Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
08:01 - Jul 26 with 10818 views_

on 09:19 - Jul 26 with 2945 views_

Fitness advice... on 09:07 - Jul 26 by bobbyramsey

Sounds like you need to "up" your beer intake lol

on 09:22 - Jul 26 with 2941 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:40 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

I know this is what you are trying to ensure, but make sure you don't burn yourself out trying to get fit.

Might just be worth picking up a cheap book on strength and conditioning for football - because I'd guess long sistance running and cycling aren't going to do much for you once you can do either for 90 minutes - need core and explosive exercises

Fitness advice... on 09:23 - Jul 26 with 2940 viewsTIB

on 08:24 - Jul 26 by _

As others have mentioned...HIIT workouts probably your best bet now. Whilst 33 miles on a bike is good, maybe reduce the miles and mix in moderate cycling with periods of intense cycling to really get the heart rate up...replicate those phases in games when you'll have to go from a moderate jog to a sprint.

Another thing to consider is how you recover...you look like you're really in the zone now and it's easy to get carried away with training and not allow recovery time, whether that's resting, eating or using supplements. Recovery is just as important as the training itself.

Keep it up though dude, will be well worth it.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

on 09:29 - Jul 26 with 2930 views_

Fitness advice... on 09:23 - Jul 26 by TIB

As others have mentioned...HIIT workouts probably your best bet now. Whilst 33 miles on a bike is good, maybe reduce the miles and mix in moderate cycling with periods of intense cycling to really get the heart rate up...replicate those phases in games when you'll have to go from a moderate jog to a sprint.

Another thing to consider is how you recover...you look like you're really in the zone now and it's easy to get carried away with training and not allow recovery time, whether that's resting, eating or using supplements. Recovery is just as important as the training itself.

Keep it up though dude, will be well worth it.

Fitness advice... on 09:36 - Jul 26 with 2912 viewsartsbossbeard

Have you tried spinning? Real big calorie burning sweat fest session. Twice a week does wonders for your cardio with the added advantage of no strain on your knees or feet.

There's a dedicated club in Ipswich now:

https://spinipswich.co.uk/

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Fitness advice... on 09:37 - Jul 26 with 2906 viewstcblue

I haven't read the whole thread but for me, kettle bells were the answer. They're small enough to store away, you need minimal space for them and I can do a 15 minute workout which is much more efficient at building fitness and burning calories than jogging for an hour.

Loads of great videos of workouts on YouTube. I started with only one, and just mastered the swing before moving onto other things.

Five years later, I still hate Turkish get ups.
Fitness advice... on 09:45 - Jul 26 with 2888 viewsuncle

After being (astonishingly) Ill, and doing no exercise beyond walking for 6-8 months, I've been swimming a lot, and am now up to about a kilometre a day, 3 days a week. Not a quick exercise, but it's done me the world of good. Ive lost over a stone, and I can run about seemingly forever.
Still cant hit a cows rear with a large implement at 5-a side though, so it's not a miracle worker
Fitness advice... on 09:58 - Jul 26 with 2875 viewsitfcjoe

Fitness advice... on 09:36 - Jul 26 by artsbossbeard

Have you tried spinning? Real big calorie burning sweat fest session. Twice a week does wonders for your cardio with the added advantage of no strain on your knees or feet.

There's a dedicated club in Ipswich now:

https://spinipswich.co.uk/

I've never done Spin but am currently doing a lot of running in preperation for the Twilight 10k in a few weeks, always hear good things about it so may be something worth looking at - presume the 'Spintro' classes they note on their website are a good starting point?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Fitness advice... on 10:09 - Jul 26 with 2864 viewsDeano69

There was some useful stuff in this post from Newcy

Any gym rats out there? by NewcyBlue 28 Mar 2017 6:50
Anyone got any routines or exercises that they always do?

Anyone tried this Insanity or P90X stuff? It all seems a bit daft to me. Plus our gym deck is polished so a tad slippery. The bodyweight HIIT stuff seems to be all the rage at the moment.

The biggest problem for me is that I have very little control over the food available to me.

We have a fairly good gym on board that has a decent amount of weights, and we have a few cardio machines although the treadmill has a flat spot on it so can get a bit hairy at speed.

I have a long ocean crossing coming up and will aim to carry on with my weight loss (7kgs in 7 weeks now).

