Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. 22:57 - Jul 22 with 13892 viewsSwailsey

For people to emerge calling out Mick.

It's going to be a long season.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:33 - Jul 23 with 5678 viewschristiand

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Fees don't really matter if it's the right striker. I'm not sure we'd find one for free now though, and we're likely forced into a loan again. It'd be nice to think we could spend a little and get a lot, maybe the DJ or Stewart type signings but most of MM's best signings have had to be frees on decent contracts.

Scunthorpe and teams of that ilk might be worth raiding. I know Walsall were the team the season before and none of those players really lit things up at this level, but they did ok. Enough to suggest it's about them moving here and fitting here more than anything else.

You and I know Mullet that a raid into league 1 is going to cost us more than £1m, especially if that player is a key member of their squad. Ollie Watkins £1.8m from Exeter City from league 2. Will just show us how serious ME is really backing MM. Although the business has been decent, ME hasn't really spent large amounts, there certainly seems a determined approach to not spend over a £1m for a player. Bottom line is good strikers cost money.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:34 - Jul 23 with 5678 viewsTrequartista

I think its more down to the worst season in over 50 years rather than a pre season defeat. He should be gone and the longer he stays the worse it will get

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:37 - Jul 23 with 5673 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:33 - Jul 23 by christiand

You and I know Mullet that a raid into league 1 is going to cost us more than £1m, especially if that player is a key member of their squad. Ollie Watkins £1.8m from Exeter City from league 2. Will just show us how serious ME is really backing MM. Although the business has been decent, ME hasn't really spent large amounts, there certainly seems a determined approach to not spend over a £1m for a player. Bottom line is good strikers cost money.

Watkins had the added POTY baubles and Football League awards and I agree to an extent but in today's market what is £1.8m exactly?

I have no idea if there's been a ceiling on fees or just fees for certain players. I think if we could have got say Lawrence for £3m we'd have spent it. But therein lies the problem, they rarely exist and you need to be on hand to get them asap.

The only advantage we have is when clubs that size desperately need to sell, and Exeter clearly had an auction going on such a player.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:51 - Jul 23 with 5643 viewshowdonblue

Well it was inevitable as Evans should have relieved him of his duties last year !

With the money Evans spent on transfers since that season we finished in the play offs Evans never gave McCarthy the support that season deserved.

And the following 3/4 seasons after that McCarthy has just bumbled along with it !

He deserves all he gets for putting up with that IMO
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:55 - Jul 23 with 5639 viewsSWGF

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

I would guess starting with 4-4-2 in every game so far suggests that's what he views as the starting system. Personnel-wise I think we'll get more of an idea at Charlton, although with a few who probably won't be considered for the first game, Huws and Adeyemi most likely.

Interesting re Garner, I see him as the Murphy replacement, albeit not precisely the same, but playing that role. I would guess McGoldrick will be the other striker all things being equal.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Think it's pretty obvious that if Garner is fit, he'll play every game just to give us a presence up front especially if McG is his partner.

My issue is who's scoring the goals. I just don't see it at the moment. Garner is a 8-10 goals, Sears the same, as with McG (as he doesn't spend enough time in goal-scoring areas). Our midfield, historically, doesn't score them and last year they dried-up from defence. Huws will add a few. Celina?

We need another striker and/or change tactics/strategy. We just seem shot-shy.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:13 - Jul 23 with 5622 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:55 - Jul 23 by SWGF

Think it's pretty obvious that if Garner is fit, he'll play every game just to give us a presence up front especially if McG is his partner.

My issue is who's scoring the goals. I just don't see it at the moment. Garner is a 8-10 goals, Sears the same, as with McG (as he doesn't spend enough time in goal-scoring areas). Our midfield, historically, doesn't score them and last year they dried-up from defence. Huws will add a few. Celina?

Definitely need another striker but worth remembering McGoldrick and Sears both had prolific periods playing alongside Murphy. The midfield looks to have more goals in it than at any time under Mick with Huws, Adeyemi, Celina and Danny Rowe, who I can see scoring a few. Whether that proves to be the case time will tell.

Agree re centre-halves scoring, was an important source of goals a couple of seasons back but less so in the last couple of years. Celina's set pieces will play a big part on that front.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:25 - Jul 23 with 5600 viewsSWGF

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:13 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Definitely need another striker but worth remembering McGoldrick and Sears both had prolific periods playing alongside Murphy. The midfield looks to have more goals in it than at any time under Mick with Huws, Adeyemi, Celina and Danny Rowe, who I can see scoring a few. Whether that proves to be the case time will tell.

Agree re centre-halves scoring, was an important source of goals a couple of seasons back but less so in the last couple of years. Celina's set pieces will play a big part on that front.

Issue is that, as a team, we don't create/shoot enough. When Murphy had his freak season, he was creating a lot himself.

Last year, we had the fewest shots per match, in the league and that included Rotherham et al.

Yesterday it stood out that rather than shoot, our midfield would take a touch or three.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:30 - Jul 23 with 5585 viewsdirtyboy

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:25 - Jul 23 by SWGF

Issue is that, as a team, we don't create/shoot enough. When Murphy had his freak season, he was creating a lot himself.

