Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Academy. Money Pit? 12:37 - Jun 29 with 5795 viewsIpswichTownNL

Our Academy is a big part of our phenomenal 5 point plan. But why? If we can’t even sign our own products what’s the point in having and academy all together?

I haven’t seen Benyu kick a ball with my own eye’s and have no clue as to how good he is but him leaving is kind off ridiculous. Besides, if you have a real talent some big money club will lure him away before the age of 16 (Harry Clarke for instance) anyway. Look at how hard we had to sweat Dozzell signing his deal.

I understand the academy may be seen as the hearth and soul of the club but at what cost? What is the last youth product that had some real value money or added something on the pitch? Bishop in 14/15? Cases to be made for Dozzell, Kenlock & Emmanuel I guess, but that remains to be seen.

Only real transfer value came from Cresswell, Mings and eventually Webster who came in at U23 level.

Brentford is the first club to close their academy — which might make more sense location wise — but I just can’t see our academy being anything else than a money pit if we can’t agree terms with 19 year olds anymore.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 12:49 - Jun 29 with 5139 viewschristiand

They were discussing this issue on TALKsport this morning after David Gold questioned the benefit of pumping £5m into West Ham's academy each season with little reward. Received mixed responses from listeners. Personally, the Premier League sides just go out and buy their players for instant success they haven't the time to nurture young players, like in the past, as the financial demands of the league are too great. From our point of view, we need the academy and for it to work well as this potentially is a huge windfall for ITFC if we produce some gems for the first team, which we sell for £ms - Wright, Bramble, Dyer, Bent, Ambrose, Wickham etc.. You look at the transfer market we can't really compete with the fees this is why we need more of our youngsters coming through, as long as they are good enough. This is why the club's teams all need to be encouraged to play the same way and have quality coaching in place from the grass roots up is so important for our club to thrive.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 12:49 - Jun 29 with 5133 viewsconnorscontract

Kenlock has already added something on the pitch. Emmanuel doesn't look quite as ready but he certainly shouldn't be written off.

Hyam has been an important part of the team in spells, but has had really bad luck with injuries.

Reading between the lines, it seems that both Bishop and Benyu have not wanted to fully conform to Mick's way of doing things, and in Benyu's case it seems both parties think it best for him to move on. I believe we get compensation, although I'm not sure if that applies with a move to Scotland.

Dozzell and Nydam are both considered players of great potential. If one of either of them, or Kenlock or Emmanuel for that matter, make it as even an ok first team player then the Academy for their cohort will have paid for itself.

Although it is still massively in credit, having paid for itself for ten years plus with Jordan Rhodes and Connor Wickham.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 12:57 - Jun 29 with 5084 viewsSW6Tractor

I get your point but...

Benyu left of his own accord, we got a significant amount of money from Wickham and will have got significant compensation for Clarke.

We sold Matt Clarke to Portsmouth (as part of Webster deal, who has gone on to excel), we have Emmanuel and Kenlock regularly playing in the first team with Dozzell, Nydam and others on the cusp.

By no stretch a manufacturing line, but it's contributing as much as any other in our division. Brentford have significant competition locally (primarily the massive academy at Chelsea) - we do not have that issue.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:05 - Jun 29 with 5056 viewsElderGrizzly

It's about £2m a year for us, so it is a lot of money.

I'd say right now it is borderline whether it is worthwhile, with clubs like Brentford showing a different approach can also work.

Would we be better of allocating another £2m or £40k a week in wages to Mick's transfer pot?
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:09 - Jun 29 with 5027 viewshype313

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 12:49 - Jun 29 by christiand

They were discussing this issue on TALKsport this morning after David Gold questioned the benefit of pumping £5m into West Ham's academy each season with little reward. Received mixed responses from listeners. Personally, the Premier League sides just go out and buy their players for instant success they haven't the time to nurture young players, like in the past, as the financial demands of the league are too great. From our point of view, we need the academy and for it to work well as this potentially is a huge windfall for ITFC if we produce some gems for the first team, which we sell for £ms - Wright, Bramble, Dyer, Bent, Ambrose, Wickham etc.. You look at the transfer market we can't really compete with the fees this is why we need more of our youngsters coming through, as long as they are good enough. This is why the club's teams all need to be encouraged to play the same way and have quality coaching in place from the grass roots up is so important for our club to thrive.

