Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this racist? 10:50 - Jul 20 with 22156 viewsDolly2.0

A mate of mine is black and we joke around a lot, often about stuff that's close to the knuckle (for example he jokes about when he doesn't want to do something he's going to 'black me up' and send me instead).

The other day I made a joke (he wasn't around at the time). We were talking about Black Friday and I said "is that when X (my mate) goes shopping?"

Is that racist?

The people I said it to were sort of 'mock' offended and one told my mate (again in a 'mock grassing me up' way). He seemed to laugh it off but I got the impression maybe I went a bit far this time.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking. He seems fine since.

I might be a bit old fashioned but I tend to think if something isn't said with malice and doesn't actually denigrate someone because of their race, then it's not racist. Am I right or out of touch?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Is this racist? on 10:53 - Jul 20 with 10322 viewsblue_oyster

It isn't now, but give it another few years of nonsensical shouting and fingers in ears until rational debate is of no use, then it will be.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Is this racist? on 10:56 - Jul 20 with 10305 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Not racist at all.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Is this racist? on 11:01 - Jul 20 with 10276 viewsunbelievablue

An interesting one. What is most likely now is that which could have been kept between friends and remained 'tongue in cheek' may actually become offensive to some folks on this forum.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Is this racist? on 11:02 - Jul 20 with 10263 viewsgiant_stow

The line's tricky innit - think it depends on your audience.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 11:12 - Jul 20 with 10188 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:02 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

The line's tricky innit - think it depends on your audience.

You've hit the nail on the head there for me - well the first bit at least. The line is rather tricky. But surely something is racist or it isn't, regardless of the audience? The audience will determine if anyone's offended - but the joke could still be racist even if no-one who heard it was offended.

Is this racist? on 11:13 - Jul 20 with 10180 viewschicoazul

Don't ever change Dolly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is this racist? on 11:15 - Jul 20 with 10161 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:13 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Don't ever change Dolly.

I know it's fun for you to patronise me but care to enter the debate? Other's in the thread seem to think it's a reasonable question.

Is this racist? on 11:15 - Jul 20 with 10156 viewsReuser_is_God

No, not racist.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this racist? on 11:16 - Jul 20 with 10143 viewschicoazul

Is this racist? on 11:15 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

I know it's fun for you to patronise me but care to enter the debate? Other's in the thread seem to think it's a reasonable question.

Why not ask your mate if he thinks it's racist?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is this racist? on 11:17 - Jul 20 with 10129 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 11:12 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

You've hit the nail on the head there for me - well the first bit at least. The line is rather tricky. But surely something is racist or it isn't, regardless of the audience? The audience will determine if anyone's offended - but the joke could still be racist even if no-one who heard it was offended.

me and my mates are a fairly mixed bunch racially and to be honest, some of the gibes that float around on drunken nights would shock alot of people. But it's not for their ears - its for ours so anyone listenning can fck off.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 11:19 - Jul 20 with 10105 viewsRoyKeanesDog

It may sound like an oxymoron, but I see it as a racist joke that is acceptable.

If you had said it to a black man you had only just met then it would've been racist. It's the same joke so you can't say it isn't. It's the context that makes it acceptable.

Generally I find racist/homophobic/sexist jokes unnecessary, even if tounge in cheek. If a group of friends have a minority in their group, and it goes down well- it's none of my business to get offended by that.

There's definitely enough in it to call it a grey area, but I wouldn't worry about it. If he makes the jokes himself, he's not likely to get offended by something like that.

Poll: Best Football Song

Is this racist? on 11:26 - Jul 20 with 10062 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:16 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Why not ask your mate if he thinks it's racist?

I may well do. I may have done already. I'm asking the good people of TWTD what they think.

Other threads are available if you don't like this one.

Is this racist? on 11:35 - Jul 20 with 10008 viewstcblue

As always, context is key, as it happens I do actually think it is racial prejudice but it's so mild and obviously among friends that there's no need to worry.

Here's where context is a mofo, as is the internet army who like to get offended on behalf of others though, anyone without context of friendship could misconstrue this as negative racial prejudice; that you think black people only can afford / are tight with their money and that's why it's called Black Friday.

In summary: stop worrying and don't let the internet decide for you if something you say between friends is offensive. Literally everything I say to my friends is offensive.
Is this racist? on 11:36 - Jul 20 with 9998 viewsSeablu

Is this racist? on 11:15 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

You only wrote this to show us you've got a black friend, didn't you? And it's others not other's. Good job you don't write for a living.
Is this racist? on 11:38 - Jul 20 with 9978 viewslegal_blue

Yes, it was racist. Your 'joke' relied upon your friend's race (ethnicity), so it is, by definition a racist comment. Your intention is irrelevant.