Last year, we had the fewest shots per match, in the league and that included Rotherham et al.

Yesterday it stood out that rather than shoot, our midfield would take a touch or three.

If we're trying to play and more pleasing to watch, surely we have to give Mick some credit.

Personnel wise, that's back in the hands of Evans.
Login to get fewer ads

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:33 - Jul 23 with 5580 viewstractorboy1978

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 by Bluebell

"My concern is that he doesn't know his best team or formation. He seemed to say we were looking at 4-4-2 at the start of pre season."

Surely that is what pre-season is for? With several new players, he has to find out their best positions and which formation suits the whole team.

I never take any notice of pre-season and never go to the games. To my mind they are nothing games where all the players are given a chance to show their fitness and how they gel together.

The game on 5th August is the most important of the new season where we will see who Mick favours and what they can all do.

I can't wait!

To an extent, yes. It's something we never really got on top of last season though for me. I know injuries did not help but it felt like we were looking for something that worked pretty much all season. The season we nearly made it we had a side which picked itself with a clear way of playing and there is a lot to say for that.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:43 - Jul 23 with 5563 viewsBlueBadger

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:23 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

He likes a tackle, passes it around confidently and yesterday showed he wasn't afraid to bring the ball forward on occasion. As Mick said yesterday, an all-round central midfielder. Got outmuscled a couple of times but he's 18 and playing in one of his first senior games.

Should we be thinking 'a bit like Stephen Gerrard when he first emerged', that sort of thing?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:48 - Jul 23 with 5556 viewsTerry_Nutkins

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:11 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Not sure he can be blamed for that! While negativity after a pre-season friendly defeat is inevitable (and almost always overstated), I thought we were very good in the first half, albeit without scoring which we should have done, and with a couple of lapses towards the end of the half.

Thought the way we kept the ball for long spells was heartening. Downes impressed, as a lot of people have said, Celina is clearly a talent. Second half was a bit of a non-event, we'd started to get going again before the subs when it became a bit of a different game.

This is all much too reasonable and fair Phil! We've lost a game which 8 times out of 10 we would probably win on balance but we havent so we must rip up the management and playing squad immediately based on a meaningless result!!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:53 - Jul 23 with 5542 viewsHerbivore

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:33 - Jul 23 by christiand

I don't think we'll be spending big money on a striker who is likely to be 4th choice. It's all well and good wanting options but we can only play 11 players at anyone time and it's more or less nailed on that Garner and McGoldrick will be our first choice partnership with Sears as an option from the bench. We need another option for sure but there's no way we're going to be shelling out a seven figure sum for a squad player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:53 - Jul 23 with 5543 viewsdalianwasexciting

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:33 - Jul 23 by tractorboy1978

To an extent, yes. It's something we never really got on top of last season though for me. I know injuries did not help but it felt like we were looking for something that worked pretty much all season. The season we nearly made it we had a side which picked itself with a clear way of playing and there is a lot to say for that.

I am concerned about the defence, I am sure that our club captain will get a place for every game he is fit for. So the key is which formation we play, I personally would prefer a Smith/Webster CB partnership and a pair of full backs who can go forward, Kenlock and Iorfa being a personal preference. That of course means either 4 or 3 in midfield, so does MM go for a diamond? Narrow wide men? It is a concern about goals, but I maintain that this is a situation borne about by chance creation rather than our strikers. Didz is the key to unlock the door and I do not believe a proper striker - more in the Eric Gates mould.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:17 - Jul 23 with 5521 viewsSWGF

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:30 - Jul 23 by dirtyboy

If we're trying to play and more pleasing to watch, surely we have to give Mick some credit.

Personnel wise, that's back in the hands of Evans.

There was nothing particularly pleasing yesterday apart from Flynn's performance.

As Steve has highlighted elsewhere, we just don't seem to have a particular style or plan. That has come from trying to match every single team we played last season. We have no identity other than whacking it long and hoping something transpires. I'm not convinced that once points are at stake and the manager looks at the opposition's teamsheet, that'll change.

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:19 - Jul 23 with 5516 viewschristiand

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:53 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

I don't think we'll be spending big money on a striker who is likely to be 4th choice. It's all well and good wanting options but we can only play 11 players at anyone time and it's more or less nailed on that Garner and McGoldrick will be our first choice partnership with Sears as an option from the bench. We need another option for sure but there's no way we're going to be shelling out a seven figure sum for a squad player.

Might as well have kept Moore then. If club want to do something you'd need 4 good strikers at this level. Think we have 3 decent ones, but that 4th one needs to be just as good if not better to keep that competition for places high.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:26 - Jul 23 with 5500 viewsHerbivore

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:19 - Jul 23 by christiand

Might as well have kept Moore then. If club want to do something you'd need 4 good strikers at this level. Think we have 3 decent ones, but that 4th one needs to be just as good if not better to keep that competition for places high.

