Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One band you wish you had seen 12:40 - Jun 26 with 18922 viewsBlueNomad

But never will because a key member has died?

Sensational Alex Harvey Band for me.
One band you wish you had seen on 16:55 - Jun 26 with 7477 viewsMoggins

The Beatles
One band you wish you had seen on 17:00 - Jun 26 with 7465 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

One band you wish you had seen on 16:49 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

I was at their last gig that never happened.

They played V Festival at Weston Park on the Saturday and were due to play Highlands Park on the Sunday. Trouble is they had a row after the Weston gig and split up. They never played at Highlands Park.

I was telling my mate from mid afternoon that they weren't coming but he wouldn't believe me. By the time he did believe me he was so pissed that he kept forgetting it.

They never actually got as far as playing at V fest as they had a fight during the warm up act

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

One band you wish you had seen on 17:21 - Jun 26 with 7455 viewsfloridablue

Always had a regret while living in the UK that i'd never seen the Rolling Stones live until they played Orlando Florida a couple of years ago. Bought tickets outside the stadium on the night which got us down on the pitch close up. managed to see the Who with Keith Moon before he died at Charlton. One i'm still not certain if i got to see is Marc Bolan and T Rex as i went along to the Weeley pop Festival in 70 or 71 and apparently they were there . Named my oldest son Marc after he was killed in a car crash mid seventies.
One band you wish you had seen on 17:38 - Jun 26 with 7435 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Temptations with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

One band you wish you had seen on 17:40 - Jun 26 with 7441 viewsLord_Lucan

One band you wish you had seen on 17:00 - Jun 26 by The_Romford_Blue

They never actually got as far as playing at V fest as they had a fight during the warm up act

They played V at Weston

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

One band you wish you had seen on 17:41 - Jun 26 with 7436 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

T.Rex.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

One band you wish you had seen on 17:58 - Jun 26 with 7411 viewsNewcyBlue

One band you wish you had seen on 14:34 - Jun 26 by caught-in-limbo

Have to say I absolutely agree with you. You're still a wrong 'un for liking a foot massage though....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

One band you wish you had seen on 18:30 - Jun 26 with 7396 viewsWeWereZombies

One band you wish you had seen on 17:21 - Jun 26 by floridablue

Always had a regret while living in the UK that i'd never seen the Rolling Stones live until they played Orlando Florida a couple of years ago. Bought tickets outside the stadium on the night which got us down on the pitch close up. managed to see the Who with Keith Moon before he died at Charlton. One i'm still not certain if i got to see is Marc Bolan and T Rex as i went along to the Weeley pop Festival in 70 or 71 and apparently they were there . Named my oldest son Marc after he was killed in a car crash mid seventies.

T. Rex headlined the Friday night (if you can call it headlining when the running order gets so ragged that bands play through the night and into the next morning). But it was fashionable that summer to dismiss a band that was no longer an underground secret, had gone electric and become blatantly commercial. So they got roundly booed (to my shame I was one of the culprits). Apparently it was a great set but no one could hear it and Bolan was upset beyond words at his treatment.

My first festival, I was sixteen and I kept away from the brown acid. Some great memories apart from the bad treatment of T. Rex. Barclay James Harvest and King Crimson going head to head on who could get an orchestra to a festival and make a success of it. The Faces were sublime. Groundhogs, Locomotiv GT (edit: my addled memory playing tricks again - saw those two bands the following year at a festival near Lincoln) and Tir Na Nog delivered wonderful sets. Peel was the ultimate festival DJ. Loads more...
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 0:00]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

One band you wish you had seen on 18:39 - Jun 26 with 7387 viewsPJH

One band you wish you had seen on 14:54 - Jun 26 by Archer4721

Well if you saw him that doesn't count does it?

If you're going down that route then it was Bob Marley at Hammersmith Odeon 1976 for me

Best ever gig.

Yes,I should have kept Chuck Berry back as one for 'the glad I saw before it was too late' thread that no doubt somebody will start.
One band you wish you had seen on 18:41 - Jun 26 with 7379 viewsblueislander

One band you wish you had seen on 18:39 - Jun 26 by PJH

Yes,I should have kept Chuck Berry back as one for 'the glad I saw before it was too late' thread that no doubt somebody will start.

