Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest beer rip off you've had? 11:53 - Jul 20 with 10126 viewsMullet

Met some mates last night in one of Manc's more trendy parts. A place that serve glorified KFC hawked £7 for chicken nuggets and a couple of sauces, £4.80 for a small tin of what they promised was "American Red Ale".

I almost admired their audacity. That's what over £8 a pint give or take without even being on tap, up north and everything. It also tasted rubbish which didn't help matters and they served it by pouring a splosh in tiny dimpled mugs as some sort of hipster affectation and dumping the can down next to it.

Anyone experienced anything lamer?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 13:23 - Jul 20 with 4655 viewsJakeITFC

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 13:12 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Who the hell drinks beer in Ibiza nightclubs???

I refuse to pay €9 for a water.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 13:54 - Jul 20 with 4624 viewsColin_Viljoen

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 12:16 - Jul 20 by delias_cheesy_flaps

Definately Doha, I went to visit a couple of ex-workmates whilst I was living in Dubai, so you'd think I was used to paying exorbitant prices for booze, however the Sports/Irish Bar in the Sheraton Grand was a shocker, two pints of lager and a small G&T was £30!
No wonder I hate Qatar!

Oh! I bought a few beers in there, only place I could find booze.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 14:39 - Jul 20 with 4590 viewsWeWereZombies

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 13:14 - Jul 20 by jayceee

Lol. I feel sorry for you guys in the UK.
In South Africa, a normal beer at a restaurant or pub, would be (using today's conversion rate) around £1. At an upmarket, overpriced, trendy place, you'd feel ripped if they charged £2.50.

And it'd be slightly more than a pint - 500ml

And you have the excellent Mitchells Brewery in Kynsna too, about the only place outside of Britain where you can get proper beer.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 14:44 - Jul 20 with 4581 viewsSteve_M

In South Africa, a normal beer at a restaurant or pub, would be (using today's conversion rate) around £1. At an upmarket, overpriced, trendy place, you'd feel ripped if they charged £2.50.

Yes, but if that normal beer is Castle then we still win.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 14:54 - Jul 20 with 4565 viewsjayceee

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 14:44 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

Yes, but if that normal beer is Castle then we still win.

Haha. The cheap beer here would be the SAB Miller brands - Castle included, but I prefer Heineken for a slightly higher price. The expensive stuff here would be imported from all over, including the UK - and we still pay less than you for the British imports, from what I can gather.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 15:06 - Jul 20 with 4557 viewsWeWereZombies

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 14:54 - Jul 20 by jayceee

Haha. The cheap beer here would be the SAB Miller brands - Castle included, but I prefer Heineken for a slightly higher price. The expensive stuff here would be imported from all over, including the UK - and we still pay less than you for the British imports, from what I can gather.

Ah, that's true - and I spent a month driving around Ireland without ever finding anywhere that served Kilkenny - however a bar in the Karoo...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 16:40 - Jul 20 with 4516 viewsJ2BLUE

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 12:55 - Jul 20 by GunnsAirkick

I paid £5 for two thirds of a pint of Saison in The Tap House in Norwich. It was 3.8% and tasted like someone had put lavender soap in the beer (I usually like Saison beers), I now avoid that place if I can, so up its own @rse.

tasted like someone had put lavender soap in the beer

Ahh you've tried Ghost Ship...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 17:23 - Jul 20 with 4485 viewsnoggin

500ml is slightly less than a pint.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 17:28 - Jul 20 with 4479 viewsvilanovablue

Both in Paris, £20 for a half in a bar (outside) next to the Opera House and £35 for a large vodka and tonic in the George V Hotel...
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 17:42 - Jul 20 with 4463 viewsWD19

Can of warm Hofmeister in a crack den. £20 for 4 plus £80 to be let out of the door in one piece.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 18:40 - Jul 20 with 4415 viewsDeano69

£9 a pint in a Brighton hotel (company paid)

In 2010 we paid £8.50 for a small can of export Guinness and the same for half a Newcastle Brown, in China.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 18:41 - Jul 20 with 4413 viewstractorboy1978

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 12:03 - Jul 20 by SE1blue

Any time you buy a round and someone happily takes one without reciprocating later.

