Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 Years Free from Gambling 10:25 - Jul 21 with 5647 viewsITFC1983

I have posted a few times about my gambling issues and the close brushes I have had with relapsing.

Well today at 10:00 my phone flashed up with a message, reminding me of something that I had forgotten, today, exactly 10 years ago, I placed my last bet. (A loser as it had to be otherwise I would have kept going.)

In that message popping up today, it reminded me how low I had got and how lucky I am to be where I am today. By strange co-incidence the music that helped me through that dark time was Linkin Park and hearing of Chester last night really affected me without me realising the significance of today.

I personally came close and knew of others who couldn't continue after the devastation that gambling caused. Many cannot see a way out of the lowest point they have reached and I personally found Gamblers Anonymous to be the kick I need on my journey to abstinence.

Running out of petrol twice in 1 day because I wanted to keep enough cash to be able to gamble, losing a job, nearly ending up in jail, destroying a relationship and causing all my family so much heartache are all things I will regret to my dying day and I use that to keep me going in my constant battle to stay gamble free.

I am lucky and count my blessing that I am still here, was supported by my family and wife, I have an amazing son, have my own house, decent job and at the end of August I will be going on my first 'foreign' holiday since my son was born. I could not have afforded the holiday, let alone anything else had I still been gambling, so I am grateful that I made it.

A couple of links to my previous posts are below, including my closest shave with relapsing...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/388874/fobts-(fixed-odds-betting-terminals)--gambling-addicts-story
https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/379095/my-gambling-issues-almost-resurfaced-yesterday...
https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/328906/john-hartson--gambling-in-sport

Anyway sorry for the long "look at me" thread. I just wanted to put a simple message at the end that says.

If you are struggling with Gambling or any other addiction speak up, get help, it isn't the end and things can and will change. GA helped me massively!

To those struggling with depression or having suicidal thoughts, please speak to someone, anyone, it doesn't have to be like this and no matter what has happened there is always things that can be done.

My PM will always be open to anyone who wants to chat, rant or just have a sounding board. You are NEVER alone.

Adam

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:30 - Jul 21 with 5603 viewsSteve_M

There's no need to apologise; open and thoughtful posts like this are instructive to those of us without direct experience of the problem of addiction and hopefully helpful to others who have their own struggles.

Where are you going on holiday? Enjoy it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:33 - Jul 21 with 5587 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Well done, must be increasingly difficult to stay 'clean' these days, which such easy access and advertising etc.

Lots of promotion of gambling from posters on this board too.

Good work, keep it up!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:37 - Jul 21 with 5576 viewsITFC1983

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:30 - Jul 21 by Steve_M

There's no need to apologise; open and thoughtful posts like this are instructive to those of us without direct experience of the problem of addiction and hopefully helpful to others who have their own struggles.

Where are you going on holiday? Enjoy it.

Northern Spain, near Santander - 10 nights fly drive and truly cannot wait!

I just hope that if anyone else finds them selves in or near a position that I was in that they are confident enough to look and find the help they need to turn it back around.

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:40 - Jul 21 with 5567 viewsITFC1983

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:33 - Jul 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Well done, must be increasingly difficult to stay 'clean' these days, which such easy access and advertising etc.

Lots of promotion of gambling from posters on this board too.

Good work, keep it up!!

Yeah there is a big difference now from what the gambling industry was like when I was at my worst.

It doesn't bother me the advertising and I know how much I could lose and that is more important to me now.

I also don't have an issue with the gambling posts on here and you will often see my messages wishing others good luck, it is their choice to gamble and I just offer an olive branch if anyone is having trouble and I will always be there to help anyone who is having difficulty.

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:43 - Jul 21 with 5554 viewsBluefish

Well done Adam. Keep going

We have definitely spoke before on this and I can relate to all that you say. The day I stopped will always be the most important day of my life

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:24 - Jul 21 with 5469 viewsHeathlander

thanks Adam for the post. It's stuff like this that makes TWTD so much more than a football message board.

Brilliant news on the ten year milestone.
10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:26 - Jul 21 with 5452 viewsRyorry

Brilliant and well done to you seems a hopeless understatement!

Really take my hat off to you, you come across as an ace guy, and it's taken a helluva lot of discipline, hard work and hard thinking for you to get to where you are today (sorry if that's a bit Reggie Perrin!).

Top post, a rare "look at me" that's good to read! A pin-up, Phil/Gav?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? ðŸ¤â€

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:49 - Jul 21 with 5409 viewsITFC1983

10 Years Free from Gambling on 10:43 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

Well done Adam. Keep going

We have definitely spoke before on this and I can relate to all that you say. The day I stopped will always be the most important day of my life

Hi Truce,

Indeed we have spoken a couple of times and as even really pleased for you that you have also had the power to stop and keep it up.