Very envious of that. But I think seeing Buddy Holly trumps it.
One band you wish you had seen on 18:49 - Jun 26 with 7371 viewsPJH

One band you wish you had seen on 18:41 - Jun 26 by blueislander

Very envious of that. But I think seeing Buddy Holly trumps it.

They were two true greats although I think Chuck Berry's influence spread further.

I have got CD'S by both of them but play Chuck Berry a lot more than Buddy Holly.

Buddy Holly never reached his peak and Don McLean lamented his passing brilliantly.
One band you wish you had seen on 18:52 - Jun 26 with 7369 viewsAdmiralFunge

Soundgarden.

Had tickets to see them at Hyde Park a couple of years ago, but it was pissing down with rain and I was dating a delightful woman in Tooting at the time, so I left early to get pure busy.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

One band you wish you had seen on 19:07 - Jun 26 with 7363 viewsblueislander

One band you wish you had seen on 18:49 - Jun 26 by PJH

They were two true greats although I think Chuck Berry's influence spread further.

I have got CD'S by both of them but play Chuck Berry a lot more than Buddy Holly.

Buddy Holly never reached his peak and Don McLean lamented his passing brilliantly.

Considering that Chuck lived into his 90s ,and Buddy died aged 23, that is not surprising.
One band you wish you had seen on 19:13 - Jun 26 with 7361 viewsPJH

One band you wish you had seen on 19:07 - Jun 26 by blueislander

Considering that Chuck lived into his 90s ,and Buddy died aged 23, that is not surprising.

No but Chuck Berry was a great influence on the birth of British 60's music.
One band you wish you had seen on 19:41 - Jun 26 with 7342 viewsfloridablue

One band you wish you had seen on 18:30 - Jun 26 by WeWereZombies

T. Rex headlined the Friday night (if you can call it headlining when the running order gets so ragged that bands play through the night and into the next morning). But it was fashionable that summer to dismiss a band that was no longer an underground secret, had gone electric and become blatantly commercial. So they got roundly booed (to my shame I was one of the culprits). Apparently it was a great set but no one could hear it and Bolan was upset beyond words at his treatment.

My first festival, I was sixteen and I kept away from the brown acid. Some great memories apart from the bad treatment of T. Rex. Barclay James Harvest and King Crimson going head to head on who could get an orchestra to a festival and make a success of it. The Faces were sublime. Groundhogs, Locomotiv GT (edit: my addled memory playing tricks again - saw those two bands the following year at a festival near Lincoln) and Tir Na Nog delivered wonderful sets. Peel was the ultimate festival DJ. Loads more...
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 0:00]

This must of been my first festival and i was also around the 16 age and just growing my hair back after my skinhead days.Either this Weeley one or Alexandra Palace with Curved Air with the super hot Sonia Christina around the same time.
Remember Weeley organizers amazed that around 100,000 turn up.
Still cannot remember if i saw T Rex or not and didn't Don Mc Clean of American Pie fame turn up? Great times.
One band you wish you had seen on 23:35 - Jun 26 with 7280 viewsSouthBucksBlue

One band you wish you had seen on 17:21 - Jun 26 by floridablue

I was at Weeley as a teenager. T Rex indeed played but got booed off the stage for the cardinal sin of having 'sold out'. Marc Bolan however came back out on his own, braved a hailstorm of bottles sat down cross legged at the front of the stage with an acoustic guitar, played a solo set and won back the crowd. Showed real balls. What a festival that was. My first and favourite. The music started at Midnight on the Friday.
One band you wish you had seen on 23:55 - Jun 26 with 7265 viewsMelford

One band you wish you had seen on 14:55 - Jun 26 by feelingblue

The Doors

The one in your avatar, Love. Arthur Lee got himself sorted out and started doing gigs, then he got ill and died.
This was 2003, on Jools at the time he was touring Forever Changes

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

One band you wish you had seen on 23:56 - Jun 26 with 7265 viewsstantheman

I actually really got into SAAB about 1974 but never saw them live unfortunately. Alex died in 1982 I think and although they kept going NO ONE could ever replace him because he wasa 1 off, like many who have been mentioned from other bands on this thread tbf. Have virtually all SAAB's albums and love to play them to bring back memories of my youth. Bit insane but powerful all the same.
One band you wish you had seen on 00:03 - Jun 27 with 7262 viewsfloridablue

One band you wish you had seen on 23:35 - Jun 26 by SouthBucksBlue

I was at Weeley as a teenager. T Rex indeed played but got booed off the stage for the cardinal sin of having 'sold out'. Marc Bolan however came back out on his own, braved a hailstorm of bottles sat down cross legged at the front of the stage with an acoustic guitar, played a solo set and won back the crowd. Showed real balls. What a festival that was. My first and favourite. The music started at Midnight on the Friday.