Bought a round for sixty quid last week (London) with workmates and only two people bought a pint back. So my 3 pints = twenty quid a pint for me.

These are not people I drink with regularly, so no opportunity for it to balance out later.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:04]

I've fallen victim to this several times. Particularly galling when somebody goes for the double Greygoose and lemonade or the Courvoisier and Coke in an establishment that takes the piss price wise anyway.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 18:44 - Jul 20 with 4403 viewsbariotneblue

Did a few gigs in Norway last year and went out with a mate of mine to celebrate our opening night. Got a little bit tipsy and forgot to pick my card up from the bar until the next morning. Must've arrived at 10:30pm and left at 1am. My tab was £200. Was extremely grateful to get back to London and pay £5 a pint!
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 18:45 - Jul 20 with 4400 viewsGlasgowBlue

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 12:31 - Jul 20 by vapour_trail

About £18 for a g&t in some sleazy dive in Hamburg.

Something similar. 60 quid for to vodka and tonics and 2 Buds in Stringfellows about ten years ago.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:01 - Jul 20 with 4374 viewstcfc

I vaguely recall paying 5 or 6 quid for a beer in Dicks T Bar in Val d'isere in the early 90's and as the night progressed the price went up. I think the last one I bought was a tenner about 3am. Probably cheaper now 25 odd years on.
Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:10 - Jul 20 with 4366 viewsMJallday

£7.40 in my local azzizi for bierre morretti

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:24 - Jul 20 with 4354 viewsLord_Lucan

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 11:56 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

It was £10 a pint at Wembley during the Olympics apparently.....

I went to Wembley at the Olympics and it was about £4.50 a bottle - which people liked to equate to £9 a pint - which it completely isn't.

The worst shock I've had was when I mistakenly went for two weeks in Penang. It was only about $100 flight from Hong Kong so I thought it would be a cheap break. I got there, ordered a pint and it was £8, I immediately nearly collapsed as I realised two weeks by the pool at that price was going to kill me - and I was wealthy then. I seriously contemplated sacrificing the hotel money and getting on a 12 hour minibus to Thailand.

In the end I found a compromise, I enjoyed the hotels happy hours and at other times poured cheap local gin into water bottles and drunk that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:55 - Jul 20 with 4329 viewsbluewein

I once had to pay for a San Miguel.

Honest to god, actually pay for the sh1t...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 20:30 - Jul 20 with 4301 viewsGlasgowBlue

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:24 - Jul 20 by Lord_Lucan

I went to Wembley at the Olympics and it was about £4.50 a bottle - which people liked to equate to £9 a pint - which it completely isn't.

The worst shock I've had was when I mistakenly went for two weeks in Penang. It was only about $100 flight from Hong Kong so I thought it would be a cheap break. I got there, ordered a pint and it was £8, I immediately nearly collapsed as I realised two weeks by the pool at that price was going to kill me - and I was wealthy then. I seriously contemplated sacrificing the hotel money and getting on a 12 hour minibus to Thailand.

In the end I found a compromise, I enjoyed the hotels happy hours and at other times poured cheap local gin into water bottles and drunk that.

Steve was making a joke at Archer's expense.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 20:37 - Jul 20 with 4295 viewsLord_Lucan

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 12:17 - Jul 20 by hype313

That round sounds remarkably like what Partridge ordered in the Linton travelodge.

A Ladyboy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 20:42 - Jul 20 with 4290 viewsLord_Lucan

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 20:30 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Steve was making a joke at Archer's expense.

Oh. I've just whoosed my arse.

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 22:11 - Jul 20 with 4235 viewsMullet

Biggest beer rip off you've had? on 19:55 - Jul 20 by bluewein

I once had to pay for a San Miguel.

Honest to god, actually pay for the sh1t...

I hope you catch yourself in your flies.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024