Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next James Bond..... 08:20 - Jul 17 with 15748 viewsitfcjoe

In light of the new Dr Who being a female, which I couldn't care less about as have never and will never watch it anyway, I wondered what people's thoughts are on the next James Bond....

I think the favourite is Tom Hardy, but there has been a lot of talk about Idris Elba.

I don't get how a black guy can get the role of a literary character who is clearly defined in numerous books - it makes no sense to me.

I'm sure some will see this as racist, although I struggle to see how.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Next James Bond..... on 08:26 - Jul 17 with 5800 viewstcblue

Your last sentence is a bit odd.

But I'll bite anyway, what is it that Bond does which means he can only be played by white actors?
Next James Bond..... on 08:28 - Jul 17 with 5786 viewsWD19

Next James Bond..... on 08:26 - Jul 17 by tcblue

But I'll bite anyway, what is it that Bond does which means he can only be played by white actors?

A black bond could never dress up as a convincing Japanese man in the way Sean Connery did.
Next James Bond..... on 08:28 - Jul 17 with 5788 viewsitfcjoe

Next James Bond..... on 08:26 - Jul 17 by tcblue

As mentioned - he is a literary character who has been described and detailed numerous times in numerous books.

Next James Bond..... on 08:31 - Jul 17 with 5769 viewsLord_Lucan

I would like Tom Hardy but I doubt it and I love Idris Elba but agree with your comments.

I doubt though it will be either, James Bonds are rarely AAA type actors, I think it will be a slightly less known actor - maybe that Poldark bod.

Personally I would like Roy Cropper.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Next James Bond..... on 08:32 - Jul 17 with 5759 viewstcblue

Next James Bond..... on 08:28 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

As mentioned - he is a literary character who has been described and detailed numerous times in numerous books.

Did the books also describe him as English?
Next James Bond..... on 08:36 - Jul 17 with 5739 viewsitfcjoe

Next James Bond..... on 08:32 - Jul 17 by tcblue

Did the books also describe him as English?

Scottish father, Swiss mother - raised with an Aunt in England and attended Eton.

Next James Bond..... on 08:40 - Jul 17 with 5721 viewstcblue

So the sanctity of the books has already been broken. I'm struggling with this one Joe, I must admit I'm not a fan of Bond but I can't put a nice reason on why you have an issue with it
Next James Bond..... on 08:44 - Jul 17 with 5699 viewsitfcjoe

Next James Bond..... on 08:40 - Jul 17 by tcblue

So the sanctity of the books has already been broken. I'm struggling with this one Joe, I must admit I'm not a fan of Bond but I can't put a nice reason on why you have an issue with it

How does that break the sanctity of the books?

Login to get fewer ads

Next James Bond..... on 08:51 - Jul 17 with 5671 viewsAdmiralFunge

Playing Devils Advocate here - wasn't M always male in the books?

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Next James Bond..... on 08:56 - Jul 17 with 5663 viewshomer_123

It should be played by a one legged, black, gender neutral, vegan, liberal of a non-descript age from a non-privileged background.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Next James Bond..... on 08:59 - Jul 17 with 5645 viewsWeWereZombies

Next James Bond..... on 08:56 - Jul 17 by homer_123

It should be played by a one legged, black, gender neutral, vegan, liberal of a non-descript age from a non-privileged background.

That's quite close to a description of George Lazenby...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Next James Bond..... on 09:00 - Jul 17 with 5643 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Your language seems strange in the op. I'd understand if you said you can't imagine a black Bond, or it would be wierd to you to see a James Bond, but saying you "don't get how a black guy" can be James Bond is a little strange to me.
Surely it's the tiniest of tiny jumps, and probably the one thing that would change him the "least", over, say nationality, gendre, even age.
Plus aren't all the books done now? And isn't James Bond effectively a code name for him? He's clearly not the same bloke who was "James Bond" 50+ years ago, why should race matter, apart from initially seeming a bit different?
Next James Bond..... on 09:03 - Jul 17 with 5622 viewstcblue

Next James Bond..... on 08:44 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

How does that break the sanctity of the books?

Bond has rarely been played by an English man, M was played by a woman, Felix Leiter was blond in the books.

Seems like the books aren't considered that important for casting, so again, what does Bond do which means a black actor couldn't play him?
Next James Bond..... on 09:06 - Jul 17 with 5603 viewsWeWereZombies

Next James Bond..... on 09:00 - Jul 17 by Axeldalai_lama

Your language seems strange in the op. I'd understand if you said you can't imagine a black Bond, or it would be wierd to you to see a James Bond, but saying you "don't get how a black guy" can be James Bond is a little strange to me.
Surely it's the tiniest of tiny jumps, and probably the one thing that would change him the "least", over, say nationality, gendre, even age.
Plus aren't all the books done now? And isn't James Bond effectively a code name for him? He's clearly not the same bloke who was "James Bond" 50+ years ago, why should race matter, apart from initially seeming a bit different?

