Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wotcha! Marathon training update... 12:50 - Jun 28 with 11919 viewsunbelievablue

Thought I'd check in and provide an update on the marathon training, as a few of you have asked on other platforms and I received a number of lovely PMs when I took a brief hiatus from the site the other week.

Been an up and down time recently. When tragic events affect your mental health quite markedly, it can be difficult not to spiral. There is also a feeling of great guilt in your mental well-being having been changed by something like the tragedy at Grenfell tower. That is to say, I have not been personally, tangibly affected by the tragedy, and people have lost their lives and their homes, so why do I have any right to be emotionally affected? It is difficult to come to terms with that guilt.

On a brighter note, the training continues in earnest for my marathon (Athens, in November, to raise money for MIND). Yesterday evening I found a running track near Catford and paid the princely sum of £2.70 to use it, with the aim of smashing my 5km PB. As anyone who has trained for a marathon before will surely know, mixing up the routine is key: although longer runs, and hill runs, are paramount, it's important to throw in some shorter, more explosive workouts too. I was dead pleased with my time, which might not look much on the face of it, but for someone still flirting with 15.5 stone, is decent enough.

The PB:

Here's the JustGiving Link, if anyone is kind enough to support: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:11 - Jun 28 with 8807 viewsITFC1983

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/josh-edwards-athensmarathon2017

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:14 - Jun 28 with 8799 viewsTLA

Great work mate! DO keep us updated as it's good to hear how it's going. What mileage are you up to for the long slow runs?
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:37 - Jun 28 with 8786 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:14 - Jun 28 by TLA

Great work mate! DO keep us updated as it's good to hear how it's going. What mileage are you up to for the long slow runs?

Will do.

I've been focusing on Gym work and 5km-10km recently but July and August will see a number of longer training runs. On Friday I will be back in Suffolk and am looking to complete a hilly 10km comfortably under an hour!

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:43 - Jun 28 with 8782 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:37 - Jun 28 by unbelievablue

Will do.

I've been focusing on Gym work and 5km-10km recently but July and August will see a number of longer training runs. On Friday I will be back in Suffolk and am looking to complete a hilly 10km comfortably under an hour!

Good stuff bud. I try to aim for 52 mins for 10k and am doing my first run since my op today.

As a side note, does anyone know when the London marathon ballot results generally come through. I applied ages ago but was never sure when I'd hear either way.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:08 - Jun 28 with 8754 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ever feel you're just going round in circles unbelievablue?
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 15:08]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:16 - Jun 28 with 8743 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:43 - Jun 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Good stuff bud. I try to aim for 52 mins for 10k and am doing my first run since my op today.

As a side note, does anyone know when the London marathon ballot results generally come through. I applied ages ago but was never sure when I'd hear either way.

52 mins is really good, well done. I will struggle to hit that until I drop another stone and a half.

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 16:06 - Jun 28 with 8705 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:16 - Jun 28 by unbelievablue

52 mins is really good, well done. I will struggle to hit that until I drop another stone and a half.

I used to run in the Essex comps cross country in my schoolboy days and for Hornchurch

I was 27th in Essex at one stage and did 11k in 49 minutes aged 14

Then I stopped for 2/3 years and have never got to that level again
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 16:06]

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 16:29 - Jun 28 with 8682 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 14:43 - Jun 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Usually October for the Ballot
Login to get fewer ads

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 16:32 - Jun 28 with 8678 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 16:29 - Jun 28 by PrideOfTheEast

Usually October for the Ballot

Nice one

Cheers bud

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 19:41 - Jun 28 with 8646 viewsTractorWood

Decent pb. I'm going for sub 25min at park run on Saturday. Agree 100% about mixing it up.

Keep up the great work.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 21:42 - Jun 28 with 8612 viewssolemio

I used to find that running - which I did reasonably seriously - was important for my mental health. When I had to stop due to injury it coincided with a very difficult time professionally, and I felt I would have dealt with problems better if I had still been able to run.

This was a while ago, as I look on Facters as a young upstart.
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 22:19 - Jun 28 with 8585 viewsDarth_Koont

Nice one! Glad to hear it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:57 - Jun 29 with 8531 viewsITFC1983

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:58 - Jun 29 with 8524 viewsGlasgowBlue

I saw that yesterday on a just giving alert. Well done mate and keep it going.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:09 - Jun 29 with 8510 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:58 - Jun 29 by GlasgowBlue

I saw that yesterday on a just giving alert. Well done mate and keep it going.

Thanks.

On a side note, anyone have any tips for overcoming leg soreness, over and above resting and stretching? It is holding me back a little.

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 11:37 - Jun 29 with 8473 viewsITFC1983

Early Lunch Bump!

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 11:40 - Jun 29 with 8471 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:09 - Jun 29 by unbelievablue

Thanks.

On a side note, anyone have any tips for overcoming leg soreness, over and above resting and stretching? It is holding me back a little.

Sauna and steam, works every time

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:20 - Jun 29 with 8421 viewsITFC1983

Afternoon tea time, gone extravagant today!!!

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 15:39 - Jun 30 with 8364 viewsITFC1983

B

U

M

P

(Busy day)

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 06:59 - Jul 2 with 8315 viewsITFC1983

Hungover payday weekend. Give the price of a beer here-

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 07:48 - Jul 2 with 8301 viewsWD19

Thanks.

Try Epsom salts with a good soak in the bath.

[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 7:49]
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:16 - Jul 2 with 8269 viewsTractorWood

Thanks.

Don't neglect the cool down http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/how-to-cool-down-after-running-and-r .

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:23 - Jul 2 with 8266 viewsgerard1947

Haven't done a marathon for a while but still like to run a bit and haven't given up on doing another.

I suggest running when possible off road. A couple of reasons, although it can be uneven, for me it is less stressful on joints. Also being uneven I felt helped to strengthen my ankles anyway.

The other reason pounding the streets can be soulless. If you find a nice countryside run whilst better for your legs and feet is also better wellbeing in general. I have a good 5 mile circular run with loads of wildlife about. When training for a marathon I'd hide a stash of water and run up to 5 laps. People would look at me like I was mad, I would lap them as they walked round.

From one who has suffered, excercise and fresh air is as good a remedy for mental ills as most medication.

Good luck
Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:49 - Jul 2 with 8249 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thanks.

I don't mate. I don't do anything right. I just get up and go. I do no warm up or stretches. No warm downs and run even if my knees feel like they are on fire. Can't be doing my joints much good tbh.

Although I did run 8 miles last year on 5 year old Morphine sulphate tablets I had left over from when I had a bad back.

I really should look into the sort of stuff you are talking about.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 09:03 - Jul 2 with 8228 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha! Marathon training update... on 08:49 - Jul 2 by GlasgowBlue

I don't mate. I don't do anything right. I just get up and go. I do no warm up or stretches. No warm downs and run even if my knees feel like they are on fire. Can't be doing my joints much good tbh.

Although I did run 8 miles last year on 5 year old Morphine sulphate tablets I had left over from when I had a bad back.

I really should look into the sort of stuff you are talking about.

I was like that until I realised that without proper prep, stretching, warm-downs etc., I wouldn't be able to clock the miles I need. After a 10km or longer I can't run the next day, and sometimes I need to.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024