Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two good wind power stories today 23:47 - Jul 23 with 4163 viewsStokieBlue

Statoil have started rolling out their floating turbines which are much cheaper and easier to position:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699979

Drop in electricity prices for both land and sea turbines:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/23/drop-in-wind-energy-costs-ad

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Two good wind power stories today on 08:49 - Jul 24 with 4073 viewsBluetaff

Floating turbines are the way forward however the infrastructure cost for the cables in a purely dynamic environment are massive - that and the fact that if/when the market recovers in offshore oil and gas, the resources available to work these windfarms will increase substantially.

Blog: The National Conundrum

Two good wind power stories today on 09:16 - Jul 24 with 4056 viewsNo9

A short video of the Italian HLV mating the turbines in a Fjord before towing to O/S Peterhead.

http://www.oedigital.com/component/k2/item/15684-video-heavy-lift-on-floating-wi

Just fot the record the HLV is 198 m long
Two good wind power stories today on 09:22 - Jul 24 with 4049 viewsBrightonBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 09:16 - Jul 24 by No9

A short video of the Italian HLV mating the turbines in a Fjord before towing to O/S Peterhead.

http://www.oedigital.com/component/k2/item/15684-video-heavy-lift-on-floating-wi

As a matter of interest do you happen to work in this sector?
Two good wind power stories today on 09:27 - Jul 24 with 4039 viewsNewcyBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 09:16 - Jul 24 by No9

Reckon the Wind Farm stuff is what I need to start looking into. Results for the Mates / Masters written exams are in September, when I will be on a big blue one! So will have to wait.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Two good wind power stories today on 09:30 - Jul 24 with 4037 viewsStokieBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 08:49 - Jul 24 by Bluetaff

Floating turbines are the way forward however the infrastructure cost for the cables in a purely dynamic environment are massive - that and the fact that if/when the market recovers in offshore oil and gas, the resources available to work these windfarms will increase substantially.

Why do you think the market will recover for offshore oil and gas?

The Saudi's have basically made a limit to the oil price by fighting the frakkers into making huge efficiency savings. They now make a good profit at 60 USD a barrel and can keep the price there if they wish.

SB

Two good wind power stories today on 10:05 - Jul 24 with 3986 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 09:22 - Jul 24 by BrightonBlue

As a matter of interest do you happen to work in this sector?

Why?
Two good wind power stories today on 10:13 - Jul 24 with 3979 viewsBluetaff

Two good wind power stories today on 09:30 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

The Saudi's have basically made a limit to the oil price by fighting the frakkers into making huge efficiency savings. They now make a good profit at 60 USD a barrel and can keep the price there if they wish.

SB

The EPCI market has cut it's cloth offshore and whereas previously they required $80+ to be profitable, it is now much lower. Vessel utilisation (as there are now fewer available) will start to show an increase in the day rates which will put pressure on the renewables market as that's where many of the vessels are operating.

Shale in the US works on profitability of around $40+ but that is WTI. OPEC (and for that read Saudi) really need around $60-$70 but below $100 with Nigeria, Libya and Iran refusing to meet the OPEC production target's the Saudi control is waning

The issue at the moment is that we have huge reserves, although in the last month this has now been dipped into - small but very green shoots of recovery are being seen in offshore development, no idea where it will end up at though! Can't see $100+ again

Two good wind power stories today on 10:14 - Jul 24 with 3977 viewsBrightonBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 10:05 - Jul 24 by No9

Why?

I do. Specifically renewables ESDD/ESIA etc... Always interested in potential leads/links/insights
Login to get fewer ads

Two good wind power stories today on 10:16 - Jul 24 with 3965 viewsStokieBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 10:13 - Jul 24 by Bluetaff

The EPCI market has cut it's cloth offshore and whereas previously they required $80+ to be profitable, it is now much lower. Vessel utilisation (as there are now fewer available) will start to show an increase in the day rates which will put pressure on the renewables market as that's where many of the vessels are operating.

Shale in the US works on profitability of around $40+ but that is WTI. OPEC (and for that read Saudi) really need around $60-$70 but below $100 with Nigeria, Libya and Iran refusing to meet the OPEC production target's the Saudi control is waning

The issue at the moment is that we have huge reserves, although in the last month this has now been dipped into - small but very green shoots of recovery are being seen in offshore development, no idea where it will end up at though! Can't see $100+ again

Agree with that, good post.