Anyone have any supplements they swear by? I bought some Hydroxycut for the trip and will try them on this crossing.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Fitness advice... on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 2857 viewsartsbossbeard

Fitness advice... on 09:58 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

I've never done Spin but am currently doing a lot of running in preperation for the Twilight 10k in a few weeks, always hear good things about it so may be something worth looking at - presume the 'Spintro' classes they note on their website are a good starting point?

Yep definitely.

After the first class, you'll think never again but once you get into the swing of things, it's a really decent workout. Class environment always helps motivate too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Fitness advice... on 10:17 - Jul 26 with 2853 viewsitfcjoe

Fitness advice... on 10:13 - Jul 26 by artsbossbeard

Yep definitely.

After the first class, you'll think never again but once you get into the swing of things, it's a really decent workout. Class environment always helps motivate too.

Might look at that after I've done my 10k then as a bit behind on progress for that due to an injury so need to focus on running

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fitness advice... on 10:18 - Jul 26 with 2852 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 09:58 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

Spin classes are great. I've only ever done 4/5 (a couple of months ago) and loved them. If it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy playing squash so much, i'd definitely do spinning instead.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Fitness advice... on 10:43 - Jul 26 with 2827 viewswkj

Squash - Honestly I rate a friendly high paced squash game as a great 40 minute workout, and breaks up the monotony of Gyms. Gainsborough and Northgate have some fantastic courts and is included with iCard membership

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Fitness advice... on 10:46 - Jul 26 with 2819 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:43 - Jul 26 by wkj

Squash - Honestly I rate a friendly high paced squash game as a great 40 minute workout, and breaks up the monotony of Gyms. Gainsborough and Northgate have some fantastic courts and is included with iCard membership

Unfortunately squash is no longer included in the iCard membership, this is the reason me and my mate have cancelled our memberships there and gone to Henley Road Sports Club.

You are now charged £4.25 per 40 minute session, the card now only gives you 50% off all courts (including badminton).

Me and my friend worked out, given we played 3 times a week, and double sessions, that we would be forking out near on £100 each a month (including our memberships).

Fitness advice... on 10:48 - Jul 26 with 2815 viewswkj

Fitness advice... on 10:46 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Unfortunately squash is no longer included in the iCard membership, this is the reason me and my mate have cancelled our memberships there and gone to Henley Road Sports Club.

You are now charged £4.25 per 40 minute session, the card now only gives you 50% off all courts (including badminton).

Me and my friend worked out, given we played 3 times a week, and double sessions, that we would be forking out near on £100 each a month (including our memberships).

That is the most ridiculous thing I think I have heard of - To me that almost renders the iCard useless

Crybaby

Fitness advice... on 10:50 - Jul 26 with 2808 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:48 - Jul 26 by wkj

That is the most ridiculous thing I think I have heard of - To me that almost renders the iCard useless

It is the most ridiculous thing ever, but it is also true. Exactly that, and was the reason why we ended up cancelling. Apparently they have lost loads of members. We were offered an all in squash card for £45 a month, but that meant we wasn't able to use the gym, or swimming etc.

As I say, we've now cancelled and gone up Henley Sports club where we can use everything for just a small bit more a month than what we were paying for the sport centres.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 10:51]

Fitness advice... on 10:52 - Jul 26 with 2803 viewswkj

Fitness advice... on 10:50 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

It is the most ridiculous thing ever, but it is also true. Exactly that, and was the reason why we ended up cancelling. Apparently they have lost loads of members. We were offered an all in squash card for £45 a month, but that meant we wasn't able to use the gym, or swimming etc.

As I say, we've now cancelled and gone up Henley Sports club where we can use everything for just a small bit more a month than what we were paying for the sport centres.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 10:51]

is it 41.50 for just squash, or are there other things included? I need to start changing my plans for when winter arives and I play more indoor sports

Crybaby

Fitness advice... on 10:52 - Jul 26 with 2802 viewsReuser_is_God

Fitness advice... on 08:19 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, but perhaps look to add squash in to your routine one evening a week or something? I've been playing squash quite seriously for just over a year now (3 times a week, double sessions), and I've lost 3 and a half stone and been the fittest I have ever been, even more so when I was around the age of 14/15/16 playing football, week in, week out.

Obviously you'd need someone to go with, and I've been very fortunate a good mate of mine has helped my by coming along every time, but it really is a fantastic sport to be honest.

