Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Sky Sports packages 21:56 - Jul 18 with 10077 viewsGogs

After being fed up for years for forking out for a 'football tax' when all i really want Sky Sports for is cricket, I was delighted to hear that as of today you can tailor your package for a reduced monthly subscription, so I called them this evening and explained my situation, and requested that I change to Sky Sports Cricket and Sky Sports Arena/Action (take note: these 2 count as 1 channel if you're thinking of taking one of the individual channel packages). This would've been £22 on top of my existing Variety plus HD package, meaning overall £66 a month rather than £71.50 a month (frankly extortionate, hence why i was keen to change) a saving of £5.50 a month/£66 a year. They then said they could do 18 months of all sky sports for £20 a month, meaning £64 a month, saving £7.50 a month or £90 a year.

They then asked if i was happy with the rest of the package, so I asked if there was a cheaper way to get HD, including sports without taking the variety package (nowhere I could find on the website suggests this can be done), and they said they can offer me the 'original' package which has all the other channels I watch (Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Fox, Dave, Gold etc) with everything in HD for a further £10 a month reduction, so from paying £71.50 a month, for the sake of one 5 minute phone call, I've still got every channel I ever watch in HD for £54 a month, saving me £17.50 a month or £210 a year. Pretty happy with that, still undoubtedly an element of' football tax' built in to that price, but that's a significant saving. So my advice is give them a call if you're thinking of downgrading your existing subscription. They've got better deals available then those that they list on their website.

p.s. Disclaimer: I do not work for sky, and am not touting for business for them.
New Sky Sports packages on 22:13 - Jul 18 with 8687 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

£54 a month is still a crazy amount to spend on watching tv imo
New Sky Sports packages on 22:26 - Jul 18 with 8607 viewsMark

Does that £54 include your line rental and broadband?
New Sky Sports packages on 22:30 - Jul 18 with 8581 viewsStNeotsBlue

You got BT? They've got the next Ashes.
New Sky Sports packages on 22:31 - Jul 18 with 8575 viewsAdmiralFunge

New Sky Sports packages on 22:30 - Jul 18 by StNeotsBlue

That's not a massive selling point, this particular week.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

New Sky Sports packages on 22:36 - Jul 18 with 8555 viewsGogs

New Sky Sports packages on 22:13 - Jul 18 by backwiththeboysagain

£54 a month is still a crazy amount to spend on watching tv imo

Abolutely it's still a lot of money, but whilst I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford it, I'm happy enough with today's proceedings. The main point of my post is that there are cheaper deals to be had with sky than those they readily advertise.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 22:42]
New Sky Sports packages on 22:38 - Jul 18 with 8532 viewsGogs

New Sky Sports packages on 22:30 - Jul 18 by StNeotsBlue

Parents have BT but no smartphone/tablet so i use their subscription with the app on my phone for BT sport
New Sky Sports packages on 23:00 - Jul 18 with 8429 viewshowdonblue

GREAT AVATAR
New Sky Sports packages on 23:32 - Jul 18 with 8352 viewsbluelou

It works both ways though. They've basically moved you onto the "frontbook", which means you can access the better monthly discounts in return for contracting you for another 18 months to 2 years. Make sure you set a reminder to call in again before it reverts to full price.

Also I don't think the normal pricing is set to make sense to go for anything other than the full Sports package. It's basically £26 a month for 4 channels or £27 for all 7, including Premier League.
However people will have the illusion of choice and feel better about paying ful whack.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Login to get fewer ads

New Sky Sports packages on 08:16 - Jul 19 with 8060 viewsGogs

New Sky Sports packages on 23:32 - Jul 18 by bluelou

It works both ways though. They've basically moved you onto the "frontbook", which means you can access the better monthly discounts in return for contracting you for another 18 months to 2 years. Make sure you set a reminder to call in again before it reverts to full price.

Also I don't think the normal pricing is set to make sense to go for anything other than the full Sports package. It's basically £26 a month for 4 channels or £27 for all 7, including Premier League.
However people will have the illusion of choice and feel better about paying ful whack.

I'll definitely be calling them again in 18 months, that's for sure. Agree the 4 channel pack makes no financial sense, one or 2 channels not so bad. A little saving here and there will tempt some people. My brother is now tempted to go back and just take the cheapest package with just cricket, as he's not interested in football, golf, f1 etc. Think that's £40 a month now. Still a lot, I know.
New Sky Sports packages on 08:41 - Jul 19 with 8006 viewsTownly

Sky are being seriously threatened by streaming and X Boxes. It is the reason for the changes they are making.

It is the sheer cost of it's services which is driving people to other means of receiving their channels.

