Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long will May last? 11:49 - Jul 10 with 10469 viewswkj

I am not really approaching this from a Labour v Tory stand point, but rather just looking at May as the PM. Given how things are currently going I honestly don't think May is going to survive the brexit talks as PM. There have been a number of times Mrs May had done the exact opposite to what she said prior, and barely came out credible after here snap election gaffe

I highly doubt that many of the brexit voters will get anything near what they expected by the time the conservatives have wheeled and dealed to suit their corporate key supporters, and Mrs May will soon be expected to put her money where her mouth is, and ultimately fail to do so. I feel May's closeness with Donald Trump may ultimately lead to a difficult situation, as more time goes by the more and more shady Trump appears, and what will Mrs May do when the leaders of G20 countries look her way should Trumps vanity project come crashing down in flames?

Although I voted Labour this time, I have been a life long Tory voter- and wether or not Corbyn is or isn't for you- I trusted the Labour party to negotiate our separation from the EU with the citizen's interests in mind- It's not that i even lack trust in the Tories as much as it is I lack trust in May.

Rant over, on with the rest of the newspapers before lunch for me
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 11:51]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How long will May last? on 11:50 - Jul 10 with 5166 viewshype313

If there was anyone credible in the Tory party that could take over then she would be gone, but there isn't.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How long will May last? on 11:51 - Jul 10 with 5148 viewswkj

How long will May last? on 11:50 - Jul 10 by hype313

If there was anyone credible in the Tory party that could take over then she would be gone, but there isn't.

Incorrect, Larry the cat

Crybaby

How long will May last? on 11:53 - Jul 10 with 5142 viewsITFC_Forever

I thought she would have been gone by now if she was going to go any time soon...... she's amazingly somehow survived her awful decision to hold the general election and her awful performance in it, so I think she's now entrenched herself in for the long haul.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How long will May last? on 11:57 - Jul 10 with 5118 viewsBOjK

How long will May last? on 11:53 - Jul 10 by ITFC_Forever

I thought she would have been gone by now if she was going to go any time soon...... she's amazingly somehow survived her awful decision to hold the general election and her awful performance in it, so I think she's now entrenched herself in for the long haul.

I took that view. She survived the initial period of post-election danger and expected some degree of normality to return. But I don't think it has. She seems to me to be picking battles she doesn't need to fight over the EU (ECJ, citizens rights) and remain/soft-brexit Tories can see this. Even many on the Tory right can see it.

I'm increasingly coming round to the view that David Davis would have a better chance at persuading his party that the compromises we need to make to get a reasonable deal are acceptable. He clearly is of this view too, hence all the briefings in the papers from his "supporters".

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

How long will May last? on 11:58 - Jul 10 with 5114 viewsReuser_is_God

31 days

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How long will May last? on 12:01 - Jul 10 with 5096 viewschicoazul

How long will May last? on 11:57 - Jul 10 by BOjK

I took that view. She survived the initial period of post-election danger and expected some degree of normality to return. But I don't think it has. She seems to me to be picking battles she doesn't need to fight over the EU (ECJ, citizens rights) and remain/soft-brexit Tories can see this. Even many on the Tory right can see it.

I'm increasingly coming round to the view that David Davis would have a better chance at persuading his party that the compromises we need to make to get a reasonable deal are acceptable. He clearly is of this view too, hence all the briefings in the papers from his "supporters".

Do you too think that Davies wakes up in the morning looks in the mirror and says to himself, What have I done?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How long will May last? on 12:06 - Jul 10 with 5075 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think only a small proportion of Brexiteers wanted a hard brexit.

My Dad is a brexiteer, almost a stereotypical one to be honest. (Conservative voter, pensioner, daily mail reader) But even he said he was concerned that May was going for a Brexit that was too hard.

I dont think a softer brexit would do her too much harm.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How long will May last? on 12:08 - Jul 10 with 5068 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How long will May last? on 11:57 - Jul 10 by BOjK

She seems to be the worst strategist ever.

Called an election when she clearly shouldnt have. Produced a terrible manifesto, and communicated it very badly.

