Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Schindler's list 00:14 - Jul 23 with 1343 viewsgtsb1966

Watched this for the first time ever tonight. What a film. What I couldn't fathom was Amon Goth as evil as the film portrayed. Surely no human could be like him until I read the write up on him and realised it was sadly true. He shot his cook because the soup was too hot ffs. His wife killed herself in the 80's. Fascinating but disturbing reading. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amon_Göth
Schindler's list on 03:04 - Jul 23 with 1286 viewsIllinoisblue

It's the line about him quitting being a Nazi to go help his family's publishing business for a year that gets me. Didn't work out so goes back to exterminating thousands of people. Amazing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Schindler's list on 09:34 - Jul 23 with 1178 viewsbrogansnose

I think it was Gitta Sereny who described this as the 'banality of evil' where atrocious acts and behaviour are seen as simple everyday things. There are many witness reports and accounts of Nazi's being wonderful fathers, loving animals and not hurting a fly...................and then they went to work.

I prefer Shoah which is very long and the director , Lansman, interviews train drivers who took Jews to the extermination camps, survivors and guards. Nothing is' dramatic' but its incredibly haunting and moving.
Schindler's list on 10:49 - Jul 23 with 1125 viewsGuthrum

In the post-Nazi era, with the hindsight of the Holocaust, it's very easy to forget that fierce anti-semitism was extremely common in Germany - plus much of the rest of Europe and the USA - going back centuries.

Less than 50 years before the events portrayed in the film, you had the Dreyfus Affair in France (in which a respectable army officer was wrongly condemned largely on anti-jewish sentiment) and pogroms in Russia during which thousands of jews were murdered. All this on a foundation going back to the Middle Ages, with riots and massacres inspired by the blood libel. The entire jewish population was expelled from England in 1290, only being officially allowed to return under Cromwell 365 years later.

When the dehumanising of a whole group of people is so deeply ingrained, then it is hardly surprising that their lives are little valued. Especially amongst those who have absorbed Nietzschean myths in which their own racial superiority absolves themselves of responsibility for "lesser" beings.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024