Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Order 23:35 - Jul 9 with 3230 viewsMelford

I'm about halfway through Hooky's book about his time in New Order. Superb read. Got this after reading the first bit of it

Nice big art book of all the Factory/New Order/Peter Saville design.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

New Order on 23:42 - Jul 9 with 3210 viewsStNeotsBlue

My favourite New Order track.
New Order on 05:12 - Jul 10 with 3159 viewsBlueastheycome

I have just finished Bernard Sumners autobiography and I learnt a few things.

Ian Curtis was actually up for the craic and one of the lads.. he just had his head scrambled by two birds.

Also, New Orders distinct sound came about because they spent a lot of time in New York clubs in the early 80's and Sumner was a visionary to bring the electronic sound equipment they used over to the U.K

Sumner and Hook have fallen out, possibly because Hook felt his bass position undermined by all the electronic equipment used in New Order over the years.

And more surprisingly... 'I learnt getting away with it' was a track by Sumner and Marr in a band called Electronica.. not by New order. I could have put my life on the fact it was a new order song! (I'm 25 so wasn't around at the time)

And edit: when he talks about the Hacienda you get the impression that he though t it was abit overrated. But then again you probably would if it was costing you £££'s to run with very little profit over years and years.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 8:23]
New Order on 06:54 - Jul 10 with 3141 viewsJohnny_Boy

New Order on 05:12 - Jul 10 by Blueastheycome

I have just finished Bernard Sumners autobiography and I learnt a few things.

Ian Curtis was actually up for the craic and one of the lads.. he just had his head scrambled by two birds.

Also, New Orders distinct sound came about because they spent a lot of time in New York clubs in the early 80's and Sumner was a visionary to bring the electronic sound equipment they used over to the U.K

Sumner and Hook have fallen out, possibly because Hook felt his bass position undermined by all the electronic equipment used in New Order over the years.

And more surprisingly... 'I learnt getting away with it' was a track by Sumner and Marr in a band called Electronica.. not by New order. I could have put my life on the fact it was a new order song! (I'm 25 so wasn't around at the time)

And edit: when he talks about the Hacienda you get the impression that he though t it was abit overrated. But then again you probably would if it was costing you £££'s to run with very little profit over years and years.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 8:23]

Band were called Electronic. Additional vocals were from Neil Tennant, of the Pet Shop Boys.
New Order on 10:46 - Jul 10 with 3081 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Great book. I really enjoyed it. If you are into the 80s indie scene, Repossessed by Julian Cope is worth a read. How that guy is still alive is beyond me!!

Poll: Our final position

New Order on 12:40 - Jul 10 with 3052 viewsFenboyBlue

New Order on 10:46 - Jul 10 by southnorfolkblue

Great book. I really enjoyed it. If you are into the 80s indie scene, Repossessed by Julian Cope is worth a read. How that guy is still alive is beyond me!!

Hooky's book really does lift the lid on what was going on in New Order. It's worthy of (another) film - 48 hour party people ?

I'd say Cope's first book Head On is even better than Repossessed, being about the Teardrop Explodes days as opposed to his solo days.
New Order on 13:24 - Jul 10 with 3035 viewssoupytwist

I rewatched The Perfect Kiss video the other day. I didn't know it was directed by the late Jonathan Demme and it is a brilliant piece of filming.

I've read the Hooky Hacienda book, not sure how he managed to remember all that detail. A good friend of mine was the commissioning editor at the publishers and signed the deal to do the books. I gave him a few questions to ask when he had his first meeting with Hooky before he decided which publisher to go with. I expect the choice came down to money but I like to think I helped swing it.

I will read the Hooky New Order book at some point, I just don't want to read about how much of a bellend he now thinks Sumner is.

Hopefully the Factory exhibition that's on in Manchester at the moment will make its way to other parts of the country.
New Order on 15:44 - Jul 10 with 3003 viewssouthnorfolkblue

New Order on 12:40 - Jul 10 by FenboyBlue

Hooky's book really does lift the lid on what was going on in New Order. It's worthy of (another) film - 48 hour party people ?

I'd say Cope's first book Head On is even better than Repossessed, being about the Teardrop Explodes days as opposed to his solo days.

I agree with you. My copy of Repossessed actually contains both books, so I was treating them as me, but as you say the Teardrop stuff is brilliant.

Poll: Our final position

New Order on 21:31 - Jul 10 with 2969 viewsMelford

New Order on 12:40 - Jul 10 by FenboyBlue

Both of Cope's books are superb. I read them both in about 3 sittings. Other books in the same vein I would recommend would be Dirt by Motley Crue, not my type of band but one hell of a tale of excess.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

New Order on 05:37 - Jul 11 with 2934 viewsJohnny_Boy

New Order on 13:24 - Jul 10 by soupytwist

I rewatched The Perfect Kiss video the other day. I didn't know it was directed by the late Jonathan Demme and it is a brilliant piece of filming.

I've read the Hooky Hacienda book, not sure how he managed to remember all that detail. A good friend of mine was the commissioning editor at the publishers and signed the deal to do the books. I gave him a few questions to ask when he had his first meeting with Hooky before he decided which publisher to go with. I expect the choice came down to money but I like to think I helped swing it.

I will read the Hooky New Order book at some point, I just don't want to read about how much of a bellend he now thinks Sumner is.

Hopefully the Factory exhibition that's on in Manchester at the moment will make its way to other parts of the country.

I remember going to visit a Peter Saville exhibition in London, around 2003/4.
Had LOADS of original artwork, sketches, test pressings, textile samples etc etc of everything he'd done whilst with Factory Records.

Posters, albums, singles, music videos, even the blueprints for the Hacienda - which he lavishly designed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024