I ran up Cliff Lane hill twice yesterday, killed me!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Fitness advice... on 10:54 - Jul 26 with 2796 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:52 - Jul 26 by wkj

is it 41.50 for just squash, or are there other things included? I need to start changing my plans for when winter arives and I play more indoor sports

The £41.50 monthly fee was mainly for the gym, classes and swimming. Any courts, such as squash and badminton have become chargeable, and with the card you get 50% off the court fee. Squash was £85.0 per 40 minutes, so obviously with the card, it's £4.25. Still a complete rip off, mind.

As I say, we was offered a squash card for £45 a month, but all we could do was play squash an unlimited amount of time. We wouldn't have been able to use the gym, swimming at Crown Pools or anything else.

Fitness advice... on 10:57 - Jul 26 with 2789 viewswkj

Fitness advice... on 10:54 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

The £41.50 monthly fee was mainly for the gym, classes and swimming. Any courts, such as squash and badminton have become chargeable, and with the card you get 50% off the court fee. Squash was £85.0 per 40 minutes, so obviously with the card, it's £4.25. Still a complete rip off, mind.

As I say, we was offered a squash card for £45 a month, but all we could do was play squash an unlimited amount of time. We wouldn't have been able to use the gym, swimming at Crown Pools or anything else.

As I re-read your post, I was talking about Henley Road - But i didnt see you had said there that it is an all inc price for a bit more. Cheers for that

Crybaby

Fitness advice... on 10:57 - Jul 26 with 2790 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:52 - Jul 26 by Reuser_is_God

I ran up Cliff Lane hill twice yesterday, killed me!

Come play tennis up the sports club one night if you want buh?

Fitness advice... on 10:59 - Jul 26 with 2787 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:57 - Jul 26 by wkj

As I re-read your post, I was talking about Henley Road - But i didnt see you had said there that it is an all inc price for a bit more. Cheers for that

I see, apologies. Yes, for a little bit more a month, we get everything included ... tennis, squash, gym, spin classes etc.

Everything seems a bit more well kept up there as well.

Fitness advice... on 10:59 - Jul 26 with 2784 viewswkj

Fitness advice... on 10:57 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Come play tennis up the sports club one night if you want buh?

I might have to - I am heading away for a few months for work, but when i get back i'll be well up for that. Might have to get the TWTD squash league going at this rate

Crybaby

Fitness advice... on 11:01 - Jul 26 with 2780 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice... on 10:59 - Jul 26 by wkj

I might have to - I am heading away for a few months for work, but when i get back i'll be well up for that. Might have to get the TWTD squash league going at this rate

More the merrier! All I've done for 3 years is play squash against a mate of mine, so i'd like to see how I fare against other players as well.

Fitness advice... on 11:01 - Jul 26 with 2777 viewsTIB

on 09:29 - Jul 26 by _

BCAA's work well, especially for recovery after high cardio workouts, although you can use them pre-workout also. Essentially they help the muscles recover quicker / stop muscle breakdown and I really noticed a difference when I started using them, specifically the morning after a workout as I wouldn't be anywhere near as sore, achey or tired.

Whey protein is another supplement, possibly one that is most associated with bodybuilding and getting hench...that said, it can be used in weight loss and as a way of maintaining muscle mass when you are doing lots of cardio / cutting. I've gone from 15.4 to 14.4. over the last 5 weeks using a high protein diet with a shake mid-afternoon which suppresses any hunger and prepares me for an early evening workout. Depending on my meal post-workout I may have another shake.

There is lots out there though, MyProtein have a really good range and their website is good for directing you towards products that match what you are looking to do i.e. Gain Muscle Mass, Lose Weight etc. They've also got a 65% sale on at present so I'll be doing an order tonight.

By no means am I some mega athlete / body-builder but working alongside a really top-notch personal trainer I've learned a thing or two. I'm back in the zone now though...hitting 15.4 was my wake-up call...I wasn't fat as such. but being quite top-heavy naturally, with added muscle + beer 4-5 nights a week I wasn't happy so I've had to cut my weight down but try and keep strength and at the minute I'm on point...

My biggest learning is that beer in the week is bad and finding healthy but fulfilling foods is key to maintaining any sort of fitness journey...carrots and low fat hummus being this weeks fix

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024