All the best.

Login to get fewer ads

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:50 - Jul 21 with 5401 viewsITFC1983

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:24 - Jul 21 by Heathlander

thanks Adam for the post. It's stuff like this that makes TWTD so much more than a football message board.

Brilliant news on the ten year milestone.

Thanks Heathlander.

Appreciate it.

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:52 - Jul 21 with 5393 viewsITFC1983

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:26 - Jul 21 by Ryorry

Brilliant and well done to you seems a hopeless understatement!

Really take my hat off to you, you come across as an ace guy, and it's taken a helluva lot of discipline, hard work and hard thinking for you to get to where you are today (sorry if that's a bit Reggie Perrin!).

Top post, a rare "look at me" that's good to read! A pin-up, Phil/Gav?

Thanks Ryorry,

It took reaching my rock bottom to start climbing back up and I lost almost everything, but now everything I do get or achieve from here is further motivation to keep on this path and keep hold of it and not relapse.

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:02 - Jul 21 with 5367 viewsitfcjoe

Well done Adam, a fantastic achievement to go this long and get your life back on track.

Keep fighting the good fight and ticking off the days, months and years

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:07 - Jul 21 with 5350 viewsBluefish

10 Years Free from Gambling on 11:49 - Jul 21 by ITFC1983

Hi Truce,

Indeed we have spoken a couple of times and as even really pleased for you that you have also had the power to stop and keep it up.

All the best.

My life has reached its highest peak so far at the moment and sometimes I remind myself of how low I was and how close i was to death or jail. It is incredible to think how it can be turned around and become a blur by being open and working hard to make the change.

I have just started a new job which was a big change but has again changed my life and I am looking forwards. Everything I buy is done by saving up and I feel proud to be comfortable financially without a need to risk it all.

Life is here to be enjoyed

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:19 - Jul 21 with 5319 viewsbluefunk

Well done Adam, onwards and upwards
10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:44 - Jul 21 with 5265 viewsbaxterbasics

Great words.

I make the occasional foray into periods of gambling and always end up wishing I hadn't bothered. Thankfully I manage to keep the stakes low.

I am baffled how a government, one of the most nannying ever when it came to certain vices, was so happy to relax gambling laws like it was nothing. I hate the constant ads and sport sponsorship. Hate the easy access. Hate the online games and apps clearly designed to introduce people (and kids) to gambling.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:49 - Jul 21 with 5239 viewsThePitBoss

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:44 - Jul 21 by baxterbasics

Great words.

I make the occasional foray into periods of gambling and always end up wishing I hadn't bothered. Thankfully I manage to keep the stakes low.

I am baffled how a government, one of the most nannying ever when it came to certain vices, was so happy to relax gambling laws like it was nothing. I hate the constant ads and sport sponsorship. Hate the easy access. Hate the online games and apps clearly designed to introduce people (and kids) to gambling.

It was the Labour government you have to thank for that.
10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:57 - Jul 21 with 5217 viewsRyorry

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:49 - Jul 21 by ThePitBoss

The current Tory bunch don't seem to have any problems rushing through legislation that suits them/their vested interests tho (such as fiddling with trespass laws so that private individuals and organisations are now forced to allow surveys for fracking on their land), so they could do something about the current prolific advertising of gambling if they really wanted to. (And I agree there's too much now)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? ðŸ¤â€

10 Years Free from Gambling on 13:01 - Jul 21 with 5201 viewsbaxterbasics

10 Years Free from Gambling on 12:49 - Jul 21 by ThePitBoss

Yeah I know, I was avoiding naming in the hope of avoiding a partisan bicker-fest. As has been pointed out, the current gov haven't exactly been quick to deal with it. At least there has been some action on FOBTs.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

10 Years Free from Gambling on 13:02 - Jul 21 with 5193 viewshoppy

Well done mate. Good to hear such a positive tale - and long may it continue.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

10 Years Free from Gambling on 14:59 - Jul 21 with 5074 viewsGlasgowBlue

Great post. Always nice to see good news on here from fellow posters. Well done mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

10 Years Free from Gambling on 15:33 - Jul 21 with 5012 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

100% agree with all the positive messages.

Many congratulations - have a brilliant holiday!
on 15:45 - Jul 21 with 4991 views_

10 Years Free from Gambling on 17:08 - Jul 21 with 4894 viewsconnorscontract

Great post.

10 Years of winning every day.

Everyone messes up in some way or another in life, you've used yours as motivation to become a better person. I hope your family have told you they're proud of what you've overcome and who you have become.

I hope you really enjoy that holiday!
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 17:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024