Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking at the squad.... 09:57 - Jul 24 with 6117 viewsunstableblue

And I feel there are positives, albeit I would have Emmanuel, and I just hope Knudsen is seen as the back-up to Kenlock.

Tommy smith simply has to step up and have a dominant season.

Is Spence good enough? I think so. But again a new experienced RB would have been preferred.

Where I think we still have major question marks is midfield and up front.

I love sears and mcgoldrick - but have they got enough gaols in them I'm not so sure. Perhaps the attacks success relies on Mick changing style, with more service on the floor and through midfield. I fear this can never be so - but we can dream.

As for midfield we seem to have a plethora of forward looking midfielders - but is Huws the ball owning playmaker we have desperately lacked?!? Probably not. I think he's more a final third midfielder. We need a modern day Magilton or at the very least a Holland - someone to replace Skuse who remains for me the missing link. Flattering to deceive, neither dominating and winning back ball, or threading the killer pass.

I hope I'm made to eat my hat on both our manager and midfield 'general'.

COYB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Looking at the squad.... on 10:22 - Jul 24 with 6058 viewsBasuco

On Saturday Knudsen was a lot better than Kenlock, in fact Myles completely forgot to mark Wagstaff and while the goal was very well taken, if he had been marked or closed down it would have been different. On Saturdays showing Jonas will start the season at left back unless Kenlock had an off day of course. But it is still very early and plenty of time to get going yet.
Looking at the squad.... on 10:30 - Jul 24 with 6037 viewsNo9

Midfield has been problem for far too long.
Many fans can see that but MM & TC seem oblivious to those problems.
Looking at the squad.... on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 6013 viewsCaptMickMills

Looking at the squad.... on 10:30 - Jul 24 by No9

Not sure fair to say MM & TC oblivious to midfield problems as brought in 2 new central midfielders. Whether they are capable of coaching attractive style if football is a different matter. The jury is still out. Last time MM tried changing style of play he quickly reverted to type following heavy defeat at Reading.
Looking at the squad.... on 10:48 - Jul 24 with 5988 viewsNo9

Looking at the squad.... on 10:38 - Jul 24 by CaptMickMills

Not sure fair to say MM & TC oblivious to midfield problems as brought in 2 new central midfielders. Whether they are capable of coaching attractive style if football is a different matter. The jury is still out. Last time MM tried changing style of play he quickly reverted to type following heavy defeat at Reading.

Town finished the season getting a midfield lesson they had. had several times over the season.

Bringing in new blood will only work if the obstacles to progress are removed.
Looking at the squad.... on 10:53 - Jul 24 with 5970 viewsSteve_M

We have signed i reasonably experienced right back.

I think Chambers and Webster should probably be the starting partnership at central defence, Knudsen and SMith on the left side together is too limited on the ball. And it will be Knudsen starting the season, Kenlock was poor on Saturday, losing his man three times in a short period of time.

There are more questions about the best set up for midfield and forwards at the moment though. We've made good signings which give more balance to the squad than last season but we're still lacking a little.

A few thoughts on today by Steve_M 22 Jul 2017 19:30
Yes, it's pre-season and the result is of little real importance and we were severely lacking in central midfielders - Skuse, Huws, Adeyemi are probably going to be the three who play there most -- but a few things stood out.

The main one is that our biggest failing as a side is nothing to do with hoofing the ball or even individual players but the lack of a clear system and sense of purpose as a side. Too much of what we do feels improvised rather than instinctive; the clarity of approach seen in 2012-13's rearguard effort or the Murphy and McGoldrick partnership in the first half of 2014-15 has yet to be replicated despite the various approaches McCarthy has tried since.

In the first half today we lined up in a 4-4-2, midfield of Celina, Bro, Downs and Ward. At times it worked very well and we played the ball around quite nicely at times, Spence and Ward in particular linked up effectively and the latter looked more effective as a winger than he has for a while. When we didn't play down the right though, everything got rather bogged down in the middle, the tendency to over-play things becoming stronger as the half wore on. We should still have been ahead, Garner and Sears failed to make the most of good opportunities.

For all the criticism of Sears being played wide, he didn't show anything today to suggest he should be played as a central striker either, as ever he worked hard but largely ineffectively. I'm more and more convinced that he's better wide in a 4-3-3.

That said, the switch to 4-3-3 after half-time was a bit bizarre, the front two rows left very spread out and too far away from each other. It was pretty poor stuff as the tempo slowed right down, another recurring theme. At one point we even failed to bother crossing a free kick in, preferring to pass it around aimlessly before losing the ball.

And then we went behind, Lee Martin who looked every bit the waste of money we all remember - late challenges, blasting a free kick well out of play, all mixed with some excellent touches -- went down very easily under a challenge from Chambers (who, frankly should have known better) and Eaves converted the penalty easily.

