Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the point of wedding lists these days 10:14 - Jul 15 with 7026 viewsgordon

Absolute nonsense. My tight and well-off qualified accountant friend is getting married to a bit of a rotter, owns his own house and has paid it off, has lived in it for a few years, and they have put together a list of absolute crap that they obviously don't need. £40 for a few plates? F*ck off.

Worse luck is, I'm the sodding best man. I'm going for the Garlic Press.

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:17 - Jul 15 with 6504 viewseireblue

I think that is a rather bold start to the speech, but go with it and let us know how it turned out.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:21 - Jul 15 with 6484 viewsdickie

We did an Amazon list and picked things ranging from £3 to a garden shed not really caring if anyone bought anything but we felt really touched when people did buy stuff. We'd lived together for years and had most things that couples/families need so picked things that were quirky, or decorative for the house that we could treasure or things that we'd love to own but could never justify spending the money on.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:26 - Jul 15 with 6460 viewsWeWereZombies

I've got a garlic press I never use if you want to make an offer...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:30 - Jul 15 with 6445 viewsFreddies_Ears

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:26 - Jul 15 by WeWereZombies

My sister's in-laws were given 4 tomato slicers as wedding presents. I asked what they did with them. "We gave them away as wedding presents" was the smart response.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:38 - Jul 15 with 6404 viewslowhouseblue

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:17 - Jul 15 by eireblue

I think that is a rather bold start to the speech, but go with it and let us know how it turned out.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:41 - Jul 15 with 6382 viewsReuser_is_God

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:30 - Jul 15 by Freddies_Ears

My sister's in-laws were given 4 tomato slicers as wedding presents. I asked what they did with them. "We gave them away as wedding presents" was the smart response.

'Sliced tomatoes' would've been my answer.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:41 - Jul 15 with 6380 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:26 - Jul 15 by WeWereZombies

My garlic press sees a lot of action.

I agree with OP though.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:55 - Jul 15 with 6336 viewsBluebell

Most couples nowadays have a house and have lived together before the wedding so don't actually need anything.

The last wedding we went to a couple of weeks ago the couple asked for money towards the honeymoon. That is almost as difficult as having alist to choose from as you wonder how much you should give them. Will they think you are tight if you give too little?
Login to get fewer ads

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:05 - Jul 15 with 6294 viewsjeera

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:55 - Jul 15 by Bluebell

Most couples nowadays have a house and have lived together before the wedding so don't actually need anything.

The last wedding we went to a couple of weeks ago the couple asked for money towards the honeymoon. That is almost as difficult as having alist to choose from as you wonder how much you should give them. Will they think you are tight if you give too little?

My neice and husband did this.

I find it a bit rich inviting people to your wedding and asking them to pay for your holiday!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:12 - Jul 15 with 6266 viewsitfcjoe

£50 - job done

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:12 - Jul 15 with 6273 viewsStuartBrett8

When my brother got married they were moving into a flat together afterwards, Mrs and I bought them loads of cleaning stuff, bleach, toilet cleaner ect... practical stuff that you need in a new home... they were delighted :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:15 - Jul 15 with 6260 viewshype313

I went to a wedding a few years back and the couple were typical of what you described, had a house fully furnished and they just said they didn't want any gifts, but if people wanted to contribute, then they nominated a local charity, not sure the final sum but it was pretty impressive.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:26 - Jul 15 with 6222 viewsBluebell

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:12 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

£50 - job done

That is exactly what we gave them!

Saves the trouble of dragging round shops trying to find something, buying expensive wrapping paper etc.

I do like the comment above of requesting you to contribute to a local charity. A much better idea than asking for people to fund your holiday as Jeera said.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 11:27]
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:18 - Jul 15 with 6101 viewsitfcjoe

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:26 - Jul 15 by Bluebell

That is exactly what we gave them!

Saves the trouble of dragging round shops trying to find something, buying expensive wrapping paper etc.

I do like the comment above of requesting you to contribute to a local charity. A much better idea than asking for people to fund your holiday as Jeera said.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 11:27]

We did the same for our wedding, and to be honest nearly every wedding I've been to recently has been the same.

