Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Coen brothers..... 10:50 - Jul 21 with 5784 viewschristiand

they have made some terrific films over the years. Any personal favourites or recommendations out there in TWTD world?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Coen brothers..... on 10:52 - Jul 21 with 5774 viewsblue_oyster

Fargo. Never liked the TV series though. Probably because it's got Martin Freeman in it, whose total skills add up to pulling silly faces in The Office.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The Coen brothers..... on 10:53 - Jul 21 with 5765 viewschicoazul

Raising Arizona.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Coen brothers..... on 10:54 - Jul 21 with 5764 viewschristiand

The Coen brothers..... on 10:52 - Jul 21 by blue_oyster

Fargo. Never liked the TV series though. Probably because it's got Martin Freeman in it, whose total skills add up to pulling silly faces in The Office.

Yes, I liked that too - not the TV series. Have you seen Burn after reading?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Coen brothers..... on 10:55 - Jul 21 with 5757 viewsLankHenners

Raising Arizona probably just about at the top for me. Fargo and The Big Lebowski just behind.

Burn After Reading and A Serious Man are two great more recent ones (ASM in particular) that tend to get overlooked.

Edit - somehow forgot about No Country For Old Men, superb film
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 10:57]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The Coen brothers..... on 10:55 - Jul 21 with 5749 viewsblue_oyster

The Coen brothers..... on 10:54 - Jul 21 by christiand

Yes, I liked that too - not the TV series. Have you seen Burn after reading?

I have, but I didn't seem to leave any lasting impression, as I can't remember anything about it.

The Coen brothers..... on 10:55 - Jul 21 with 5747 viewsJosebadleg

No Country For Old Men or O Brother Where Art Thou?

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

The Coen brothers..... on 10:59 - Jul 21 with 5716 viewsHerbivore

Barton Fink is a good one, alongside the others mentioned.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Coen brothers..... on 11:25 - Jul 21 with 5679 viewsblue_oyster

The best films were made by Joel Coen, even though known as 'Coen Brothers' films. They didn't make the films together until years after this term was coined, curiously.

Login to get fewer ads

The Coen brothers..... on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 5664 viewsDolly2.0

O Brother Where Art Thou?

Superb, and very different from anything else (although loosely based on Homer's The Odyssey).

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

The Coen brothers..... on 11:55 - Jul 21 with 5634 viewsGogs

Fargo in my top 3 films ever. the series are good too. Martin Freeman is only in the first one, the second series with Kirsten Dunst in it was excellent. They are all stand alone series, so I'd recommend giving them another look.
The Coen brothers..... on 11:58 - Jul 21 with 5625 viewsblue_oyster

The Coen brothers..... on 11:55 - Jul 21 by Gogs

Fargo in my top 3 films ever. the series are good too. Martin Freeman is only in the first one, the second series with Kirsten Dunst in it was excellent. They are all stand alone series, so I'd recommend giving them another look.

Handy to know, thanks.

The Coen brothers..... on 12:00 - Jul 21 with 5619 viewsrexron

The big Lebowski is my favourite. Love it.

Poll: Who would you prefer as manager for Ipswich Town?

The Coen brothers..... on 12:05 - Jul 21 with 5599 viewsMullet

It's easier to weed out the ones not worth watching, which tend to be the recent ones. Burn After Reading was a bit flat for me. Inside LD was terrible. Intolerable Cruelty was more a warning than a title too.

Fargo, Big Lebowski, and Miller's Crossing are the best three out of a long body of excellent work.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Coen brothers..... on 13:48 - Jul 21 with 5542 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The Coen brothers..... on 12:05 - Jul 21 by Mullet

It's easier to weed out the ones not worth watching, which tend to be the recent ones. Burn After Reading was a bit flat for me. Inside LD was terrible. Intolerable Cruelty was more a warning than a title too.

Fargo, Big Lebowski, and Miller's Crossing are the best three out of a long body of excellent work.

don't forget Blood Simple and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Both great movies
The Coen brothers..... on 13:38 - Jul 22 with 5444 viewsWeWereZombies

The Coen brothers..... on 12:05 - Jul 21 by Mullet

Disagree completely on 'Burn', 'Intolerable' and 'Llewelyn', 'The Ladykillers' remake was, however, an awful mistake from start to finish.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Coen brothers..... on 17:10 - Jul 22 with 5371 viewsfabian_illness

Dumb and dumber and taledega nights were really funny.
The Coen brothers..... on 19:51 - Jul 22 with 5300 viewsClapham_Junction

The Coen brothers..... on 10:55 - Jul 21 by LankHenners

Raising Arizona probably just about at the top for me. Fargo and The Big Lebowski just behind.

Burn After Reading and A Serious Man are two great more recent ones (ASM in particular) that tend to get overlooked.

Edit - somehow forgot about No Country For Old Men, superb film
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 10:57]

Have to say I thought A Serious Man was one of the worst films I've ever seen at the cinema.

It was clearly a beautifully made film - the attention to detail was fantastic - but they seemed to overlook the fact that a film has to have a decent storyline.
The Coen brothers..... on 23:24 - Jul 22 with 5248 viewsWadeyBlue

All of them.

But the one that i have watched over and over and pretty much could recite the whole script is 'The Big Lebowski'

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

The Coen brothers..... on 23:27 - Jul 22 with 5245 viewsfeelingblue

The Coen brothers..... on 19:51 - Jul 22 by Clapham_Junction

Have to say I thought A Serious Man was one of the worst films I've ever seen at the cinema.

It was clearly a beautifully made film - the attention to detail was fantastic - but they seemed to overlook the fact that a film has to have a decent storyline.

A brilliant film, with a fantastic storyline. Quite subtle, though.
The Coen brothers..... on 23:54 - Jul 22 with 5226 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rubbish. He can pull silly faces in Sherlock too!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Coen brothers..... on 01:16 - Jul 23 with 5204 viewsLankHenners

The Coen brothers..... on 19:51 - Jul 22 by Clapham_Junction

Well, opinions eh?

Loved the subtlety and pathos of the gradual decline of a man whose life just goes from worse to worse, excellently performed by Michael Stuhlbarg.

Includes one of my favourite Coen Brothers shots - the camera is on the roof as you look into the clear, bright blue sky with the lip of the roof at the bottom of the shot. A ladder is placed on the side of the house and I bet you could measure it to the millimetre the ladder would lie perfectly in the centre of the frame. Beautiful.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The Coen brothers..... on 08:24 - Jul 23 with 5155 viewsMullet

The Coen brothers..... on 13:38 - Jul 22 by WeWereZombies

Disagree completely on 'Burn', 'Intolerable' and 'Llewelyn', 'The Ladykillers' remake was, however, an awful mistake from start to finish.

Ladykillers was a strange choice, but I sort of give it a pass as it was a remake so it doesn't really feel like theirs. Perhaps I shouldn't be so lenient.

Burn had some great casting and decent moments but I left the cinema feeling it missed something. My mate is a huge Dylan/Young/Americana buff and loved ILD, but I found it twee and hard to feel anything for the main character - that's usually what makes a Coen bros film for me.

Catherine Zeta Jones is appalling, apart from High Fidelity where she's the embodiment of an awful ex-girlfriend. I can't watch anything with her in and not be irritated by her. I won't go back and check that one to make sure I feel the same.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024