That was about it for the match, an excellent shot from Celina which came back off the post with the keeper beaten, mass substitutions, a similarly good shot from Wagstaff that beat Bart and a headed consolation from Rowe.

Some other points:
- Left-back: Knudsen is clearly going to be number one scapegoat this season, frustrating on the ball and pretty poor in possession today and yet much more reliable defensively than Kenlock who lost his man three times in the short-time he was on the pitch. The second Gillingham goal came from one of them. Mick will start with Jonas but it will leave a weakness in possession.

- Defence. If we want to play passing football, today's first-half line up won't work. Smith and Knudsen next to each other is too slow in possession, both needing too long to assess options. Given Jonas will start, then Chambers and Webster in the middle would be my preference. We were sloppy at the back throughout today, especially after the first goal so think we should play most of the next two games with the side Mick intends to start in a fortnight.

- Flynn Downes. His performance certainly made the trip worthwhile, did simple things well and almost always played the ball to team mates as well as putting in a lot of effort. That recycling possession simply still stands out a mile in our midfield is a fairly big indictment of Mick and this squad.

- Wingers. As mentioned above, Ward looked pretty effective on the right wing in the first half, Celina despite his evident skill a bit less so. We didn't get the ball to him quickly and he had a lot of players around him. - we'll need to work out how to utilise him effectively. Rowe looked good when he came on too, he had more space after multiple substitutions but has a natural tendency to run at opponents. Maybe an option to bring on against tiring opponents if we aren't going to start both him and Celina.

Match highlight: Tommy Smith dumping Lee Martin on his arse.

Two weeks and two matches to go before Birmingham, I'm more optimistic that a stronger midfield will make the side look a good deal better and yet the nagging doubt remains that we'll just be lacking a bit. We really need to keep to a preferred formation for most matches and let players get comfortable with it and each other. It worked in the Autumn of 2014-15 when we had out best spell under MM in a 4-3-3; we just need to do something similar in terms of set-up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Looking at the squad.... on 10:56 - Jul 24 with 5952 viewsRIPbobby

Interesting that there is no number 9 named. Does that mean that a purchase to fill that void is soon to be named.
Looking at the squad.... on 11:07 - Jul 24 with 5898 viewstextbackup

I really liked what I saw in spence, was it purely because it wasn't Chmabers playing there(?) I'm not sure, but I liked his energy

I like chambers in his CB role, but does get done a few times which is a worry, hopefully Tommy grabs that left spot and makes himself undroppable

For too long midfield has been pedestrian and predictable, when we've played anyone with some clout we've been totally dominated and overrun in there, massive call for MM if he continues with Skuse if others show they can do more than carry the water. (Will he see that even if it happens tho?!)

We all know what we are getting with mcgoldrick, and we all know at best it's for 20 games a season, Sears may find shooting boots with the pressure of seeing JoeyG in the squad.

For me tho it has to be about these young lads getting game time, we aren't going up, however blue the glasses are we just aren't, but to waste time putting unwanted Bru in the squad or team ahead of downes doz etc just isn't going to please anyone.

If MM plays them boys more than he doesn't (even if he's playing them his way) he'll still get a bit of credibility back from me (not that he'll care either way)

Gonna be a looong season ahead

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

No, it means Garner.... on 11:10 - Jul 24 with 5887 viewsBloots

Looking at the squad.... on 10:56 - Jul 24 by RIPbobby

Interesting that there is no number 9 named. Does that mean that a purchase to fill that void is soon to be named.

...wanted 14.

If the squad numbers actually meant anything we'd have one of Webster or Chambers playing in a midfield with Bishop, Shuse and Celina.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

Oblivious......? on 11:12 - Jul 24 with 5869 viewsBloots

Looking at the squad.... on 10:30 - Jul 24 by No9

....so oblivious that they have dumped our three worst midfielders?

OK.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Looking at the squad.... on 13:49 - Jul 24 with 5746 viewsunstableblue

Looking at the squad.... on 10:22 - Jul 24 by Basuco

On Saturday Knudsen was a lot better than Kenlock, in fact Myles completely forgot to mark Wagstaff and while the goal was very well taken, if he had been marked or closed down it would have been different. On Saturdays showing Jonas will start the season at left back unless Kenlock had an off day of course. But it is still very early and plenty of time to get going yet.

Both Chambers at right back and Knudsen at left back have caused the team significant problems during game over the last few seasons.

I quite like Jonas, but he and chambo in those positions are not the answer.

Skuse being overrun (as another poster points out) in midfield and not seizing games, especially whenever we come across stronger midfields, is a key issue, that I doubt will be resolved.

Squad numbers seem to suggest spence not at right back, and knudsen at left.

