Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So I scrapped my TV license 21:30 - Jul 6 with 18720 viewswkj

I do not use Iplayer, but i do use Amazon Prime Video and Netflix as im finding the quality of those shows much better than most syndicated programs. I do not regret this decision at all, though do the TV License people ever stop hounding you?

I have called them up and told them clearly im not using BBC's online service, nor do i have any kind of non-internet related connections to my tv, so I do not wish for one - yet i still keep getting reminder letters that I have not got one- it is quite harassing now

EDIT: Just for clarity I am not trying to stage an anti license coup, I simply am not paying for a service I do not currently use
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 10:14]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:32 - Jul 6 with 9134 viewsCoastalblue

I thought you still had to have a license or has it changed now? They are a pia though, when I stopped living on my own and moved into a property with a license they threatened me for months.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:35 - Jul 6 with 9117 viewsSarge

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:32 - Jul 6 by Coastalblue

I thought you still had to have a license or has it changed now? They are a pia though, when I stopped living on my own and moved into a property with a license they threatened me for months.

They're awful. They're hard to get a refund out of as well.
So I scrapped my TV license on 21:36 - Jul 6 with 9122 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:32 - Jul 6 by Coastalblue

The rules in simple form are as follows

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

-Watching or recording of live tv on any channel
-Downloading/Watching of anything hosted on Iplayer

I do not do either of these things, i don't think I need one - unless there is some small print somewhere or other
[Post edited 6 Jul 2017 21:37]

Crybaby

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:37 - Jul 6 with 9098 viewsWeWereZombies

Just be careful not to click on any links that people post on here that may have video content from the BBC (not sure if this applies to youtube stuff that is sourced from the BBC). They should post a warning that you need a licence before you start watching but, just in case - and I have resisted the temptation to post such a link below:

( http://nothing to see here)

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:37 - Jul 6 with 9099 viewsfactual_blue

The licence fee collection is now carried by that paragon of the private sector, capita. They are utterly useless.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:39 - Jul 6 with 9086 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:37 - Jul 6 by WeWereZombies

Just be careful not to click on any links that people post on here that may have video content from the BBC (not sure if this applies to youtube stuff that is sourced from the BBC). They should post a warning that you need a licence before you start watching but, just in case - and I have resisted the temptation to post such a link below:

( http://nothing to see here)

This is confusing aswell because the way i understand it, videos attatched to news content isnt part of Iplayer - I do know Iplayer gives telly license warnings before accessing, where as embedded news video does not
[Post edited 6 Jul 2017 21:39]

Crybaby

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:42 - Jul 6 with 9062 viewsfactual_blue

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:36 - Jul 6 by wkj

The rules in simple form are as follows

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

-Watching or recording of live tv on any channel
-Downloading/Watching of anything hosted on Iplayer

I do not do either of these things, i don't think I need one - unless there is some small print somewhere or other
[Post edited 6 Jul 2017 21:37]

Within a couple of years you'll be unable to watch iplayer without a tv licence. They'll tie up the (currently free) BBC ID they keep pushing to a tv licence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So I scrapped my TV license on 22:19 - Jul 6 with 8960 viewsBOjK

Out of interest: Do you ever listen to the BBC's radio stations?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Login to get fewer ads

So I scrapped my TV license on 22:20 - Jul 6 with 8953 viewsColin_Viljoen

Keep an eye outside in case they send the post office van out to check what your viewing!
So I scrapped my TV license on 22:52 - Jul 6 with 8882 viewsitfcinwales

I think in 10 or 15 years time all telly will be online based on demand streaming based loike Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I cant really remeber the last time that i watched live telly that wasnt trash telly like road wars or something like that
So I scrapped my TV license on 23:02 - Jul 6 with 8860 viewscaught-in-limbo

Even if you do watch a bit of BBC stuff, just claim the Tony Rooke position.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:28 - Jul 6 with 8792 viewsStNeotsBlue

I really don't understand some people's hostility towards to the BBC and the licence fee it's the best £15 I spend every month. The quality of the dramas, the news and the radio is fantastic.
So I scrapped my TV license on 23:40 - Jul 6 with 8759 viewsMelford

I didn't have one for years, I resented the scaremongering and threatening tactics they used when I was a student to get us to cough up. I don't mind paying it now, the BBC can fund things no other broadcaster can. Look at the Glastonbury coverage, how many sets they covered and made available for free. Someone has already mentioned Local Radio, we have Radio Suffolk providing commentary for Ipswich games, all over the country there are BBC Local stations bringing match commentary for their local teams free to air. I think it's important to have a broadcaster that is free of commercial pressure. It works out at just over 40p a day, ten pee cheaper than the s*n.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:49 - Jul 6 with 8740 viewsblue_oyster

