Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. 16:52 - Jun 25 with 20244 viewsmonytowbray

Girlfriend cancelled her young person's membership yesterday.

https://www.league.org.uk/news/hunting-on-national-trust-land-league-statement

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:06 - Jun 25 with 4012 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:33 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

Of course they do, otherwise you will end up with a manky strain.

Stags are generally shot for sport. The manky ones don't get to breed any way. The best ones are shot by wealthy people who should know better, therefore shooting maintains mankiness in the herd.

A well known estate charges one wealthy person each year to shoot a stag of the estate's choosing. That one shot (or more if the wealthy person is a bad shot) pays for the entire budget of the deer management team on that estate.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:08 - Jun 25 with 4009 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:32 - Jun 25 by WeWereZombies

You try regenerating woodland without keeping deer numbers down.

You don't keep number down by stag culling, unless you only have one stag you wish to remove.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:27 - Jun 25 with 3981 viewsWeWereZombies

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:08 - Jun 25 by Beds_blue

You don't keep number down by stag culling, unless you only have one stag you wish to remove.

Deer in general, I should have distanced myself from the 'sportsmen' who shoot stags. The stags are ones who are responsible for bringing the next generation into the countryside in such overwhelming numbers so they make a legitimate preference as a target to cull.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 05:50 - Jun 26 with 3915 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:27 - Jun 25 by WeWereZombies

Deer in general, I should have distanced myself from the 'sportsmen' who shoot stags. The stags are ones who are responsible for bringing the next generation into the countryside in such overwhelming numbers so they make a legitimate preference as a target to cull.

Are you sure about that? Let's say twenty females in a herd. Each year they'll have twenty young. Let's also say there are ten lone stags in that area. Kill one and you'll get twenty young, kill two and you'll get twenty young etc. Unless you cull every stag you won't reduce the numbers. And if you do kill every stag another will move in. Isn't the best way to protect woodland regeneration from browsing deer to use fencing? Shooting will never get 100% of the herd.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 10:17 - Jun 26 with 3873 viewsgordon

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 05:50 - Jun 26 by Beds_blue

Are you sure about that? Let's say twenty females in a herd. Each year they'll have twenty young. Let's also say there are ten lone stags in that area. Kill one and you'll get twenty young, kill two and you'll get twenty young etc. Unless you cull every stag you won't reduce the numbers. And if you do kill every stag another will move in. Isn't the best way to protect woodland regeneration from browsing deer to use fencing? Shooting will never get 100% of the herd.

That's exactly right, when deer are culled it's hinds, 'sportsmen' always take stags which doesn't reduce the breeding population and does next to nothing to help with overgrazing etc
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 10:22 - Jun 26 with 3870 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 05:50 - Jun 26 by Beds_blue

What about land mines then?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:03 - Jun 26 with 3838 viewsWeWereZombies

And I do not wish to get rid of 100% of the herd, just to reduce the impact on woodland to a sustainable level. Fencing is a part of the strategy but you would be amazed at how adeptly a determined deer can leap over deer proof fences if it has to.

SwanseaBlue: Landmines do a have a slight possibility of collateral damage, and deer are such cautious creatures they would probably sense them and step around them anyway.

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:35 - Jun 26 with 3826 viewsRyorry

Do you have any idea of the costs of installing deer fencing?!! You're talking £thousands per acre.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:41 - Jun 26 with 3820 viewsLord_Lucan

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:06 - Jun 25 by Beds_blue

Stags are generally shot for sport. The manky ones don't get to breed any way. The best ones are shot by wealthy people who should know better, therefore shooting maintains mankiness in the herd.

A well known estate charges one wealthy person each year to shoot a stag of the estate's choosing. That one shot (or more if the wealthy person is a bad shot) pays for the entire budget of the deer management team on that estate.

Not at all. This excerpt from a recent article in The Guardian not only save me time but explains it is a paragraph much better than I could.

Deer managers try to preserve the best animals, as they are most likely to survive the winter. It helps maintain a healthy, fit herd. This beast may simply have got too big and too old for the managed land that it was on. It was getting to the point where he needed to be shot because he had already bred and there was a chance he could interbreed with his own daughters and granddaughters.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:45 - Jun 26 with 3813 viewschicoazul

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:44 - Jun 25 by monytowbray

That's called intervening with nature. It is not a requirement of nature, but a decision of humans.

