past few weeks, and getting gip from my back, I'd eventually found time after a 17-hour day to make something to eat (mega sarnie) and as there was nothing on TV, sit down to read the board while I was eating it. Not that it's any of your business of course.

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 17:02 - Jun 25 with 5612 viewsStokieBlue

on 16:41 - Jun 25 by _

Fair enough.

I do find it surprising you don't disagree with anything he's openly stated. I can't think of a single person who hasn't said something at some point I've disagreed with.

SB

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 17:04 - Jun 25 with 5610 viewsStokieBlue

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 16:47 - Jun 25 by monytowbray

Everyone: "Politicians are so out of touch with the general public, specially the young. Someone needs to change that"

Also everyone: "What?! This Corbyn bloke appeals to young people and talks to the general every day public using means such as art and music?!" This isn't politics, it's embarrassing."

The right is scared because the realistic alternative has finally risen beyond the scare mongering and press lies. It's all very fun to watch, particularly when threads like this pop up. Keep up the great work.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 16:49]

Let's see how realistic it is if he wins power and implements his spending commitments.

You'll have your answer 5 years after that.

Until then it's a lot of promises which he doesn't have to keep so he can say anything as long as it sounds realistic and appeals to the demographic he is targeting.

At the moment, if there is an election anytime soon there is a realistic chance he can win, although he does need to double the % swing from the last general election to get a majority.

SB
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 17:15]

on 17:16 - Jun 25 with 5587 views_

The people's prime minister giving a speech at Glastonbury! on 17:02 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

Fair enough.

I do find it surprising you don't disagree with anything he's openly stated. I can't think of a single person who hasn't said something at some point I've disagreed with.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024