Moore is clearly not ready to make a meaningful contribution at this level so him going out on loan makes sense. There is however a market for players in between the £20k we paid for Moore and the millions people want us to spend on a player who is not likely to be first choice and that market includes some lower league punts and some quality loan options.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:33 - Jul 23 with 5493 viewsRegencyBlue

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:06 - Jul 22 by pointofblue

If we go one down during a limp performance against Birmingham the atmosphere at Portman Road will be toxic.

We certainly need a good start to the season or at least do enough to demonstrate things are at least slowly turning around. More of the same and PR will not be a pleasant place to be!
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:37 - Jul 23 with 5432 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:43 - Jul 23 by BlueBadger

Should we be thinking 'a bit like Stephen Gerrard when he first emerged', that sort of thing?

Probably not as not really one for raking crossfield passes from what I've seen and I don't really see him as such a regular goalscorer, although I've seen him break into the area more often in the U23s, one game last year in particular in which he scored twice.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:41 - Jul 23 with 5426 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:25 - Jul 23 by SWGF

I thought we created a fair few chances in the first half yesterday, would certainly have been happy enough on that front had it been a proper match, although obviously we should have taken one or two of them. Don't think there was a reluctance to shoot either, I can recall quite a few efforts from distance, although again without really testing the keeper enough.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:45 - Jul 23 with 5417 viewsFreddies_Ears

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:23 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

He likes a tackle, passes it around confidently and yesterday showed he wasn't afraid to bring the ball forward on occasion. As Mick said yesterday, an all-round central midfielder. Got outmuscled a couple of times but he's 18 and playing in one of his first senior games.

I talked at length with an agent who was at the game due to his links with Gillingham. He knew nearly all of our players, and represents a couple in the academy, and is a very wel-known figure in the game (sorry, no names).

At half time he said Downes is a massive talent, and he was amazed at his lack of experience given how well he was playing.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:46 - Jul 23 with 5410 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 11:17 - Jul 23 by SWGF

There was nothing particularly pleasing yesterday apart from Flynn's performance.

As Steve has highlighted elsewhere, we just don't seem to have a particular style or plan. That has come from trying to match every single team we played last season. We have no identity other than whacking it long and hoping something transpires. I'm not convinced that once points are at stake and the manager looks at the opposition's teamsheet, that'll change.

Have say I think that's a very harsh assessment of yesterday, the first half certainly. Thought there was much less of a tendency to go long and in the first half hour we kept the ball well and Gillingham hardly got a kick.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:48 - Jul 23 with 5404 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 14:45 - Jul 23 by Freddies_Ears

I talked at length with an agent who was at the game due to his links with Gillingham. He knew nearly all of our players, and represents a couple in the academy, and is a very wel-known figure in the game (sorry, no names).

At half time he said Downes is a massive talent, and he was amazed at his lack of experience given how well he was playing.

It was a very confident performance, wasn't it? I think that's what really stood out from him yesterday. Sorry wasn't able to talk yesterday at the whistle, wanted to get the TWTD report done before doing the radio piece and then post-match Mick interview.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:00 - Jul 23 with 5381 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 10:48 - Jul 23 by Terry_Nutkins

This is all much too reasonable and fair Phil! We've lost a game which 8 times out of 10 we would probably win on balance but we havent so we must rip up the management and playing squad immediately based on a meaningless result!!

Mick's reaction to pre-season defeats is usually fairly telling. There was one last year where he was absolutely seething, Cambridge I think it was where a goal was gifted in the final couple of minutes after what was otherwise a decent enough performance. Yesterday he was as upbeat as he'd be if we'd won comfortably, so I think was happy enough. The general consensus among the press - Suffolk and Kent-based - was that the result was not a reflection of the game overall, certainly not the first half - maybe first half hour more accurately - in which there was a bit of a gulf.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:32 - Jul 23 with 5343 viewsolimar

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:55 - Jul 23 by SWGF

Without wanting to be judging Garner at this early stage, I do wonder that he might be unfairly seen as some kind of goalscoring messiah, simply because we couldnt score last year, waited so long to finally bring in a forward and because we spent an unusually large amount of money on him.
If you look at his record, it is very similar to Murphys career- albeit one division lower. I think some might be looking for him to step up in a way that he hasnt managed so far, whereas hes more likely to be the 8-10 goal player that you refer to. That said, I think he might be quite popular regardless.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:38 - Jul 23 with 5339 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 15:32 - Jul 23 by olimar

Without wanting to be judging Garner at this early stage, I do wonder that he might be unfairly seen as some kind of goalscoring messiah, simply because we couldnt score last year, waited so long to finally bring in a forward and because we spent an unusually large amount of money on him.
If you look at his record, it is very similar to Murphys career- albeit one division lower. I think some might be looking for him to step up in a way that he hasnt managed so far, whereas hes more likely to be the 8-10 goal player that you refer to. That said, I think he might be quite popular regardless.

He's actually played more at this level than in League One, but I think the point you make is right. I think the most he's scored at this level was eight with Forest - although I think he was in and out of the side at a time when they had about eight decent strikers - and he had one very high goalscoring season for Preston in League One. I'd certainly see him as more a Murphy in terms of goals than a David Johnson, for example. But if he doesn't score a load of goals himself, those around him ought to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024