Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suffolk/EA words and phrases 13:42 - Jul 21 with 15175 viewsfooters

Saw another poster comment on the phrase 'jar off' recently and had a similar experience a few days ago when I described something as 'rum' to a foreign colleague. She couldn't understand I wasn't referring to a drink!

Got me thinking about words and phrases from our region. Anyone have any? Especially now since the yootman seem insistent on speaking like they're from South London... in Lowestoft.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 13:54 - Jul 21 with 9598 viewsDecoy_Octopus

One I say that annoys my wife is "hull" for throw. Picked that up from both my father and grandfather. That and when I say "Toob", or "Coob" instead of Tube and Cube and "Toosdy"

People always think its weird when I say things like Driv, for Drive, Writ for wrote and Sin for seen etc. Another one that confuses people is "Gorn"
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:06 - Jul 21 with 9576 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I had many an argument with Microsoft Word during University as it kept telling me that "Shew" wasn't a word..

Living in the midlands I say plenty of things which get some funny looks, most comonly when I refer to something/or someone as being "a bit rum" which apparently isn't a thing outside of Suffolk.
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:15 - Jul 21 with 9560 viewsThrobbe

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 13:54 - Jul 21 by Decoy_Octopus

One I say that annoys my wife is "hull" for throw. Picked that up from both my father and grandfather. That and when I say "Toob", or "Coob" instead of Tube and Cube and "Toosdy"

People always think its weird when I say things like Driv, for Drive, Writ for wrote and Sin for seen etc. Another one that confuses people is "Gorn"

My sister in law, who is about the most cosmopolitan, well travelled person I've met only lapses into dialect at moments of great excitement.

She was trekking with friends in the Andes, and suddenly hissed in a stage whisper "LOOK, A POOMA!". Apparently she is reminded of this on at least a weekly basis.

I occasionally confuse people at work by describing something as 'on the huh'.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:33 - Jul 21 with 9528 viewsfooters

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:15 - Jul 21 by Throbbe

My sister in law, who is about the most cosmopolitan, well travelled person I've met only lapses into dialect at moments of great excitement.

She was trekking with friends in the Andes, and suddenly hissed in a stage whisper "LOOK, A POOMA!". Apparently she is reminded of this on at least a weekly basis.

I occasionally confuse people at work by describing something as 'on the huh'.

I'm pretty much the same as your sister. My accent has all but gone, aside from when I've had a few or just lapse into it, as happened this week.

Slightly unrelated but I remember my nanny telling some old wives tales about nettles being created by lightning and toadstools the same. Never heard it anywhere else!

There seems to be a real loss of local lingo in modern times. Who ever would have thought an American would use the word 'w@nker', for example?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:34 - Jul 21 with 9521 viewshoppy

There's that phrase "Hi SIs, shall we goan have a quickie before mum and dad come hoom?" that I think is probably more of a Norfolk thing than EA as a whole...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:40 - Jul 21 with 9508 viewsfooters

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:34 - Jul 21 by hoppy

There's that phrase "Hi SIs, shall we goan have a quickie before mum and dad come hoom?" that I think is probably more of a Norfolk thing than EA as a whole...

What I do for my sister is more an act of charity than anything else. That's what happens when you grow up on the border.

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:01 - Jul 21 with 9478 viewsBlueBadger

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 14:06 - Jul 21 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I had many an argument with Microsoft Word during University as it kept telling me that "Shew" wasn't a word..

Living in the midlands I say plenty of things which get some funny looks, most comonly when I refer to something/or someone as being "a bit rum" which apparently isn't a thing outside of Suffolk.

I remeber using the phrase 'cor t'hell' on my first week at university and getting some strange glances. Nothing however, will beat yer classic Essex man saying 'where yew from ven mayte? 'cos yew gotta bitta va accent there' without any sense of irony.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:10 - Jul 21 with 9461 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:01 - Jul 21 by BlueBadger

I remeber using the phrase 'cor t'hell' on my first week at university and getting some strange glances. Nothing however, will beat yer classic Essex man saying 'where yew from ven mayte? 'cos yew gotta bitta va accent there' without any sense of irony.

I use "Cor t' hell" a lot myself. and "buh" as in "Alright buh" Another one my grandfather and father used that I picked up that not many others round here use is "Woe b'tide ya"
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 15:24]
Login to get fewer ads

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:11 - Jul 21 with 9455 viewsLankHenners

Being 'on the drag' and describing something as 'on the huh' are two phrases I get bemused looks for from time to time.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:13 - Jul 21 with 9448 viewsflimflam

I sometimes throw a cor d heck which one of my grandads favs.

Suttin, Nuttin are others and also driv as someone said further up..

Also referred to a wasp as a jasper in the office which bemused everyone and noone seemed to have heard of a billy witch either.

