Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Grant Ward good enough? 13:15 - Jun 27 with 5981 viewsMaySixth

Massively frustrating watching him last season - drfited out of games far too much.

If he can get some consistency he could be a real threat

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:18 - Jun 27 with 4942 viewstractorshark

I don't think he's a winger. Not enough pace or trickery.
Better in the middle but a bit lightweight at times.
Definitely got talent though.
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:22 - Jun 27 with 4914 viewsitfcjoe

Yes

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:23 - Jun 27 with 4909 viewstrueblues78

I saw him play away and he came on to set up a goal with a run down the wing. You could see the players say to him that is what we need you to do, but his reaction suggested he isn't comfortable out wide. Back in the centre seems to be his preference.

He is still very young and will get better especially if we can find him the right role.

Poll: Would you sell Knudsen?

on 13:24 - Jun 27 with 4895 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:18 - Jun 27 by tractorshark

I don't think he's a winger. Not enough pace or trickery.
Better in the middle but a bit lightweight at times.
Definitely got talent though.

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:24 - Jun 27 with 4887 viewsReuser_is_God

He's a decent player but we need to get away from this 'tucked in winger' bollox.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

on 13:27 - Jun 27 with 4855 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:24 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

He's a decent player but we need to get away from this 'tucked in winger' bollox.

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:30 - Jun 27 with 4798 viewsSwailsey

on 13:24 - Jun 27 by _

Couldn't disagree more man. I think the opposite!

*edit - thanks Sam!*
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 13:45]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:30 - Jun 27 with 4802 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I don't think some of our tactics helped but yes from what I've seen he's comfortably good enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:32 - Jun 27 with 4788 viewsReuser_is_God

on 13:27 - Jun 27 by _

I do find it odd that Mick hasn't been able to recreate his 442 he had at both Sunderland & Wolves here.

2 holding in the middle, 2 out & out wingers & a probably strike partnership.

He's had 2 of the 3 components, the fact we didn't have the 3rd component in 14/15 probably cost us promotion.

He then, rightly, addressed this area of the team that summer but recruitment in other areas of the squad was absolutely woeful.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 13:33]

Evans out

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:34 - Jun 27 with 4760 viewsSamWhiteUK

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:30 - Jun 27 by Swailsey

*edit - thanks Sam!*

Couldn't disagree more, I think you mean
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:34 - Jun 27 with 4759 viewsFixed_It

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:32 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

I do find it odd that Mick hasn't been able to recreate his 442 he had at both Sunderland & Wolves here.

He's had 2 of the 3 components, the fact we didn't have the 3rd component in 14/15 probably cost us promotion.

He then, rightly, addressed this area of the team that summer but recruitment in other areas of the squad was absolutely woeful.

He's not had much success in recruiting wingers - apart from the obvious loanees.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

on 13:36 - Jun 27 with 4739 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:30 - Jun 27 by Swailsey

*edit - thanks Sam!*

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:37 - Jun 27 with 4726 viewsReuser_is_God

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:34 - Jun 27 by Fixed_It

He's not had much success in recruiting wingers - apart from the obvious loanees.

Exactly.

Hopefully Rowe will be an exception.

Evans out

on 13:39 - Jun 27 with 4712 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:32 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:40 - Jun 27 with 4692 viewsNorthern_Blue81

It seems to me from seeing him a good few times he does not understand his role or what he is been asked to do. Did he not play right wing / right back in one game last season, can;t recall which one and he kept on looking at the bench like a lost pup.
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:41 - Jun 27 with 4692 viewsReuser_is_God

on 13:39 - Jun 27 by _

That's very true but he's still signed sh1t wide players whether it's wide strikers or wingers.

The loan fees/wages we wasted on Fraser & Lawrence could've picked up a few wingers from L1/2 & solve the problem for the long term.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 13:41]

Evans out

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:41 - Jun 27 with 4689 viewsPJH

on 13:27 - Jun 27 by _

I think that most of his better performances have been when playing a bit deeper and narrower.
I think that as a unit our midfield usually (but not always) looked better with Ward in that role.