Generally people want to give a gift of something sort, and without sounding ungrateful most of the presents we got were a waste of money as either didn't need them or didn't want them, so this works for most people where you live together before married. And allows a honeymoon you wouldn't otherwise afford.

Some companies can break it down - you can buy dinner, or a camel ride, or a spa day for the couple to have when on holiday.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:18 - Jul 15 with 6099 viewsgordon

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 10:17 - Jul 15 by eireblue

Good idea that.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:19 - Jul 15 with 6094 viewsgordon

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 11:05 - Jul 15 by jeera

My neice and husband did this.

I find it a bit rich inviting people to your wedding and asking them to pay for your holiday!

The wedding in question is on a Friday as well, they've basically saved a few hundred quid on the sh*t reception in a tasteless hotel and everyone going has to waste a days holiday.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:41 - Jul 15 with 6044 viewseireblue

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:19 - Jul 15 by gordon

The wedding in question is on a Friday as well, they've basically saved a few hundred quid on the sh*t reception in a tasteless hotel and everyone going has to waste a days holiday.

save that for the end,

"...although you've basically saved a few hundred quid on the sh*t reception in a tasteless hotel and we have all had to waste a days holiday, lets be upstanding and I give you the bride and groom"
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 13:01 - Jul 15 with 5993 viewsdirtyboy

I thought, as a rule of thumb, your cost (list or cash) should be at least equivalent to your food intake?

So if you're there all day, meal, wine and evening buffet etc, you should look about about £50pp.

If you're a dreg and fringe family/friend and evening only then it's take away money £20pp?

When I was best man I bought the groom a match worn signed Steven Gerard shirt and framed it, cost me a fortune, but hey, us tight accountants are all the same!
on 13:09 - Jul 15 with 5961 views_

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 13:36 - Jul 15 with 5893 viewsGeoffSentence

The point of wedding lists is so that not everyone gets the garlic press.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 15:40 - Jul 15 with 5773 viewsjeera

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 12:19 - Jul 15 by gordon

Your heart isn't in this, I can tell.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 15:53 - Jul 15 with 5736 viewsgordon

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 15:40 - Jul 15 by jeera

Your heart isn't in this, I can tell.

I am at least a position too high in the batting line-up. Problem is that the lady, who I don't know very well but seems to be a complete idiot in every respect is in charge of it all, and my poor mate is being made a bit of a goose out of. I'd not met the lady till after I'd agreed to do it. She's oversensitive and wants to 'approve' my speech beforehand as well.

Not a massive fan of weddings to start off with, but this is away to be a proper soulless chain hotel off-the-shelf wedding by numbers blandfest. The only redeeming feature is the possibility of the bride having a hilarious meltdown.
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 20:15 - Jul 15 with 5571 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 13:01 - Jul 15 by dirtyboy

I thought, as a rule of thumb, your cost (list or cash) should be at least equivalent to your food intake?

So if you're there all day, meal, wine and evening buffet etc, you should look about about £50pp.

If you're a dreg and fringe family/friend and evening only then it's take away money £20pp?

When I was best man I bought the groom a match worn signed Steven Gerard shirt and framed it, cost me a fortune, but hey, us tight accountants are all the same!

I thought the Groom was supposed to buy the best man something? Well my best mate did for me on his big day

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 20:42 - Jul 15 with 5535 viewstcblue

At the root of these things quite often it is the worst peacocking and keeping up with the Joneses.

Best one I've ever been to was one which was less than 100 people, in a local boozer, was just a celebration of their commitment. Nobody got stressed, bankrupt or upset
What's the point of wedding lists these days on 21:51 - Jul 15 with 5452 viewsSteve_M

What's the point of wedding lists these days on 15:53 - Jul 15 by gordon

I am at least a position too high in the batting line-up. Problem is that the lady, who I don't know very well but seems to be a complete idiot in every respect is in charge of it all, and my poor mate is being made a bit of a goose out of. I'd not met the lady till after I'd agreed to do it. She's oversensitive and wants to 'approve' my speech beforehand as well.

Not a massive fan of weddings to start off with, but this is away to be a proper soulless chain hotel off-the-shelf wedding by numbers blandfest. The only redeeming feature is the possibility of the bride having a hilarious meltdown.

If that does happen then please do keep us informed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024