Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t 21:06 - Jun 24 with 9703 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why do opposing teams have to put up with this?

Why can't The Lions, for instance, do a Morris Dance at the same time?

Poll: W or W

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 12:04 - Jun 25 with 1426 viewsnc41

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 11:43 - Jun 25 by BLUEBEAT

This footage does raise another question.... does the current team employ a choreographer?

The drama, darling, the drama!

Look at football celebrations from the 1920's / 70's. Sport has changed to become more visual and passionate.
The clip from 1973 shows a few doctors and a tax inspector etc. The world has changed. We didn't see Bobby Charlton doing a robot dance did we and why bother singing at football matches?
Rugby has changed from a game of pompous pricks to one wiith less pompous pricks. The evolution of the Haka (reflected in those videos) reflects that evolution a little.
You could argue why bother with any sporting traditions. Nothing wrong with it - Cornish rugby is very passionate and a joy to be part of.
Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 12:08 - Jun 25 with 1415 viewsWeWereZombies

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 23:21 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

I also feel that it gives them a psychological advantage. But so does home advantage, or a player returning from injury etc etc.

I have a friend who is a white New Zealander and who used to play for a Maori rugby team at youth level, and as the only white player in a Maori cricket team. He told me that he felt privileged to be taught their haka (there are different dances which relate to different ancestor stories) and there was no question that he would have been excluded.

New Zealand has done more than most nations to respect and amplify an appreciation of pre-Western colonialism culture.

Of course, the Maoris were explorers themselves, and settled from other South Pacific Islands only a few hundred years before the arrival of Cook, and weren't the equivalent of Aboriginals in New Zealand.

Pretty much agree with a lot of this and do appreciate your point about New Zealand being one of the most accepting and accommodating of 'native' cultures but is it not also the case that the prison population in NZ has a disproportionate percentage of Maoris (at similar levels to the imbalance of black to white prisoners in the US)? I'm not saying that there is something wrong with the justice system in New Zealand but it is easier for the Paheka to adapt to British derived laws than for the Maori, opening rugby matches with a war chant does not really give an impression of the peaceful and progressive society that New Zealand generally is. I know it is more complex than that but I think handshakes at the start and end of a match are better.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 12:13 - Jun 25 with 1407 viewsBLUEBEAT

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 11:49 - Jun 25 by imsureazzure

Britain should form a square.

Topical.

Rugby question: NZ Haka war dance bullsh1t on 10:28 - Jul 1 with 1307 viewsBLUEBEAT

LOL

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024