You also said it at work, and could be liable for disciplinary proceedings. Your friend could make a complaint and your employer would be obliged to take action against you.

Friendly advice: make a fulsome apology to your black colleague and quit racial-based 'humour'.
Is this racist? on 11:40 - Jul 20 with 9960 viewsbluelou

Given the context I would say it was in poor taste.

You said it without him being present, potentially to people who don't know about the in-jokes between you and him and could therefore also be offended and, worst of all, it was dreadfully unfunny, like sub-Jim Davidson unfunny.

You're probably naive rather than out of touch and I'm sure you're not a racist, but it was something that could be career limiting and lose you a mate.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Is this racist? on 11:40 - Jul 20 with 9942 viewsRobTheMonk

Is this racist? on 11:19 - Jul 20 by RoyKeanesDog

It may sound like an oxymoron, but I see it as a racist joke that is acceptable.

If you had said it to a black man you had only just met then it would've been racist. It's the same joke so you can't say it isn't. It's the context that makes it acceptable.

Generally I find racist/homophobic/sexist jokes unnecessary, even if tounge in cheek. If a group of friends have a minority in their group, and it goes down well- it's none of my business to get offended by that.

There's definitely enough in it to call it a grey area, but I wouldn't worry about it. If he makes the jokes himself, he's not likely to get offended by something like that.

More of a black area... ZING.
Is this racist? on 11:41 - Jul 20 with 9941 viewsGlasgowBlue

I would say no. You don't consider white's superior to blacks. You don't discriminate against your mate in any way based on the colour of his skin. And your mate has offered his skin colour as a topic of humour to you in the past.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this racist? on 11:41 - Jul 20 with 9935 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:35 - Jul 20 by tcblue

As always, context is key, as it happens I do actually think it is racial prejudice but it's so mild and obviously among friends that there's no need to worry.

Here's where context is a mofo, as is the internet army who like to get offended on behalf of others though, anyone without context of friendship could misconstrue this as negative racial prejudice; that you think black people only can afford / are tight with their money and that's why it's called Black Friday.

In summary: stop worrying and don't let the internet decide for you if something you say between friends is offensive. Literally everything I say to my friends is offensive.

I'm not worried I just wanted to provoke a debate.

Certainly didn't occur to me about the cheapness. It was literally the word "black". He's actually very wealthy, so Black Friday being for him because he can't afford regular prices wouldn't make any sense.

Interesting, though, that it could be interpreted that way.

Is this racist? (n/t) on 11:42 - Jul 20 with 9921 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this racist? on 11:26 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

I may well do. I may have done already. I'm asking the good people of TWTD what they think.

Other threads are available if you don't like this one.

[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:18]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this racist? on 11:43 - Jul 20 with 9920 viewsPendejo

Context and recipients.

No malice and about someone with whom you share banter.

HOWEVER

To the wrong set of ears you are a card carrying, cross burning Klansman.

One of my colleagues used share banter with another colleague that was FAR FAR worse than that. "This banana for you boy!"

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Is this racist? on 11:44 - Jul 20 with 9897 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:36 - Jul 20 by Seablu

You only wrote this to show us you've got a black friend, didn't you? And it's others not other's. Good job you don't write for a living.

Wow.

Is this racist? on 11:45 - Jul 20 with 9890 viewsmonytowbray

The comment itself is racist, but the context of the comment it not (mates joking about), therefore it isn't being racist. However with the context removed (IE. in a room of people when he wasn't around or with strangers) that context is removed and therefore it could be seen as racist by those who don't have said context.

For me it goes to show that it's easier to not make said jokes full stop, or at least not in situations where the context isn't quite clear.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is this racist? on 11:49 - Jul 20 with 9841 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 11:38 - Jul 20 by legal_blue

Yes, it was racist. Your 'joke' relied upon your friend's race (ethnicity), so it is, by definition a racist comment. Your intention is irrelevant.

You also said it at work, and could be liable for disciplinary proceedings. Your friend could make a complaint and your employer would be obliged to take action against you.

Friendly advice: make a fulsome apology to your black colleague and quit racial-based 'humour'.

Where have I said I said it at work?

Is this racist? on 11:50 - Jul 20 with 9830 viewshype313

Is this racist? on 11:41 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

I would say no. You don't consider white's superior to blacks. You don't discriminate against your mate in any way based on the colour of his skin. And your mate has offered his skin colour as a topic of humour to you in the past.

It's racist, regardless of his friend offering his skin colour in the past.

To make a joke out of someone's skin colour is racist, no matter what caveats are involved.

I'm flabbergasted both you and Dolly are even questioning this

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024