But those players were all around a particular time, we almost had a golden generation of youngsters coming through, but how many were brought through that we sold for significant sums from the late 70's to the late 90's?

As much as Keiron, Titus, Richard and Connor brought in significant sums that was a very small period in our history. And the question is doe we keep throwing money at it, especially if other clubs can just poach our best talent.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:30 - Jun 29 with 4948 viewsitfcjoe

Whilst there are questions that can be asked and debate is valid - far too much is being made about losing a player with a suspect attitude who would've been released bar a good loan spell in the Conference

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:32 - Jun 29 with 4929 viewsElderGrizzly

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:30 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

Whilst there are questions that can be asked and debate is valid - far too much is being made about losing a player with a suspect attitude who would've been released bar a good loan spell in the Conference

Especially when we have so many good prospects or established players in CM ahead of him
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:33 - Jun 29 with 4923 viewsReuser_is_God

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:05 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

It's about £2m a year for us, so it is a lot of money.

I'd say right now it is borderline whether it is worthwhile, with clubs like Brentford showing a different approach can also work.

Would we be better of allocating another £2m or £40k a week in wages to Mick's transfer pot?

No, we should stop wasting fees/wages on sh1t like Douglas, Bru, Coke, Toure, Moore etc etc

You can;t tell me we don't have players in our u21's or whathever who couldn't have made the same, or better, contributions than them?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:35 - Jun 29 with 4911 viewsReuser_is_God

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:32 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

Especially when we have so many good prospects or established players in CM ahead of him

Do we though?

For me Huws & Skuse our only only established CM's

Bishop - never fit
Hyam - never fit
Douglas - gone
Coke - who?
Bru - Mick wants him gone

IMO we're so light in CM. Not saying we should've kept Benyu but it's an area of the squad that needs strengthening quickly.

Evans out

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:38 - Jun 29 with 4887 viewsElderGrizzly

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:35 - Jun 29 by Reuser_is_God

Do we though?

Bishop - never fit
Hyam - never fit
Douglas - gone
Coke - who?

IMO we're so light in CM. Not saying we should've kept Benyu but it's an area of the squad that needs strengthening quickly.

Bishop
Dozzell
Ward
Skuse
Huws
Hyam

All would be in front of Benyu right now in the CM positions and I know Joe thinks Ndyam is also a better prospect.

Agree, fitness needs to improve for Bishop to be considered a real option, but anymore CMs we bring in would only push Benyu further back. He'd be 6th or 7th choice and I assume the questionable attitude hasn't helped.

And if Mick goes back to 442, only 2 of those can play?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 13:40]
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:39 - Jun 29 with 4882 viewsKieran_Knows

Do we though?

Bishop - never fit
Hyam - never fit
Douglas - gone
Coke - who?

Dozzell is on the cusp, Downes and Nydam are highly thought of and may start making appearances soon (albeit Cup and possible cameo roles from bench).

I think we'll definitely add another (Adeyemi IMHO), and we'll get the physio's working around the clock to get Bishop and Hyam ready (again).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:40 - Jun 29 with 4866 viewsReuser_is_God

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:38 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

Bishop
Dozzell
Ward
Skuse
Huws
Hyam

All would be in front of Benyu right now in the CM positions and I know Joe thinks Ndyam is also a better prospect.

Agree, fitness needs to improve for Bishop to be considered a real option, but anymore CMs we bring in would only push Benyu further back. He'd be 6th or 7th choice and I assume the questionable attitude hasn't helped.

And if Mick goes back to 442, only 2 of those can play?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 13:40]

Hyam & Bishop are always injured & simply can't be relied on.

Fair point about Nydam & I'm unsure about Dozzell for some reason, he just doesn't strike me as a Mick CM.

Evans out

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:41 - Jun 29 with 4856 viewsReuser_is_God

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:39 - Jun 29 by Kieran_Knows

Dozzell is on the cusp, Downes and Nydam are highly thought of and may start making appearances soon (albeit Cup and possible cameo roles from bench).