I don't think 100+ will be seen anytime soon, there is no need as if OPEC cut production then the frakkers can just ramp it up.

I thought deep-water wells like in Brazil and the Gulf of Mexico were more like 90+ USD?

SB

Two good wind power stories today on 10:19 - Jul 24 with 3955 viewsBluetaff

Two good wind power stories today on 10:16 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

Agree with that, good post.

I don't think 100+ will be seen anytime soon, there is no need as if OPEC cut production then the frakkers can just ramp it up.

I thought deep-water wells like in Brazil and the Gulf of Mexico were more like 90+ USD?

SB

They were, West of Shetland deep water was around $80 but we have been forced down some pretty aggressive cost cutting routes - some necessary, many scary!

Vessel day rates are down by as much as 75% in some areas but as utilisation increases so will those rates. What we need now is stability and for it not to spiral out of control as they did before!

Two good wind power stories today on 10:19 - Jul 24 with 3957 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 09:30 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

SB

& the Iranians can make profit on Oil at circa $10 pb + it come to Europe via pipeline saving shipping costs & time
Two good wind power stories today on 10:21 - Jul 24 with 3952 viewsElderGrizzly

I was in Brighton at the weekend and there are 116 going up off the coast there. Enough energy produced to power half the county apparently.

Scale is immense and they are currently housing the people working on it on an old cruise ship moored near the wind farm too, to allow them to save time getting to work!

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2017/03/15/windfarm-continues-to-take-shape-a

Also, I think the world's biggest windfarm off the Essex coast isn't there? I see it weekly on the hold into London City as we circle off Southend
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 10:23]
Two good wind power stories today on 10:31 - Jul 24 with 3915 viewsSteve_M

Two good wind power stories today on 10:21 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

I was in Brighton at the weekend and there are 116 going up off the coast there. Enough energy produced to power half the county apparently.

Scale is immense and they are currently housing the people working on it on an old cruise ship moored near the wind farm too, to allow them to save time getting to work!

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2017/03/15/windfarm-continues-to-take-shape-a

Also, I think the world's biggest windfarm off the Essex coast isn't there? I see it weekly on the hold into London City as we circle off Southend
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 10:23]

London Array: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Array

Not sure it is definitively the world's largest even if WIki says it is. It is impressive from the air had a great view of that (and then Southend) coming into City the other week.

For all the moaning about the cost of the Renewable Obligation, it's played a part in supporting manufacturers of wind turbines in particular to the point that they are now cost effective onshore without subsidy and heading towards that point offshore.

I'm curiously to see the detail behind today's press releases on distributed generation. I got irritated this morning when Today referred to it as selling electricity 'to the national grid'.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Two good wind power stories today on 10:33 - Jul 24 with 3912 viewsStokieBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 10:31 - Jul 24 by Steve_M

Not sure it is definitively the world's largest even if WIki says it is. It is impressive from the air had a great view of that (and then Southend) coming into City the other week.

For all the moaning about the cost of the Renewable Obligation, it's played a part in supporting manufacturers of wind turbines in particular to the point that they are now cost effective onshore without subsidy and heading towards that point offshore.

I'm curiously to see the detail behind today's press releases on distributed generation. I got irritated this morning when Today referred to it as selling electricity 'to the national grid'.

Isn't this another case (much like house building) where a nationalised company producing wind turbines using a break-even cost model would be good for the country?

Cheaper power, jobs, apprenticeships for the young.

Much better use of resources than renationalising old industries and better than buying from abroad.

SB

Two good wind power stories today on 10:33 - Jul 24 with 3906 viewsNo9

The question here is are we about to be hit with electric rationing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

The story would be news were it not for the fact that batterie have been hawked around for a few years now - all coming from outside the UK & at a cost.
Two good wind power stories today on 10:36 - Jul 24 with 3902 viewsBluetaff

Two good wind power stories today on 10:33 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

Isn't this another case (much like house building) where a nationalised company producing wind turbines using a break-even cost model would be good for the country?

Much better use of resources than renationalising old industries and better than buying from abroad.

SB

We are currently working on a massive development offshore Lincolnshire but the operator is a Danish company. Local content rules keeps many of the skills local but from talking to them we are about to hit a quiet period soon with fewer developments.

