Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just under a million for Huws 20:06 - Jun 28 with 7126 viewsMullet

That is outstanding value. I thought £1.5m or so, not forgetting his wages where he took a cut to come here before means we've probably put a bit there instead of a fee. I assume Cardiff wanted rid to ease up budgets sharpish too.

I think that's the best value for an established player we've paid for ages. Before that it's been mostly punts hasn't it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Just under a million for Huws on 20:10 - Jun 28 with 6204 viewsSWGF

I make you right (for once...).

Would imagine there'd be a chunky signing on fee to keep him within the wage budget.

Had we not signed him, I'd have been mightily peeved however this is a real statement of intent at our level of spending (as opposed to, for example, paying over £5m for a French striker).

Great age, good experience, saleable asset if things go well and we know what he can do.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Just under a million for Huws on 20:14 - Jun 28 with 6157 viewsSwansea_Blue

Very much a Walters-type signing imo. The lad has class and was highly rated. He's lost his way a bit, but hopefully being settled with us will allow him to reach his potential. If he does that could be the best £1m ME has ever invested.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just under a million for Huws on 20:15 - Jun 28 with 6142 viewsTractorWood

Agree. Fairly on point post.........

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just under a million for Huws on 20:22 - Jun 28 with 6132 viewsPhilTWTD

Yes, big wages by Town standards, from what I gather. I'm sure he'll now be the highest paid player at the club.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 6072 viewsMullet

Just under a million for Huws on 20:22 - Jun 28 by PhilTWTD

Yes, big wages by Town standards, from what I gather. I'm sure he'll now be the highest paid player at the club.

Is that because he's trumped Pitman and McGoldrick/Berra has left?

Or are we no longer structuring around performance bonuses?

Just under a million for Huws on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 6055 viewsFixed_It

And the longest contract?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just under a million for Huws on 20:31 - Jun 28 with 6049 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Wasn't the worry that taking on a player and breaking our maximum wage on a new signing would force us to offer a higher wage than a current top earners?

Could it be that they are now getting on and a bit more accepting of it?

Poll: Best Football Song

Just under a million for Huws on 20:34 - Jun 28 with 6010 viewsIllinoisblue

more than Chambo?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Just under a million for Huws on 20:38 - Jun 28 with 6002 viewsSuperfrans

he's a big signing for us. Given that we have him on a four year deal, from aged 23 to 27, we'll get some of the best years of his career. I would expect Mick to build the team around him now, a midfield base of Huws, Skuse and Ward.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Just under a million for Huws on 20:39 - Jun 28 with 5980 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Just under a million for Huws on 20:38 - Jun 28 by Superfrans

he's a big signing for us. Given that we have him on a four year deal, from aged 23 to 27, we'll get some of the best years of his career. I would expect Mick to build the team around him now, a midfield base of Huws, Skuse and Ward.

McCarthy's Norris.

Poll: Best Football Song

Just under a million for Huws on 20:40 - Jun 28 with 5995 viewsPhilTWTD

Just under a million for Huws on 20:29 - Jun 28 by Mullet

Is that because he's trumped Pitman and McGoldrick/Berra has left?

Or are we no longer structuring around performance bonuses?

I'm sure there will be lots of incentives but we've needed to push the boat out as he was on big wages at Cardiff. McGoldrick was previously the highest paid player, I believe.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:47 - Jun 28 with 5895 viewsFreddies_Ears

Just under a million for Huws on 20:38 - Jun 28 by Superfrans

Those three plus a decent winger and I am feeling confident.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:48 - Jun 28 with 5900 viewsIllinoisblue

Just under a million for Huws on 20:40 - Jun 28 by PhilTWTD

I'm sure there will be lots of incentives but we've needed to push the boat out as he was on big wages at Cardiff. McGoldrick was previously the highest paid player, I believe.