I think we'll definitely add another (Adeyemi IMHO), and we'll get the physio's working around the clock to get Bishop and Hyam ready (again).

& then they'll break down (again).

We are so light, I'd be looking for another 2 CM's.

Get rid of Hyam & Bru, Bishop out on loan.

Evans out

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:43 - Jun 29 with 4836 viewsElderGrizzly

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:40 - Jun 29 by Reuser_is_God

Hyam & Bishop are always injured & simply can't be relied on.

Fair point about Nydam & I'm unsure about Dozzell for some reason, he just doesn't strike me as a Mick CM.

He probably isn't right now, unless he bulks up a bit. He could do with 6 months in L1
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:43 - Jun 29 with 4836 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Can you imagine the absolute sh1t storm if Marcus Evans casually announced the closure of our academy?
Completely unthinkable, even if practically speaking you can make an argument for it.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:45 - Jun 29 with 4827 viewsitfcjoe

Do we though?

Bishop - never fit
Hyam - never fit
Douglas - gone
Coke - who?

In an ideal world we would have kept him, and is obvious Mick wanted to. But losing him is being made into something it isn't in my view

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:48 - Jun 29 with 4813 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:43 - Jun 29 by Axeldalai_lama

Can you imagine the absolute sh1t storm if Marcus Evans casually announced the closure of our academy?
Completely unthinkable, even if practically speaking you can make an argument for it.

Agreed.

He won't incidentally - it's an area he's very interested in.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:49 - Jun 29 with 4797 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:43 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

He probably isn't right now, unless he bulks up a bit. He could do with 6 months in L1

Good shout on six months in league one, Southend or Peterborough would keep him close ish. Colchester utd prob a step down too far.
Put a recall on the deal and everyones a winner. (dunno the rules on recalls now, seem to think they changed recently?)
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:50 - Jun 29 with 4793 viewsElderGrizzly

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:48 - Jun 29 by PrideOfTheEast

Agreed.

He won't incidentally - it's an area he's very interested in.

Agreed he won't and is apparently increasing funding, not decreasing too.

A fairly regular visitor I understand?
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:52 - Jun 29 with 4790 viewsHarryWright

Apparently Jack Marriott is wanted by championship clubs also, another player we let go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40432597

Doesn't surprise me though, we should've tried to develop Marriott ourselves. Same situation to happen with Benyu no doubt.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:53 - Jun 29 with 4777 viewsKieran_Knows

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:41 - Jun 29 by Reuser_is_God

& then they'll break down (again).

We are so light, I'd be looking for another 2 CM's.

Get rid of Hyam & Bru, Bishop out on loan.

Suppose it'll depend on what's left in the budget. I think it also depends on how Mick views Dozzell, does he now class him as someone who he can rely on? If so, he adds to the options we've got, which might mean Mick will only look to add 1 other centre mid (which I think he will).

Big year for Hyam, going in to his last year of his contract (although additional year on top). Could really do with an injury free season, and force his way back in.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 15:01 - Jun 29 with 4610 viewsIP12

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:52 - Jun 29 by HarryWright

Apparently Jack Marriott is wanted by championship clubs also, another player we let go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40432597

Doesn't surprise me though, we should've tried to develop Marriott ourselves. Same situation to happen with Benyu no doubt.

Moved to Peterborough yesterday on 4 year contract ...(allegedly)
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 15:03 - Jun 29 with 4607 viewsHarryWright

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 15:01 - Jun 29 by IP12

Moved to Peterborough yesterday on 4 year contract ...(allegedly)

Exactly, but Mick wouldn't give him a chance for even a game because fans chanted his name.
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 15:18 - Jun 29 with 4546 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 13:50 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

Agreed he won't and is apparently increasing funding, not decreasing too.

A fairly regular visitor I understand?

Lots of video conferencing I expect!
Town Academy. Money Pit? on 16:16 - Jun 29 with 4460 viewsMullet

Town Academy. Money Pit? on 15:03 - Jun 29 by HarryWright

Exactly, but Mick wouldn't give him a chance for even a game because fans chanted his name.

Mick played him at Burnley in the same end of season dead rubber he blooded Mings.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024