But what do I know?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Looking at the squad.... on 13:56 - Jul 24 with 5730 viewsitfcjoe

I appreciate it was only one game on Saturday, but Kenlock's defending was so woeful there is no way he can start ahead of Knudsen

Kenlock is much better going forward, but he's much less likely to create a goal than he is to give one away with his defending

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking at the squad.... on 14:00 - Jul 24 with 5712 viewsKieran_Knows

Looking at the squad.... on 13:56 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

I appreciate it was only one game on Saturday, but Kenlock's defending was so woeful there is no way he can start ahead of Knudsen

Kenlock is much better going forward, but he's much less likely to create a goal than he is to give one away with his defending

See the first half against Forest (last game of season). Kenlock was caught all over the place in that first half. Still, he's young and learning, so another season with the same amount of games will stand him in good stead.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Looking at the squad.... on 20:52 - Jul 24 with 5598 viewsbraveblue

Looking at the squad.... on 10:38 - Jul 24 by CaptMickMills

Yes but will they okay them. Or will Skuse play whenever available as he a proper bloke.
Looking at the squad.... on 21:02 - Jul 24 with 5576 viewsfeelingblue

If we wanted more gaols, we should have kept Paul Taylor.

If we are playing a four at the back, it must not include Chambers. If 5 no problem.

We have a bit more quality in midfield.

We have plenty enough goals in that squad if we get it down and pass. If we hoof it we will just be a slightly better version of the last couple of seasons.
Looking at the squad.... on 21:27 - Jul 24 with 5517 viewsnshearman1

Looking at the squad.... on 21:02 - Jul 24 by feelingblue

If we are playing a four at the back, it must not include Chambers. If 5 no problem.

We have plenty enough goals in that squad if we get it down and pass. If we hoof it we will just be a slightly better version of the last couple of seasons.

The truth is that if all our CBs are fit, Chambers, proper good bloke that he is, should not get in the team. But MM will not take the really hard decision and drop his club captain. I have argued for many moons now that we need a midfield general to build the team around. I'm still not sure we've got that guy, unless Akeyemi becomes one? And the other tough decision he should take is to drop Sears. He just doesn't score enough any more, having lost confidence being sent out to the Siberian wasteland (for him) of the wing.
Looking at the squad.... on 21:52 - Jul 24 with 5459 viewsReuser_is_God

Worrying that we have one left back who can't defend & another that has zero composure.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Looking at the squad.... on 22:14 - Jul 24 with 5411 viewssyntaxerror

Looking at the squad.... on 21:02 - Jul 24 by feelingblue

Paul Taylor, what a player....
Please dont ever mention his name again, Hoofer might go into orgasm,
Looking at the squad.... on 22:15 - Jul 24 with 5411 viewsMark

We've been watching Knudsen's limitations for a couple of seasons, whereas Kenlock came in and looked better towards the end of last season. I thought Myles was relatively highly rated and he will be 21 soon, so if he doesn't get developed that will be another barrier to moving us forward unfortunately.

As for the squad, much of it is looking good but I worry whether we have a dominant centre back, someone who can win headers and hold the ball up in attack, and strikers who can score goals.
Looking at the squad.... on 23:06 - Jul 24 with 5320 viewsbournemouthblue

Skuse never has and never will thread a killer pass, this was an area where 'Dave' was a country mile ahead of him

Hopefully Adeyemi can perform his role whilst also offering more going forward

I suppose the unknown quantities are Bish, Hyam and one or two other upper and coming central midfielders

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Looking at the squad.... on 08:08 - Jul 25 with 5215 viewsitfcjoe

Looking at the squad.... on 22:15 - Jul 24 by Mark

We've been watching Knudsen's limitations for a couple of seasons, whereas Kenlock came in and looked better towards the end of last season. I thought Myles was relatively highly rated and he will be 21 soon, so if he doesn't get developed that will be another barrier to moving us forward unfortunately.

As for the squad, much of it is looking good but I worry whether we have a dominant centre back, someone who can win headers and hold the ball up in attack, and strikers who can score goals.

He looks really good going forwards, but in 2 of the last 3 matches I have seen him play he has been an absolute liability defensively - looks better in a 352 currently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking at the squad.... on 08:37 - Jul 25 with 5190 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We signed an experienced right back, and you seem to have completely missed Garner from your attacking equation

I do agree that we need 1 more up top though (which you would assume from the Bodvarsson attempt the club are working on) and another attacking/wide midfielder. Wonder if the latter may wind up being another Prem loanee late in the window when squads are finalised

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looking at the squad.... on 09:56 - Jul 25 with 5131 viewsLankHenners

Looking at the squad.... on 23:06 - Jul 24 by bournemouthblue

Skuse never has and never will thread a killer pass, this was an area where 'Dave' was a country mile ahead of him

Hopefully Adeyemi can perform his role whilst also offering more going forward

I suppose the unknown quantities are Bish, Hyam and one or two other upper and coming central midfielders

Dave was crap. Started okay and then turned useless. And he didn't thread anything. Huws was/is vastly better and Adeyemi should be to (if he's not then he's proper crap).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024