Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do sweet potatoes form? 08:36 - Jul 9 with 2696 viewsearlsgreenblue

The boss has planted sweet potatoes in the greenhouse & growing well, well at least the plant is, no sign yet of the edible bit yet, despite limited research we cannot seem to find exactly how they form, hopefully the fountains of knowledge on here can advise. Don't let me down boys!
How do sweet potatoes form? on 08:46 - Jul 9 with 2671 viewsWD19

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Growing+sweet+potatoes
How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:28 - Jul 9 with 2587 viewsgerard1947

How do sweet potatoes form? on 08:46 - Jul 9 by WD19

I tried to grow some last year.

They grow from the slips of a previous crop, slips are the under ground runners on which the sweet potatoes grew. If grown outside here they need a hot summer to produce well. They look nothing like our spuds when growing. They have lots of bushy growth, with dark green slightly glossy leaves. The flowers are pretty, bright blue and quite large. It looks like a garden flower really.

It was an interesting experiment, the crop were tasty but very small. This years experiment is Pink Jumbo Bananna Squash. They are supposed to be about a metre long, bananna shaped and good to eat. They are forming on the plants already looking ok but with lots of growing to do.
How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:31 - Jul 9 with 2579 viewsDubtractor

How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:28 - Jul 9 by gerard1947

They grow from the slips of a previous crop, slips are the under ground runners on which the sweet potatoes grew. If grown outside here they need a hot summer to produce well. They look nothing like our spuds when growing. They have lots of bushy growth, with dark green slightly glossy leaves. The flowers are pretty, bright blue and quite large. It looks like a garden flower really.

It was an interesting experiment, the crop were tasty but very small. This years experiment is Pink Jumbo Bananna Squash. They are supposed to be about a metre long, bananna shaped and good to eat. They are forming on the plants already looking ok but with lots of growing to do.

My, somewhat less exotic, experiment this year was elephant garlic. A resounding success!

Re squashes I never need to plant any from seed, there are always loads of seeds (butternut etc) in the garden compost bin which don't get fully composted, so then self seed in the veg patch. most get pulled out, but then I'll move a couple to the appropriate spot and hey presto.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How do sweet potatoes form? on 14:46 - Jul 9 with 2512 viewsgerard1947

How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:31 - Jul 9 by Dubtractor

My, somewhat less exotic, experiment this year was elephant garlic. A resounding success!

Re squashes I never need to plant any from seed, there are always loads of seeds (butternut etc) in the garden compost bin which don't get fully composted, so then self seed in the veg patch. most get pulled out, but then I'll move a couple to the appropriate spot and hey presto.

Elephant garlic is great, it's a lot milder, an elephant clove is about the same strength as an ordinary one despite its size.

My veggie plot is about quarter acre, daftly I plant most of it so end up with a big surplus even after supplying family and friends. I grow pretty much everything but concentrate on things easy to give away, things like sweetcorn, new potatoes, beans, butternut squash, fruit etc.

I try to beat my pumpkin record every year, 12.5 stone is my best which is a tiddler when compared with what some people grow.
How do sweet potatoes form? on 16:50 - Jul 9 with 2454 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:31 - Jul 9 by Dubtractor

Elephant garlic really is top draw
How do sweet potatoes form? on 08:48 - Jul 10 with 2357 viewsipswich78

How do sweet potatoes form? on 11:28 - Jul 9 by gerard1947

They look nothing like our spuds as it's not actually a potato despite it's name. Very few people seem to know that. I was surprised when I found out a few years back.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

How do sweet potatoes form? on 09:46 - Jul 10 with 2335 viewsgerard1947

How do sweet potatoes form? on 08:48 - Jul 10 by ipswich78

They look nothing like our spuds as it's not actually a potato despite it's name. Very few people seem to know that. I was surprised when I found out a few years back.

A friend of mine comes from the Solomon Islands where her family are farmers. Sweet potatoes are a principle crop there. She told me how they would harvest the crop keeping the slips which they would take to another field to replant straight away.

Over here if you want to use the old slips they are best kept in dryish compost over winter. It's easier to start them in a pot and plant out when a small plant. To give them the best chance put a sheet of black weed fabric down and cut a hole for your plant. It helps to keep the soil around the plant as warm as possible.
How do sweet potatoes form? on 09:56 - Jul 10 with 2325 viewsSwansea_Blue

How do sweet potatoes form? on 08:46 - Jul 9 by WD19

Yeah, like google knows more than the combined brainpower on TWTD!

Er, to the OP, have you tried switching it off and then on again? That normally sorts out most things

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024