Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Entrepreneurialism stopped dead 14:51 - Jul 20 with 5274 viewsStokieBlue

Ridiculous from the Tower Hamlets "enforcement officers":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherhood/5-year-old-daughter-fined-150-selling-

Maybe correct to the letter of the law but surely common sense should be used?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 14:53 - Jul 20 with 5254 viewsThePitBoss

Probably didn't use halal lemons.
Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 14:57 - Jul 20 with 5237 viewsgiant_stow

I didn't know it was a creepy guy openning those toys on youtube. sh1te.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 15:01 - Jul 20 with 5222 viewsWeekender

Bloody jobsworths who have no intelligence or social standing so like to make themselves feel important by rigorously enforcing the only tiny bit of authority they will ever have.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 15:34 - Jul 20 with 5163 viewsblue_oyster

I'm trying to work out the difference between this scenario and what used to take place in communist Russia.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 00:16 - Jul 21 with 4966 viewsconnorscontract

1. He needs to refuse to pay the fine. The CPS wouldn't support prosecution of a 5 year old.
2. He needs to report the enforcement officer to the data protection for making a video recording of a minor and collecting personal identifying information about her without due cause.
Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 00:55 - Jul 21 with 4951 viewsBinner

I should think that any bona-fide vendors at the nearby festival, having satisfied the local council of their hygiene regs compliance and then paid for the trading licence, would feel aggrieved if the council had not acted as they did.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 07:15 - Jul 21 with 4870 viewsNo9

Not sure I beleive that story.
Anyway I would be more wrrried about hygiene e.g. had she been picking her nose like most 5 year olds do.

As for the Americans - I was once served a gin & tonic in an American airport with no ice or lemon slice, when I challenged them over the missing items I was told that ice & lemon from unknown sources pose a health theat to travellers so is banned.

When I asked for the incomplete drink to be changed I was told I should have known the local laws before ordering.

All bollox
Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 08:33 - Jul 21 with 4815 viewsMJallday

too right. shes not american.

she should also be paying national insurance contributions, tax - and i hope she's put in place a workplace pension.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:37 - Jul 21 with 4771 viewsGlasgowBlue

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 00:55 - Jul 21 by Binner

I should think that any bona-fide vendors at the nearby festival, having satisfied the local council of their hygiene regs compliance and then paid for the trading licence, would feel aggrieved if the council had not acted as they did.

A quiet word with the mum would have sufficed. You're happy with a kid being reduced to tears and find one hundred and fifty quid.

Why am I not Surprised?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:41 - Jul 21 with 4752 viewsStokieBlue

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 00:55 - Jul 21 by Binner

Yes, because one little girl selling probably 20 quids worth of lemonade to willing customers is going to affect the "bona-fide" vendors so much.

Instead she's reduced to tears and scared to do anything like that again. As GB said, quiet word with the mum, don't do it again etc would have been more than enough.

I bet, if asked, not a single one of the traders would have felt aggrieved. it's a 5 year old girl not McDonald's.

SB

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:52 - Jul 21 with 4725 viewsgiant_stow

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:41 - Jul 21 by StokieBlue

Yes, because one little girl selling probably 20 quids worth of lemonade to willing customers is going to affect the "bona-fide" vendors so much.

Instead she's reduced to tears and scared to do anything like that again. As GB said, quiet word with the mum, don't do it again etc would have been more than enough.

I bet, if asked, not a single one of the traders would have felt aggrieved. it's a 5 year old girl not McDonald's.

SB

I'm wonderring why the mum / dad that must have been with her, let her take the rap? Surely the council bods should have spoken to the adult?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:00 - Jul 21 with 4704 viewsblue_oyster

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:52 - Jul 21 by giant_stow

I'm wonderring why the mum / dad that must have been with her, let her take the rap? Surely the council bods should have spoken to the adult?

She didn't, the notice was served to the author of the piece.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:07 - Jul 21 with 4692 viewsBinner

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 09:41 - Jul 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Why are you and GB even mentioning the mother? There is no mention of her in the article; there may not even be a mother as far as we know.

Secondly, any passers-by or other vendors or council enforcement officers, seeing the man and daughter standing there selling stuff will assume that the man is the vendor and being 'helped' by the child. Those bona-fide vendors will have paid, probably a lot, to do just that.

Thirdly, the article states that the child was fined. This is clearly a lie. The father was fined. I assume that he has written his lies in order to whip up some indignation.

Finally; we may quibble over whether £150 is excessive. I think it probably is but it is a fixed penalty.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:08 - Jul 21 with 4687 viewsBinner

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:00 - Jul 21 by blue_oyster

She didn't, the notice was served to the author of the piece.

Correct.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:10 - Jul 21 with 4683 viewsitfc56

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 00:16 - Jul 21 by connorscontract

1. He needs to refuse to pay the fine. The CPS wouldn't support prosecution of a 5 year old.
2. He needs to report the enforcement officer to the data protection for making a video recording of a minor and collecting personal identifying information about her without due cause.

Just for completeness - from BBC report of same story:
A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their powers sensibly.
"This clearly did not happen.
"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer and his daughter to apologise."
Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:11 - Jul 21 with 4671 viewsStokieBlue

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:07 - Jul 21 by Binner

Why are you and GB even mentioning the mother? There is no mention of her in the article; there may not even be a mother as far as we know.

Secondly, any passers-by or other vendors or council enforcement officers, seeing the man and daughter standing there selling stuff will assume that the man is the vendor and being 'helped' by the child. Those bona-fide vendors will have paid, probably a lot, to do just that.

Thirdly, the article states that the child was fined. This is clearly a lie. The father was fined. I assume that he has written his lies in order to whip up some indignation.

Finally; we may quibble over whether £150 is excessive. I think it probably is but it is a fixed penalty.

You are correct - I meant father.

Second point is completely irrelevant - it would have been obvious with two seconds investigation that the child was simply selling some lemonade.

Third point is semantics, the father was fined and the child was upset.

I think it's quite a sad world you seem to want to live in when a child cannot do something like this off their own initiative.

Interestingly, Tower Hamlets council don't agree with you:

A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their powers sensibly.
"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer and his daughter to apologise."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075

SB
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 10:12]

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:13 - Jul 21 with 4663 viewsblue_oyster

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:10 - Jul 21 by itfc56

Indeed, they retracted after the press created the publicity to protect the public from the state.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:14 - Jul 21 with 4659 viewsStokieBlue

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:10 - Jul 21 by itfc56

Thanks for posting.

This only happened today, after the report hit the press yesterday.

SB

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:17 - Jul 21 with 4646 viewsgiant_stow

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:08 - Jul 21 by Binner

Correct.

so why's the girl crying? Somewhere along the line, the child was allowed to think that she had done wrong, either by the parent or the officers.

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:50 - Jul 21 with 4598 viewsBinner

Entrepreneurialism stopped dead on 10:17 - Jul 21 by giant_stow

so why's the girl crying? Somewhere along the line, the child was allowed to think that she had done wrong, either by the parent or the officers.

Well we have the father's word on that and his word, as we know, is unreliable. But assuming that he allowed her to be so upset a good outcome would be (IMO):

1. The child is allowed to keep or spend the money she made.

2. The father should make a suitable donation to a local charity (£50?; £100?)

3. The father (professor in a business school, no less) should try to be more honest/accurate in his future blogs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024