Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Student loans 20:38 - Jul 24 with 13445 viewsblueislander

First of all I have to declare that I was paid to go to University , so I really don't know that much about student loans. Did anyone think that Labour promised to cancel all the outstanding debts? If so, did that persuade anyone to vote Labour?
Student loans on 20:42 - Jul 24 with 6817 viewsParsley

No they promised to abolish tuition fees and said that they would look at existing loans but hadn't costed how to cancel them. I think they were pretty clear about this
Student loans on 20:44 - Jul 24 with 6804 viewsElderGrizzly

Student loans on 20:42 - Jul 24 by Parsley

No they promised to abolish tuition fees and said that they would look at existing loans but hadn't costed how to cancel them. I think they were pretty clear about this

For once, I agree. Labour have been stitched up a bit here by the media.

Purposefully mixing up Promise and look into
Student loans on 20:45 - Jul 24 with 6801 viewsSarge

As someone drowning in debt thanks to the blue devils currently in charge, no this didn't persuade me as I needed no further persuading. Voting is a very simple choice for students. I didn't expect they would be able to pull it off anyway, thanks to the Tories the size of the overall debt is gargantuan.
Student loans on 20:47 - Jul 24 with 6794 viewsblueislander

They have been now, but during the election campaign there was a lot of press speculation that they would be cancelled, and I am not sure that Labour, for obvious reasons did deny this.
Student loans on 20:50 - Jul 24 with 6786 viewsElderGrizzly

Student loans on 20:45 - Jul 24 by Sarge

As someone drowning in debt thanks to the blue devils currently in charge, no this didn't persuade me as I needed no further persuading. Voting is a very simple choice for students. I didn't expect they would be able to pull it off anyway, thanks to the Tories the size of the overall debt is gargantuan.

If only Blair and Brown hadn't gone back on their promise never to introduce them in the first place...
Student loans on 20:52 - Jul 24 with 6770 viewsfeelingblue

Never easy for Labour, given that student loans were their idea.
Student loans on 20:54 - Jul 24 with 6747 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 20:50 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

If only Blair and Brown hadn't gone back on their promise never to introduce them in the first place...

Blair was obsessed with creating university education for as many as possible. This resulted in the "dumbing down" of degrees. The cost of this was unsustainable.
Student loans on 20:57 - Jul 24 with 6729 viewsfeelingblue

Student loans on 20:54 - Jul 24 by blueislander

Blair was obsessed with creating university education for as many as possible. This resulted in the "dumbing down" of degrees. The cost of this was unsustainable.

He was obsessed with reducing youth unemployment.
Login to get fewer ads

Student loans on 21:01 - Jul 24 with 6711 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 20:57 - Jul 24 by feelingblue

He was obsessed with reducing youth unemployment.

Epic fail then?
Student loans on 21:02 - Jul 24 with 6711 viewsm14_blue

This is a really easy one to answer, particularly in a household with huge outstanding loans.

No, they never said they were going to.
Student loans on 21:05 - Jul 24 with 6680 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 21:02 - Jul 24 by m14_blue

This is a really easy one to answer, particularly in a household with huge outstanding loans.

Thanks. That is revealing. It seems that the press really did a stitch up, if you are typical.
Student loans on 21:07 - Jul 24 with 6667 viewsGlasgowBlue

'I don't see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.'

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Student loans on 21:08 - Jul 24 with 6648 viewsfeelingblue

Student loans on 21:01 - Jul 24 by blueislander

Epic fail then?

Not sure.

20 years later we have one of the lowest unemployment levels in the EU. All those degrees have no doubt helped no end in getting jobs at KFC, Premier Inn or Deliveroo.
Student loans on 21:11 - Jul 24 with 6628 viewsStokieBlue

Student loans on 21:02 - Jul 24 by m14_blue

Not directly no, although I would be interested in hearing your interpretation of "deal with" in the context he said it.

The Labour leader said that on top of axing fees, he would ‘deal with those already burdened with student debt’.

If you had one of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Student loans on 21:11 - Jul 24 with 6622 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 21:08 - Jul 24 by feelingblue

Not sure.

20 years later we have one of the lowest unemployment levels in the EU. All those degrees have no doubt helped no end in getting jobs at KFC, Premier Inn or Deliveroo.

On zero hours contracts?
Student loans on 21:12 - Jul 24 with 6621 viewsStokieBlue

Student loans on 20:44 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

For once, I agree. Labour have been stitched up a bit here by the media.

