Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some medical advice please....... 11:47 - Jul 20 with 1508 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Following an MRI scan on a "clicky" elbow which she broke age 6, my 12 year old daughter, we have been informed by letter has the following condition and is now to have a CT scan....

"Osteochondroma
An osteochondroma is a benign (noncancerous) tumor that develops during childhood or adolescence. It is an abnormal growth that forms on the surface of a bone near the growth plate.

Growth plates are areas of developing cartilage tissue near the ends of long bones in children. Bone growth occurs around the growth plate, and when a child becomes full-grown, the growth plates harden into solid bone.

An osteochondroma is an outgrowth of the growth plate and is made up of both bone and cartilage. As a child grows, an osteochondroma may grow larger, as well. Once a child has reached skeletal maturity, the osteochondroma typically stops growing, too.

In most cases of osteochondroma, no treatment is required other than regular monitoring of the tumor to identify any changes or complications."

Obviously the word tumour is not one that you want to hear associated with your child. Has anybody had any experience of this condition who can reassure me that it has not become cancerous at a later date which can apparently "rarely" happen....? Any help please ?

Edit....Scarily, looking more closely at the letter it says....(the scan)" suggested that there may be a benign osteochondroma present....." So presumably that's the best option and no date as yet for the CT scan !
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 11:51]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Some medical advice please....... on 11:55 - Jul 20 with 1467 viewsSteve_M

I think we can all understand your concerns but it's notable that the letter goes out of the way to describe osteochondroma as benign. The probable cause is clear and the CT scan is to gain further information about it: I presume to decide whether to operate and remove it.

The medical professionals caring for your daughter are best placed to assess any risk but the key point here is that it is being investigated and will be treated appropriately.

Hopefully all is ok but try not to worry your daughter unduly and let us know how it goes.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 13:40]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some medical advice please....... on 12:16 - Jul 20 with 1426 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some medical advice please....... on 11:55 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

I think we can all understand your concerns but it's notable that the letter goes out of the way to describe osteochondroma as benign. The probable cause is clear and the CT scan is to gain further information about it: I presume to decide whether to operate and remove it.

The medical professionals caring for your daughter are best placed to assess any risk but the key point here is that it is being investigated and will be treated appropriately.

Hopefully all is ok but try not to worry your daughter unduly and let us know how it goes.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 13:40]

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have read that medical opinion is that there is no link between previous damage and these tumours, more likely just that she's so bloomin' tall !
Fortunately she is a very level headed , mentally mature, young person....Unfortunately having lost 2 grandparents to cancer with a third in the last throws of prostate cancer, the treatment of which triggered leukemia, her first words to her Mum were, "have I got cancer ?"....as far as I know we have reassured her that this is not the case.
Cheers.

Some medical advice please....... on 12:36 - Jul 20 with 1397 viewsfactual_blue

Some medical advice please....... on 12:16 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have read that medical opinion is that there is no link between previous damage and these tumours, more likely just that she's so bloomin' tall !
Fortunately she is a very level headed , mentally mature, young person....Unfortunately having lost 2 grandparents to cancer with a third in the last throws of prostate cancer, the treatment of which triggered leukemia, her first words to her Mum were, "have I got cancer ?"....as far as I know we have reassured her that this is not the case.
Cheers.

I would think they're being ultra cautious. The family profile would possibly suggest this is sensible.

Hope it all turns out OK.

And maybe you and Mrs Slave should ask your GP about yourselves.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Some medical advice please....... on 12:54 - Jul 20 with 1360 viewsNewcyBlue

MrsNewcy says not to worry. She had a couple of non-cancerous tumours in her nose taken out when she was 17.

Hope all goes well with your daughter mate.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Some medical advice please....... on 13:38 - Jul 20 with 1308 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Some medical advice please....... on 12:36 - Jul 20 by factual_blue

I would think they're being ultra cautious. The family profile would possibly suggest this is sensible.

Hope it all turns out OK.

And maybe you and Mrs Slave should ask your GP about yourselves.

My prostate and I renounced our dignity a few years ago thanks.......get those PSA levels checked chaps !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024