Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t 21:06 - Jun 24 with 9702 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why do opposing teams have to put up with this?

Why can't The Lions, for instance, do a Morris Dance at the same time?

Poll: W or W

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:12 - Jun 24 with 8237 viewsTIB

Just a case of respecting their culture...although a Morris dance wouldn't go amiss.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:22 - Jun 24 with 8211 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

That 'NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t' is part of their incredible Māori culture.

The Aussie's complained about it, stating that it should have 'no place in sport or sportmanship'....the All Blacks then bundled them out of the World Cup in 2011, I guess you shouldn't really insult their culture.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:38 - Jun 24 with 8175 viewsWD19

Opposition teams have tried all sorts. Ignoring it. Distrupting it. The welsh even made them do it in the changing room.

It's harmless enough. If some countries are allowed to have two songs played for them then the kiwis may as well be allowed to do a little dance.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:42 - Jun 24 with 8163 viewshoppy

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:12 - Jun 24 by TIB

Just a case of respecting their culture...although a Morris dance wouldn't go amiss.

Would they remove the ribbons and bells before the game started though?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:45 - Jun 24 with 8144 viewsTIB

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:42 - Jun 24 by hoppy

Would they remove the ribbons and bells before the game started though?

Valid question...I think the removal of bells and ribbons would be required.

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:45 - Jun 24 with 8143 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How is it bullsh1t?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:58 - Jun 24 with 8104 viewsBlueorder

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:45 - Jun 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

How is it bullsh1t?

Am I right in thinking that the England team (or The Lions) walked right up to the All Blacks one time during the Haka and got right in their faces.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:59 - Jun 24 with 8100 viewsBLUEBEAT

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:45 - Jun 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

How is it bullsh1t?

Why can't every team have a traditional performance art sequence?

Just seems like countries associated with the Māori are given an opportunity to project. Am I wrong?

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:04 - Jun 24 with 8083 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:58 - Jun 24 by Blueorder

Am I right in thinking that the England team (or The Lions) walked right up to the All Blacks one time during the Haka and got right in their faces.

I think that was the Welsh a few years ago.

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:07 - Jun 24 with 8070 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:59 - Jun 24 by BLUEBEAT

Why can't every team have a traditional performance art sequence?

Just seems like countries associated with the Māori are given an opportunity to project. Am I wrong?

Probably because a Haka is a bit different to a Morris Dance (I know you weren't being serious).

What's wrong with them being the ones to get to project something? It all adds to the spectacle and allure in my opinion. I think it's quality.

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:09 - Jun 24 with 8066 viewsTIB

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 21:58 - Jun 24 by Blueorder

The surrender monkeys did this to the Kiwi's...

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:17 - Jun 24 with 8044 viewsBLUEBEAT

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:07 - Jun 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Probably because a Haka is a bit different to a Morris Dance (I know you weren't being serious).

What's wrong with them being the ones to get to project something? It all adds to the spectacle and allure in my opinion. I think it's quality.

It could be assumed that they gain a psychological advantage. How is that sporting?

Also what do the Māori think of non-Māori New Zealanders taking part in one of their most important indigenous traditions?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:24 - Jun 24 with 8030 viewsBinner

Can be very moving...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:29 - Jun 24 with 8017 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why don't the NZ national football team do it?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:36 - Jun 24 with 8002 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:17 - Jun 24 by BLUEBEAT

It could be assumed that they gain a psychological advantage. How is that sporting?

Also what do the Māori think of non-Māori New Zealanders taking part in one of their most important indigenous traditions?

Fair point. I'm sure it does get them extra psyched up for the match.

As for your second point, no idea. However there are no '100% pure' Maori New Zealenders anymore so technically.......

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 23:06 - Jun 24 with 7952 viewsm14_blue

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:09 - Jun 24 by TIB

The surrender monkeys did this to the Kiwi's...

What was the score in that game?
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 23:07 - Jun 24 with 7949 viewsWD19

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:29 - Jun 24 by BLUEBEAT

Why don't the NZ national football team do it?

They should make the cricket team do it. Would pay a lot of money to watch that at Lords.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 23:21 - Jun 24 with 7923 viewsconnorscontract

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 22:17 - Jun 24 by BLUEBEAT

I also feel that it gives them a psychological advantage. But so does home advantage, or a player returning from injury etc etc.

I have a friend who is a white New Zealander and who used to play for a Maori rugby team at youth level, and as the only white player in a Maori cricket team. He told me that he felt privileged to be taught their haka (there are different dances which relate to different ancestor stories) and there was no question that he would have been excluded.

New Zealand has done more than most nations to respect and amplify an appreciation of pre-Western colonialism culture.

Of course, the Maoris were explorers themselves, and settled from other South Pacific Islands only a few hundred years before the arrival of Cook, and weren't the equivalent of Aboriginals in New Zealand.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 00:19 - Jun 25 with 7874 viewsGuthrum

I don't have a problem with the All Blacks doing a Haka (or the Samoans a Siva Tau or the Fijians a Cibi), except that, being a war challenge, their opponents ought to be able to react - such as when the French line advanced into their faces and and stared them down.

Tho it would have to be done appropriately, no baring buttocks or the like. And they'd better be able to back it up with a good performance afterwards (as the French did).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 08:24 - Jun 25 with 7734 viewsnc41

Don't get why anyone would see this as anything but game enhancing.

As a former national league rugby player there are many traditions throughout the game. Never known a player who is remotely bothered by the traditions of others (played with internationals). The whole ethos about sport should be to respect others and compete.
Don't think many players would see it as putting up with. Facing the Haka is a memory that stands in the minds of many - even at a lesser level. It usually (England getting in their faces example) fires you up to. It's a not an issue to be remotely worried about.
As for 'what do the Maori's think' The Haka really is a mix of New Zealands multicultural pacific culture. My once partner had a Maori Dad, Cook Island ancestry and a European mum (Pakeha) She saw the Haka as a joining of cultures, something multi cultural and to be celebrated.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 8:47]
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 09:42 - Jun 25 with 7642 viewsTIB

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 23:06 - Jun 24 by m14_blue

What was the score in that game?

8-7 NZ...closest final in history.

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 09:55 - Jun 25 with 7624 viewsParisBlue

Terrifying isn't it. You wouldn't want to have to fight these guys...

[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 10:03]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 11:20 - Jun 25 with 7566 viewsBLUEBEAT

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 09:55 - Jun 25 by ParisBlue

haha 😂

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 11:43 - Jun 25 with 7534 viewsBLUEBEAT

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 09:55 - Jun 25 by ParisBlue

This footage does raise another question.... does the current team employ a choreographer?

The drama, darling, the drama!

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 11:49 - Jun 25 with 7514 viewsimsureazzure

Britain should form a square.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024