Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil: Hugill update!? 17:46 - Jul 23 with 12296 viewsKarlNorw

Do you think we are going head-2-head with Brums/Sunderland(?) for him?
Willing to pay 3-4m....
Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:06 - Jul 23 with 3118 viewschristiand

Phil: Hugill update!? on 20:51 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Stewart had been one of the best strikers in the league for 2 or 3 years mate, he was genuinely proven at our level. No chance of us signing someone of that ilk these days with prices as they are. As for who I'd go for, I have no idea to be honest. I just feel that sometimes our fans are more concerned by the size of the fee rather than the quality of the player.

Marcus Stewart had been at Bristol Rovers Appearances: 171 Goals:57 when he signed for Huddersfield Town in 1996 Appearances: 133 goals: 58. Overall that's 304 appearances and 115 goals that's not an amazing strike record for a forward, but Ipswich still put up the money and took a risk. I'm not saying I want us to go out and spend Marcus Stewart type of money 'now', but make a signing that makes us sit up and get excited even if it's £2m. I'd certainly think for us to spend that amount of money we mean business instead of rummaging around for freebies, loans or cheap punts!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:25 - Jul 23 with 3086 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 20:32 - Jul 23 by ITFCBlues

Joe Mason? Not seen that name banded about at all?

Was a name mentioned to me as a player who had been considered but apparently not available, seems Wolves want to keep him.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:27 - Jul 23 with 3074 viewsHerbivore

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:06 - Jul 23 by christiand

Marcus Stewart had been at Bristol Rovers Appearances: 171 Goals:57 when he signed for Huddersfield Town in 1996 Appearances: 133 goals: 58. Overall that's 304 appearances and 115 goals that's not an amazing strike record for a forward, but Ipswich still put up the money and took a risk. I'm not saying I want us to go out and spend Marcus Stewart type of money 'now', but make a signing that makes us sit up and get excited even if it's £2m. I'd certainly think for us to spend that amount of money we mean business instead of rummaging around for freebies, loans or cheap punts!

Fair dos but that attitude sums up that it seems to be the size of the fee that fans are worried about as opposed to actual quality. I can't get on board with that view especially, we spent the best part of 5 years under ME spending comparatively big money and it got us nowhere, it's the quality and adding to the overall make up of the squad that's most important.

As for Stewart, he was proven quality at this level and not really a punt. He was very highly thought of and Huddersfield fans couldn't believe they'd sold their best player to a rival at that point in the season. They subsequently missed out on the play offs. He was a quality player in this league, amongst the best in fact. It wasn't really comparable to spending a big fee on someone like Hugill who was the joint 14th top scorer in the league last season alongside numerous other players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:28 - Jul 23 with 3073 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 20:36 - Jul 23 by KarlNorw

Well, lets see....

I believe we need two new strikers- both a Mason type and a Murphy type.... and I actually think MM thinks the same (he's more or less always had 5 strikers available)

And given McG injury record and Morris being to raw....and the transfer window.....

One permanent and one PL striker in on loan (Sam Gallagher?)

Think MM will look to start the season with four, maybe add another on loan depending on how the first month of the season progresses, injuries or form-depending.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:42 - Jul 23 with 3037 viewsKarlNorw

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:28 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Think MM will look to start the season with four, maybe add another on loan depending on how the first month of the season progresses, injuries or form-depending.

Are we looking abroad in this window? Looking at transfer fees in UK atm. we can "compete" more in the European market...with a bigger risk of course....

Remember the Knudsen deal as a big surprise to all of us....
Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:52 - Jul 23 with 3002 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:42 - Jul 23 by KarlNorw

Are we looking abroad in this window? Looking at transfer fees in UK atm. we can "compete" more in the European market...with a bigger risk of course....

Remember the Knudsen deal as a big surprise to all of us....

That is a very good point. There may well be someone in a similar position to Knudsen (or Sears for that matter) with a relatively cheap release clause in their contract. I'm sure agents are making any such situations well known.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 22:29 - Jul 23 with 2927 viewsKarlNorw

Phil: Hugill update!? on 21:52 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

That is a very good point. There may well be someone in a similar position to Knudsen (or Sears for that matter) with a relatively cheap release clause in their contract. I'm sure agents are making any such situations well known.

Thanks for your feedback. Let's see what's happens in the coming weeks.

The current squad is undoubtedly IMO to weak to compete for a PO place - We need two new strikers, another winger and a direct replacement for Berra.

Having said that - very encouraged by the academy players coming through.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 08:24 - Jul 24 with 2800 viewsKeaneish

Phil: Hugill update!? on 19:10 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Whilst we still need another striker, on the whole our transfer business has been very decent.

Agreed but its no way near enough. I think we can all agree the squad is looking very thin at the moment.
Given what we've signed, i don't see that squad anywhere above mid-table unless Mick galvanises them into playing above and beyond their current level.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:20 - Jul 24 with 2755 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 22:29 - Jul 23 by KarlNorw

Thanks for your feedback. Let's see what's happens in the coming weeks.

The current squad is undoubtedly IMO to weak to compete for a PO place - We need two new strikers, another winger and a direct replacement for Berra.

Having said that - very encouraged by the academy players coming through.

I think MM believes the centre-halves he has got can cover for Berra's departure,Smith presuambly being the regular starter on the left. Iorfa's starting at centre-half on Tuesday so will be interesting to see how he gets on, he's viewed as a right-back/centre-half. Agree that another winger will be something else they're looking to add.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:34 - Jul 24 with 2733 viewsSuperfrans

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:20 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

I think MM believes the centre-halves he has got can cover for Berra's departure,Smith presuambly being the regular starter on the left. Iorfa's starting at centre-half on Tuesday so will be interesting to see how he gets on, he's viewed as a right-back/centre-half. Agree that another winger will be something else they're looking to add.

