Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suffolk/EA words and phrases 13:42 - Jul 21 with 15088 viewsfooters

Saw another poster comment on the phrase 'jar off' recently and had a similar experience a few days ago when I described something as 'rum' to a foreign colleague. She couldn't understand I wasn't referring to a drink!

Got me thinking about words and phrases from our region. Anyone have any? Especially now since the yootman seem insistent on speaking like they're from South London... in Lowestoft.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:54 - Jul 21 with 5504 viewshoppy

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:28 - Jul 21 by Throbbe

Is that when you walk around the house wearing KJ's clothes a bit too late and she catches you when she gets home?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 17:43 - Jul 21 with 5474 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

He/she,s a rum un.
Was called "klutsy" by a few old uns when i was a boy, meaning clumsy. Not sure if it is a local saying though.
Thas a load of ol squit ba.
Gets on my wick, used by my folks a lot back in the day.

I still use these on occasion, it,s a great local dialect, it needs preserving, Suffolk is Gods county after all.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 17:59 - Jul 21 with 5468 viewsCoastalblue

Rum un or a Rum do and jarred off both made it to Essex because they're both phrases I use, my other half is Scottish and sometimes she looks at me like I'm talking another language.
My general accent is the orrible eustary English but when I'm around East Anglia visiting customers I always catch myself slipping more of a twang into my speech.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 20:11 - Jul 21 with 5440 viewsNewcyBlue

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:21 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

On the drag.

Once in the pub I said this and the bloke I was talking to didn't know what the hell I was on about. I was with DF and we both assumed it was a national term so we text a few people outside of Suffolk and they confirmed they had never heard of it before.

Since spending half of the past year in Norfuk there is a term that they use up here all the time that is new to me and that is to get wrong with someone - fall out

I use on the drag up here and do get odd looks

Get wronged up here means to get told off.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 21:31 - Jul 21 with 5403 viewsbrazil1982

Working up North I get a few funny looks when I "leave off", and take in my "packing up".
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 21:35 - Jul 21 with 5400 viewsSwansea_Blue

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:15 - Jul 21 by Throbbe

My sister in law, who is about the most cosmopolitan, well travelled person I've met only lapses into dialect at moments of great excitement.

She was trekking with friends in the Andes, and suddenly hissed in a stage whisper "LOOK, A POOMA!". Apparently she is reminded of this on at least a weekly basis.

I occasionally confuse people at work by describing something as 'on the huh'.

I'm like that now. It needs a couple of weeks back in the motherland or something unbelievably exciting (like Scuse scoring) to drag the drawl out of me these days. Worse, if I don't concentrate the occasional welsh twang or phrase pops up

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 21:47 - Jul 21 with 5394 viewsSteve_M

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 20:11 - Jul 21 by NewcyBlue

I use on the drag up here and do get odd looks

Get wronged up here means to get told off.

I didn't realise until I read this thread that 'On the drag' wasn't common parlance everywhere. I mean, unlike some dialect phrases, it's self-explanatory isn't it?

'On the huh' though is one of my favourite phrases, but I've never expected that to have a wider resonance.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 21:58]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:04 - Jul 21 with 5367 viewsNewcyBlue

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 21:47 - Jul 21 by Steve_M

I didn't realise until I read this thread that 'On the drag' wasn't common parlance everywhere. I mean, unlike some dialect phrases, it's self-explanatory isn't it?

'On the huh' though is one of my favourite phrases, but I've never expected that to have a wider resonance.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 21:58]

I always thought "rum 'un" was a nationwide phrase.

I do call Seb "buh" a fair bit, he can't be a complete Sandancer!

People often comment on how I pronounce Five (Foive), Shower, Water.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:30 - Jul 21 with 5338 viewsjaykay

shopping is shopen
yarmouth is yarmuth

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:41 - Jul 21 with 5334 viewsVic

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:29 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

I imagined to fall out was a worldwide phrase, I only used it to clarify the Norfolk term to get wrong with someone - which I had never heard before.

Edit, deleted, double post.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 22:53]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:41 - Jul 21 with 5333 viewsVic

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:29 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

I imagined to fall out was a worldwide phrase, I only used it to clarify the Norfolk term to get wrong with someone - which I had never heard before.

You'd never had a 'falling out' with someone then Lucan? Your a rummen.

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:48 - Jul 21 with 5322 viewsVic

Us a funny ol thing, oi was thinkin about this sort a thing this artanoon.

What do yew lot call those bits in the soid of the rood in country lanes where the warta runs into? You know, the bits that wreck your suspension if you drop into them too hard if you get up onto the verge when a car comes towards you!

My old dad and muther called em 'grups' pronounced in the same way you say 'put'. Is that just my family or is it a proppa Suffolk word?
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 23:17]

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 23:07 - Jul 21 with 5297 viewsTendring_Blue

I thought everyone used "on the Drag" until I went to Uni and I have been getting blank stares!

Sadly we are loosing our dialect, Londoners are taking over! North Essex was very similar to Suffolk until recently, now Harwich is the last bastion!

int is being slowly replaced with aint !!!
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 23:09 - Jul 21 with 5289 viewsTendring_Blue

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:30 - Jul 21 by jaykay

shopping is shopen
yarmouth is yarmuth

Who can be seriously bothered to say Shop"ing"!?

Ing is impossible to say.
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 06:44 - Jul 22 with 5222 viewsjontysnut

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:36 - Jul 21 by Decoy_Octopus

"Clappers of Hell" is another one pronounced "Clappers a' hell"

"He was gorn like the clappers a' hell down that road"

When I was a kid we used the verb 'to hern' as in " he come herning around that corner at a hellanor speed". Also 'orff' and ' oower'
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:16 - Jul 24 with 5121 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 22:48 - Jul 21 by Vic

Us a funny ol thing, oi was thinkin about this sort a thing this artanoon.

What do yew lot call those bits in the soid of the rood in country lanes where the warta runs into? You know, the bits that wreck your suspension if you drop into them too hard if you get up onto the verge when a car comes towards you!

My old dad and muther called em 'grups' pronounced in the same way you say 'put'. Is that just my family or is it a proppa Suffolk word?
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 23:17]

I was going to mention 'Grups' as well.. But thought it was more of a farming thing as my parents used it to talk about holes in the road or in fields when driving..

i.e. 'the wheel got stuck in the groop' or 'watch out for all the groops on the way to peasnhall'
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:24 - Jul 24 with 5112 viewsFenboyBlue

"Goob". I'd never heard the word until I saw the film "The Goob" set in the Fens recently.
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:33 - Jul 24 with 5101 viewsfooters

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:24 - Jul 24 by FenboyBlue

"Goob". I'd never heard the word until I saw the film "The Goob" set in the Fens recently.

What's a goob, Fenboy? I had it down as a pea or bean but think that was an American phrase.

BTW, thanks a lot for all the replies. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it's so important to keep these local words and phrases alive as long as possible. Language is democratic: we shape it and it shapes us, so sharing it is vital (not to mention interesting!).

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:39 - Jul 24 with 5081 viewshype313

To throw something.

"Huss At"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:41 - Jul 24 with 5076 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:39 - Jul 24 by hype313

To throw something.

"Huss At"

I'm more familiar with

'Hull us that'

when discussing throwing something
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:51 - Jul 24 with 5061 viewstcblue

Shew as a phantom past tense of show, whilst I understand that it is part of local history, really does sound like you're talking with a bit of a simpleton.....I appreciate this may not be a popular point of view but I felt the need to shew you all how I felt
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024