Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DIYers + Bodgers Unite 23:02 - Jul 12 with 1327 viewsWicklowBlue

Following on from Geoff's laptop woes thread (and to move on from various food related sagas) Growing up with a family member who was a mechanic and a "have a go merchant", I've inherited the spirit of researching to see can I fix things myself.

I'd be interested in hearing about everyone's best DIY accomplishments.

To start off here are the highlights of my projects to date (as based in Ireland prices in Euro apologies):

- Fiat Punto Head Gasket: €40 for gasket and bolts + €20 to skim the head. 1.5 days later 4 pots working instead of 3.

- Rover 45 Diesel timing belt/fuel pump belt etc: €150 euro replaced in 2 degrees c in December with multiple layers of clothing and swear words.

- Alfa 147 2 litre twinspark timing belt/balance belt + water pump: €200 euro and a pig of a job, borrowed the cam locks off a mate.

- Central Heating PRV and expansion vessel. Failed in January with the Missus and little one turning blue. €30

- Potterton Boiler PCB - Allegedly (Irish Gas Appliance law) might have been quoted €300 euro to replace the pcb. Have heard that a 30 sec solder job fixed the dry joint.

No doubt the rest of you can eclipse these...

[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 23:11]
DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:12 - Jul 12 with 1303 viewsGuthrum

I built my own bed.

Endlessly "making things look right" as part of my work (from repairing artex and decorative cornicing to restoring architraves and skirting boards). Sash windows a speciality. Also made various tools (e.g. a bed with sliding fence for a circular saw).

Used to do a lot of car repairs (in the days before everything was sealed and electronic).

Have built numerous computers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:19 - Jul 12 with 1285 viewsWicklowBlue

DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:12 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

I built my own bed.

Endlessly "making things look right" as part of my work (from repairing artex and decorative cornicing to restoring architraves and skirting boards). Sash windows a speciality. Also made various tools (e.g. a bed with sliding fence for a circular saw).

Used to do a lot of car repairs (in the days before everything was sealed and electronic).

Have built numerous computers.

Nice one well played!

That reminds me of last year when a neighbour asked me to assemble a flat pack bed they bought.

Took me 2.5 hours as none of the drillings lined up! Buy Ikea I say.
DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:27 - Jul 12 with 1278 viewsGuthrum

DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:19 - Jul 12 by WicklowBlue

Nice one well played!

That reminds me of last year when a neighbour asked me to assemble a flat pack bed they bought.

Took me 2.5 hours as none of the drillings lined up! Buy Ikea I say.

Gripfill is the answer!

I used to know a genuine bodger - someone who makes things from green (unseasoned) timber out in the woods.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:42 - Jul 12 with 1267 viewsWicklowBlue

DIYers + Bodgers Unite on 23:27 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

Gripfill is the answer!

I used to know a genuine bodger - someone who makes things from green (unseasoned) timber out in the woods.

It was the worst flat pack assembly I had ever seen and was volunteered by the missus to help out.

The double bed was purchased from a local Irish firm and obviously whoever created the nightmare had consumed 20 of Arthur's finest the night before.

Thought it would be an easy 30 mins job....had to bring in Mr Bosch to right the wrongs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024