So you think it'll be Smith and either Chambers or Webster? Or will we start the season with a back 3/5, do you think?

Must admit, I assumed we start with back 4 of
Spence Chambers Webster Knudsen/Kenlock?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:45 - Jul 24 with 2715 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by Superfrans

So you think it'll be Smith and either Chambers or Webster? Or will we start the season with a back 3/5, do you think?

I think it's pretty clear that 4-4-2 is Mick's preferred system at present, we've started with it every game in pre-season. You might be right with the central pairing as things progress, but I would guess Smith will probably be an initial starter in part because both Webster, who played his first 30 minutes of pre-season on Saturday, and Chambers, who was playing only his second game, might be a little lacking fitness-wise. I assume Webster is starting on the left of the centre at Colchester as Iorfa is starting as a centre-half.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:56 - Jul 24 with 2678 viewsdirtyboy

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by Superfrans

I think there's a very good chance Chambers may not start and it'll be Webster and Smith.

Iorfa is probably being played at CB in the next game just to see whether he's considered adequate cover in that position and Mick can decide whether we have enough bodies that can do a job across the back. Spence and Iorfa are both right backs but can both play in the centre, Spence more comfortable in a back 3, Iorfa I suspect as a 2.

Chambers can cover RB of which you already have 2 in that position, Knudsen can go left of centre to cover Smith, Kenlock is LB and Ndyam is the cover there. Actually, now i've typed it out, I think as long as Iorfa looks okay in the centre, we'll be fine at the back.

The middle is packed with options, but lacks a bit of depth, unless this season we're expecting more from the youngsters, Dozzell, Downes and Bishop.

Still feel we're short of a winger and a striker, but it's all dependent on injuries again. The first choice team feels decent enough, it's if we lose personnel things look awkward.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:02 - Jul 24 with 2666 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 09:56 - Jul 24 by dirtyboy

I think there's a very good chance Chambers may not start and it'll be Webster and Smith.

Iorfa is probably being played at CB in the next game just to see whether he's considered adequate cover in that position and Mick can decide whether we have enough bodies that can do a job across the back. Spence and Iorfa are both right backs but can both play in the centre, Spence more comfortable in a back 3, Iorfa I suspect as a 2.

Chambers can cover RB of which you already have 2 in that position, Knudsen can go left of centre to cover Smith, Kenlock is LB and Ndyam is the cover there. Actually, now i've typed it out, I think as long as Iorfa looks okay in the centre, we'll be fine at the back.

The middle is packed with options, but lacks a bit of depth, unless this season we're expecting more from the youngsters, Dozzell, Downes and Bishop.

Still feel we're short of a winger and a striker, but it's all dependent on injuries again. The first choice team feels decent enough, it's if we lose personnel things look awkward.

Difficult to drop the captain and I would guess Webster is a little behind him fitness-wise at the moment. Chambers-Smith to start against Birmingham is my guess, Webster to get a game against Luton, maybe alongside Iorfa.

I agree, I think there are numbers enough at the back given the versatility of the squad. Skuse can also be added to the potential right-backs, although I think I can only remember him playing there once since he came here. Played there a lot at Bristol City.

I think we're covered in the middle of midfield and think MM sees Downes, Dozzell and Nydam all playing a part and hopefully Hyam and Bishop won't have such injury hit seasons.

Agree, a striker and a winger are what are needed and I think MM and his staff see things similarly. Might be one or two further additions later on in August depending on how the first month has progressed/interest in our own players etc.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:24 - Jul 24 with 2606 viewsdirtyboy

Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:02 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

Difficult to drop the captain and I would guess Webster is a little behind him fitness-wise at the moment. Chambers-Smith to start against Birmingham is my guess, Webster to get a game against Luton, maybe alongside Iorfa.

I agree, I think there are numbers enough at the back given the versatility of the squad. Skuse can also be added to the potential right-backs, although I think I can only remember him playing there once since he came here. Played there a lot at Bristol City.

I think we're covered in the middle of midfield and think MM sees Downes, Dozzell and Nydam all playing a part and hopefully Hyam and Bishop won't have such injury hit seasons.

Agree, a striker and a winger are what are needed and I think MM and his staff see things similarly. Might be one or two further additions later on in August depending on how the first month has progressed/interest in our own players etc.

On paper, you'd probably say Webster and Chambers, but given he too admitted he needed balance left/right foot centre backs, he now can't really avoid not having Smith can he?

Webster and Chambers fighting for position unless he goes 3 at the back, which I don't think is too likely with current personnel, who knows though?

Webster's fitness is what'll prevent him making the first line up though, he'll surely have to be back in the team when fit? He's certainly the most comfortable on the ball in there!
Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 2581 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:24 - Jul 24 by dirtyboy

On paper, you'd probably say Webster and Chambers, but given he too admitted he needed balance left/right foot centre backs, he now can't really avoid not having Smith can he?

Webster and Chambers fighting for position unless he goes 3 at the back, which I don't think is too likely with current personnel, who knows though?

Webster's fitness is what'll prevent him making the first line up though, he'll surely have to be back in the team when fit? He's certainly the most comfortable on the ball in there!

He is, but the least experienced and probably the most error-prone on last year's form. Good that there are options anyway.
Phil: Hugill update!? on 12:03 - Jul 24 with 2508 viewsKeaneish

Phil: Hugill update!? on 10:38 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

He is, but the least experienced and probably the most error-prone on last year's form. Good that there are options anyway.

Agreed. Mick needs a solid start. It'll be Smith and Chambers, tried and tested and loads of experience. I think a lot of that Gillingham starting 11 will start against Brum.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024