Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FourFourTwo Article 23:19 - Jul 7 with 1666 viewsdingus

Worth a read. Includes a few paragraphs on Muhren and Thijssen.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/remembering-british-footballs-first-foreign
FourFourTwo Article on 23:29 - Jul 7 with 1651 viewsgtsb1966

I get annoyed that when it comes to foreign players everyone seems to think that Ardiles and Villa were the best of that era . Take that Villa cup final goal out of the equation and they wouldn't be talked about half as much. Muhren and Thijssen were unbelievable. The best and I feel privileged to have seen nearly all their games together.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2017 0:00]
FourFourTwo Article on 10:56 - Jul 8 with 1517 viewsconnorscontract

FourFourTwo Article on 23:29 - Jul 7 by gtsb1966

I get annoyed that when it comes to foreign players everyone seems to think that Ardiles and Villa were the best of that era . Take that Villa cup final goal out of the equation and they wouldn't be talked about half as much. Muhren and Thijssen were unbelievable. The best and I feel privileged to have seen nearly all their games together.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2017 0:00]

Ardiles and Villa came over first, and were World Cup winners. They got to the FA Cup Final in an era when there weren't many live matches on tv, but the Final was watched by half the population. Ricky scored a very good goal. Ardiles did an interview after the match. And they had a single in the charts.

So they made a popular culture impact far greater than Muhren and Thijssen, who simply made Town one of the best two or three teams in Europe by 1981. They'll always get more publicity and recognition than Muhren and Thijssen. When Ossie dies, it will be on the news. When Arnie and Frans pop their clogs*, it probably won't.

* BOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!
FourFourTwo Article on 14:57 - Jul 8 with 1398 viewsWeWereZombies

Imagine how much more we would have disliked the Nodge of the North if Maradonna had signed for them!

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024