Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield 19:38 - Jun 28 with 9110 viewsBlueNomad

Huws, Skuse, Celina, Rowe, Ward, Bishop, Hyam - good start to the pool of potential starters (Hyam backup to Skuse?)
Midfield on 19:45 - Jun 28 with 8005 viewsHarry_Palmer

Its decent but still room for improvement. Personally I'd like to see an upgrade on Skuse in the holding position as quite frankly he just isn't very good. He lacks mobility and athleticism and is often caught out of position, and we all know he offers nothing going forward.

I doubt it will happen though as he is one of Mick's firm favourites for some reason.
Midfield on 19:48 - Jun 28 with 7989 viewsOsborneOneNil

Midfield on 19:45 - Jun 28 by Harry_Palmer

Its decent but still room for improvement. Personally I'd like to see an upgrade on Skuse in the holding position as quite frankly he just isn't very good. He lacks mobility and athleticism and is often caught out of position, and we all know he offers nothing going forward.

I doubt it will happen though as he is one of Mick's firm favourites for some reason.

100% bang on correct. Skuse is a weakness.

'Hyam back up to Skuse'.....[shudder]
Midfield on 19:49 - Jun 28 with 7988 viewsPJH

Yes, what we need is someone like that bloke with number 8 on his back that played a huge part in us controlling midfield and winning the game at home to Newcastle, now what was his name?
Midfield on 19:52 - Jun 28 with 7965 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sorry couldn't resist...the right number of them and it scans apart from Hyam.....he's gotta go ! Edit....just keep Bru !
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 19:53]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Midfield on 19:59 - Jun 28 with 7934 viewsHarry_Palmer

Midfield on 19:49 - Jun 28 by PJH

Yes, what we need is someone like that bloke with number 8 on his back that played a huge part in us controlling midfield and winning the game at home to Newcastle, now what was his name?

Yes because its always better to judge a player on one game than over a whole season.

You know its amazing we have managed to keep hold of such a top class holding midfielder really, what with so many other top end championship sides chasing him during the time he has been with us.......hats off to the board for rejecting all those offers I say.
Midfield on 20:03 - Jun 28 with 7915 viewsPJH

Midfield on 19:59 - Jun 28 by Harry_Palmer

Yes because its always better to judge a player on one game than over a whole season.

You know its amazing we have managed to keep hold of such a top class holding midfielder really, what with so many other top end championship sides chasing him during the time he has been with us.......hats off to the board for rejecting all those offers I say.

I will go through his season game by game if you want, because I saw them all, I was just highlighting his most recent outstanding game.

Interesting that you do not deny that he played well against Newcastle because people that do not rate Skuse do not usually acknowledge that he might have had an ok game.
Midfield on 20:05 - Jun 28 with 7911 viewsMark

Huws is a big addition and a certain starter, but beyond him I am still a bit worried about our midfield. We just don't seem to be able to pass the ball like other sides, in probability partly down to the manager and partly lack of quality.

Skuse can play well, but at other times Diagouraga came in and looked better. Cole is 31 now so won't get more mobile as the years pass.

I look forward to seeing Celina and Rowe.

Bishop I am starting to give up on after very high hopes. Hyam has always been a hard worker but limited, and the injuries don't help him.

Let's not forget Dozzell, he is 18 now.
Midfield on 20:08 - Jun 28 with 7888 viewsLankHenners

Midfield on 19:59 - Jun 28 by Harry_Palmer

We have rejected offers for him in the past I believe, sorry.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Midfield on 20:14 - Jun 28 with 7857 viewsHarry_Palmer

Midfield on 20:03 - Jun 28 by PJH

I will go through his season game by game if you want, because I saw them all, I was just highlighting his most recent outstanding game.

Interesting that you do not deny that he played well against Newcastle because people that do not rate Skuse do not usually acknowledge that he might have had an ok game.

