Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bodvarsson... 13:00 - Jul 13 with 7994 viewsITFCBlues

Is he the answer?

We've already got three strikers who aren't really out and out goal scorers....

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Bodvarsson... on 13:03 - Jul 13 with 6641 viewsbluesym

sounds like the Icelandic version of Conor Sammon

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Bodvarsson... on 13:04 - Jul 13 with 6634 viewsitfcjoe

I think he'd be a good addition, both him and Garner are handfuls and whilst not out and out goalscorers I'm not sure a team of our style can afford to carry someone just to do that - it has to be a team effor and responsibility and with Adeyemi, Huws and Celina in the midfield there is goals there and we have to hope the strikers hit a bit of form between them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bodvarsson... on 13:07 - Jul 13 with 6595 viewsReuser_is_God

An out & out goal scorer doesn't suit us, we need strikers to be more than just finishers. Hence why we're shipping Pitman out.

Not seen enough of Bodvarsson to be able to comment on whether he'd be a good signing or not really.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Bodvarsson... on 13:08 - Jul 13 with 6596 viewsITFCBlues

Bodvarsson... on 13:04 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I think he'd be a good addition, both him and Garner are handfuls and whilst not out and out goalscorers I'm not sure a team of our style can afford to carry someone just to do that - it has to be a team effor and responsibility and with Adeyemi, Huws and Celina in the midfield there is goals there and we have to hope the strikers hit a bit of form between them

But with a striker like Garner already here....Do we need another similar style striker?

What's really lacking for me at present is someone who's going to score 15+ goals....I don't see any of the strikers we've got or Bodvarsson being able to do that...Yes there is potentially more goals in the midfield but that's not likely to be enough.

Bodvarsson... on 13:09 - Jul 13 with 6571 viewsReuser_is_God

Bodvarsson... on 13:08 - Jul 13 by ITFCBlues

But with a striker like Garner already here....Do we need another similar style striker?

What's really lacking for me at present is someone who's going to score 15+ goals....I don't see any of the strikers we've got or Bodvarsson being able to do that...Yes there is potentially more goals in the midfield but that's not likely to be enough.

Sears & McGoldrick, with the right service, have both proven they could score 15 goals in a season.

Evans out

Bodvarsson... on 13:10 - Jul 13 with 6560 viewsITFCBlues

Bodvarsson... on 13:07 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

An out & out goal scorer doesn't suit us, we need strikers to be more than just finishers. Hence why we're shipping Pitman out.

Not seen enough of Bodvarsson to be able to comment on whether he'd be a good signing or not really.

But we've already got a hard working in your face striker in Garner & for all this talk about Pitman being a "finisher" he's never really done it at Championship level. A lot of his goals at Bmouth were actually pens & his overall game is fairly limited in all honesty...

Bodvarsson... on 13:12 - Jul 13 with 6552 viewsitfcjoe

Bodvarsson... on 13:08 - Jul 13 by ITFCBlues

He plays out wide also and was used there a lot it seems and that is one of our weaker areas.

Key, as always, is getting McG fit and firing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bodvarsson... on 13:14 - Jul 13 with 6522 viewsITFCBlues

Bodvarsson... on 13:09 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

Sears & McGoldrick, with the right service, have both proven they could score 15 goals in a season.

Have they? I must have missed that!

Login to get fewer ads

Bodvarsson... on 13:15 - Jul 13 with 6512 viewsReuser_is_God

Bodvarsson... on 13:14 - Jul 13 by ITFCBlues

Have they? I must have missed that!

13/14 McGoldrick scored 16 by March

14/15 Sears would've scored over 15 for us & Col U combined

15/16 If Mick hadn't moved Sears out wide he'd have scored 15+

Evans out

Bodvarsson... on 13:16 - Jul 13 with 6505 viewsWickets

I don't think we can expect too much more if we end up with Sears McGoldrick Garner and Bodvarsson as strikers to choose from. Can we?
Bodvarsson... on 13:21 - Jul 13 with 6466 viewsITFC_RM

He's as close to Murphy as we are going to get. Things were going well when we had Murphy here, so the answer is without doubt YES!

Poll: Will MM spend money this summer?

Bodvarsson... on 13:28 - Jul 13 with 6406 viewswrightsrightglove

This. I think Sears could come into his own this season if played alongside Garner.
Bodvarsson... on 13:34 - Jul 13 with 6364 viewsDarth_Koont

What is an out-and out goalscorer anyway? Murphy wasn't. And certainly wasn't before he came to us. Neither was/is Chris Wood.

But those are both players we know who can be league top scorer in the right team.

With Sears, Garner and McGoldrick each able to score in the double digits over a season, who knows what could happen if they are in the right team at the right time? Same for Bodvarsson who's still a relatively unknown quantity at this level.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bodvarsson... on 13:35 - Jul 13 with 6356 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bodvarsson... on 13:45 - Jul 13 with 6296 viewsnshearman1

Bodvarsson... on 13:34 - Jul 13 by Darth_Koont

What is an out-and out goalscorer anyway? Murphy wasn't. And certainly wasn't before he came to us. Neither was/is Chris Wood.

But those are both players we know who can be league top scorer in the right team.

With Sears, Garner and McGoldrick each able to score in the double digits over a season, who knows what could happen if they are in the right team at the right time? Same for Bodvarsson who's still a relatively unknown quantity at this level.

