Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glen Whelan up for grabs... 23:00 - Jun 28 with 3146 viewsWicklowBlue

Derby pull out of race to sign Glenn Whelan - reports http://the42.ie/3466065

A very devisive player in for us lot in Ireland. Yet has played consistently for Stoke in the EPL and the Irish team. Valued if we believe at 1 million.

Of course we can't afford his wages but would he be a step up on Skuse?
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 23:10]
Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:01 - Jun 28 with 3133 viewsMullet

No.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:05 - Jun 28 with 3115 viewsJimmyJazz

don't think he's far off being another Douglas, maybe one more season until he reaches that level

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:06 - Jun 28 with 3113 viewsSarge

Undoubtedly, and I like Skuse as both a player and a person.

I'd prefer we followed up on McGinn though.
Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:18 - Jun 28 with 3060 viewsWicklowBlue

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:05 - Jun 28 by JimmyJazz

don't think he's far off being another Douglas, maybe one more season until he reaches that level

Even thought I dont rate Whelan highly, I think thats harsh comparing him to Douglas!

Douglas was brought in for a different mission than Skuse and Douglas didnt cut it on all fronts.

Re. Whelan despite my views on his term with the Irish team, I think he could do a great holding defensive midfield job in the Championship.

Hence I was just being provocative in saying he could fill our Skuse role. Not that I'd want him anywhere near our squad....
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 23:22]
Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:22 - Jun 28 with 3032 viewsJimmyJazz

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:18 - Jun 28 by WicklowBlue

Even thought I dont rate Whelan highly, I think thats harsh comparing him to Douglas!

Douglas was brought in for a different mission than Skuse and Douglas didnt cut it on all fronts.

Re. Whelan despite my views on his term with the Irish team, I think he could do a great holding defensive midfield job in the Championship.

Hence I was just being provocative in saying he could fill our Skuse role. Not that I'd want him anywhere near our squad....
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 23:22]

i'm quite surprised he's stayed at Stoke - and therefore at the top table - for so long, particularly after they signed Imbula. I guess it's the fate of a defensive midfielder to not be appreciated. But he's 33 and Douglas seriously went downhill quickly at around the same age

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:33 - Jun 28 with 3017 viewsWicklowBlue

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:22 - Jun 28 by JimmyJazz

i'm quite surprised he's stayed at Stoke - and therefore at the top table - for so long, particularly after they signed Imbula. I guess it's the fate of a defensive midfielder to not be appreciated. But he's 33 and Douglas seriously went downhill quickly at around the same age

Compared to a lot of players Whelan has lived at the top table for a lot longer. The Stoke owner is quoted as saying he was their best signing.

In terms of the Irish team he has been our Leadbitter, (during his Town days), gets the ball and passes it square or backwards. He is everything we dont need at this time and on immense wages.

He just strikes me as a MM playe,r if we didn't have Skuse in that role. Hence I was just asking would he do a better job in front of the back 4/5?
Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 00:33 - Jun 29 with 2932 viewsbournemouthblue

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:06 - Jun 28 by Sarge

Undoubtedly, and I like Skuse as both a player and a person.

I'd prefer we followed up on McGinn though.

I'd far prefer someone like Adeyemi or Ince. At least they're about the right age and capable of moving forward with us.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 13:12 - Jun 29 with 2606 viewsOsborneOneNil

Glen Whelan up for grabs... on 23:33 - Jun 28 by WicklowBlue

Compared to a lot of players Whelan has lived at the top table for a lot longer. The Stoke owner is quoted as saying he was their best signing.

In terms of the Irish team he has been our Leadbitter, (during his Town days), gets the ball and passes it square or backwards. He is everything we dont need at this time and on immense wages.

He just strikes me as a MM playe,r if we didn't have Skuse in that role. Hence I was just asking would he do a better job in front of the back 4/5?

An upgrade on Skuse? Different planet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024