Streaming, on a laptop or through an X Box has it's problems though with buffering, adverts and scams. In fact it can be a damn nuisance.

I now use an X Box instead of paying my 70 odd quid to Sky. The recent cricket has been OK, but just that. A good picture but often lots of buffering and some occasional stalls. I give live sports coverage on these devices 6/10 ... with 1 mark given because they exist.

If Sky were to drastically reduce their subscription to a reasonable amount, say 25 pounds a month all-in I feel they would more than double their subscribers in no time and cease becoming a fringe service for the fewer who are prepared to pay their extortionate costs. Income would be the same.

With more subscribers their advertising revenue would increase.

They need to beat 'em that way or join 'em by having more pay-per-view events.
New Sky Sports packages on 08:47 - Jul 19 with 7990 viewsRIPbobby

Something tells me that they are really after the streamers. So the cheaper price is so they can get a fix on your location, in a few years time when they put the price up they will already have your details and thus will be in a position to prosecute.

Sky fear the unknown subscribers.
New Sky Sports packages on 08:49 - Jul 19 with 7979 viewsMJallday

ive just cancelled my sky package. we were paying £50 a month (we'd been a customer for 17 years) - and we got the HD, the F1 + the kids + the documentaries and music

the guy did say if we were a new customer we'd be paying £90 so we were getting a good deal

i fail to see the correlation between over £1000 a year, Peppa sodding pig and "a good deal"

hence ive cancelled the lot, going to freeview, buying now TV for £2.99 a month and getitng the exact same thing.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

New Sky Sports packages on 08:51 - Jul 19 with 7970 viewsNo9

Have you looked at the freeview channels to see how much you are paying for something you already get as part of your broadcast receiving licence?
Thtat is the onl way to assess if you are being ripped off.
If you then divide that by how much actual broadcast Tv you watch you will get a true representation of how expensive Sky / BT really are
New Sky Sports packages on 08:52 - Jul 19 with 7961 viewsMJallday

New Sky Sports packages on 08:51 - Jul 19 by No9

Have you looked at the freeview channels to see how much you are paying for something you already get as part of your broadcast receiving licence?
Thtat is the onl way to assess if you are being ripped off.
If you then divide that by how much actual broadcast Tv you watch you will get a true representation of how expensive Sky / BT really are

see my post - exactly this.

the only thing ill miss is the F1 - but apparently you can buy a day pass for £7. still beats £50

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

New Sky Sports packages on 08:52 - Jul 19 with 7956 viewsblue_oyster

Amazing amount of money to spend, already on top of a licence fee. Note that they still charge a premium for 'HD', which is just now the standard technology used for television.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

New Sky Sports packages on 08:58 - Jul 19 with 7936 viewsNo9

New Sky Sports packages on 08:49 - Jul 19 by MJallday

ive just cancelled my sky package. we were paying £50 a month (we'd been a customer for 17 years) - and we got the HD, the F1 + the kids + the documentaries and music

the guy did say if we were a new customer we'd be paying £90 so we were getting a good deal

i fail to see the correlation between over £1000 a year, Peppa sodding pig and "a good deal"

hence ive cancelled the lot, going to freeview, buying now TV for £2.99 a month and getitng the exact same thing.

I know someone who was paying the tick end of 31200 for all services and multi room / external sling shots.
After I told him he was mad and he should look for alternatives he's done an external deal and gets a lot of stuff streamed for free from overseas.

Mayb eif you do it frm another country is it legal?
New Sky Sports packages on 08:58 - Jul 19 with 7935 viewsbluelou

New Sky Sports packages on 08:41 - Jul 19 by Townly

Sky are being seriously threatened by streaming and X Boxes. It is the reason for the changes they are making.

It is the sheer cost of it's services which is driving people to other means of receiving their channels.

Streaming, on a laptop or through an X Box has it's problems though with buffering, adverts and scams. In fact it can be a damn nuisance.

I now use an X Box instead of paying my 70 odd quid to Sky. The recent cricket has been OK, but just that. A good picture but often lots of buffering and some occasional stalls. I give live sports coverage on these devices 6/10 ... with 1 mark given because they exist.

If Sky were to drastically reduce their subscription to a reasonable amount, say 25 pounds a month all-in I feel they would more than double their subscribers in no time and cease becoming a fringe service for the fewer who are prepared to pay their extortionate costs. Income would be the same.

With more subscribers their advertising revenue would increase.

They need to beat 'em that way or join 'em by having more pay-per-view events.

If they reduced their price to £25 a month they would go out of business. That doesn't even come close to the coat of providing TV (and subsidising broadband and phone in many cases).