Oh and buh, I use that loads. Weird how you dont think you have an accent until you speak to people from out the area then realise your proper Saaaafolk
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 15:17]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:14 - Jul 21 with 9433 viewsfooters

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:11 - Jul 21 by LankHenners

Being 'on the drag' and describing something as 'on the huh' are two phrases I get bemused looks for from time to time.

What's being on the drag, Henners? On the huh I know, as my grandad's building efforts often are...

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:15 - Jul 21 with 9427 viewsflimflam

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:14 - Jul 21 by footers

What's being on the drag, Henners? On the huh I know, as my grandad's building efforts often are...

When your late for something..

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:16 - Jul 21 with 9417 viewshoppy

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:15 - Jul 21 by flimflam

When your late for something..

As well as 'being' on the drag, you can also sometimes be 'caught on the drag'...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:16 - Jul 21 with 9418 viewsLankHenners

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:14 - Jul 21 by footers

Being a bit late for something. As in 'dragging behind' I assume. Although thinking about it there's something telling me it might have come from something to do with the tides. Think it's predominantly a Norfolk thing but brought up in Suffolk I heard it from older relatives.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:21 - Jul 21 with 9400 viewsLord_Lucan

On the drag.

Once in the pub I said this and the bloke I was talking to didn't know what the hell I was on about. I was with DF and we both assumed it was a national term so we text a few people outside of Suffolk and they confirmed they had never heard of it before.

Since spending half of the past year in Norfuk there is a term that they use up here all the time that is new to me and that is to get wrong with someone - fall out

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:27 - Jul 21 with 9371 viewsflimflam

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:21 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

On the drag.

Once in the pub I said this and the bloke I was talking to didn't know what the hell I was on about. I was with DF and we both assumed it was a national term so we text a few people outside of Suffolk and they confirmed they had never heard of it before.

Since spending half of the past year in Norfuk there is a term that they use up here all the time that is new to me and that is to get wrong with someone - fall out

My mum always used to say that, like

If you don't stop doing that then we are gonna fall out

'marnt do that' was another of hers
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 15:28]

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:29 - Jul 21 with 9353 viewsLord_Lucan

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:27 - Jul 21 by flimflam

My mum always used to say that, like

If you don't stop doing that then we are gonna fall out

'marnt do that' was another of hers
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 15:28]

I imagined to fall out was a worldwide phrase, I only used it to clarify the Norfolk term to get wrong with someone - which I had never heard before.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:32 - Jul 21 with 9347 viewsGeoffSentence

Roarsun

I think it is more of a Norfolk colloquialism, as in "he Went Roarsun Down The Rud"

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:32 - Jul 21 with 9345 viewsflimflam

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:29 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

I imagined to fall out was a worldwide phrase, I only used it to clarify the Norfolk term to get wrong with someone - which I had never heard before.

Yep I read your post back to front

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:34 - Jul 21 with 9345 viewsartsbossbeard

My rather soulless, corporate lifestyle has knocked all essence of an accent out of my system completely.

It does, however, come back with a vengeance when we have lads trips away and we all seem to go back to our Suffolk roots.

When you emphatically don't agree with what someone has just said: "touw" pronounced like "cow" with a mildly softer, exaggerated ending.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:39 - Jul 21 with 9331 viewsLord_Lucan

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:34 - Jul 21 by artsbossbeard

My rather soulless, corporate lifestyle has knocked all essence of an accent out of my system completely.

It does, however, come back with a vengeance when we have lads trips away and we all seem to go back to our Suffolk roots.

When you emphatically don't agree with what someone has just said: "touw" pronounced like "cow" with a mildly softer, exaggerated ending.

Yes, on days out it can be a real Suffolk fest can't it. Even I drop into Suffolk twang I'm not even from the fecking place.

Out of our lot I think the one with the most natural Suffolk twang is MH

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:44 - Jul 21 with 9303 viewsartsbossbeard

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:39 - Jul 21 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, on days out it can be a real Suffolk fest can't it. Even I drop into Suffolk twang I'm not even from the fecking place.

Out of our lot I think the one with the most natural Suffolk twang is MH

Agreed, he's from Whitton, don't forget.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:28 - Jul 21 with 9209 viewsThrobbe

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 15:16 - Jul 21 by hoppy

As well as 'being' on the drag, you can also sometimes be 'caught on the drag'...

Is that when you walk around the house wearing KJ's clothes a bit too late and she catches you when she gets home?

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:36 - Jul 21 with 9184 viewsDecoy_Octopus

"Clappers of Hell" is another one pronounced "Clappers a' hell"

"He was gorn like the clappers a' hell down that road"
Suffolk/EA words and phrases on 16:50 - Jul 21 with 9146 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

On the drag is 100% Ipswich, no one in London even know what it meant when I used to say it. Came up in am email once.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024