Hahahahaha

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 14:25 - Jun 26 with 3769 viewsgordon

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:41 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

Not at all. This excerpt from a recent article in The Guardian not only save me time but explains it is a paragraph much better than I could.

Deer managers try to preserve the best animals, as they are most likely to survive the winter. It helps maintain a healthy, fit herd. This beast may simply have got too big and too old for the managed land that it was on. It was getting to the point where he needed to be shot because he had already bred and there was a chance he could interbreed with his own daughters and granddaughters.

Red Deer numbers in Scotland have nearly tripled over 50 or so years because most deer estates want as many stags on the land as possible to increase the value of the estate. The knock on effects for other wildlife have been overwhelming negative, apart from those estates like Dundreggan, Glenfeshie, Mar Lodge etc where genuine effort is put in to reducing numbers to allow tree growth.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:30 - Jun 26 with 3730 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 10:22 - Jun 26 by Swansea_Blue

If that land's yours then do what you want!
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:34 - Jun 26 with 3726 viewsNewcyBlue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:30 - Jun 26 by Beds_blue

If that land's yours then do what you want!

It's mine

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:34 - Jun 26 with 3726 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:03 - Jun 26 by WeWereZombies

And I do not wish to get rid of 100% of the herd, just to reduce the impact on woodland to a sustainable level. Fencing is a part of the strategy but you would be amazed at how adeptly a determined deer can leap over deer proof fences if it has to.

SwanseaBlue: Landmines do a have a slight possibility of collateral damage, and deer are such cautious creatures they would probably sense them and step around them anyway.

Depending on what and how many deer you have you may be relying on hopes and dreams I'm afraid. I'm not one for shooting anything and would prefer another means of woodland protection. I believe Mr Rackham said that deer and imported diseases are the biggest threat to British woodland (most deer being a rather large imported disease it should be noted.)
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:35 - Jun 26 with 3722 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:35 - Jun 26 by Ryorry

Do you have any idea of the costs of installing deer fencing?!! You're talking £thousands per acre.

No doubt cheaper than the cost of a deer hunter for the lifetime of the wood though
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:48 - Jun 26 with 3712 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 12:41 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

Yes the deer managers are nearly always only concerned with the health of the herd in general and will take the weak and elderly as part of their routine daily cull. The stags are left to the very well paying "sportsmen" which funds the rest of the operation. There is so much inbreeding in the estate stocks any way.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 18:22 - Jun 26 with 3698 viewsWeWereZombies

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:34 - Jun 26 by Beds_blue

Depending on what and how many deer you have you may be relying on hopes and dreams I'm afraid. I'm not one for shooting anything and would prefer another means of woodland protection. I believe Mr Rackham said that deer and imported diseases are the biggest threat to British woodland (most deer being a rather large imported disease it should be noted.)

I never met Oliver myself but he was certainly an authority.But given that some species have been with us for nigh on a thousand years I think eradication is extreme. And probably impossible given their shy and retiring nature.

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 20:39 - Jun 26 with 3678 viewsBeds_blue

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 18:22 - Jun 26 by WeWereZombies

I never met Oliver myself but he was certainly an authority.But given that some species have been with us for nigh on a thousand years I think eradication is extreme. And probably impossible given their shy and retiring nature.

I agree entirely. Our landscape is what we have made it. There is no wildwood, there never will be again so no point trying to achieve it. If we can encourage as much diversity as possible, both habitats and species, then with a bit of luck we should have some resilience for the future changes in climate and imported disease.
Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 21:42 - Jun 26 with 3656 viewsMJallday

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 10:22 - Jun 26 by Swansea_Blue

do they have them at national trust properties?

interesting way of keeping people off the grass i suppose.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 01:22 - Jun 27 with 3610 viewsWeWereZombies

Didn't realise the National Trust allows trail hunting on its grounds. on 17:35 - Jun 26 by Beds_blue

No doubt cheaper than the cost of a deer hunter for the lifetime of the wood though

Though there is money in venison...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024