Cheers for your memory of the Weeley Fest, can you actually remember all what you've reported about Marc Bolan/T Rex? As i wrote earlier i was there as a 16 year old in 71 for at least one night but have no clue as to who i watched play! Four of us drove from Ipswich ( only recall the names of two!) I can remember being in the Weeley Pub before treaking across fields and i think we sneaked in without tickets, trying to be weekend hippies and slept the night in a field. Hope i did get to see or hear Bolan play!
One band you wish you had seen on 01:15 - Jun 27 with 7232 viewsWeWereZombies

One band you wish you had seen on 19:41 - Jun 26 by floridablue

This must of been my first festival and i was also around the 16 age and just growing my hair back after my skinhead days.Either this Weeley one or Alexandra Palace with Curved Air with the super hot Sonia Christina around the same time.
Remember Weeley organizers amazed that around 100,000 turn up.
Still cannot remember if i saw T Rex or not and didn't Don Mc Clean of American Pie fame turn up? Great times.

Can't remember seeing Don McClean but then I only just remember seeing Al Stewart, good review of the music on this website:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/weeley-press1.html

One band you wish you had seen on 08:57 - Jun 27 with 7188 viewsSouthBucksBlue

One band you wish you had seen on 00:03 - Jun 27 by floridablue

Cheers for your memory of the Weeley Fest, can you actually remember all what you've reported about Marc Bolan/T Rex? As i wrote earlier i was there as a 16 year old in 71 for at least one night but have no clue as to who i watched play! Four of us drove from Ipswich ( only recall the names of two!) I can remember being in the Weeley Pub before treaking across fields and i think we sneaked in without tickets, trying to be weekend hippies and slept the night in a field. Hope i did get to see or hear Bolan play!

Haha! Well I shouldn't be able to as I was as I wasn't backwards in getting erm imbibed in those days but I can. I remember the Bolan incident clearly and all the bands WeWereZombies does. And of course there were the infamous 'ablution facilities' for which 'bogs' was never a truer pseudonym There's a Weeley festival website which I'm sure google will find for you which is full of reminiscing and great anecdotes.
One band you wish you had seen on 09:09 - Jun 27 with 7182 viewsRadlett_blue

One band you wish you had seen on 08:57 - Jun 27 by SouthBucksBlue

Haha! Well I shouldn't be able to as I was as I wasn't backwards in getting erm imbibed in those days but I can. I remember the Bolan incident clearly and all the bands WeWereZombies does. And of course there were the infamous 'ablution facilities' for which 'bogs' was never a truer pseudonym There's a Weeley festival website which I'm sure google will find for you which is full of reminiscing and great anecdotes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series4/weeley_festival_1971_essex_rod_stewa

I was 14 at the time & too young to go, but I do remember plenty of local opposition to the idea at the time (as with most festivals, I suppose).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

One band you wish you had seen on 11:36 - Jun 27 with 7158 viewsLightningboy

The Associates.
One band you wish you had seen on 12:21 - Jun 27 with 7136 viewsBinner

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

One band you wish you had seen on 13:15 - Jun 27 with 7104 viewsWeWereZombies

One band you wish you had seen on 09:09 - Jun 27 by Radlett_blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series4/weeley_festival_1971_essex_rod_stewa

I was 14 at the time & too young to go, but I do remember plenty of local opposition to the idea at the time (as with most festivals, I suppose).

Would loved to have seen that episode of 'Inside Out', one of the comments after the article is from someone who was my best mate for a few years and who I lost touch with when I had my first long term relationship. Good to know he was still going thirteen or so years ago, wonder what he is doing now?

Probably posting on here...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024