Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! 10:47 - Jun 25 with 9027 viewsBergholtBru

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/24/jeremy-corbyn-calls-for-unity-in-g

We can always vote him out again if he fcuks up!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:11 - Jun 25 with 6310 viewsDarth_Koont

One of the festival-goers summed up not only Corbyn but the twisted state of our political debate and indeed where we as a society have been heading:

"“People say he’s radical. I don’t think he is. He wants fair wages and outcomes and well-funded social services. The fact people see that as radical is a sad indictment of our society.”

There is ample evidence that happiness and well-being in developed nations (as opposed to developing nations) do not come from tax breaks and more disposable income for even 75% of a country. It's about living in a secure, equitable society with sufficient opportunity for individuals but not at the expense of social investment to primarily help the parts of society that need it.

Pronouns: He/Him

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:20 - Jun 25 with 6277 viewsBergholtBru

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:11 - Jun 25 by Darth_Koont

One of the festival-goers summed up not only Corbyn but the twisted state of our political debate and indeed where we as a society have been heading:

"“People say he’s radical. I don’t think he is. He wants fair wages and outcomes and well-funded social services. The fact people see that as radical is a sad indictment of our society.”

There is ample evidence that happiness and well-being in developed nations (as opposed to developing nations) do not come from tax breaks and more disposable income for even 75% of a country. It's about living in a secure, equitable society with sufficient opportunity for individuals but not at the expense of social investment to primarily help the parts of society that need it.

I saw that quote and that`s what made me think. I`m no Corbyn fan, at least of some of his ideas, the monachy, trident etc, but you can`t argue with that quote, and this current government do seem to be lacking a sense of direction. But then I don`t "support" any party as such, and am prepared to budge, unlike some.
Yeah, give him a go!!!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

on 11:21 - Jun 25 with 6263 views_

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:20 - Jun 25 by BergholtBru

I saw that quote and that`s what made me think. I`m no Corbyn fan, at least of some of his ideas, the monachy, trident etc, but you can`t argue with that quote, and this current government do seem to be lacking a sense of direction. But then I don`t "support" any party as such, and am prepared to budge, unlike some.
Yeah, give him a go!!!

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:33 - Jun 25 with 6232 viewshoofer

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:11 - Jun 25 by Darth_Koont

Borrow more Trillions like the last time the labour governed unemployment would rise the country would be worse off than it currently is ,we would lose our only nuclear deterrent leaving defence less against attack,basically he would take us back years to pay for all he promised on borrowed money.
Personally I think he is riding on a crest of a wave atm being very popular with the young but some us remember the late Blair years and Brown years which was awful plus the last labour government were writing cheques out for education knowing they were going to be the departing government and the country was almost bankrupt...
No thanks.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 11:36]
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:34 - Jun 25 with 6228 viewsDarth_Koont

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:20 - Jun 25 by BergholtBru

Yeah, give him a go!!!

Ironically, after years of the left being accused of being in an unrealistic, ideological bubble it's the right-wingers that are there now.

This blind belief in the inevitable social benefits of profit is remarkably blinkered and certainly out of date. The happier more sustainably growing nations have understood a balance is needed between the free market and social equality.

The problem is that we are increasingly used to voting for our own self-interests and from our own limited experience. I don't think that Corbyn's resurrection from the dead is enough - especially as it's against the backdrop of our worst ever Prime Minister and some awful party politics over the last few years in particular.

We still need a more widespread shift in our political debate and media commentary before society as a whole can make that shift. For example, it *should* be a little crass to talk about voting for the party that will do most for you as an individual but we're still a long way from that.

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:36 - Jun 25 with 6210 viewsNewcyBlue

Yeah, give him a go!!!

I am not much of a Corbyn fan. I do think that he is probably the best of a bad bunch at the moment.

I wouldn't​ have been disappointed with him as PM.

I do think he is going to be a catalyst for change in politics, and hope that some more attainable plans for a fairer society, one that we look after each other, can be brought to the masses.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:37 - Jun 25 with 6206 viewsnoggin

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:34 - Jun 25 by Darth_Koont

Ironically, after years of the left being accused of being in an unrealistic, ideological bubble it's the right-wingers that are there now.

This blind belief in the inevitable social benefits of profit is remarkably blinkered and certainly out of date. The happier more sustainably growing nations have understood a balance is needed between the free market and social equality.

The problem is that we are increasingly used to voting for our own self-interests and from our own limited experience. I don't think that Corbyn's resurrection from the dead is enough - especially as it's against the backdrop of our worst ever Prime Minister and some awful party politics over the last few years in particular.