Compare what we pay in the U.K. to the US, it's about 50% of the cost for similar services, mainly because we have a far stronger and more innovative PSB service thanks to the TV licence. Sky and the other providers need to work on providing more value for the money but outside of the premier league sports costs it's not that bad value.

Sky lost over a quarter of a million TV subscribers last year, most of them went to Now TV which is obviously bittersweet for Sky but of course illegal streaming has had an impact. Of course if everyone moved to streaming then there is nobody to pay for the rights and production and he whole thing falls down.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

New Sky Sports packages on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 7906 viewsNo9

New Sky Sports packages on 08:58 - Jul 19 by bluelou

If they reduced their price to £25 a month they would go out of business. That doesn't even come close to the coat of providing TV (and subsidising broadband and phone in many cases).

Compare what we pay in the U.K. to the US, it's about 50% of the cost for similar services, mainly because we have a far stronger and more innovative PSB service thanks to the TV licence. Sky and the other providers need to work on providing more value for the money but outside of the premier league sports costs it's not that bad value.

Sky lost over a quarter of a million TV subscribers last year, most of them went to Now TV which is obviously bittersweet for Sky but of course illegal streaming has had an impact. Of course if everyone moved to streaming then there is nobody to pay for the rights and production and he whole thing falls down.

What produciotns do sky fund?

Canal +
Ch4
HBO
BBC
& some scandinavia stations all fund films and dramas so need to be supported. Sky & BT are ruining sport & should not be supported
New Sky Sports packages on 09:13 - Jul 19 with 7866 viewsTownly

"If they reduced their price to £25 a month they would go out of business."

Not necessarily so. It would need to be a cost effective and somewhat risky for sure and the exact amount would have to be carefully calculated.

I do not think it is unreasonable to suggest that they could double their subscribers (therefore back to square one in revenue) in no time ... especially considering they are losing them at a rapid pace at the moment.

More subscribers equals more advertising revenue as well.

They will need to do something drastic in the coming years as the dinosaur is becoming extinct.
New Sky Sports packages on 10:34 - Jul 19 with 7718 viewsNo9

New Sky Sports packages on 09:13 - Jul 19 by Townly

"If they reduced their price to £25 a month they would go out of business."

Not necessarily so. It would need to be a cost effective and somewhat risky for sure and the exact amount would have to be carefully calculated.

I do not think it is unreasonable to suggest that they could double their subscribers (therefore back to square one in revenue) in no time ... especially considering they are losing them at a rapid pace at the moment.

More subscribers equals more advertising revenue as well.

They will need to do something drastic in the coming years as the dinosaur is becoming extinct.

If it were not highly profitable Murdoch would not want to have 100% ownership.
If risky they would be more than happy to spread the risk among as many other broadcasters as they could rope in
New Sky Sports packages on 10:36 - Jul 19 with 7714 viewschicoazul

Only a mad person would call a voluntary cost a 'tax'.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

New Sky Sports packages on 10:38 - Jul 19 with 7701 viewschicoazul

New Sky Sports packages on 08:47 - Jul 19 by RIPbobby

Something tells me that they are really after the streamers. So the cheaper price is so they can get a fix on your location, in a few years time when they put the price up they will already have your details and thus will be in a position to prosecute.

Sky fear the unknown subscribers.

Good. Streaming is theft committed by entitled man-babies.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

New Sky Sports packages on 10:47 - Jul 19 with 7677 viewsGavTWTD

I was seriously considering rejoining Sky after they kept bombarding me with 60% off all packages for a year. I was going to do that but they seem to have changed their offer. You now have to have the Sky Q box and an 18month contract. 60% for a year and a 12month contract I'd have taken and dropped after a year if they couldn't match that 60% each year.

I want to go ultraTV and this was one way of doing it.

Still irks me you pay a subscription and then ads and programme sponsorship on top.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

New Sky Sports packages on 10:47 - Jul 19 with 7669 viewsusm

New Sky Sports packages on 10:36 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

Only a mad person would call a voluntary cost a 'tax'.

All tax is voluntary

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

New Sky Sports packages on 10:49 - Jul 19 with 7653 viewsusm

New Sky Sports packages on 10:47 - Jul 19 by GavTWTD

I was seriously considering rejoining Sky after they kept bombarding me with 60% off all packages for a year. I was going to do that but they seem to have changed their offer. You now have to have the Sky Q box and an 18month contract. 60% for a year and a 12month contract I'd have taken and dropped after a year if they couldn't match that 60% each year.

I want to go ultraTV and this was one way of doing it.

Still irks me you pay a subscription and then ads and programme sponsorship on top.

£90 to instal Sky Q as well - incl the separate "mini box" - thats what theyve quoted us.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024