He did play well against Newcastle and had other good games but he also had quite a few average and poor games. He does a job and I'm not saying he is terrible but if we really want to improve and aim for the top six then he is not good enough.

If you don't agree, fine, that's your opinion. But I repeat, I don't see too many promotion contenders knocking on our door to take him off our hands.
Midfield on 20:17 - Jun 28 with 7835 viewsHarry_Palmer

Midfield on 20:08 - Jun 28 by LankHenners

We have rejected offers for him in the past I believe, sorry.

No need to be sorry, just provide some evidence to back up your claim. Happy to be proved wrong but I can't remember a bid from anybody let alone a promotion contender.
Midfield on 20:23 - Jun 28 with 7810 viewsPJH

Midfield on 20:14 - Jun 28 by Harry_Palmer

He did play well against Newcastle and had other good games but he also had quite a few average and poor games. He does a job and I'm not saying he is terrible but if we really want to improve and aim for the top six then he is not good enough.

If you don't agree, fine, that's your opinion. But I repeat, I don't see too many promotion contenders knocking on our door to take him off our hands.

I agree that last season he was inconsistent in comparison with his previous seasons here and I am not saying that it is not possible to improve on him, but I am saying that he is still a very useful and necessary part of our team-as evidenced by the Newcastle game-and not a weakness.

From your first post on this thread I had assumed that you were one of those that refuse to see any good in him, clearly you are not and I apologise for that assumption.
Midfield on 20:26 - Jun 28 with 7801 viewsLankHenners

Midfield on 20:17 - Jun 28 by Harry_Palmer

No need to be sorry, just provide some evidence to back up your claim. Happy to be proved wrong but I can't remember a bid from anybody let alone a promotion contender.

Bids fly about all the time, we're very unlikely to know about the vast majority of them. I'm pretty sure there was some in the know knowledge a couple of years ago about rejecting offers from Fulham, and I think Reading.

On a wider point, like the rest of his teammates last season, Skuse was underwhelming in between good games. Before that was part of a team that had 3 top 10 finishes, and the defensive midfielder in the team with one of the best defensive outfits in the league in those seasons. Hopefully he'll return to form next season and with a better calibre midfielder next to him in Huws he won't have to be singled out by people who think he's responsible for the entire workload of the midfield. Will need a younger version of him at some point and I'm beginning to think Mick sees Nydam as that player.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Midfield on 20:28 - Jun 28 with 7787 viewsolimar

Hyam is definitely a backup. Probably for a League One team.
Midfield on 20:55 - Jun 28 with 7725 viewsHarry_Palmer

Midfield on 20:23 - Jun 28 by PJH

I agree that last season he was inconsistent in comparison with his previous seasons here and I am not saying that it is not possible to improve on him, but I am saying that he is still a very useful and necessary part of our team-as evidenced by the Newcastle game-and not a weakness.

From your first post on this thread I had assumed that you were one of those that refuse to see any good in him, clearly you are not and I apologise for that assumption.

No, I can certainly see what he offers to a team at this level, I just happen to think he is average at what he does and can be improved on.
Midfield on 07:36 - Jun 29 with 7565 viewsNo9

Midfield on 19:49 - Jun 28 by PJH

Unfortunately turning up for one game a season isn't much good when you have a lot more to play.
Midfield on 07:50 - Jun 29 with 7540 viewsKeaneish

Definitely still room for improvement. I'd like to see us bring in some more width so Freddie doesnt get pulled out there when we have injuries. There's still a further of creativity in the middle for me. I can probably make our starting midfield for the opening fixture and we need to become less predictable this season.