If you own a TV, you're breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:09 - Jul 7 with 8535 viewsHarry_Palmer

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:49 - Jul 6 by blue_oyster

Not true. You can own a TV without a licence as long as you don't use it to watch live broadcasts or use I-player. So for example, if you are only using it to watch DVDs or you simply own a set but don't ever use it you do not need one.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 8:28]
So I scrapped my TV license on 08:17 - Jul 7 with 8527 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 23:49 - Jul 6 by blue_oyster

Just owning a TV without a license isn't against the rules, The TV License website certainly doesn't state it as such- this is a bit of a myth. My TV is used as a computer anyway, console games, netflix and amazon like i said, and as such isnt considered a TV Service.

As for hostility toward the TV License- I simply just realised I was paying for something i didnt need to be paying for- I live a hop skip and jump from a pub so go there to watch sport, I get all of my news and expert political analysis from TWTD forums, and anything I watch given how hectic my work/travel life is, its going to be on demand. The second this changes is when i will get a telly lisence- but I wont blindly pay for something I do not use.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 8:18]

Crybaby

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:22 - Jul 7 with 8516 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 22:19 - Jul 6 by BOjK

Out of interest: Do you ever listen to the BBC's radio stations?

I do listen to the Radio but it is no longer required to have a license for-

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 8:23]

Crybaby

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:54 - Jul 7 with 8447 viewsblue_oyster

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:09 - Jul 7 by Harry_Palmer

Not true. You can own a TV without a licence as long as you don't use it to watch live broadcasts or use I-player. So for example, if you are only using it to watch DVDs or you simply own a set but don't ever use it you do not need one.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 8:28]

So how does one ascertain if they have a TV and *doesnt* watch it?

Hence the legislation which empowers the BBC to prosecute for 'an offence for anyone to have any TV receiving equipment in their possession'.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:09 - Jul 7 with 8392 viewswkj

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:54 - Jul 7 by blue_oyster

So how does one ascertain if they have a TV and *doesnt* watch it?

Hence the legislation which empowers the BBC to prosecute for 'an offence for anyone to have any TV receiving equipment in their possession'.

I don't know if the rule shave changed over recent times, but the TV License website doesnt say, if you own a tv, you need a license- only if you use your TV (or other devices) for the recording or watching of broadcasted television - not simply for owning a TV.

In the day if you had a TV you'd be using it for watching Telly, but now a days with gaming consoles and internet access, its not as clear cut as all that.

" Is a TV Licence required to own a television set?
You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then you need a TV Licence in order to do so."

Source - http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 9:12]

Crybaby

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:12 - Jul 7 with 8380 viewspeterleeblue

So I scrapped my TV license on 08:17 - Jul 7 by wkj

Just owning a TV without a license isn't against the rules, The TV License website certainly doesn't state it as such- this is a bit of a myth. My TV is used as a computer anyway, console games, netflix and amazon like i said, and as such isnt considered a TV Service.

As for hostility toward the TV License- I simply just realised I was paying for something i didnt need to be paying for- I live a hop skip and jump from a pub so go there to watch sport, I get all of my news and expert political analysis from TWTD forums, and anything I watch given how hectic my work/travel life is, its going to be on demand. The second this changes is when i will get a telly lisence- but I wont blindly pay for something I do not use.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 8:18]

"I get all of my news and expert political analysis from TWTD forums!
Comedy Gold!!
So I scrapped my TV license on 09:13 - Jul 7 with 8371 viewsStokieBlue

So I scrapped my TV license on 21:42 - Jul 6 by factual_blue

Within a couple of years you'll be unable to watch iplayer without a tv licence. They'll tie up the (currently free) BBC ID they keep pushing to a tv licence.

Rightly so.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:21 - Jul 7 with 8357 viewsitfcjoe

You just have to ignore them, we were hounded when building my house - told them twice not living there, and sent them notification from the council which is what they asked for and it still didn't stop.

It's basically just spam, wish I hadn't bothered trying to be helpful

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:22 - Jul 7 with 8351 viewsitfcjoe

So I scrapped my TV license on 22:52 - Jul 6 by itfcinwales

I think in 10 or 15 years time all telly will be online based on demand streaming based loike Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I cant really remeber the last time that i watched live telly that wasnt trash telly like road wars or something like that

It's why sport is so highly sought after and why TV deals for football, American sports, cricket etc keep going up and up - it's the only thing people sit down to watch live now.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:30 - Jul 7 with 8333 viewsBergholtBru

The sooner the BBC is scrapped the better.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

on 09:33 - Jul 7 with 8324 views_

So I scrapped my TV license on 09:30 - Jul 7 by BergholtBru

The sooner the BBC is scrapped the better.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024