Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. 22:57 - Jul 22 with 13891 viewsSwailsey

For people to emerge calling out Mick.

It's going to be a long season.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:51 - Jul 23 with 1419 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:45 - Jul 23 by Freddies_Ears

I talked at length with an agent who was at the game due to his links with Gillingham. He knew nearly all of our players, and represents a couple in the academy, and is a very wel-known figure in the game (sorry, no names).

At half time he said Downes is a massive talent, and he was amazed at his lack of experience given how well he was playing.

Seems an odd thing for an agent to say if they're familiar with us and the season we had last season (he'd only need to look at how Andre fared) to realise why chucking another young CM in after Bishop, Dozzell, Grant, McDonnell etc all struggled for various reasons was unlikely.

Not doubting you either btw, just don't really understand his thinking unless Downes is the Essex Zizou or something.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:58 - Jul 23 with 1412 viewsFreddies_Ears

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:48 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

It was a very confident performance, wasn't it? I think that's what really stood out from him yesterday. Sorry wasn't able to talk yesterday at the whistle, wanted to get the TWTD report done before doing the radio piece and then post-match Mick interview.

No worries - catch you soon no doubt (Tuesday maybe - we're in the home end to maintain our purchase history record there).
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:00 - Jul 23 with 1409 viewsFreddies_Ears

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:51 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Seems an odd thing for an agent to say if they're familiar with us and the season we had last season (he'd only need to look at how Andre fared) to realise why chucking another young CM in after Bishop, Dozzell, Grant, McDonnell etc all struggled for various reasons was unlikely.

Not doubting you either btw, just don't really understand his thinking unless Downes is the Essex Zizou or something.

What he meant was that the performance belied the inexperience. A rookie, playing like an experienced pro. Sorry, I wasnt quite clear!
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:01 - Jul 23 with 1408 viewsolimar

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:38 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

He's actually played more at this level than in League One, but I think the point you make is right. I think the most he's scored at this level was eight with Forest - although I think he was in and out of the side at a time when they had about eight decent strikers - and he had one very high goalscoring season for Preston in League One. I'd certainly see him as more a Murphy in terms of goals than a David Johnson, for example. But if he doesn't score a load of goals himself, those around him ought to.

Yeah, in reality hes actually had even more time at this level than Murphy has had in the PL. Judging by his style and the way he was received at his previous clubs, I imagine he will be quite popular, but if we dont sign anyone else to play up front (of equal or better pedigree), then I can see some fans being critical that he doesnt score enough.
Maybe he might just really fit into our team and score 25!
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:08 - Jul 23 with 1405 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:01 - Jul 23 by olimar

Yeah, in reality hes actually had even more time at this level than Murphy has had in the PL. Judging by his style and the way he was received at his previous clubs, I imagine he will be quite popular, but if we dont sign anyone else to play up front (of equal or better pedigree), then I can see some fans being critical that he doesnt score enough.
Maybe he might just really fit into our team and score 25!

Has certainly hit the ground running in terms of goals and I think he'll probably be disappointed not to have scored yesterday - might have won a penalty just before half-time as well - although I thought he was comparatively quiet. Does seem a player popular with his old fans, regardless of goals. I can certainly see the Murphy parallels in terms of being a striker who often might create more for his team-mates than he scores himself.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:20 - Jul 23 with 1380 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:00 - Jul 23 by Freddies_Ears

What he meant was that the performance belied the inexperience. A rookie, playing like an experienced pro. Sorry, I wasnt quite clear!

Fair enough that makes more sense and is always good to hear!

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:20 - Jul 23 with 1378 viewsipswich4life

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:03 - Jul 23 by muccletonjoe

2 choices - either get behind the team and make the best of what we have or spend the next 9 months bitching about mcCarthy- which ultimately bores everyone rigid after last season.

Are you sure it's not the football on display that bores everone ridgid?
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:24 - Jul 23 with 1376 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:08 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Has certainly hit the ground running in terms of goals and I think he'll probably be disappointed not to have scored yesterday - might have won a penalty just before half-time as well - although I thought he was comparatively quiet. Does seem a player popular with his old fans, regardless of goals. I can certainly see the Murphy parallels in terms of being a striker who often might create more for his team-mates than he scores himself.

I think unfortunately he'll never escape the Murphy comparisons and treatment. It might be as a victim of the manager (similar to Sears), it might be that he's just not prolific enough, then it might when he is too prolific we rely on him.

Not that any of that really matters if he comes in and contributes. I've no doubt he's got the attributes, but unlike Murphy I don't know if he has the belief to keep going or the cool head to rile without being riled himself.

Certainly an interesting signing, especially if we somehow didn't give him someone else to share the responsibility with. I still can't imagine we won't sign someone, even if it's not the broadly popular transfer many are hoping for.

One thing Garner will do for us is make us a threat from set pieces again. With deliveries from Rowe and Celina I think the defenders will be expected to weigh in with a handful each.

Login to get fewer ads

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:38 - Jul 23 with 1354 viewsTownly

"a striker who often might create more for his team-mates than he scores himself."

Strikers are supposed to strike, midfielders and wide men create.

I remain slightly concerned. He might well become a crowd favourite but will it be at the expense of the goals for column.

We desperately need a proper hit-man.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:54 - Jul 23 with 1331 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 16:24 - Jul 23 by Mullet

I think unfortunately he'll never escape the Murphy comparisons and treatment. It might be as a victim of the manager (similar to Sears), it might be that he's just not prolific enough, then it might when he is too prolific we rely on him.

Not that any of that really matters if he comes in and contributes. I've no doubt he's got the attributes, but unlike Murphy I don't know if he has the belief to keep going or the cool head to rile without being riled himself.

Certainly an interesting signing, especially if we somehow didn't give him someone else to share the responsibility with. I still can't imagine we won't sign someone, even if it's not the broadly popular transfer many are hoping for.

One thing Garner will do for us is make us a threat from set pieces again. With deliveries from Rowe and Celina I think the defenders will be expected to weigh in with a handful each.

Hopefully, should have been one from a corner yesterday, Garner first then Sears. Smith and Chambers ought to score five-ish each a season with the right deliveries. I think Smith and Berra actually got 13 in the play-off season, on top of howeever many Murphy scored from set pieces.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024