Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An awful insight to our club's plight 22:33 - Jul 25 with 22580 viewsunstableblue

I had the chance to spend the day with a early 20s rabid Bristol City fan through work.

Lovely guy, reminds me of my 20 something self in that despite having an exciting life in Brixton he makes the pilgrimage to Ashton Gate for home games. For example he was missing a party on Friday and taking half a day holiday just to go and see them play FC Twente.

Anyway I revealed my Town fan support, AND THEN IT CAME. This awful negative view of Ipswich as a team and club.

Because you see he doesn't know the Ipswich under Robson, or Burley. Or perhaps even Royle and Magilton. He just know the dirge that is McCarthy.

"Arghhh I hate Ipswich, they play awful stuff and the games are terrible!!", "so boring, long ball", "you had that good season a few seasons back, but it's been poor" "are you the longest serving team in the championship?!"

It just really struck me how low we have sunk, and how so many on here have lowered there standards that they somehow justify the depths we have plummeted.

Yes I know as always I'm being dramatic, and indeed I had been sucked into some of that pre-season blue goggle wearing, but we need to sign 2 BIG players and mick just HAS TO CONSISTENTLY IMPROVE THE STYLE!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Who gives a toss......? on 08:56 - Jul 26 with 5164 viewsBloots

....I hate Man City and Chelsea because of the way their financial arrogance is ruining English football all the way down the leagues.

But I bet their fans don't give a monkeys.

Anyone would think that you've had (or possibly made up) a conversation with someone and merely used it as an excuse to put a barmy rant in CAPITAL LETTERS.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:01 - Jul 26 with 5160 viewsKitman

...I would have laughed at those remarks and certainly not got depressed. No, its not been good for the recent past. Anyone who thinks it has is quite frankly, mad. But an early 20's somebody or other following a lower league team who have never done sweet fa is not qualified to comment on any other club let alone ours.. This lad has just picked up media soundbites and no doubt seen our away fixture when indeed we put on one of our more regrettable away offerings..

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:06 - Jul 26 with 5151 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I don't think anyone will disagree we can and do play some rubbish football.

However, so do a lot of other teams in this league, and, we seem to be 'that team' that is constantly publicised as THE hoofball team. So any halfwit who barely follows football will instantly go with the flow and say we're awful without knowing that we're one of many and it's not always the case.

But, yeah, we can be pretty poor, no getting away from it.

Edit: I'd add that even if we played a season or two of Barcelonesque beautiful football you'll get the same fans saying we're hoofball merchants as their footballing compass wont have been reset
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 9:08]
An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:13 - Jul 26 with 5133 viewsartsbossbeard

I actually enjoy meeting up with my mates, having a beer and going to the game.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Stop being silly.... on 09:17 - Jul 26 with 5124 viewsBloots

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:13 - Jul 26 by artsbossbeard

....supporting Ipswich isn't about that!

It's about constantly shouting about how many season tickets we have sold and bemoaning the fact that we haven't spent £5m on a player that has an active instagram account and used to play for a "big club".

Get a grip.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:17 - Jul 26 with 5119 viewsartsbossbeard

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:06 - Jul 26 by Axeldalai_lama

I don't think anyone will disagree we can and do play some rubbish football.

However, so do a lot of other teams in this league, and, we seem to be 'that team' that is constantly publicised as THE hoofball team. So any halfwit who barely follows football will instantly go with the flow and say we're awful without knowing that we're one of many and it's not always the case.

But, yeah, we can be pretty poor, no getting away from it.

Edit: I'd add that even if we played a season or two of Barcelonesque beautiful football you'll get the same fans saying we're hoofball merchants as their footballing compass wont have been reset
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 9:08]

"We just don't get the ball forward early. What's the point of having a target man if you're not going to use him".

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Stop being silly.... on 09:23 - Jul 26 with 5103 viewsartsbossbeard

Stop being silly.... on 09:17 - Jul 26 by Bloots

....supporting Ipswich isn't about that!

It's about constantly shouting about how many season tickets we have sold and bemoaning the fact that we haven't spent £5m on a player that has an active instagram account and used to play for a "big club".

Get a grip.