William Boyd, amongst others, has written a new James Bond novel - I think the permission of Ian Fleming's estate is needed. So the franchise will continue...until the money dries up. It could even be in Britain's interest to keep it going as it gives a certain romance to our mucking about in the affairs of the world. Perhaps if space travel ever becomes ubiquitous the roles of Bond and Dr. Who can be combined - that is going to be one helluva human resources meeting.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Next James Bond..... on 09:14 - Jul 17 with 5578 viewsitfcjoe

Next James Bond..... on 08:51 - Jul 17 by AdmiralFunge

Playing Devils Advocate here - wasn't M always male in the books?

I also don't think that's great - but the main character is a very different beast. It is the James Bond franchise, and the books and the films are about him - what happens around that isn't too consequential for me.

Next James Bond..... on 09:18 - Jul 17 with 5567 viewsitfcjoe

With regards to being a smaller change than gender, nationality or age then to clarify these things that I also don't think should be changed but aren't currently amongst the bookies favourites to be the next Bond so hadn't brought those up.

There are still books written with permission from the estate of Ian Fleming. If James Bond is seen as too much of a misogynist, or sexist, or priviliged white background then I'd rather the movies die out than change to try and adapt to modern ideals.

Next James Bond..... on 09:20 - Jul 17 with 5551 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Next James Bond..... on 08:56 - Jul 17 by homer_123

..........or, Jeremy Corbyn!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Next James Bond..... on 09:22 - Jul 17 with 5548 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

He's clearly a time traveller.......so, maybe the new Dr Who can be Bond too !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Next James Bond..... on 09:24 - Jul 17 with 5540 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Tom Hiddleston - Lump on!
Next James Bond..... on 09:28 - Jul 17 with 5533 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Next James Bond..... on 09:18 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

With regards to being a smaller change than gender, nationality or age then to clarify these things that I also don't think should be changed but aren't currently amongst the bookies favourites to be the next Bond so hadn't brought those up.

There are still books written with permission from the estate of Ian Fleming. If James Bond is seen as too much of a misogynist, or sexist, or priviliged white background then I'd rather the movies die out than change to try and adapt to modern ideals.

You think picking Idris Elba would be trying to adapt to "modern ideals"?
What if he was still priviliged, misogynistic and sexist?
Are the new books set present day, out of interest? And is James Bond still as mysogynistic etc as portrayed in early bond films? I've no idea of the history really, I like the films, especially the modern ones, just don't see how having a black bloke would matter. Or any other race for that matter.
Next James Bond..... on 09:33 - Jul 17 with 5517 viewsLord_Lucan

Next James Bond..... on 09:03 - Jul 17 by tcblue

Bond has rarely been played by an English man, M was played by a woman, Felix Leiter was blond in the books.

Seems like the books aren't considered that important for casting, so again, what does Bond do which means a black actor couldn't play him?

You seem to be just trying to dig Joe out for the sake of it.

You obviously don't know him - and I think he has a point.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Next James Bond..... on 09:34 - Jul 17 with 5516 viewsSwansea_Blue

Next James Bond..... on 09:28 - Jul 17 by Axeldalai_lama

You think picking Idris Elba would be trying to adapt to "modern ideals"?
What if he was still priviliged, misogynistic and sexist?
Are the new books set present day, out of interest? And is James Bond still as mysogynistic etc as portrayed in early bond films? I've no idea of the history really, I like the films, especially the modern ones, just don't see how having a black bloke would matter. Or any other race for that matter.

Of course it wouldn't matter. But then some people still get the hump that black actors play leading roles in Shakespeare, 420 years on. People are strange.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Next James Bond..... on 09:36 - Jul 17 with 5507 viewsuncle

Next James Bond..... on 09:24 - Jul 17 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Tom Hiddleston - Lump on!

Take a cold shower
Next James Bond..... on 09:37 - Jul 17 with 5505 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I wouldn't be against Idris personally, but would prefer Tom Hardy.

A woman James Bond would be a different kettle of fish though.

Poll: Best Football Song

Next James Bond..... on 09:45 - Jul 17 with 5473 viewsSuperfrans

Next James Bond..... on 08:28 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

But these are films. They're not the same as the books and don't need to match all details from the source materials.

The Bourne films bear little similiarity to Robert Ludlum's books. But that's not a problem.
And plenty of blonde actors have played characters from novels with dark hair.

In the vast majority of dramatizations of the life of Jesus Christ, he has been played as a blue eyed, white-skinned man, when he would quite clearly have been of different ethnic origin.

Plus, when the books were mostly written, they were set in a time when a black, British secret agent would have been impossible, I would have thought (or at least highly unlikely). But the films are set in a more modern setting, and it is appropriate that they should be updated for a different world.

If you think about it, if you slavishly followed the characteristics of fictional characters from the past 300/400 years of British culture, the characters that a black actor could play would be severely limited, restricted to servants, members of the underclass etc - which would clearly be wrong.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024