The whole Skuse debate has been done to death and he divides opinion as much as MM's managerial reign. He's not the answer for me and has been way off the pace for two years now despite a couple of decent games. We need someone to boss games and dictate the pace. Skuse has never done this in a Town shirt.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Midfield on 08:02 - Jun 29 with 7508 viewsblueislander

Midfield on 20:03 - Jun 28 by PJH

His defensive qualities are much vaunted, but surely a Championship midfielder has to contribute something to the attack. It is not only his complete lack of goals , but the absence of defence splitting distribution that we could improve on. A team does not have to have one midfielder whose sole purpose is to nullify the opposition. Aren't midfielders supposed to be multi-purpose?
Midfield on 08:30 - Jun 29 with 7469 viewsbluehook

Bishop and Hyam are never fit for long enough to be even considered.
Midfield on 08:41 - Jun 29 with 7437 viewsmaccyd9

Skuse in a 3 man midfield is fine.

Skuse in a 442 is a problem. In a 442, the 2 middle men have to be able to both get up and down, both be creative and both do the dirty work.

Skuse is ok at the defensive side but cannot contribute going forward and gone are the days whereby one of the two centre mids in a 442 are holding.

I know he's probably well beyond our means but someone like Joe Ledley would totally transform that midfield.
Midfield on 09:49 - Jun 29 with 7353 viewsCaptainObvious

As long as Celina performs as well as Lawrence, we have the midfield that finished 16th last season.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Midfield on 09:51 - Jun 29 with 7349 viewschicoazul

Mick supposedly really likes Rowe and will be looking to play him wide right this season. He also wants to bring Nydam in. I can see Ward struggling to get much game time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Midfield on 09:54 - Jun 29 with 7337 viewsSomethingBlue

Midfield on 09:51 - Jun 29 by chicoazul

Mick supposedly really likes Rowe and will be looking to play him wide right this season. He also wants to bring Nydam in. I can see Ward struggling to get much game time.

Think Ward is actually a player who can really push on for us this season. Not sure we'll see both Rowe and Celina start if it's 4-4-2. Also expect we'll bring another winger in. Celina is more a "combination" player than Lawrence in my view; less explosive, cleverer and trickier.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Midfield on 09:59 - Jun 29 with 7327 viewsTIB

Rowe looked lively at Forest so I'm hopeful we will see him more regularly this season...him and Celina seem to cover the LM/LW area, but we still only have Ward for RM, although I seem to recall Rowe playing on the right at Forest for a bit and looked fairly comfortably. I do think an extra wide right player wouldn't go amiss though, we need depth and competition.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Midfield on 10:16 - Jun 29 with 7282 viewsdirtyboy

Midfield on 09:49 - Jun 29 by CaptainObvious

As long as Celina performs as well as Lawrence, we have the midfield that finished 16th last season.

I don't think our midfield was ever that bad, it was having strikers that scored 16 goals between them that's the issue. (Pitman 4, Sears 7 and McGoldrick 5) ANY decent team needs a striker to put away 15-20 goals a season. Not just for the goals, but when a striker is on form, he gets more attention and that frees up space elsewhere for others to chip in. That position is so important.

Had Lawrence not scored 9 league goals himself, we'd have been in a right mess.

Garner and McGoldrick have to step up this season.

Huws did score 3 in his half season, so you'd hope he'd chip in with 6 or 7 this year.
Midfield on 10:19 - Jun 29 with 7271 viewsNo9

Midfield on 10:16 - Jun 29 by dirtyboy

I don't think our midfield was ever that bad, it was having strikers that scored 16 goals between them that's the issue. (Pitman 4, Sears 7 and McGoldrick 5) ANY decent team needs a striker to put away 15-20 goals a season. Not just for the goals, but when a striker is on form, he gets more attention and that frees up space elsewhere for others to chip in. That position is so important.

Had Lawrence not scored 9 league goals himself, we'd have been in a right mess.

Garner and McGoldrick have to step up this season.

Huws did score 3 in his half season, so you'd hope he'd chip in with 6 or 7 this year.

Yep BUT- if Town had the es striker in football up front he would do nothing if he didn't get the ball & that is the problem = abandonded goofball when Murph departed no-one to play the ball through to the front men
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024