Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target 17:15 - Jun 26 with 7154 viewsNewsTWTD

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31799/mccarthy-top-six-will-be-the-targe

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 17:45 - Jun 26 with 6385 viewsTrequartista

He says that, and then when we're 16th he reckons he's doing a good job. Another year of yorkshire nonsense.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 18:29 - Jun 26 with 6353 viewsMJallday

you spelt "sixteen" incorrectly.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:25 - Jun 26 with 6292 viewsANNA3ROA

Should be Top two should be the target be ambitious Mick?
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:39 - Jun 26 with 6274 viewsBadgerBajner

Meaningless statement from MM. I would think the managers of, at the very least, Villa, Brum, Cardiff, Derby, Fulham, Hull, Leeds, Boro, Budgies, QPR, Reading, Sheff Wed, Sunderland and Wolves are saying the same thing. Realistically are we a top 6 side? No. We will do well to finish in the top half with the transfer policy and style of football.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:43 - Jun 26 with 6275 viewsPhilTWTD

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:25 - Jun 26 by ANNA3ROA

Should be Top two should be the target be ambitious Mick?

Given the way the division has developed, isn't targeting the top two much the same as the West Brom manager saying he's targeting the Champions League places these days? Top six is the only realistic target and even then we'd have to overachieve.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:00 - Jun 26 with 6229 viewstextbackup

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:43 - Jun 26 by PhilTWTD

Given the way the division has developed, isn't targeting the top two much the same as the West Brom manager saying he's targeting the Champions League places these days? Top six is the only realistic target and even then we'd have to overachieve.

MMs done a job on you

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:06 - Jun 26 with 6221 viewsolimar

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 19:43 - Jun 26 by PhilTWTD

The target should be promotion- why else are we aiming for the top 6 rather than the top 4 or the top 8? Because its a chance of winning promotion.
I dont want anyone at the club to be under the misapprehension that as long as we reach the top 6, weve achieved our goal.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:25 - Jun 26 with 6185 viewsPhilTWTD

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:06 - Jun 26 by olimar

The target should be promotion- why else are we aiming for the top 6 rather than the top 4 or the top 8? Because its a chance of winning promotion.
I dont want anyone at the club to be under the misapprehension that as long as we reach the top 6, weve achieved our goal.

The ultimate goal is obviously promotion but a top-six finish would be an achievement, if not success per se, in the current climate. These days a club similar to Town finishing in the top two in the Championship is not far off Leicester winning the Premier League in likelihood given the very significantly greater resources available to probably a third of the division.
Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:32 - Jun 26 with 6159 viewsFreddies_Ears

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:25 - Jun 26 by PhilTWTD

The ultimate goal is obviously promotion but a top-six finish would be an achievement, if not success per se, in the current climate. These days a club similar to Town finishing in the top two in the Championship is not far off Leicester winning the Premier League in likelihood given the very significantly greater resources available to probably a third of the division.

Phil, it seems, sadly, there's little point in trying to be supportive on here these days. What Mick said was entirely reasonable but some will whinge whatever happens.

Our transfer business looks pretty good so far, assuming the expected deals work out, but no doubt the usual crew will be upset we failed to sign Kane, Ronaldo and Bale.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:46 - Jun 26 with 6131 viewsRocky

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 20:32 - Jun 26 by Freddies_Ears

Phil, it seems, sadly, there's little point in trying to be supportive on here these days. What Mick said was entirely reasonable but some will whinge whatever happens.

Our transfer business looks pretty good so far, assuming the expected deals work out, but no doubt the usual crew will be upset we failed to sign Kane, Ronaldo and Bale.

People want the earth. I'd be happy with just Ronaldo.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 21:02 - Jun 26 with 6106 viewsPhilTWTD

Indeed, although not sure it's about being supportive or otherwise but realistic about the state of the Championship and how much it has changed.
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 21:15 - Jun 26 with 6068 viewspeterleeblue

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 21:02 - Jun 26 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, although not sure it's about being supportive or otherwise but realistic about the state of the Championship and how much it has changed.

Phil I am sorry I have to disagree.
Yes the Championship has changed and I don't expect Kane, Ronaldo or Bale.