....even when she stayed in power, she doesnt take any 'easy wins'. She could easily take a little bit of heat out of the situation by suggesting a softer position on public sector pay etc.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

How long will May last? on 12:12 - Jul 10 with 5047 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How long will May last? on 11:50 - Jul 10 by hype313

I think Chris Grayling speaks well...... he even directly answers questions that are put to him! ;-)

Of all the ministers, the one I would pick from a strategic point of view would be;

Priti Patel!

....doesnt look typical tory, she is female, young and BME. Would be looked upon as a modern choice.

How long will May last? on 12:12 - Jul 10 with 5044 viewshype313

How long will May last? on 12:08 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

She seems to be the worst strategist ever.

Called an election when she clearly shouldnt have. Produced a terrible manifesto, and communicated it very badly.

....even when she stayed in power, she doesnt take any 'easy wins'. She could easily take a little bit of heat out of the situation by suggesting a softer position on public sector pay etc.

I don't think she shouldn't have called an election, the polls were giving her leads never seen before, it's how she made the biggest political cock up in history with the terrible execution of the manifesto and people having visibility of her dry, bland, dithery persona.

How long will May last? on 12:13 - Jul 10 with 5042 viewsNo9

How long will May last? on 12:06 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think only a small proportion of Brexiteers wanted a hard brexit.

My Dad is a brexiteer, almost a stereotypical one to be honest. (Conservative voter, pensioner, daily mail reader) But even he said he was concerned that May was going for a Brexit that was too hard.

I dont think a softer brexit would do her too much harm.

"I dont think a softer brexit would do her too much harm."

There are far too many 'right wingers' who want a complete break for her to do anything other than what they want.

She stupidly, at their insistence not doubt, drew some red lines which they will not let her renege on.

But the reality is that very dew people -even 'pro's like Hannan actually understood what an out vote would really mean. Out, as the EU have been saying since Mr Camerons 2013 announcement, mean OUT. There is no half way house.
How long will May last? on 12:15 - Jul 10 with 5030 viewsElderGrizzly

The only reason she is still there, is the Tories know kicking her out could lead to an early election letting in Corbyn.

Ultimately they want to stay in power and they'll do whatever that takes to protect it.

Assuming the Labour 'surge' has died down by the end of the year, i'm sure they will move her on. I've no idea who would replace her though!
How long will May last? on 12:20 - Jul 10 with 5007 viewsNo9

How long will May last? on 12:12 - Jul 10 by hype313

I don't think she shouldn't have called an election, the polls were giving her leads never seen before, it's how she made the biggest political cock up in history with the terrible execution of the manifesto and people having visibility of her dry, bland, dithery persona.

Having seen what a terrioble HS she was & just how bad her judgement is it raises a number of questions about the sanity within the tories if they didn't think this would become an issue sooner rather than later
How long will May last? on 12:22 - Jul 10 with 4995 viewshype313

How long will May last? on 12:20 - Jul 10 by No9

Having seen what a terrioble HS she was & just how bad her judgement is it raises a number of questions about the sanity within the tories if they didn't think this would become an issue sooner rather than later

Well lets be honest, she was default PM due to the shambles of what was going on between Gove and Boris. If they hadn't had turned it into a school playground fight, she would be in the shadows.

How long will May last? on 12:24 - Jul 10 with 4992 viewswkj

How long will May last? on 12:20 - Jul 10 by No9

This is the thing, I supported her until the election, and the moment she called it, I shifted- She lacked vision and judgement by doing so- and it lends itself to the question; How often is she going to lack vision and judgement when negotiating our country's future

Crybaby

How long will May last? on 12:24 - Jul 10 with 4988 viewsbaxterbasics

It's hard to say at this point. You would think she is on really dodgy ground given how the past 6 weeks have gone, but as people are pointing out there is no appetite among the party to trigger a leadership election, which would most likely lead to yet another GE.

The only way I see her going in the next two years is if she throws in the towel after deciding it's all got too difficult.

I would like to see either Sajid Javid or Priti Patel take her place eventually.