and THIS is the real problem with parachute payments; Cardiff's brief flirtation with the premier league 3 years ago has this knock-on effect for teams like us and players like Huws. Bonkers as someone once said.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Just under a million for Huws on 20:49 - Jun 28 with 5884 viewsnshearman1

Just under a million for Huws on 20:40 - Jun 28 by PhilTWTD

Still, it's good to see that we have pushed the boat out. Clearly the fee is balanced by the high wages and the length of contract so he's been given a lot all round. Having said that, he now needs to match that with consistent performances across a whole season.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:55 - Jun 28 with 5852 viewsPhilTWTD

Just under a million for Huws on 20:48 - Jun 28 by Illinoisblue

and THIS is the real problem with parachute payments; Cardiff's brief flirtation with the premier league 3 years ago has this knock-on effect for teams like us and players like Huws. Bonkers as someone once said.

Indeed, big wage inflation in the last couple of years. Town's wage bill has gone up - by a million last season to £17.5m - but it's been less competitive in the context of the division as a whole.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:58 - Jun 28 with 5819 viewsHarry_Palmer

Agreed. I really like him as a player and a great bit of business to get him in at under a Million.
Just under a million for Huws on 20:58 - Jun 28 with 5812 viewshampstead_blue

we stole him at that money.....

proof that value is there

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Just under a million for Huws on 21:06 - Jun 28 with 5777 viewsFreddies_Ears

Just under a million for Huws on 20:55 - Jun 28 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, big wage inflation in the last couple of years. Town's wage bill has gone up - by a million last season to £17.5m - but it's been less competitive in the context of the division as a whole.

Woh! And of that 17.5m, how much is actually contributed by fans via season tickets and matchday admission? (Phil, I assume you know?)
Just under a million for Huws on 21:13 - Jun 28 with 5725 viewsolimar

I think the length of contract and his age and pedigree make it a great deal. Id actually assumed his fee would be something like 500k, because Cardiff just want to get business done. Im guessing they spent perhaps £1.5m on him?
Just under a million for Huws on 21:14 - Jun 28 with 5723 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just under a million for Huws on 20:58 - Jun 28 by hampstead_blue

we stole him at that money.....

proof that value is there

If the situation is right, yes. They'll have wanted to get him off the books so I reckon we've effectively got a discount on the fee. Win, win for both clubs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just under a million for Huws on 21:17 - Jun 28 with 5697 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, it's a great deal.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Just under a million for Huws on 21:22 - Jun 28 with 5662 viewsolimar

Just under a million for Huws on 21:14 - Jun 28 by Swansea_Blue

If the situation is right, yes. They'll have wanted to get him off the books so I reckon we've effectively got a discount on the fee. Win, win for both clubs.

I must admit, Id assumed the fee would be less, 500k or so, because it would be all about trying to take on his wages. Not saying it isnt still a good deal, given that Cardiff would surely have paid more only a year ago.
Just under a million for Huws on 22:15 - Jun 28 with 5447 viewsMullet

Just under a million for Huws on 21:22 - Jun 28 by olimar

I must admit, Id assumed the fee would be less, 500k or so, because it would be all about trying to take on his wages. Not saying it isnt still a good deal, given that Cardiff would surely have paid more only a year ago.

They were never going to do what we've done and pay him up to leave, and will know he's got value elsewhere so there's a tension there in the negotiations.

Especially as Brizzle were interested and seem to love paying over the odds to finish in the doldrums.

Just under a million for Huws on 22:23 - Jun 28 with 5400 viewstextbackup

Great signing, but we need more.

Chances on Huws getting injured for majority of season, be our luck

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just under a million for Huws on 22:31 - Jun 28 with 5355 viewsPhilTWTD

Just under a million for Huws on 21:06 - Jun 28 by Freddies_Ears

Woh! And of that 17.5m, how much is actually contributed by fans via season tickets and matchday admission? (Phil, I assume you know?)

Not off the top of my head but in the previous year, when the wage bill was £16.5m, gate receipts were £6.5m.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024