Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits 15:17 - Jul 19 with 6921 viewsWeWereZombies

and perhaps it is just that tennis players have had to face the press room after matches for many years now but the quality of discussion on 'Today at Wimbledon' seems a million times better than 'Match of the Day', and bear in mind that pundits like Boris Becker and Kim Clijsters are not speaking in their first language. Some of that might be down to Clare Balding being a better anchor than Lineker, but the point is that what they say is worth hearing and adds to the highlights shown whereas most of the patter on MotD is just filler (and form MotD to The Championship Show or whatever it will be this year is a downward spiral of staggering velocity).

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:21 - Jul 19 with 6520 viewsIllinoisblue

the premier league coverage over here (on NBC) is surprisingly good in terms of punditry. Graham Le Saux and Lee Dixon are the game pundits, and back in the studio it's the excellent Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:23 - Jul 19 with 6503 viewsPendejo

Whilst I do not disagree with your POV, maybe, just maybe, you look down on football pundits because you yourself are a knowledgeable football fan, and may well have played football and the pundit does not "add value" to your viewing experience...
Whereas, if I may speculate, your tennis knowledge / experience is not as good thus the pundit enhances the experience...

Just a thought

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:28 - Jul 19 with 6475 viewsWeWereZombies

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:21 - Jul 19 by Illinoisblue

the premier league coverage over here (on NBC) is surprisingly good in terms of punditry. Graham Le Saux and Lee Dixon are the game pundits, and back in the studio it's the excellent Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe.

Maybe it is just a 'trying extra special to impress the foreigners' thing then, as well as Becker, Clijsters, McEnroe, Navratilova and Davenport for the tennis, the Beeb also have used the very erudite Michael Johnson for Athletics. Le Saux is generally quite droll so I can see that, Lee Dixon can make a good point but still give the appearance of it being about paint drying.

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:35 - Jul 19 with 6458 viewsWeWereZombies

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:23 - Jul 19 by Pendejo

Whilst I do not disagree with your POV, maybe, just maybe, you look down on football pundits because you yourself are a knowledgeable football fan, and may well have played football and the pundit does not "add value" to your viewing experience...
Whereas, if I may speculate, your tennis knowledge / experience is not as good thus the pundit enhances the experience...

Just a thought

Well in my mind I was a gifted footballer but, as regular substitutions give the evidence for, in reality I was quite poor. I am also a poor tennis player but, having no team mates to blame, I was always aware of that. So interesting point you make but I feel it is the other way around. What the tennis pundits do is explain the game in greater detail with more awareness of what armchair fans need to know but the football pundits just dole out the usual cliches and leave me wanting a whole lot more guidance as to what went on and who did well and who was at fault. The graphics that are added to replays on MotD are probably the best part of the show apart from the highlights, quite telling that the tennis does not really need these.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 16:07]

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:05 - Jul 19 with 6410 viewsPendejo

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:35 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

Well in my mind I was a gifted footballer but, as regular substitutions give the evidence for, in reality I was quite poor. I am also a poor tennis player but, having no team mates to blame, I was always aware of that. So interesting point you make but I feel it is the other way around. What the tennis pundits do is explain the game in greater detail with more awareness of what armchair fans need to know but the football pundits just dole out the usual cliches and leave me wanting a whole lot more guidance as to what went on and who did well and who was at fault. The graphics that are added to replays on MotD are probably the best part of the show apart from the highlights, quite telling that the tennis does not really need these.

Harsh on yourself there. I mentioned "experience" not "ability".

Given the tennis analogy... Gullit, Desailly

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:07 - Jul 19 with 6400 viewsIllinoisblue

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:28 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

Maybe it is just a 'trying extra special to impress the foreigners' thing then, as well as Becker, Clijsters, McEnroe, Navratilova and Davenport for the tennis, the Beeb also have used the very erudite Michael Johnson for Athletics. Le Saux is generally quite droll so I can see that, Lee Dixon can make a good point but still give the appearance of it being about paint drying.

Dixon is good but rattles on sometimes too much and also labours his jokey asides with Le Saux. It's almost as if he forgets he's on air sometimes which to be fair isn't necessarily a bad thing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:13 - Jul 19 with 6373 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yeah. The ex pros like Becker come across far more knowledgeable than their football counterparts. They also seem to give more respect to Tennis presenters who have not played the game, whereas I always get the feeling the footballers have no time for anyone who hasn't played the game.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:17 - Jul 19 with 6349 viewschicoazul

It's to do with the people watching. Tennis watchers tend to be middle class suburbanites and retirees so the commentators can afford to string a few sentences together and be understood.