I don't think he looks all that good as an orthodox winger but has put in some goodish performances tucked in in midfield.

In answer to the question in the OP, my answer is that he is probably good enough.
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:43 - Jun 27 with 4670 viewsReuser_is_God

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:41 - Jun 27 by PJH

I think that most of his better performances have been when playing a bit deeper and narrower.
I think that as a unit our midfield usually (but not always) looked better with Ward in that role.

I don't think he looks all that good as an orthodox winger but has put in some goodish performances tucked in in midfield.

In answer to the question in the OP, my answer is that he is probably good enough.

But having wingers tucked in negates our attacking 'threat' even more.

Ward in a 3 is okay but Ward in a 4 tucked in is complete bollox.

Brighton at home last year he played on the right of a midfield 5 & he didn't leave the centre circle.

Evans out

on 13:44 - Jun 27 with 4655 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:41 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

That's very true but he's still signed sh1t wide players whether it's wide strikers or wingers.

The loan fees/wages we wasted on Fraser & Lawrence could've picked up a few wingers from L1/2 & solve the problem for the long term.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 13:41]

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:46 - Jun 27 with 4625 viewsReuser_is_God

on 13:44 - Jun 27 by _

Think he done okay for PNE to by all accounts, think he'll fully establish himself this season.

I like what I saw of Rowe briefly too, hope he does the business as I'm sick of our fans creaming themselves over loan players we'll never see again who score a few worldies in a nothing season.

Evans out

on 13:47 - Jun 27 with 4609 views_

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:46 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

Think he done okay for PNE to by all accounts, think he'll fully establish himself this season.

I like what I saw of Rowe briefly too, hope he does the business as I'm sick of our fans creaming themselves over loan players we'll never see again who score a few worldies in a nothing season.

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:54 - Jun 27 with 4559 viewsVaughan8

He started really well and I remember thinking in the defeat to Reading on Sky, he looked like an excellent player and was our main threat.

Not sure what happened later on in the season, if MM wanted him to do other things and he lost a bit of his attacking skills, or he was just low on confidence, but he looked like a different player.

Definitely got potential (he is still young) but always be aware of good debuts....! haha
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 14:25 - Jun 27 with 4431 viewsPJH

Is Grant Ward good enough? on 13:43 - Jun 27 by Reuser_is_God

But having wingers tucked in negates our attacking 'threat' even more.

Ward in a 3 is okay but Ward in a 4 tucked in is complete bollox.

Brighton at home last year he played on the right of a midfield 5 & he didn't leave the centre circle.

Yes, I did not make in clear in my original post but I did sort of mean that he has looked better suited to being tucked in with a wingback going up the outside rather than being a winger himself.
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 14:38 - Jun 27 with 4373 viewstractorshark

on 13:24 - Jun 27 by _

A major attribute for a winger is can you go past people, either with pace or trickery.
I don't believe Ward has shown enough of either to consistently trouble the opposition.
For me, he's looked better in a 3-man central midfield just behind the strikers.
But the frustration is he is a little too lightweight and sometimes needs a spark, an injustice, a bad tackle or a boot up the backside to start fighting for the ball.
Otherwise he drifts in and out of the game.
There's no question he's talented and he's got a knack of being in the right place at the right time. He's also got an eye for goal.
Im sure he's good enough but we need to develop him. At the moment I agree you couldn't play him centrally in a 4-4-2.
Is Grant Ward good enough? on 15:56 - Jun 27 with 4158 viewsRobTheMonk

He struck me as a 'confidence' player. When we're doing well he looks great. When we were struggling he looked, not sh1te, but lacking confidence. One game that springs to mind was he got given the ball and had about 20 yards to run into, but instead his first reaction was the safely pass the ball... backwards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024