Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class 13:58 - Jul 20 with 9641 viewsunbelievablue

I bought an advance first class single back to deepest darkest Suffolk, because it was £1 more than standard class. It pains me.

HOWEVER, it's so much better. Chalk and cheese. I'm on TWTD, with a ghost ship, free coffee, leg room, a charge port, head rest etc.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:08 - Jul 20 with 8992 viewsSarge

Indeed, but I think that's only because standard class on Abellio is a throwback to the 1950's.

Modern train companies offer many of those things in standard class.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:09 - Jul 20 with 8980 viewsunbelievablue

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:08 - Jul 20 by Sarge

Indeed, but I think that's only because standard class on Abellio is a throwback to the 1950's.

Modern train companies offer many of those things in standard class.

I was thinking the very same. I'm experiencing what is essentially standard class on so many other railway lines.

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:19 - Jul 20 with 8927 viewsITFC_Forever

You get a charge port and headrest in standard class.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:23 - Jul 20 with 8906 viewsunbelievablue

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:19 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

You get a charge port and headrest in standard class.

Charge ports are not in every carriage are they? The last two times I noticed them in standard class, they didn't work. The head rests are hard and crap and nothing compared to those in first.

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:23 - Jul 20 with 8905 viewsSteve_M

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:09 - Jul 20 by unbelievablue

I was thinking the very same. I'm experiencing what is essentially standard class on so many other railway lines.

Standard class on the refurbished carriages is pretty good now, certainly an improvement on the knackered seats previously or the old crap trains they put on to go with rail replacement busses.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:22 - Jul 20 with 8821 viewstcblue

Hello,

Southern Trains user here, wishing he knew what being able to sit down on a train was like (regardless of class of ticket).

Greater Abellio aren't great, the mainline is very expensive, but it's still way better than a lot of the country. Not that I want this to be a race to the bottom.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:27 - Jul 20 with 8800 viewsgiant_stow

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:22 - Jul 20 by tcblue

Hello,

Southern Trains user here, wishing he knew what being able to sit down on a train was like (regardless of class of ticket).

Greater Abellio aren't great, the mainline is very expensive, but it's still way better than a lot of the country. Not that I want this to be a race to the bottom.

That whole southern dispute is still going innit?

On the overground out of LS, sometimes they use old trains with first class seats still in them, but classified as 2nd class - always a mad scamble to get one!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:29 - Jul 20 with 8790 viewsITFC_Forever

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 14:23 - Jul 20 by unbelievablue

Charge ports are not in every carriage are they? The last two times I noticed them in standard class, they didn't work. The head rests are hard and crap and nothing compared to those in first.

They were fine on the train I was on a couple of days ago.

Login to get fewer ads

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:33 - Jul 20 with 8775 viewsElderGrizzly

The only obvious difference i've seen in first vs standard is on Virgin.

'Free' hot meals for breakfast or in the evening, free wi-fi, big single seats etc

And it was always cheaper than standard when I pre-booked on my trips to and from Liverpool for work.

First on the route into Cambridge now is literally just a white cover on the headrest. That's it.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:40 - Jul 20 with 8751 viewsitfcjoe

I was going to Manchester for work once and Virgin had just launched a route or something and it was £1 to upgrade to first. Me and a colleague did it and it caused the most ridiculous amount of issues at work trying to get expenses back as they won't pay for 1st class tickets as policy.

I reckon it cost £200 of my time, before anyone else is involved (and it went through senior management) before the MD told them all they had been ridiculous and me that he'd have done the same thing and apologised for hassle it caused

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:47 - Jul 20 with 8719 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Cool story. I haven't been on a train in years. Besides, I believe my vaccinations are probably out of date by now.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:51 - Jul 20 with 8705 viewshoppy

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:33 - Jul 20 by ElderGrizzly

'Free' hot meals for breakfast or in the evening, free wi-fi, big single seats etc

And it was always cheaper than standard when I pre-booked on my trips to and from Liverpool for work.

First on the route into Cambridge now is literally just a white cover on the headrest. That's it.

I travelled 'Different Class' the other day, and it had all that, but in addition, it also had Jay Tabb polishing my shoes...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:03 - Jul 20 with 8652 viewstcblue

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:27 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

That whole southern dispute is still going innit?

On the overground out of LS, sometimes they use old trains with first class seats still in them, but classified as 2nd class - always a mad scamble to get one!