I would also counter that it wasn't a bad decision to call the election - with the polls the way they were it was a good call. It was the campaign itself that was ballsed up.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

How long will May last? on 12:27 - Jul 10 with 4965 viewswkj

How long will May last? on 12:24 - Jul 10 by baxterbasics

It's hard to say at this point. You would think she is on really dodgy ground given how the past 6 weeks have gone, but as people are pointing out there is no appetite among the party to trigger a leadership election, which would most likely lead to yet another GE.

The only way I see her going in the next two years is if she throws in the towel after deciding it's all got too difficult.

I would like to see either Sajid Javid or Priti Patel take her place eventually.

I would also counter that it wasn't a bad decision to call the election - with the polls the way they were it was a good call. It was the campaign itself that was ballsed up.

See I do think it was an error because of people like myself who didn't appreciate the conservatives trying to deal the coup de grace on the Labour party for no reason that was of any benefit to the citizen body

The manifesto balls up just added more and more validity behind my decision to vote Labour
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 12:31]

Crybaby

How long will May last? on 12:34 - Jul 10 with 4934 viewsbaxterbasics

How long will May last? on 12:27 - Jul 10 by wkj

See I do think it was an error because of people like myself who didn't appreciate the conservatives trying to deal the coup de grace on the Labour party for no reason that was of any benefit to the citizen body

The manifesto balls up just added more and more validity behind my decision to vote Labour
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 12:31]

There were two genuinely valid arguments for the election being worthwhile from a national perspective. 1) A stronger government (ie one with a bigger majority) would have firmer footing in negotiating Brexit, and a mandate to get on with things as it sees fit. Then 2) The timing of the next election would otherwise have been awkward as it would be right at the conclusion of the Brexit negotiations, which would have been an unwelcome distraction at a crucial time.

Of course the fact that it appeared a happy political convenience for the party would also have been on voters minds.

zip

How long will May last? on 12:37 - Jul 10 with 4915 viewsStokieBlue

Why is she pulling out of EUROTOM?

Absolute madness to not be involved in the development of ITER. If they can get it working it solves all the worlds energy problems with very few drawbacks.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How long will May last? on 12:40 - Jul 10 with 4901 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How long will May last? on 12:12 - Jul 10 by hype313

I thought at the time she would struggle to increase her majority, and so it proved.

Youre right though, her campaign was rubbish!!

How long will May last? on 12:40 - Jul 10 with 4901 viewsNo9

How long will May last? on 12:24 - Jul 10 by baxterbasics

"I would like to see either Sajid Javid or Priti Patel take her place eventually."

That is madness
How long will May last? on 12:42 - Jul 10 with 4888 viewsbaxterbasics

How long will May last? on 12:37 - Jul 10 by StokieBlue

Why is she pulling out of EUROTOM?

Absolute madness to not be involved in the development of ITER. If they can get it working it solves all the worlds energy problems with very few drawbacks.

SB

I reckon we'll still be inolved in that somehow regardless of how 'hard' the rest of Brexit is.

zip

How long will May last? on 12:43 - Jul 10 with 4877 viewsStokieBlue

How long will May last? on 12:42 - Jul 10 by baxterbasics

I reckon we'll still be inolved in that somehow regardless of how 'hard' the rest of Brexit is.

Doesn't sound like it from today's news - withdrawal from EUROTOM at the same time as EU.

More muppetry from May.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How long will May last? on 12:45 - Jul 10 with 4872 viewsNo9

How long will May last? on 12:42 - Jul 10 by baxterbasics

As the EU have said many times = LEAVE means LEAVE

How many times does it have to be spelt out?
How long will May last? on 12:47 - Jul 10 with 4859 viewsericclacton

How long will May last? on 12:13 - Jul 10 by No9

"I dont think a softer brexit would do her too much harm."

There are far too many 'right wingers' who want a complete break for her to do anything other than what they want.

She stupidly, at their insistence not doubt, drew some red lines which they will not let her renege on.

But the reality is that very dew people -even 'pro's like Hannan actually understood what an out vote would really mean. Out, as the EU have been saying since Mr Camerons 2013 announcement, mean OUT. There is no half way house.

Come in No9 your time is up!!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024