As opposed to using a man like say Jamie Redknapp who to me looks like he has to hang on to the side of the chair he sits in in the way he does to prevent himself from falling out of it such is his stupidity.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:19 - Jul 19 with 6340 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:35 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

I'm not a fan of cricket. On the radio it is even less exciting and if cricket commentary came on the radio whilst I was driving I would play some music.

However, there was a cricket commentator called Jack Banister who had so much knowledge and so much enthusiasm for the game that I would be hooked into listening to him.

Are footballers completely fed up with the game once they retire so there is less enthusiasm and a lack of wanting to go into detailed analysis?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:23 - Jul 19 with 6324 viewsWeWereZombies

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:17 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

It's to do with the people watching. Tennis watchers tend to be middle class suburbanites and retirees so the commentators can afford to string a few sentences together and be understood.

As opposed to using a man like say Jamie Redknapp who to me looks like he has to hang on to the side of the chair he sits in in the way he does to prevent himself from falling out of it such is his stupidity.

u wot, guv!

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:26 - Jul 19 with 6314 viewschicoazul

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:23 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

u wot, guv!

Totally true mate, TV analysis in sport is based on people watching it. You also have to factor in that there is a lot more time for analysis during a long tournament like Wimbledon and indeed, during test matches, athletics meets etc than there is in football. A live game on Sky basically has about 8 minutes of half time to fill due to ads and hardly anyone watches the post-game/pre-game analysis. Math of the Day too has about 5 mins analysis per game.

EDIT: also Wimbledon is on the BBC which means no adverts ergo more time for analysis, commentary etc
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 16:27]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:29 - Jul 19 with 6301 viewsMullet

I think on the whole we should be worried about the money not collected in tax, spent on the armed forces, needless privatisation, meddling in public services etc.

A lot of the Lineker/Evans/ white male envy and resentment is unbalanced in my book. It's often looking at the symptoms not the cause.

Personally I find Balding painful viewing, she's not much better than someone off ITV breakfast fluff. But people like it so the BBC of all media outlets should reflect popularism in their wage structure surely?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:33 - Jul 19 with 6292 viewsWeWereZombies

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:26 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

Totally true mate, TV analysis in sport is based on people watching it. You also have to factor in that there is a lot more time for analysis during a long tournament like Wimbledon and indeed, during test matches, athletics meets etc than there is in football. A live game on Sky basically has about 8 minutes of half time to fill due to ads and hardly anyone watches the post-game/pre-game analysis. Math of the Day too has about 5 mins analysis per game.

EDIT: also Wimbledon is on the BBC which means no adverts ergo more time for analysis, commentary etc
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 16:27]

Maybe, but I think it is also a case that football analysis has been done to death whereas Wimbledon is just a couple of weeks a year, only tennis enthusiasts bother with the rest of the Grand Slams and Eastbourne etc. The Olympics is once every four years and the rest of the athletics programme is nowhere near as closely followed so football pundits can say more or less anything and it will be met with a mixture of resignation and mild interest, other sports need a helping hand for the casual viewer to really appreciate the contest.

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 19:15 - Jul 19 with 6165 viewsEastTownBlue

Not sure about paying John McEnroe over £150,000 for two weeks work (only when he is not on air on US TV).
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 20:46 - Jul 19 with 6097 viewsJohnny_Boy

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 15:21 - Jul 19 by Illinoisblue

Isn't the NBC platform all changing this coming season? Monthly subscription if you want the choice of watching ALL Prem games.
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 21:39 - Jul 19 with 6056 viewsLord_Lucan

Ex tennis players in more educated than ex footballers shock.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:27 - Jul 19 with 6026 viewsblueislander

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 21:39 - Jul 19 by Lord_Lucan

Ex tennis players in more educated than ex footballers shock.