Two good wind power stories today on 10:40 - Jul 24 with 3893 viewsStokieBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 10:33 - Jul 24 by No9

The question here is are we about to be hit with electric rationing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

The story would be news were it not for the fact that batterie have been hawked around for a few years now - all coming from outside the UK & at a cost.

Where in that article does it say anything at all about electricity rationing?

Getting beyond silly now don't you think?

SB

Two good wind power stories today on 10:45 - Jul 24 with 3881 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 10:33 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

SB

The UK doesn't have a turbine manufacturer & the Continetals move ahead at a pace.
To get involved now would mean the sort of investments the UK governemtn & city would not embrace.
The UK government have put ALL their eggs in the Seimens basket & the UK now has no installation contractors.

Your ideas are good but there is not the political will to do it
Two good wind power stories today on 10:51 - Jul 24 with 3861 viewsBluetaff

Two good wind power stories today on 10:45 - Jul 24 by No9

The UK doesn't have a turbine manufacturer & the Continetals move ahead at a pace.
To get involved now would mean the sort of investments the UK governemtn & city would not embrace.
The UK government have put ALL their eggs in the Seimens basket & the UK now has no installation contractors.

Your ideas are good but there is not the political will to do it

We have installation contractors...

Two good wind power stories today on 10:52 - Jul 24 with 3857 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 10:40 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

Where in that article does it say anything at all about electricity rationing?

Getting beyond silly now don't you think?

SB

You didn't see the ? at the end then.

We should avoid it because of the new cables to France & Scandinavia but the costs Mr Cameron locked us into are not sustainable becuase we already have energy poverty & the cartel that is the grid will not work for noting
Two good wind power stories today on 11:20 - Jul 24 with 3825 viewsBergholtBru

https://www.linkedin.com/company/future-renewables-eco-plc
This is a company that I have an investment in. The costs of renewable energy are coming down making it more economical to use. It is also "brexit proof", in as much as we can move towards "self-sufficiency" with regard to wind farms, for obvious reasons.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Two good wind power stories today on 11:24 - Jul 24 with 3813 viewsNewcyBlue

Two good wind power stories today on 10:31 - Jul 24 by Steve_M

I'll try for a timelapse when I pass that on my way into London Gateway in September.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Two good wind power stories today on 11:26 - Jul 24 with 3809 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 11:20 - Jul 24 by BergholtBru

https://www.linkedin.com/company/future-renewables-eco-plc
This is a company that I have an investment in. The costs of renewable energy are coming down making it more economical to use. It is also "brexit proof", in as much as we can move towards "self-sufficiency" with regard to wind farms, for obvious reasons.

On the contrary the UK is almost entirely reliant on EU companies for wind
Two good wind power stories today on 11:43 - Jul 24 with 3783 viewsBergholtBru

Two good wind power stories today on 11:26 - Jul 24 by No9

On the contrary the UK is almost entirely reliant on EU companies for wind

Yes, but do we have to remain so No 9? There is plenty of wind in this country and to build up our renewable resourses would seem preferable than looking abroad for non-renewable energy.
This is not a pro/anti brexit thread, but the fact remains that we are leaving the EU and must plan forward accordingly and wind farms would appear to be to be an area where we can supply ourselves given investment.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Two good wind power stories today on 12:25 - Jul 24 with 3722 viewsNo9

Two good wind power stories today on 11:43 - Jul 24 by BergholtBru

Yes, but do we have to remain so No 9? There is plenty of wind in this country and to build up our renewable resourses would seem preferable than looking abroad for non-renewable energy.
This is not a pro/anti brexit thread, but the fact remains that we are leaving the EU and must plan forward accordingly and wind farms would appear to be to be an area where we can supply ourselves given investment.

I agree there is plenty of wind for renewable energy generation.
We presently do not have the capacity to do it ourselves either in terms of engineers or capable contractors.
The money needed to invest is unlikely to come now as catch up will be very expensive and the current tax regime is not positive toward R&D + training.

Wind farms generally are planned several years in advance due to the long lead time for critical components.

The East Anglai WF which will be the largest O/S wind farm in the world commenced planning and procurement circa 2102 and will be built & operated by the Spanish Co. Ibadrola.

All the major players are Non UK in origin
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024