*takes note*

An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:05 - Jul 26 with 5062 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

It's funny how the posters who are most vehemently anti-Mick always seem to bump into an opinionated stranger who, upon hearing their connection to Ipswich, goes against social conventions and launches into an unprovoked and tw@ttish tirade against us.
Login to get fewer ads

An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:08 - Jul 26 with 5051 viewsbraveblue

An awful insight to our club's plight on 22:44 - Jul 25 by ArnieM

Well based on the pre season games I've seen, and the developing team this summer, I think we will be surprising quite a few Teams this season. Town for the most part are now playing them ball on the floor, in neat little triangles. Pass and move, pass and move. Movement off the ball, several players making forward, angled runs. It seems a million miles from the old McCarthy style of the last 4 seasons. I think we will be by and large in for a bit of a treat. That doesn't mean we won't play games with a mixture of long ball approach.

Will we do that against better teams though. Will MM close up shop. Back 6 away from home. Obvious answers I am afraid.
An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:15 - Jul 26 with 5052 viewsuncle

I think it's an (awful?) insight into a significant portion of fandom that doesn't know that football existed before they got involved in it.

I'm thinking of, round my locale, city fans gloating about them just always being awesome, Chelsea fans laughing at Liverpool for a lack of success, a spurs fan my son knows telling me that huddersfield "av never achieved noffin" (I suppose the double negative means he's technically correct).

That said, I can say I'm bothered about it.
An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:52 - Jul 26 with 5016 viewsNo9

An awful insight to our club's plight on 22:44 - Jul 25 by ArnieM

Well based on the pre season games I've seen, and the developing team this summer, I think we will be surprising quite a few Teams this season. Town for the most part are now playing them ball on the floor, in neat little triangles. Pass and move, pass and move. Movement off the ball, several players making forward, angled runs. It seems a million miles from the old McCarthy style of the last 4 seasons. I think we will be by and large in for a bit of a treat. That doesn't mean we won't play games with a mixture of long ball approach.

But,in your estimation and honest opinion, how much of that was down to the fact all opposition came from lower divisions?
& if other Div 2 teams have improved their line -up's and tactics can Town really be a force - we know leopards don't change their spots etc.?
An awful insight to our club's plight on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 4999 viewsSomethingBlue

An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:52 - Jul 26 by No9

But,in your estimation and honest opinion, how much of that was down to the fact all opposition came from lower divisions?
& if other Div 2 teams have improved their line -up's and tactics can Town really be a force - we know leopards don't change their spots etc.?

Do we know leopards can't change their spots? I always think people who've decided Mick can't change (whatever "change" actually means, but let's run with it) are probably those who find it more difficult to be flexible and nimble in their own thinking.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

An awful insight to our club's plight on 11:52 - Jul 26 with 4978 viewsitfcjoe

An awful insight to our club's plight on 11:36 - Jul 26 by SomethingBlue

Do we know leopards can't change their spots? I always think people who've decided Mick can't change (whatever "change" actually means, but let's run with it) are probably those who find it more difficult to be flexible and nimble in their own thinking.

You don't hang around in the top 2 divisions for 20+ years without being adaptable - just look at how much the game has changed in that time!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

An awful insight to our club's plight on 11:57 - Jul 26 with 4966 viewsSomethingBlue

An awful insight to our club's plight on 11:52 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

You don't hang around in the top 2 divisions for 20+ years without being adaptable - just look at how much the game has changed in that time!

Exactly. I always think people are talking more about themselves when they bang on about refusal to change outlook.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

An awful insight to our club's plight on 12:04 - Jul 26 with 4957 viewsCrock

Bristol City? A more boring version of Bristol Rovers.

Poll: Favourite number?

An awful insight to our club's plight on 12:06 - Jul 26 with 4954 viewsMaySixth

who cares

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

An awful insight to our club's plight on 16:06 - Jul 26 with 4896 viewsbluewein

You're correct. That truly is an awful insight...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

An awful insight to our club's plight on 17:21 - Jul 26 with 4841 viewsNewcyBlue

An awful insight to our club's plight on 09:13 - Jul 26 by artsbossbeard

What are these "mates" you talk of?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

An awful insight to our club's plight on 05:39 - Jul 27 with 4768 viewsBenters

An awful insight to our club's plight on 17:21 - Jul 26 by NewcyBlue

What are these "mates" you talk of?