Football has saturation coverage on TV , and the TV companies pay obscene amounts of money to televise it.Real Madrid sold two players today. Morata, who I have heard of, for 80 million Euros, and some other guy, who I have not heard of for 30 million. That is what other sports are up against. To address the original point, I played tennis to a reasonably high standard, and many of the comentators do give brilliant insight into the sport. The best (imo) is Mark Petchey. Henman is very good, and McEnroe, as you would expect, gives a different take on things. Sam Smith and Jo Durie are very knowageable on the women's game. The best individual TV sports presenter for me is Sue Barker.
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:31 - Jul 19 with 6015 viewsblue_oyster

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:27 - Jul 19 by blueislander

Football has saturation coverage on TV , and the TV companies pay obscene amounts of money to televise it.Real Madrid sold two players today. Morata, who I have heard of, for 80 million Euros, and some other guy, who I have not heard of for 30 million. That is what other sports are up against. To address the original point, I played tennis to a reasonably high standard, and many of the comentators do give brilliant insight into the sport. The best (imo) is Mark Petchey. Henman is very good, and McEnroe, as you would expect, gives a different take on things. Sam Smith and Jo Durie are very knowageable on the women's game. The best individual TV sports presenter for me is Sue Barker.

I think the question might be how much 'insight' there could be to hitting a ball backwards and forwards over a net.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:34 - Jul 19 with 6009 viewsblueislander

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:31 - Jul 19 by blue_oyster

I think the question might be how much 'insight' there could be to hitting a ball backwards and forwards over a net.

If that is what you think , fair enough. I won't bite to your trolling.
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:48 - Jul 19 with 5994 viewsblue_oyster

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:34 - Jul 19 by blueislander

If that is what you think , fair enough. I won't bite to your trolling.

Thanks very much, you are too kind.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 08:34 - Jul 20 with 5868 viewsNo9

I stopped watching Wimbledon years ago because it gives me no enjoyment, I lived in SW13 for a while and saw the annual numptie season = NO thanks.

When I watch football on TV I often turn the sound off
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 09:10 - Jul 20 with 5825 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 16:05 - Jul 19 by Pendejo

Harsh on yourself there. I mentioned "experience" not "ability".

Given the tennis analogy... Gullit, Desailly

Without criticising WWZ, the vast majority of football fans know fark all about the game compared to the insights a former professional will have. And vastly over-inflated opinions of their own knowledge and experience. Having played to even a high amateur level or coaching a kids team doesn't turn people into Bobby Robson.

Just a shame that pundits play dull and safe and don't pass on many of their insights. Some do, but they're few and far between.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 10:22 - Jul 20 with 5772 viewsWeWereZombies

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 22:27 - Jul 19 by blueislander

Just watching 'Today at Wimbledon' I have missed out on Petchey, Durie and Sam Smith but Henman I was very impressed with this time and he makes a great double act with McEnroe. I forgot to mention Tracey Austin earlier, very direct and pithy in her comments. Also Annabel Croft - but that might not be entirely down to her, technically excellent, tennis comments. Prefer the slightly more combative anchoring of Balding to Barker. Must download and watch those programmes again and concentrate on the tennis this time...

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 13:34 - Jul 20 with 5705 viewsblueislander

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 10:22 - Jul 20 by WeWereZombies

Just watching 'Today at Wimbledon' I have missed out on Petchey, Durie and Sam Smith but Henman I was very impressed with this time and he makes a great double act with McEnroe. I forgot to mention Tracey Austin earlier, very direct and pithy in her comments. Also Annabel Croft - but that might not be entirely down to her, technically excellent, tennis comments. Prefer the slightly more combative anchoring of Balding to Barker. Must download and watch those programmes again and concentrate on the tennis this time...

Fully understand the distraction caused by Annabel Croft, but she does know her tennis. She is 51, and up with Liz Hurley for that age bracket.
The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 08:37 - Jul 21 with 5601 viewsRIPbobby

The Lineker salary thread has got me thinking about TV pundits on 08:34 - Jul 20 by No9

I stopped watching Wimbledon years ago because it gives me no enjoyment, I lived in SW13 for a while and saw the annual numptie season = NO thanks.

When I watch football on TV I often turn the sound off

I can't stand listening to football commentary. I much prefer using my eyes. Some people are spoon fed by commentary. The only person that does spring to mind as a good analyst is hoddle. Maybe it's because I think lalana is a genius too.

With regards to tennis at Wimbledon... I can just about watch girls tennis on grass as this is not so dependant on power. Much prefer the French open where you can really see the skill and guile of players on clay.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024