Purposefully mixing up Promise and look into

It's flaky though, "deal with it" is a pretty clear implication that something would be done.

I certainly agree it's not a promise though.

SB

Student loans on 21:13 - Jul 24 with 6620 viewssammyitfc

Speaking as a student who has just finished their degree, and is entering a PGCE, I agree with what has been outlined above largely. Firstly, students had a pretty clear vote for the election as the Tories are the last party any student would want in place. I also agree with the fact that they weren't ever promising to abolish all outstanding student debt, it isn't possible due to the ridiculous size of money it is. I mean my own debt is due to stand at £60,000 or so.

Overall, the Labour Party and particularly Corbyn were a simple and clear vote and it is media and other influences trying to have a cheap dig at a party who has very little going against them.

Poll: which manager and assistant would you like to see at town the most?

Student loans on 21:15 - Jul 24 with 6599 viewsSarge

Student loans on 20:50 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

Not entirely opposed to some fees. Most countries have them, Europe's are reasonable and can be paid off entirely in advance by many students. Tripling them arbitrarily was typical of Conservative malice and LibDem cowardice.

Gutted I was born in '94 though. Seems I committed some crime by doing so and will be paying for it for a very long time.

I would have liked to have been born sometime around 1938.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 21:17]
Student loans on 21:16 - Jul 24 with 6593 viewsfeelingblue

Student loans on 21:11 - Jul 24 by blueislander

On zero hours contracts?

Am I allowed to say whoosh?
Student loans on 21:16 - Jul 24 with 6594 viewsStokieBlue

Student loans on 21:13 - Jul 24 by sammyitfc

Speaking as a student who has just finished their degree, and is entering a PGCE, I agree with what has been outlined above largely. Firstly, students had a pretty clear vote for the election as the Tories are the last party any student would want in place. I also agree with the fact that they weren't ever promising to abolish all outstanding student debt, it isn't possible due to the ridiculous size of money it is. I mean my own debt is due to stand at £60,000 or so.

Overall, the Labour Party and particularly Corbyn were a simple and clear vote and it is media and other influences trying to have a cheap dig at a party who has very little going against them.

Why were they a simple and clear vote?

Tories utter rubbish I agree but Labour made up all their costings promises. The choice was a totally rubbish PM or impossible promises.

Very little going against them? They internally can't agree a brexit position and Corbyn wants out of the single market - quite a lot just there I would think.

SB

Student loans on 21:17 - Jul 24 with 6578 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 21:13 - Jul 24 by sammyitfc

Was there no Conservative Society at your University?
Student loans on 21:19 - Jul 24 with 6552 viewsblueislander

Student loans on 21:16 - Jul 24 by feelingblue

Am I allowed to say whoosh?

If you like, but I will whoosh you back!
Student loans on 21:20 - Jul 24 with 6545 viewsm14_blue

Student loans on 21:11 - Jul 24 by StokieBlue

Not directly no, although I would be interested in hearing your interpretation of "deal with" in the context he said it.

The Labour leader said that on top of axing fees, he would ‘deal with those already burdened with student debt’.

If you had one of course.

SB

I can only answer the OP for myself, I suppose others may disagree.

However, even as someone with a vested interest in the subject, I never for a second thought that Labour or anyone else would clear mrs m14's loan.

It wasn't a commitment, wasn't in their manifesto and wasn't painted on the side of a bus. Agree that the Corbyn quote is a bit disingenuous though.
Student loans on 21:20 - Jul 24 with 6544 viewsElderGrizzly

Student loans on 21:15 - Jul 24 by Sarge

Not entirely opposed to some fees. Most countries have them, Europe's are reasonable and can be paid off entirely in advance by many students. Tripling them arbitrarily was typical of Conservative malice and LibDem cowardice.

Gutted I was born in '94 though. Seems I committed some crime by doing so and will be paying for it for a very long time.

I would have liked to have been born sometime around 1938.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 21:17]

Cowardice, or 'trading' that for the 10k tax free income tax limit that was deemed to help more people on lower incomes.

Especially when most will never repay the student loans in full.

On your first point, i agree on some fees. As do students who were polled as it provides Universities with better funding. Not many wanted free education when they realised what the impact would be on the quality of courses.

Leave it to pure govt funding and courses will be cut and places too.
Student loans on 21:21 - Jul 24 with 6541 viewsSarge

Student loans on 21:17 - Jul 24 by blueislander

Was there no Conservative Society at your University?

We have one at Imperial. It has 39 members. From a student population of 17000...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024