You know like you and J2.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

This is the kind of post that makes we wonder about TWTD.... on 08:57 - Jul 27 with 4730 viewsunstableblue

An awful insight to our club's plight on 10:05 - Jul 26 by DropCliffsNotBombs

It's funny how the posters who are most vehemently anti-Mick always seem to bump into an opinionated stranger who, upon hearing their connection to Ipswich, goes against social conventions and launches into an unprovoked and tw@ttish tirade against us.

And why I come on this 'football forum'

.. firsty I'm not anti-Mick, I'm anti the quality of football and the technical system and tactics on display for the majority of his tenure. If you read any of my match reports when Town put on a performance of merit I praise Mick to the hilt, and get optimistic (propbably prematurely). Last season we had 3 or 4 great performances Leeds, Newcastle for instance. And certainly I'm not expecting us to play great football every week, this is the Championship. But last season and the previous we were simply terrible, and terribly set-up and motivated. At least we should expect energy?!? If not craft.

As to my post, I genuinely met this guy, it was a football post of interest I thought. The points were it was interesting a younger version of myself who was rabid and obsessive to the detriment of other interests. I thought that would be interesting to others?!?! Now genuinely he made those comments - some d!ck called it fabrication - but that's what he said. And I thought that was interesting for me and I though the board, not specifically to have a dig at Mick, but more to consider there is a generation of young football fans who don't hold Ipswich with some regard.

Now obviously this is due to Mick in part as the Bristol fan specifically called out recent games, and as a 1000 Town fans attested singing 'you're football is sh!t' last season, but also to Jewell to Keane and to the mess we find ourselves in.

I hope that makes sense. But let me tell you if Mick can build on some good signings, deliver some passing football and energy this season, I would feckin love that.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 9:14]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

This is the kind of post that makes we wonder about TWTD.... on 10:07 - Jul 27 with 4696 viewsJ2BLUE

This is the kind of post that makes we wonder about TWTD.... on 08:57 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

.. firsty I'm not anti-Mick, I'm anti the quality of football and the technical system and tactics on display for the majority of his tenure. If you read any of my match reports when Town put on a performance of merit I praise Mick to the hilt, and get optimistic (propbably prematurely). Last season we had 3 or 4 great performances Leeds, Newcastle for instance. And certainly I'm not expecting us to play great football every week, this is the Championship. But last season and the previous we were simply terrible, and terribly set-up and motivated. At least we should expect energy?!? If not craft.

As to my post, I genuinely met this guy, it was a football post of interest I thought. The points were it was interesting a younger version of myself who was rabid and obsessive to the detriment of other interests. I thought that would be interesting to others?!?! Now genuinely he made those comments - some d!ck called it fabrication - but that's what he said. And I thought that was interesting for me and I though the board, not specifically to have a dig at Mick, but more to consider there is a generation of young football fans who don't hold Ipswich with some regard.

Now obviously this is due to Mick in part as the Bristol fan specifically called out recent games, and as a 1000 Town fans attested singing 'you're football is sh!t' last season, but also to Jewell to Keane and to the mess we find ourselves in.

I hope that makes sense. But let me tell you if Mick can build on some good signings, deliver some passing football and energy this season, I would feckin love that.

Wow you replied! Perhaps try that with your next Brexit flounce thread.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This is the kind of post that makes we wonder about TWTD.... on 10:27 - Jul 27 with 4679 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

This is the kind of post that makes we wonder about TWTD.... on 08:57 - Jul 27 by unstableblue

Good reply. My post was not necessarily about you in isolation but it is something that comes up fairly regularly with regard to conversations where some random fan launches into how sh!t we are - I have trouble believing that a) there are so many pricks about that people have the misfortune to meet and b) most of those people just happen to have an anti-Mick agenda and meeting somebody like that suits them perfectly. If I unfairly labelled you in that category, apologies.

I maintain that i couldn't give a flying fook what some little oik thinks of us but anyway, here's to a better season than last.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024