Irrespective of this, on stats alone we appear to be swapping a striker who started 14 times with 20 sub appearances and scored 4 goals for a guy who started 24 games and had 24 sub appearances and scored three goals. So apart from him being 4 years younger and being able to play in two positions, there's not much to choose between them. I can't get excited about this one.
Bodvarsson... on 13:48 - Jul 13 with 6267 viewsDarth_Koont

Bodvarsson... on 13:45 - Jul 13 by nshearman1

Irrespective of this, on stats alone we appear to be swapping a striker who started 14 times with 20 sub appearances and scored 4 goals for a guy who started 24 games and had 24 sub appearances and scored three goals. So apart from him being 4 years younger and being able to play in two positions, there's not much to choose between them. I can't get excited about this one.

But a dramatically different style of player for the team. We also now have central midfielders who can score goals - freeing up space and pulling the backline out of shape should pay dividends but that wasn't really part of Pitman's game.

Bodvarsson... on 13:53 - Jul 13 with 6228 viewsPilgrimblue

Bodvarsson... on 13:34 - Jul 13 by Darth_Koont

It's all irrelevant until we know how MM is going to set up his team and what style they'll be playing. If he continues to hoof none of our forwards are going to see much of the ball so I doubt any will reach double figures!
Passing isn't encouraged and so Lawrence only scored so many because he was prepared to take on defenders and shoot on sight. So I can't see this guy doing the same so unless he develops in the same way as Murphy.
Garner probably will do best but I still feel we need a striker that is capable of competing with tall defenders.
Bodvarsson... on 14:00 - Jul 13 with 6202 viewsnshearman1

Bodvarsson... on 13:53 - Jul 13 by Pilgrimblue

It's all irrelevant until we know how MM is going to set up his team and what style they'll be playing. If he continues to hoof none of our forwards are going to see much of the ball so I doubt any will reach double figures!
Passing isn't encouraged and so Lawrence only scored so many because he was prepared to take on defenders and shoot on sight. So I can't see this guy doing the same so unless he develops in the same way as Murphy.
Garner probably will do best but I still feel we need a striker that is capable of competing with tall defenders.

Agree with all of this. Regarding a previous post saying Chris Wood is not an out-and-out striker, did he not get 30 goals last season and was short-listed for Championship Player Of The Season? Mick is obviously trying to get more ball-playing players in (with elbows!), but if that method fails and he has to resort to his preferred hoofball, I can't see who will fulfil the Murphy role right now.
Bodvarsson... on 14:09 - Jul 13 with 6167 viewsDarth_Koont

Bodvarsson... on 14:00 - Jul 13 by nshearman1

Agree with all of this. Regarding a previous post saying Chris Wood is not an out-and-out striker, did he not get 30 goals last season and was short-listed for Championship Player Of The Season? Mick is obviously trying to get more ball-playing players in (with elbows!), but if that method fails and he has to resort to his preferred hoofball, I can't see who will fulfil the Murphy role right now.

Wood is an out-and-out striker but the term used was goalscorer.

My point being that strikers score goals in the right team. Even players like Rhodes are pretty toothless when the setup isn't right.

Bodvarsson... on 15:50 - Jul 13 with 6021 viewsITFC_RM

Bodvarsson... on 13:45 - Jul 13 by nshearman1

but if Pitman isn't scoring he offers very little.

JDB can hold the ball up and is alright in the air. he is a player other strikers can play off.

Poll: Will MM spend money this summer?

Bodvarsson... on 18:01 - Jul 13 with 5892 viewshadleighboyblue

we won't get a full injury free season out of McColdrick and Sears is unlikely to be first choice striker , more likely to be used from the bench
Bodvarsson... on 18:23 - Jul 13 with 5838 viewsPilgrimblue

Bodvarsson... on 13:12 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

He plays out wide also and was used there a lot it seems and that is one of our weaker areas.

Key, as always, is getting McG fit and firing

Fine but who's going to take advantage of his crosses!

McG won't be fit nor firing IMO. He's most unlikely to be less injury prone so don't expect him to figure more than half the season. His finishing was dreadful last season as he tries tap ins that are too easily dealt with so penalties apart I doubt he'll score more than 6.
Should have sold him two years ago.
That leaves us with Garner in middle with 433 system that MM prefers. Just hope the defense is tighter to secure a draw. Mid table at best if we're lucky!
Bodvarsson... on 18:35 - Jul 13 with 5814 viewsKeaneish

My hope is that Sears gets a proper run of uninterrupted games up front and becomes our main striker and its McGoldrick, Garner and maybe Bodvarsson who supplement him. Signs look good in pre-seoson so far.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Bodvarsson... on 19:29 - Jul 13 with 5718 viewsstrikalite

We have a habit of signing strikers who are out of form and have been for a while, someone inform is out of our reach now so we're gambling on players who we hope can suddenly find some form....you'd be surprised what a goal or two can do for confidence though..

It's so easy to pick up an injury or two, imagine if Garner hobbles off with an ankle injury in the first few games, we're suddenly short either upfront starting or certainly on the bench..
Bodvarsson... on 19:58 - Jul 13 with 5672 viewsPhilTWTD

Spoke to an Icelandic Blue yesterday and his view was as follows: "For a tall striker Bödvarsson is outstanding with the ball at his feet. He made countless goals for his national team strike partner Kolbeinn Sigthorsson with his intelligent play and hard work. If he could score goals, he’d be Premier League quality."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024