Strikes called off for now but to be honest even when the staff are relatively gruntled the service is shocking, I live near Clapham Junction now and often need to go to Brighton, it is as close to a door-to-door service as it gets in the commuter belt but even so, it's hard to imagine how any increase in commuters could be accommodated, every train is standing room only, and any incident at all at one of the main stations (East Croydon, Clapham) causes utter carnage as there's just so many trains for the track.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:07 - Jul 20 with 8638 viewsgiant_stow

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:03 - Jul 20 by tcblue

Strikes called off for now but to be honest even when the staff are relatively gruntled the service is shocking, I live near Clapham Junction now and often need to go to Brighton, it is as close to a door-to-door service as it gets in the commuter belt but even so, it's hard to imagine how any increase in commuters could be accommodated, every train is standing room only, and any incident at all at one of the main stations (East Croydon, Clapham) causes utter carnage as there's just so many trains for the track.

that sounds horrible. harsh to deal with every day.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:13 - Jul 20 with 8626 viewstcblue

Well, it's not exactly living in Kabul and very much a first world problem but it does make me feel a bit spoiled when I get on the old Anglia boneshaker for home games.

Which is ridiculous. I still have to actively remind myself that it isn't that GA is a great train company, but they're just not as bad as travelling with Southern. Even if they don't put the work experience lad on their Twitter account.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:34 - Jul 20 with 8585 viewsLord_Lucan

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:33 - Jul 20 by ElderGrizzly

When I came back from Birmingham on Virgin on my epic vim adventure I was offered some wine, I enquired if I could have a bottle and the lovely young thing apologised and advised that she could only serve it by the glass - and then proceeded to pour me three glasses.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:42 - Jul 20 with 8557 viewsITFC_Forever

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:13 - Jul 20 by tcblue

Well, it's not exactly living in Kabul and very much a first world problem but it does make me feel a bit spoiled when I get on the old Anglia boneshaker for home games.

Which is ridiculous. I still have to actively remind myself that it isn't that GA is a great train company, but they're just not as bad as travelling with Southern. Even if they don't put the work experience lad on their Twitter account.

They did the other day.

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 17:02 - Jul 20 with 8518 viewstcblue

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 16:42 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

They did the other day.

Greater Anglia?
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 17:08 - Jul 20 with 8499 viewsITFC_Forever

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 17:02 - Jul 20 by tcblue

Greater Anglia?

Yep.

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 17:58 - Jul 20 with 8429 viewstcblue

Oh. Where did they get that idea?
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 18:49 - Jul 20 with 8346 viewstcfc

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:40 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I was going to Manchester for work once and Virgin had just launched a route or something and it was £1 to upgrade to first. Me and a colleague did it and it caused the most ridiculous amount of issues at work trying to get expenses back as they won't pay for 1st class tickets as policy.

I reckon it cost £200 of my time, before anyone else is involved (and it went through senior management) before the MD told them all they had been ridiculous and me that he'd have done the same thing and apologised for hassle it caused

I used to do that same route and have the exact same problem. I think from memory I resolved it by booking myself through the train line and the class of ticket isn't shown. Not done it for a couple of years so it may have changed but worth a look for the future.
As an aside, mate of mine regularly travels into London from Brum peak for a tenner. That's fekking gauling with what we pay.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 18:59 - Jul 20 with 8319 viewspimballwizard

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:51 - Jul 20 by hoppy

I travelled 'Different Class' the other day, and it had all that, but in addition, it also had Jay Tabb polishing my shoes...

Jay had obviously got a seat then.
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 21:07 - Jul 20 with 8200 viewsLord_Lucan

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 18:49 - Jul 20 by tcfc

I used to do that same route and have the exact same problem. I think from memory I resolved it by booking myself through the train line and the class of ticket isn't shown. Not done it for a couple of years so it may have changed but worth a look for the future.
As an aside, mate of mine regularly travels into London from Brum peak for a tenner. That's fekking gauling with what we pay.

I've done ipswich to Birmingham first class for £13 on two or three occasions.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 07:22 - Jul 21 with 8056 viewsNo9

Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 15:22 - Jul 20 by tcblue

Hello,

The new rolling stock Abillio have ordered has plenty of standing rooms shown in the Archant press,open plan carriages with big open areas and incresed door sizes to 'pack-em in.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-shows-off-designs-for-its-new-trains-f

The comfort of the, now very old rolling stock, will be replaced by commuter trains
Abellio Greater Anglia First Class on 07:55 - Jul 21 with 8023 viewsTractorWood

Went first class on the Virgin East coast main line to Edinburgh a few weeks ago for the England game and I have to say, it was absolutely superb. Constant food and drinks, really comfortable recliner and big leg room with usable WiFi and a charge port. Class act.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024