We still need a more widespread shift in our political debate and media commentary before society as a whole can make that shift. For example, it *should* be a little crass to talk about voting for the party that will do most for you as an individual but we're still a long way from that.

Very well put.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:37 - Jun 25 with 6207 viewsBasuco

Daughter went to see him and while she is no Corbyn fan she said his speech was brilliant at Glasto. Also check out Hacienda Classical, full orchestra and choir doing ride on time was "spine tingling" Royal Blood and Blossoms were also noted as good.
Login to get fewer ads

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:38 - Jun 25 with 6187 viewsBLUEGOLD

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:33 - Jun 25 by hoofer

Borrow more Trillions like the last time the labour governed unemployment would rise the country would be worse off than it currently is ,we would lose our only nuclear deterrent leaving defence less against attack,basically he would take us back years to pay for all he promised on borrowed money.
Personally I think he is riding on a crest of a wave atm being very popular with the young but some us remember the late Blair years and Brown years which was awful plus the last labour government were writing cheques out for education knowing they were going to be the departing government and the country was almost bankrupt...
No thanks.

Oh my god, you believe everything that you read in the right wing press.

Try some critical thinking ffs.

Austerity only works for the rich. Corbyn is looking for a bit of fairness in society.

We are the 5th richest country in the world.

The Tories have borrowed more in the last 7 years than Labour ever did before and Labour had to deal with the banking crisis and bailing out the banks.
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:41 - Jun 25 with 6179 viewsDarth_Koont

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:33 - Jun 25 by hoofer

No thanks.

I'm no fan of Blairism, but the debt has only gone up under the Tories.

In fact, spending generally goes up under "fiscally responsible" conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic. That's part of their whole ideological fallacy.

Balancing the benefits of capitalism with social democratic investment (after all, that's what it is, an investment) builds more sustainable and happier societies.

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:41 - Jun 25 with 6168 viewsnoggin

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:36 - Jun 25 by NewcyBlue

I am not much of a Corbyn fan. I do think that he is probably the best of a bad bunch at the moment.

I wouldn't​ have been disappointed with him as PM.

I do think he is going to be a catalyst for change in politics, and hope that some more attainable plans for a fairer society, one that we look after each other, can be brought to the masses.

Indeed and if any good can come from Grenfell, it is that it could help highlight the need for that change.

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:43 - Jun 25 with 6148 viewsnoggin

No thanks.

Why would we lose the nuclear deterrent? That is not Labour policy.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 11:44]

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:45 - Jun 25 with 6131 viewsNewcyBlue

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:41 - Jun 25 by noggin

Indeed and if any good can come from Grenfell, it is that it could help highlight the need for that change.

What a sad indictment of our society if a need for change were to be highlighted by such a tragedy.

We have lost awareness. The bigger picture is so blurry and out of focus.

I guess that's politics, it is a reactive game rather than being proactive.

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:47 - Jun 25 with 6110 viewsWD19

on 11:21 - Jun 25 by _

Says the poster who routinely downvotes everyone that disagrees with them....

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:49 - Jun 25 with 6101 viewsHarry_Palmer

No thanks.

What an absolute load of cobblers. Labour clearly costed up their plans if you care to look into it and it did not involve 'borrowing trillions'. Also Renewing trident was a part of the Labour manifesto but hey lets not let facts get in the way.
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:54 - Jun 25 with 6068 viewslowhouseblue

"It's about living in a secure, equitable society with sufficient opportunity for individuals but not at the expense of social investment to primarily help the parts of society that need it."

absolutely. great. how could anyone disagree. so that's that done then. but without a credible and realistic plan to get there it's just nice words. you can't reduce solutions to complex real problems to just nice words and 'vision'. claiming that we'll get there by taxing only 5% of people and big corporations and borrowing £750bn (or wherever it ended up as) is a bigger issue than any crowd pleasing words about 'vision'.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:55 - Jun 25 with 6064 viewsNewcyBlue

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:49 - Jun 25 by Harry_Palmer

What an absolute load of cobblers. Labour clearly costed up their plans if you care to look into it and it did not involve 'borrowing trillions'. Also Renewing trident was a part of the Labour manifesto but hey lets not let facts get in the way.

I think "costed" was debatable.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9218

on 12:44 - Jun 25 with 5917 views_

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:47 - Jun 25 by WD19

Says the poster who routinely downvotes everyone that disagrees with them....

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 12:45 - Jun 25 with 5917 viewsbluejacko

It's not Corbyn as such that people should worry about it is the mob that is behind him that you never see that actually pull the Labour strings!
Still it seems the election result cant be accepted nor the Brexit result without outrage you might as well have comrade Corbyn and see how long the drawer in the treasury stays full.
Be careful what you wish for.
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:08 - Jun 25 with 5847 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:45 - Jun 25 by NewcyBlue

What a sad indictment of our society if a need for change were to be highlighted by such a tragedy.