What I do expect is a well scouted, hungry and organised squad not too dissimilar to Huddersfield and Brighton. Exactly what major financial advantage did they have over Town? In addition I want to see some entertaining passing football trying to win every game and not giving up once we go a goal behind. There is far too much pragmatism in football nowadays. Have a go, be lucky with injuries and suspensions and you never know.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 21:59]
Have you really just asked what major financial..... on 21:33 - Jun 26 with 6030 viewsBloots

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 21:15 - Jun 26 by peterleeblue

Phil I am sorry I have to disagree.
Yes the Championship has changed and I don't expect Kane, Ronaldo or Bale.

What I do expect is a well scouted, hungry and organised squad not too dissimilar to Huddersfield and Brighton. Exactly what major financial advantage did they have over Town? In addition I want to see some entertaining passing football trying to win every game and not giving up once we go a goal behind. There is far too much pragmatism in football nowadays. Have a go, be lucky with injuries and suspensions and you never know.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 21:59]

....advantage Brighton have had over us?

Really?

Plus who are these Bale brothers you speak of?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Have you really just asked what major financial..... on 22:00 - Jun 26 with 5972 viewspeterleeblue

Have you really just asked what major financial..... on 21:33 - Jun 26 by Bloots

....advantage Brighton have had over us?

Really?

Plus who are these Bale brothers you speak of?

What advantage did Brighton have over us then?
About £20m to spend..... on 22:05 - Jun 26 with 5959 viewsBloots

Have you really just asked what major financial..... on 22:00 - Jun 26 by peterleeblue

What advantage did Brighton have over us then?

....on players over the last couple of years.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:16 - Jun 26 with 5930 viewsTractorWood

It's not really an achievement if the only hope is to lose admirably and then blame the financial backdrop. Top 6 isn't a credible target, only promotion is and the playoffs are a means to achieve this.

We were amongst the top 2 in 14/15 around the new year and MM said top 6 was our target. I think he's just peddling the default expectation and will explain away when we fall short.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 22:38]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:28 - Jun 26 with 5909 viewsstrikalite

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:16 - Jun 26 by TractorWood

It's not really an achievement if the only hope is to lose admirably and then blame the financial backdrop. Top 6 isn't a credible target, only promotion is and the playoffs are a means to achieve this.

We were amongst the top 2 in 14/15 around the new year and MM said top 6 was our target. I think he's just peddling the default expectation and will explain away when we fall short.

Think he's just being realistic, we're competing against Clubs with huge resources , it's like a Premiership 2 now, to say the goal is top two would put a silly amount of pressure on him and the squad from the off, of course they'll give it their all but feet firmly on the ground and even top six is a huge ask for us now....I hate to say..

Hey, and I'm a MM outer!
McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:32 - Jun 26 with 5902 viewsDolly2.0

Indeed. What is he supposed to say? If he said we're aiming for 12th (more realistic) this place would go into meltdown.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:35 - Jun 26 with 5893 viewsDolly2.0

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:16 - Jun 26 by TractorWood

What do you want him to say?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:37 - Jun 26 with 5880 viewsCoastalblue

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:35 - Jun 26 by Dolly2.0

What about

"That Dolly, ee knows what 'es talking about that lad"?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:51 - Jun 26 with 5851 viewsTractorWood

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 22:35 - Jun 26 by Dolly2.0

Something like he's added some good players and if adds a couple more and gets the group to buy into his methods, the sky is the limit.

No just playoffs because it's feels like a non threatening cop out.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 23:07 - Jun 26 with 5814 viewsLord_Lucan

I think that's stretching it a bit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 23:25 - Jun 26 with 5782 viewsPhilTWTD

McCarthy: Top Six Will Be the Target on 23:07 - Jun 26 by Lord_Lucan

I think that's stretching it a bit.

A little bit perhaps but not much.
About £20m to spend..... on 23:27 - Jun 26 with 5777 viewsPhilTWTD

About £20m to spend..... on 22:05 - Jun 26 by Bloots

....on players over the last couple of years.

Indeed, the money spent there was very significant over a number of seasons.
About £20m to spend..... on 08:09 - Jun 27 with 5623 viewsBluebell

About £20m to spend..... on 23:27 - Jun 26 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, the money spent there was very significant over a number of seasons.

And the £20 million was just on players. It doesn't take into account the wage bill.

As others have said, what else could Mick say?

People will still moan whatever he says.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024