Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Air Ambulances 19:18 - Jun 25 with 3250 viewsfooters

Bit of a nothing thread really as I'm sure everyone knows what an amazing job these guys do. But just sat out here on my tiny balcony watching the air ambulance at the Royal Free coming and going almost constantly.

These guys and girls are an inspiration. To think it could be me in there, you, someone's brother, sister, mother- anyone! That dedication to everyone is incredible.

Cheers to them!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Air Ambulances on 19:29 - Jun 25 with 3208 viewsbluelagos

Friend of mine got air lifted to hospital last Saturday after a bike accident. She reckons they saved her life.

My only gripe is why aren't they state / NHS funded? Happy to support them and the excellent work they do.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Air Ambulances on 19:33 - Jun 25 with 3188 viewsfooters

Air Ambulances on 19:29 - Jun 25 by bluelagos

Friend of mine got air lifted to hospital last Saturday after a bike accident. She reckons they saved her life.

My only gripe is why aren't they state / NHS funded? Happy to support them and the excellent work they do.

Agree 100%. Same with MacMillan. Charity to me is a failure of the state. But just didn't want to get political on this...

Air Ambulances on 19:40 - Jun 25 with 3161 viewsnoggin

Is HEMS based at The Royal Free now? It was always at The London in my day.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Air Ambulances on 19:42 - Jun 25 with 3157 viewsStokieBlue

I see one go over all the time and I never knew they weren't state funded until your post. That is very surprising indeed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Air Ambulances on 19:52 - Jun 25 with 3133 viewsfooters

Air Ambulances on 19:40 - Jun 25 by noggin

Is HEMS based at The Royal Free now? It was always at The London in my day.

Looks like both now. Progress, brother, progress!

Air Ambulances on 20:03 - Jun 25 with 3114 viewsimsureazzure

Amazing that the service is a charity isn't it?

If ever a service should be tax payer funded, well this and hospices.
Air Ambulances on 20:11 - Jun 25 with 3101 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can I add the RNLI to the list too please? Took the kids down to the station at Mumbles today and we saw them take the main boat out on a training drill. Amazing what these volunteers do purely off the back of donations.

I know air ambulance receive no central funding too, are they also volunteers?
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 20:27]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Air Ambulances on 20:12 - Jun 25 with 3095 viewsbluelagos

Air Ambulances on 20:03 - Jun 25 by imsureazzure

Amazing that the service is a charity isn't it?

If ever a service should be tax payer funded, well this and hospices.

Have sadly had experiences of 2 hospices - and the staff do an amazing job in incredibly difficult circumstances. Why on earth this care isn't state funded I'll never know.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Air Ambulances on 20:14 - Jun 25 with 3091 viewsnoggin

Air Ambulances on 20:11 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

Can I add the RNLI to the list too please? Took the kids down to the station at Mumbles today and we saw them take the main boat out on a training drill. Amazing what these volunteers do purely off the back of donations.

No, they are employed by the ambulance service.

Air Ambulances on 20:16 - Jun 25 with 3081 viewsSwansea_Blue

Air Ambulances on 20:14 - Jun 25 by noggin

No, they are employed by the ambulance service.

Ok, thanks 👍

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Air Ambulances on 20:20 - Jun 25 with 3070 viewsimsureazzure

Air Ambulances on 20:11 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

My father was a trawlerman and he supported them greatly throughout his life, so I concur.

Why are these wonderful agencies charities? Is it because the gov know they will be?
Air Ambulances on 20:31 - Jun 25 with 3046 viewsfooters

Air Ambulances on 20:20 - Jun 25 by imsureazzure

My father was a trawlerman and he supported them greatly throughout his life, so I concur.

Why are these wonderful agencies charities? Is it because the gov know they will be?

My dad and grandad were trawlermen too. RNLI do so much good work. Can't imagine being out at sea for so long without those guys ready to help whenever there's trouble.

As for funding, god only knows. How we can spend billions on this, that and the other but not these essential services? I suspect you're right in the government's complacency that they'll manage to scrape through somehow, but serious offers to bring them under central gov control should be considered asap, imo.

Air Ambulances on 08:48 - Jun 26 with 2951 viewsNo9

Air Ambulances on 19:42 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

I see one go over all the time and I never knew they weren't state funded until your post. That is very surprising indeed.

SB

A long look at all these things= lifeboats etc. is well worth while

About 2 years ago Air Sea rescuse was put out to a private contractor who have no experience
Previously it was done by Military pilots and was part of their extensive training / experience
Air Ambulances on 08:59 - Jun 26 with 2932 viewsStokieBlue

Air Ambulances on 08:48 - Jun 26 by No9

A long look at all these things= lifeboats etc. is well worth while

About 2 years ago Air Sea rescuse was put out to a private contractor who have no experience
Previously it was done by Military pilots and was part of their extensive training / experience

I agree and it's sad.

However there isn't an infinite pot of money unless someone wants to raise income tax for everyone by 5p and ringfence the money.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Air Ambulances on 10:43 - Jun 26 with 2895 viewsnoggin

Air Ambulances on 08:59 - Jun 26 by StokieBlue

I agree and it's sad.

However there isn't an infinite pot of money unless someone wants to raise income tax for everyone by 5p and ringfence the money.

SB

And that would be a vote loser as the opposition would spin it to show how much worse off everyone would be.

Air Ambulances on 11:23 - Jun 26 with 2853 viewsblue_oyster

They wouldn't be needed if the roads weren't so congested.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024