We have lost awareness. The bigger picture is so blurry and out of focus.

I guess that's politics, it is a reactive game rather than being proactive.

The simple fact is that the population has grown by 10 million without providing any extra infrastructure. Compounding that is we now have the children of first generation immigrants who are beginning to leave university to find that, due to automation and the fact all large orgs are much leaner than they were 20 years ago, there are few good jobs.

I agree social investment is required but this needs to be got absolutely right or this country will be bankrupt.
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:44 - Jun 25 with 5749 viewshomer_123

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:54 - Jun 25 by lowhouseblue

"It's about living in a secure, equitable society with sufficient opportunity for individuals but not at the expense of social investment to primarily help the parts of society that need it."

absolutely. great. how could anyone disagree. so that's that done then. but without a credible and realistic plan to get there it's just nice words. you can't reduce solutions to complex real problems to just nice words and 'vision'. claiming that we'll get there by taxing only 5% of people and big corporations and borrowing £750bn (or wherever it ended up as) is a bigger issue than any crowd pleasing words about 'vision'.

So...this is the really interesting thing.

If you look at Labours manifesto, there isn't a whole lot most of us would actually disagree with. As you have succinctly put, the aim of a secure and equitable society is surely one anyone would be happy with.

So, the reality is blindingly simple. If we want an National Heath Service that's free et the point of use, if we want a properly funded police force, fire sefbice etc. Education that sets up e eryone so they have an opportunity now and the future then everyone has to pay for it, no ifs and no buts. If we as individuals earn more and if business earn good profits then we should contribute more, it's not difficult or rocket science.

The debate and discussion needs to brought back to this level to sense check that this is really the society we want to live in. It it is, then it's a matter of paying for it

And if that is the case then ring fence the NHS and Education so that political parties cannot f*cl around with them.

If people want a different society then so be it.

Politicians as well as voters need some simple, straightforward discussion and communication. Politicians needs to be honest with he public and th public need to grow up and start looking beyond their personal circumstances (where possible).
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 13:50]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:47 - Jun 25 with 5736 viewsbluejacko

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:44 - Jun 25 by homer_123

If you look at Labours manifesto, there isn't a whole lot most of us would actually disagree with. As you have succinctly put, the aim of a secure and equitable society is surely one anyone would be happy with.

So, the reality is blindingly simple. If we want an National Heath Service that's free et the point of use, if we want a properly funded police force, fire sefbice etc. Education that sets up e eryone so they have an opportunity now and the future then everyone has to pay for it, no ifs and no buts. If we as individuals earn more and if business earn good profits then we should contribute more, it's not difficult or rocket science.

The debate and discussion needs to brought back to this level to sense check that this is really the society we want to live in. It it is, then it's a matter of paying for it

And if that is the case then ring fence the NHS and Education so that political parties cannot f*cl around with them.

Politicians as well as voters need some simple, straightforward discussion and communication. Politicians needs to be honest with he public and th public need to grow up and start looking beyond their personal circumstances (where possible).

Simple isn't it you get nothing for free without paying for it in the end.
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:51 - Jun 25 with 5725 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:44 - Jun 25 by homer_123

Nobody is prepared to pay though. France has put 8% on everyone's income tax (might be 10% now?) to pay directly into health cover. Now if the tories did that the Corbyn supporters would start rioting
I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:55 - Jun 25 with 5712 viewshomer_123

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:51 - Jun 25 by FrowsyArmLarry

Nobody is prepared to pay though. France has put 8% on everyone's income tax (might be 10% now?) to pay directly into health cover. Now if the tories did that the Corbyn supporters would start rioting

It isn't really up for discussion. If the NHS and Education are under funded then everyone needs to pay more. So, of it takes adding 5% or 10% on income tax, then it needs to be spelled out.

At the moment, all political parties are merely fluffing about the edges aren't they.

The grown up discussion if, right, you want the NHS, then we need to pay for it. There is simply no grown up discussion .

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 13:56 - Jun 25 with 5697 viewsMJallday

I`d be prepared to give him a chance in the unlikely event of him being elected! on 11:38 - Jun 25 by BLUEGOLD

Oh my god, you believe everything that you read in the right wing press.

Try some critical thinking ffs.

Austerity only works for the rich. Corbyn is looking for a bit of fairness in society.

We are the 5th richest country in the world.

The Tories have borrowed more in the last 7 years than Labour ever did before and Labour had to deal with the banking crisis and bailing out the banks.

no we arnt. 9th at best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024